• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

****January 2024 planning thread!!!

So what’s everyone doing in January with no parades and no entertainment? Anything special in the parks you make plans to do/see in lieu of that?

In the past we never cared because our kids were young so we were early to bed and our days weren’t as intense. This visit our kids will be 3&6 so we can do a bit more.

So what’s everyone doing in January with no parades and no entertainment? Anything special in the parks you make plans to do/see in lieu of that?

In the past we never cared because our kids were young so we were early to bed and our days weren’t as intense. This visit our kids will be 3&6 so we can do a bit more.
We were thinking of going bowling one evening at splitsville, but then I realized that it would be about $100 for us to bowl (3x the amount it would be at home!), plus food and drinks, and I don't really love bowling all that much, so now I'm not sure! Looking for ideas too! My kids are 8 and 11.

Boyfriend and I will be there 1/12-1/16 for the half marathon, staying at the HoJo Anaheim. Only doing parks Sun 1/14 and Mon 1/16. After that we'll be hitting up San Diego and the LA area.

My 2nd time ever to DL (1st time was Tinker Bell Half in 2017) and my BF's 1st time! I am definitely bummed about the nighttime shows though, WoC was a highlight of my first trip. :sad:

1702411213272.png

Boyfriend and I will be there 1/12-1/16 for the half marathon, staying at the HoJo Anaheim. Only doing parks Sun 1/14 and Mon 1/16. After that we'll be hitting up San Diego and the LA area.

My 2nd time ever to DL (1st time was Tinker Bell Half in 2017) and my BF's 1st time! I am definitely bummed about the nighttime shows though, WoC was a highlight of my first trip. :sad:

View attachment 817339
You might look into hiking to the Hollywood sign.

Hollywood Sign Hiking

https://www.hollywoodsign.org/hiking

There will be some entertainment if you're going towards the end of Jan. They start the Lunar New Year celebration, and I believe there is a small parade along with a mini-food and wine type event, (small pop-up stands for themed food and drinks). Weather permitting, there should also be fireworks on the weekend.

That being said... I'm definitely interested in seeing what other folks here think/are doing, because it definitely sucks WoC and Fantasmic! aren't running.

Last edited:
There will be some entertainment if you're going towards the end of Jan. They start the Lunar New Year celebration, and I believe there is a small parade along with a mini-food and wine type event, (small pop-up stands for themed food and drinks). Weather permitting, there should also be fireworks on the weekend.

That being said... I'm definitely interested in seeing what other folks here think/are doing, because it definusucks WoC and Fantasmic! aren't running.
Yes we will be there the day Lunar New Year kicks off so that’ll be exciting! Last year we missed it by a few days.

Disneyland key in park entertainment in January
  • World of Color - ❌ refurb
  • Fantasmic - ❌ dragon caught fire
  • Magic Happens - ❌ no reason just don’t feel like it
  • Wondrous Journeys - ❌ Here’s a worse show just to mix it up
This honestly stinks

We will be there Jan 4-9. Well, Universal Jan 4-6 (my kids want to go to Super Mario World) and Disneyland at the VGC Jan 6-9. We planned this at the 11 month mark, and don’t have flexibility to move.

I’m both excited - haven’t been to Disneyland before Covid - and disappointed at the amount of entertainment closures while we are there.

I’m trying to figure out what to squeeze in when before the 8th and what’s worth watching starting the 8th. I have the WOC Dessert Party for the 6th. Any thoughts?

Unpopular opinion, but we actually MUCH prefer MMM to Wonderous Journeys. We actually did a special trip this year (I can't recall when...maybe May?) to see Wonderous Journeys + Magic Happens since we would miss it for the Halloween and Christmas seasons but were not that impressed with WJ.

Magic Happens is spectacular, though so bummer on missing that. MMM is just so upbeat and fun, though. I think it also makes a difference where you are watching it. On Main Street, it's difficult to figure out where to look and feels almost like it's TOO much going on, but at the ROA there seemed to be a good balance of projections + fireworks.

All that to say....we're excited for January!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter