January 2021

Steelcityfanatic

Earning My Ears
Hey guys!

In the grand scheme of things, our Disney trips are pretty unimportant. However, most of us here certainly look forward to them and this season of chaos has probably caused for many of us to feel the need for vacation with each passing day. With that said, I’m looking forward to January 2021, but starting to feel nervous with recent news of how long these changes may be in place. How are those of you planning for early 2021 trips to WDW feeling about the prospect of what things will look like? Do you think the reservation system will still be in place and park hoppers still on hold? Will it be worth the expense? Just wondering everyone’s thoughts. In March it would’ve seemed ridiculous to question June trips, yet here we are😅 so maybe January is at more risk than we think.

*Disclaimer: please don’t share your thoughts if it’s going to be snarky☺️

I think if you can make reservations that are refundable/changeable and things don't look the way you want in January then there's no downside to planning the trip and see how it goes. My concern is that the fall/winter will not be any better and perhaps worse in terms of problems with the virus happening along with the regular flu season. I sure hope it doesn't happen and you can go without worry but my guess is at the very least the precautions will still be in place this winter.

Selket thanks for your reply! I’m hoping things are on the mend but what you predict could be an unfortunate reality😢

I’m in a similar position with reservations for November. I’m in a wait and see mode. I can cancel if the situation isn’t to my liking, either because of limitations on elements or because of changing risk level of travel.

A lot can change in only a few months. We don’t really even know what the situation will be in July and August. There are so many speculations on different threads right now, but we won’t really have a true picture until people go and report back.

This is already the third reservation for me, and the two trips that didn’t happen were planned so beautifully with awesome FP, ADRs, etc. I don’t want to postpone yet again. I also don’t want to have a disappointing time, nor do I want to stress about illness or contagion during my trip. I really think it’s a toss up at this point.

I sure hope it doesn't happen and you can go without worry but my guess is at the very least the precautions will still be in place this winter.
I will say that the precautions will be less onerous in the winter, even if they are still in place. Masks in temperate weather are largely a matter of acclimation. As a nurse, I have to wear a mask for the entirety of my shift, and I don’t even notice it anymore. But step outside the climate controlled hospital, and walk to my car in the summer heat and humidity, and suddenly I am keenly aware of my mask.

And while jumping into a pool is a near necessity in a Florida summer, it’s more optional in the winter. So even if there are pool capacity limits in place, there won’t be the same demand that might keep people out this summer.

Last edited:
The way I am looking at things is that Disney is, hopefully, releasing info on July reopening soon. As far as whether you can park hop, how they are going to handle park reservations, etc.
Once they reopen they will adjust as needed, add more restaurant openings, more character options, etc. Until we know their plans on phase 2, considering they haven't fully released phase 1 yet, it is all a guess on how things will work.

There will be people who will wait to see how things progress and others who don't care how they progress and won't go at all. I am in the wait and see category. Once I have a full picture I can make a decision on going or cancelling based on what I think is best for us. Without all the facts it is hard to make a decision either way.

We currently have reservations for a split stay - POFQ/Poly (cash/DVC) for Marathon Weekend. At this point, we're already invested with our runDisney registration, so we are all in. We are not concerned about the park hopper option at this time; it's really just a convenience. We are just going to sit back and try to remain stress-free about our trip until we see how Wine&Dine is handled.

Keeping an open mind as well. We will be happy to be at Disney. Things will be different for sure. I will be disappointed if I cannot walk over from the Boardwalk to EPCOT every evening. It will suck if the innkeepers club at BWI has not opened back up. At the end of the day though we will go with the flow and be happy we are still able to go. I am excited to hop on a plane. Love airports and love the journey down!

I have a quick trip with some friends Jan 20-22 staying at Old Key West! I have never stayed there so I am super excited. We will all go to MK on the 21st and then fly back home the following day. I was at WDW in January this year and it was wonderful.....low crowds and cool weather!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter