• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

January 27-30 with a 1 year old & 2 year old

We are excited for our trip from January 27 through January 30. We plan to go to California adventure on Sunday and Disneyland on Monday and Tuesday. Do you recommend having my one-year-old and two-year-old wear thermal underwear under their clothes? Bring a few blankets? I know it will be cold. I would also appreciate any other tips that you have. I will be bringing a double stroller and snacks. Going to the Storyteller character breakfast Monday. Thanks!

I suggest checking the forecast in the days leading up to your trip so you can get a better idea of the temperature/chance of rain. I've never had my girls wear thermal underwear but I suppose it wouldnt hurt.
Follow your kids' leads and set your expectations low. Understand that you may be stuck in Fantasyland for hours or riding Mad Tea Party five times in a row.
Also, bring backup clothes, small ziploc bags for clothes that get dirty, and hand sanitizer/antibacterial wipes.

I have been told to dress in layers..

Last year during the those dates the high was in the 80s :) But I know it gets chilly in the evening. I will wait till we get closer for clothes planning.. (we are going the same days too!)

Definitely dress in layers. We usually keep a blanket plus some hoodies for each kid under the stroller. They wear them in the morning when they first head out to the parks, take them off as it warms up, and then put them back on after the sun goes down. Now, with two teeny ones, you may not actually be in the park that whole time, but it's nice to have that as an option. The weather's a bit unpredictable, so I'd check a bit closer to when you're going. Like a previous poster said, you may end up with shorts and t-shirt weather!

Definitely also try to bring a change of clothing for each kid in case of accidents - we try to do knit pants/leggings and light long sleeve shorts for both pairs of clothing so it's easier to roll up and stick in the stroller. For diaper/clothing changes, I have a small toddler-sized backpack that I keep all the diapers, wipes, and clothing changes in, and I clip that to the stroller with a carabiner - makes life much easier to just grab that and go rather than rummaging around in the stroller for everything if there's been an accident!

If it's really cold and you just need to warm up, there's the animation building at DCA and the Star Wars Launch Bay at DL - you can't bring the stroller in to either place but the kids can run around inside. They also might like the Disney Junior Dance Party (or whatever it's called now) in DCA, which is inside.

I'm guessing it'll be more than just you and the two kids, so you can use child swap if you want to ride anything the kids are too small for. Basically, you bring your whole party up to the line entrance and ask the CM for a child swap pass, telling them Adult 1 will go on the ride, while Adult 2 waits with the kids. They'll scan Adult 2's ticket and give them what's basically a FP that starts at the approximate time you'll be getting off the ride and lasts for an hour. When you're done riding, Adult 2 can then ride using the FP line. When my kids were little, my husband would get an FP for, say, Space Mountain, and I'd grab one for Big Thunder Railroad during the kids' nap times, and then use child swap so we'd both get to ride both rides. If your kids will sleep in the stroller, this can be a nice way of getting some grownup time. We still have fond memories of pushing our sleeping kids around the park and just enjoying the sights.

Yup i was there last year during those exact dates. Its was really hot and humid. Very disappointing for me as I am from hawaii and hate that weather.

Sticky, sweaty and in line waiting for rides is smelly and disgusting.

I was there in early December. I loved my down coat at night. Jeans and long sleeves in the day. No long underwear.

Thin Mittens and hats are good idea.

1&2 is good. Don’t take them at 3&4. Worst ages ever for the park. We went last march.

I think it depends on the kids really. 3 and (almost 4 now) have been some of the best times we’ve had! To be honest 2 was great for us too. Maybe my kid just loves Disney, lol.

OP have a great time. Bring changes of clothes for them in large gallon ziploc bags so you can swap out a new outfit if they have a blow out or spill food/drink all over. Then zip up the dirty clothes in the ziploc and voila! Clean child, clean bag, all is good!

I think it depends on the kids really. 3 and (almost 4 now) have been some of the best times we’ve had! To be honest 2 was great for us too. Maybe my kid just loves Disney, lol.

OP have a great time. Bring changes of clothes for them in large gallon ziploc bags so you can swap out a new outfit if they have a blow out or spill food/drink all over. Then zip up the dirty clothes in the ziploc and voila! Clean child, clean bag, all is good!
It probably depends on the kids. But I think it’s different having them both a year apart. My 4 yo would have been fine as a single. 2 todddlers is so chaotic. One not walking is a-ok!

I have been told to dress in layers..

Last year during the those dates the high was in the 80s :) But I know it gets chilly in the evening. I will wait till we get closer for clothes planning.. (we are going the same days too!)
Thank you! That’s great, both our families are in store for some Disney fun!

I suggest checking the forecast in the days leading up to your trip so you can get a better idea of the temperature/chance of rain. I've never had my girls wear thermal underwear but I suppose it wouldnt hurt.
Follow your kids' leads and set your expectations low. Understand that you may be stuck in Fantasyland for hours or riding Mad Tea Party five times in a row.
Also, bring backup clothes, small ziploc bags for clothes that get dirty, and hand sanitizer/antibacterial wipes.
Those are great tips, thanks!

Definitely dress in layers. We usually keep a blanket plus some hoodies for each kid under the stroller. They wear them in the morning when they first head out to the parks, take them off as it warms up, and then put them back on after the sun goes down. Now, with two teeny ones, you may not actually be in the park that whole time, but it's nice to have that as an option. The weather's a bit unpredictable, so I'd check a bit closer to when you're going. Like a previous poster said, you may end up with shorts and t-shirt weather!

Definitely also try to bring a change of clothing for each kid in case of accidents - we try to do knit pants/leggings and light long sleeve shorts for both pairs of clothing so it's easier to roll up and stick in the stroller. For diaper/clothing changes, I have a small toddler-sized backpack that I keep all the diapers, wipes, and clothing changes in, and I clip that to the stroller with a carabiner - makes life much easier to just grab that and go rather than rummaging around in the stroller for everything if there's been an accident!

If it's really cold and you just need to warm up, there's the animation building at DCA and the Star Wars Launch Bay at DL - you can't bring the stroller in to either place but the kids can run around inside. They also might like the Disney Junior Dance Party (or whatever it's called now) in DCA, which is inside.

I'm guessing it'll be more than just you and the two kids, so you can use child swap if you want to ride anything the kids are too small for. Basically, you bring your whole party up to the line entrance and ask the CM for a child swap pass, telling them Adult 1 will go on the ride, while Adult 2 waits with the kids. They'll scan Adult 2's ticket and give them what's basically a FP that starts at the approximate time you'll be getting off the ride and lasts for an hour. When you're done riding, Adult 2 can then ride using the FP line. When my kids were little, my husband would get an FP for, say, Space Mountain, and I'd grab one for Big Thunder Railroad during the kids' nap times, and then use child swap so we'd both get to ride both rides. If your kids will sleep in the stroller, this can be a nice way of getting some grownup time. We still have fond memories of pushing our sleeping kids around the park and just enjoying the sights.
Awesome, thanks for the great tips!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter