• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jan 2 - 5. Are we CRAZY???

livinfreeinaz

Earning My Ears
Okay so we have been looking forward to this trip all year. Everyone needs a little magic, and hoping that DL will be the fix.

We are leaving on Jan 1, driving to San Diego, Sea World for the afternoon. The next morning we will get up and leave early. And DL by 9:00 am. So tell me the good the bad and the ugly expectations of the crowds??? We actaully thought it would be better to wait until after the holidays, for the crowds. But now I am having second thoughts. Not sure of what to expect. Have tried to prepare the family. Kids are great and go with the flow. DH is not so great in crowds.

Please share your thoughts on the crowds the week after New Years. Wanted to see the parks during the Holidays with all of the decorations up.

Thanks,
LivinfreeinAZ :earseek:

Yep. You're certifiable.

But at least you'll have a lot of company! :-)
Me included. We'll be there on the 4th through 7th.

As for the good, bad and ugly... it looks to be mostly ugly. The good news is that it will likely not be as crowded as the week between Christmas and New Year's.

We were there for the christmas-new year's week a couple of years ago, and we survived just fine. You need to be flexible and recognize when you (or DH) hits their limit and needs to get out of the park.

Be waiting at the gates when the park opens. Take advantage of fastpasses and if you have the ability to do a AAA vacation package with enhanced fastpasses, do it. Everyone comes up with their own plan or strategy, but I highly recommend finding out what two or three rides the kids MOST want to do in any one day, and going straight there when gates open. When DL gets too crowded cross over to DCA and enjoy the space over there.

It can be a lot of fun despite the crowds, and we can always do a rain dance and watch the sky.

I have seen that some kids are out of school till the 8th of January. Also all of us that have the So.Cal select pass can come back for the fisrt time on the 3rd. So it could very well be crazy. People activating their season pass and such..
I personally am going, but just to go see Its a small world. As the 3rd is the last day that it is decorated for the holiday.Then closed for a few weeks to undecorate.. It could be crazy, but this past couple of months have been un predicatable because of the 50th.

Most vacationers have left by then. So the choce is yours.

We are then going back on the 6th, 9th, 11th and 13th..

HAve a great trip!

We'll be right there w/ you.... don't know for sure which days yet, but sometime in there we'll be at DL - and loving every (well, almost every!) minute of it!!! :)

myAAbatteries&aTD

I see we have Daughters with the exact same name...
My DD almost 1 is Aurora Noel. Born Dec 21st..

How about that...
She was due on my birthday, but came early.

I chose Aurora after the princess. My husband liked it because it was the same name as the car.

Have a grat trip!

Rapunsel

We'll be there 1/1-1/3 and are expecting it to be crowded. We're staying at the DLH and are mostly going to enjoy the hotel and relax. We have AP's and go once a week, but my kids are out of school until the 9th, so we're doing a mini-trip.

Just plan your day. Also, if you plan on eating counter-service at Disneyland DO NOT eat during peak times. They are understaffed and if you go during peak times, your wait for food will almost be an hour. DCA isn't bad only in Disneyland.

We ate at Hungry Bears (or whatever it's called) on Saturday around 1:00 and we waited 1/2 to order and another 20-30 minutes to get our food. It was horrible. It may not be as bad during the weekdays, but they are still understaffed everywhere.

Have fun!!
:flower: ,
Katie

With the 50th celebration and the National Championship at the Rose Bowl, the parks should be extra busy early January. Expect to see plenty USC and Texas gear.

Plan to come early and use those fastpasses. Have a great time!

Rapunsel - that's almost unbelievable.... Dh really liked Aurora (at first b/c it's kinda like my name -Rory- and then b/c of her being a Princess and we named our first dd Avery BELLE) so it was his idea and I really like it, too. Her bday is today (December 18th) - she was due on Dec. 31st but came early on the FULL MOON... We've never met another Aurora in person (besides at WDW, lol) and to find someone w/ the same name and middle name is actually kinda neat! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter