January DLR Weekend Trip Report

OlliePop27

Mouseketeer
This will be my first ever trip report. It will take me a while to get through it all, so this will just be a preliminary post.

I experienced a lot over the long MLK Weekend, and I have a lot of feedback about recurring questions people have - Multiple Experience Passes, LL Acceleration, ILL, Genie+, rain, GC Hotel, character dining, ride refurbs, nighttime entertainment, crowds, Magicband+, ride breakdowns, going during a slower time of year and more. I've been to DLR over 20 times in my life, spanning the early 90's to today. I was an expert FP user, and this was my first time using Genie+.

The trip included my wife, my 3.5 year old and myself. My wife was pregnant at the time, and therefore unable to ride many things on this trip. My son was 41 inches tall, and therefore able to ride a lot of things on this trip. We flew from about 2.5 hours away via our major home airport with ample daily nonstop flights to all LA area airports. We were fortunate to fly into and out of SNA at a very reasonable price. This is always my preferred airport, especially with a young one. This time proved again how great SNA is. It also proved how fortunate we are to be able to easily fly nonstop and not have to worry about layovers or connecting flights.

This was also our first time ever going in January, and only our second time ever going outside of the summer (May-September) timeframe, making rain a real possibility when we booked. It ended up raining at some point on all 3 of our main park days - more about this later. It was also odd to go during a "slower" time of year, and there are definitely tradeoffs I'll discuss later too. I have fond memories of going during the summer, and after two consecutive winter trips, I see pros and cons to both, but summer is still my preferred time of year for many reasons.

Our first day was Friday, 1/13, starting with a flight to SNA. I'll plan to pick things up here in my next post.

Friday, 1/13

It was a bit odd travelling this time of year, right after the holidays and right after travelling out of state to visit family during the holidays. This is what worked with our schedules for a variety of reasons, with MLK Day off work and preschool, and the pregnancy getting further along, then a newborn coming soon. We only had to take two days off work. We booked the trip in September, then watched all the Disney 100 announcements get made. We expected Toontown would be closed when we booked, but to find out we were missing the new ride, new Toontown, and new nighttime shows by just a few weeks was disappointing. We took a positive attitude and hoped this would mean lighter crowds. I always look to book a trip when the two lowest level AP/MK are blocked out. Imagine and Enchant were blocked out the Sat-Mon of our trip.

We had an uneventful flight into SNA, with only a small mechanical delay of about 30 minutes. We landed at SNA around 11:15 am to partly cloudy and mild weather. The high temperature was around 65 this day – it had actually been milder at home leading up to the trip and the whole time we were gone.

We used Anaheim Town Car services for transportation to/from SNA, as they provide competitive pricing and a car seat so we don’t have to bring our own. We used them before and had a great experience both times now. When we landed slightly late at 11:15 am, our driver had texted me that he was waiting and to let him know when ready. I told him about 20 minutes. We got down to baggage claim, used the restrooms, and got our bags in about 20 minutes, so I texted the driver the pole number we were at. He promptly arrived in less than 5 minutes with the car seat already set up and we were on our way to DLR.

The drive was uneventful and took less than 20 minutes. We arrived at the GCH and the driver unloaded our bags. We were originally booked to stay at the DLH, but changed about a week out to the GCH. We did this due to the likely rain, the young kid, pregnant wife, and the winter discount I was able to snag with the Disney Visa. We were really excited to stay at DLH, as I used to stay there on my annual trips to DLR as a kid in the 90’s, but not since. We got excited to stay at GCH now too, but expected the theme wouldn’t be as much our style. For this particular trip, I’m happy we ended up staying at the GCH over the DLH because of proximity, but I’m not sure it’s the right choice for us in the future. The walk to the DLH is not much further, the monorail is a convenient option at DLH, and the theming suits our tastes at DLH much better. Compared to offsite, it’s really hard to say if the GCH is worth it – it’s obviously very subjective. I think the early entry is a great perk for us because of the time difference, but the location is nominally better, or not better, than some offsite options. We’ve stayed at BWPPI and Tropicana several times right at the front of the respective hotels. I think those rooms might be closer than many at the GCH (to DL not DCA of course), except for crossing the street at Harbor. Our last trip in November 2021 we stayed at a Park View Suite at the Tropicana, which was a terrific experience with a balcony overlooking DL, the monorail, and TWO rooms and two bathrooms.

Back to GCH arrival. Upon exiting the shuttle, no one from bell services offered (or was available) to help us, so we managed to carry our bags into the lobby on our own. I had checked in online, but it was only about 12:30 so our room wasn’t ready. We went to check in to find out we were second in line for a room, but we opted to check our bags at bell services to get some food.

Our son sat down at the kids chairs with the Mickey cartoons, which he loved, while my wife and I shuffled things around our luggage for items to take into the parks. I got bell services to take most of our items for storage, and as they were carrying the bags away I got the text that our room was ready! It was right around 1:00 pm.

Bell services walked us to our room with our luggage. We were in room 3248. I used the digital key, which did not work great, so I ended up getting key cards at the front desk. This was our first stay at the Grand, but we had been in the hotel many times before walking to/from Stovall’s Inn on Katella on previous stays (about 10 years ago). Room 3248 is about as far as you can possibly be from Downtown Disney and the Main Lobby, and our room overlooked Goofy’s Sky School. I was originally frustrated by the room location because of how far it was and the potential noise. The location is across the street from the Paradise Pier Hotel. I called in advance at 5 days out to request a daybed/King, and a room not near Goofy’s Sky School – I didn’t get either request. Once we got into the room and my son saw the roller coaster and the ferris wheel, he loved it. I was also pleased with how well the heavy door blocked out the noise. I ended up growing to like the room location.

We got into the room, got situated, and headed out around 1:30 to find some food. I stopped on the way to pick up our stroller rental from bell services. I used ScooterBug to have it left at bell services, which was spectacular. The pricing was great, the convenience was unbeatable, and it was so easy to pickup and drop off with bell services. They are the only ones allowed to do this as they have a relationship directly with Disney – I highly recommend it. We went to the Craftsman Grill for grab and go food and a kid’s power pack. The food was all fine, nothing notable. We then entered DCA through the hotel entrance right next to Craftsman Grill.

We originally did not have park tickets on our arrival day, opting to only have 3 day park hoppers for our main days of Saturday – Monday. About a week out when we saw the potential for a rainy and cold trip, we opted to add 2 days to our tickets for arrival and departure days (arrival and departure days not having rain forecasted). I’m very glad we did, and it was a great decision for this specific trip. In the future, assuming good weather, I would prefer to not go to the parks on arrival day so as to take more advantage of the pool and hotel amenities when staying on site, along with Downtown Disney.

We also got Magicband+ before the trip for all of us, including my 3-year-old. I did not think he would wear the band, but ended up wearing it the entire time. He loved the lights on the rides and scanning into the park. I’m the main person who plans, holds tickets, books LL, etc., so not having to take my phone out for everyone was really great. It was super easy to scan into the parks and rides – I can’t recommend Magicband+ enough. We charged them every day, but they don’t even need a charge for scanning in.

We scanned into DCA near GRR, which was closed during this trip. This area of the park was incredibly empty the whole trip because of the ride closure. I jumped onto the DL app and booked us a LL for Big Thunder. We walked over to Paradise Gardens Park to do some rides that might be closed in the rain. We did Jumpin’ Jellyfish, Golden Zephyr, Emotional Whirlwind, and looked at the line for Pal Around but it was a bit long. I was able to get an immediate return time booked for an ILL at RSR.

This was our first trip with Genie+. Overall, I’m a fan of Genie+ at DLR. I wish Disney would go back to Maxpass with the FP rules instead of the 1 ride per attraction per day and 2 hour window. If I want to ride Big Thunder 5 times with Genie+, but not Space Mountain, why can’t I? Here’s my biggest complaint with the system – Individual Lightning Lane. What an absolute scam. Disney should be ashamed of themselves for this pure money grab. There’s absolutely no justification for charging extra for this ride, or any ride, outside of the Genie+ system. Why not just charge more for Genie+ and include RSR and ROTR?

Anyways, we spent the $15 per person for RSR, had a short wait, and my son absolutely loved it. He wanted to go again, but we explained that there were other things to see. We walked through Avengers Campus to head down Buena Vista Street to DL, but we ended up stopping to meet Goofy and Pluto. My son and wife then rode the Red Car Trolley – what a great ride, I’m so happy this is back and my son loved it.

We did finally make it to DL, and the marching band was coming out, so we stopped to watch their set at 3:30 (my wife actually has a high school friend/marching band companion in the DL band who we saw playing). We then saw Big Thunder was down, so we started thinking about dinner since it was almost 6 at home.

We come from central time, so 2 hours ahead of CA. This always has positives and negatives when going to DLR. This is a huge advantage for early entry with a small kid, as he’s always up and ready to go. On the flip side, it makes staying up for nighttime entertainment really hard.

Back to dinner. We mobile ordered at Alien Pizza Planet, which went fine. Nothing special about the food, but nothing bad either. Overall, I’m not a big fan of mobile order at DLR and I don’t think it’s handled well at the parks (I love mobile order outside of DLR). I’ll discuss mobile order more as experiences come up. During dinner, I booked a 5:00 Autopia to try the acceleration trick with the Multiple Experience Pass I got from Big Thunder being down – it worked! We scanned into Autopia at 4:40 with a 5:00 return time, and the Autopia LL went away, but not the MEP.

We went to Big Thunder, but it was still closed, so we went to FL. I got another MEP since Big Thunder was still down (I had booked again). We rode Alice and Storybook Land with the MEP, being scanned into the exit of each, but the passes did not go away from our account. I read about this online, and I don’t know why it happens, but the MEP’s often did not go away even when being scanned. My son and I rode Mad Tea Party standby, then we did the carousel. We then noticed Big Thunder was back up, so my son and I rode it twice! My son loved it and really liked the explosion effect, which worked well on Friday.

We could have kept going, but it was nearly 7:00 at this point and 9:00 at home, so we called it a night. We also had to pick up a grocery delivery from Bell Services. I had groceries delivered from Walmart around 4:00 – it worked great. Bell services delivered to the room. Unfortunately, our loaf of bread was missing because Walmart forgot it – this meant no sandwiches (they refunded us). We had luckily gotten some bagels that lasted us the whole trip.

After getting our son to sleep, I went in search of a loaf of bread. Not in the GCH gift shop, not in DCA. I looked at Pacific Wharf and the large bread loaves were there, but the lines were crazy. This was a Friday night in DCA around 8:00, with no MK block outs, with rain during the upcoming weekend. Crowds were insane, just locals walking around having a good time with drinks and food. It reminded me a lot of the pre-Covid days on Friday nights without block outs – crazy busy. We went in November 2021 right before Thanksgiving, and reservations were still lower and more block outs because of the holiday. Keep MK block outs in mind if planning a trip – Friday was very light crowds until late afternoon, then insane at night (a pattern I’ve seen many times over the years).

Unsuccessfully locating a bread loaf, I went back to the hotel to get ready for bed around 9:00. I explored the new PPH entrance/exit next to Corn Dog Castle. I discovered how to easily access it right below our room – what an incredible convenience for the rest of the trip!

Last edited:
Saturday, 1/14

We woke up around 5:30 am, prompted largely by my son who thought it was 7:30. We made breakfast in the room (cheerios with milk, strawberries, blueberries, banana) and I made coffee from the Keurig. We got ourselves ready for the parks and headed out around 6:20, arriving at the GCH Downtown Disney security check at about 6:26. We were third in line. At this point, the sun was just starting to come up, but it actually was not very cloudy yet. It was expected to start raining after 10:00 and rain much of the day. We were prepared with ponchos, rain jackets, umbrellas, rain shoes, and a stroller cover. The stroller cover was the single best item we brought on the trip for the rain. This was my first ever trip to DLR with rain in about two dozen visits.

As to the crowds, the security check was not very busy, even when it opened at 7:00. This was a theme for the entire MLK weekend. The two lowest MK were blocked out. The Disney 100 events started in 2 weeks. The weather was going to be bad. Several rides were down for refurb. There was no Fantasmic scheduled. The holidays had also just ended. The crowds at the parks Saturday, Sunday and Monday per Thrill Data were 1 or 2 out of 10, some of the lowest levels over the past 365 days. I’m curious how busy the weekend would be without Disney 100 and rain.

We waited at security for 30 minutes and my son enjoyed watching the monorail start to go by overhead. We made it to the DL turnstiles shortly after 7:00 at the front of a gate, and they actually had dedicated early entry turnstiles. This was the only day of the trip this was the case. Not sure why they did it on this one day only – they were the same signs they used to use in the old Magic Morning days. We got into DL right at 7:20, and were directed to the right through the Main Street bypass. The Wonder Years TV show was filming on Main Street so it was not yet open. We were held to the right of the hub by Tomorrowland until 7:30 and released into the park. We made it onto Peter Pan quickly, then rode Dumbo, Mr. Toad, Snow White, and saw Pinocchio was down. We went to the Frontierland entrance in front of the crush of people for park opening, looking to go to Big Thunder. Big Thunder was down. Jungle Cruise was down.

We tried to figure out what to do, but I had booked an 8:00 Matterhorn which was also down, giving us the Golden Tier MEP to use all day. This allowed us to accelerate any LL or ride any attraction in either park all day, except for ROTR, RSR or PP. I booked Matterhorn with no intention of riding, as my son and wife were not able ride it on this trip. If Matterhorn had ended up being online at park open, I would have switched to a different ride. Indy was down for refurb this whole trip, which is usually the ride most frequently broken down and in the Golden MEP tier.

I can’t remember what we ended up doing at 8:00, but I believe we went over to ride Haunted Mansion Holiday. Another quick aside here about attraction closures. We knew going right after the holidays that numerous things would be closed for refurb. I was not surprised to see Indy down, and I was okay with it since my son isn’t tall enough anyway. I expected HMH would be down and Small World Holiday would be up, but I wasn’t shocked to see they switched it up because of the Toontown opening in a couple of weeks. We were very disappointed about missing Small World Holiday again, as we went in November 2021 when it was closed due to the flooding. I’ve still never ridden Small World Holiday in all of my visits (remember I mostly go in summer) and I haven’t ridden Small World at all since 2018! GRR was also closed on this visit, along with the entire walkway from New Orleans Square into Adventureland, so everyone had to go through Frontierland.

We were excited about Haunted Mansion Holiday, and my son loved it. Despite not going in 2022, we still saw the last two gingerbread houses (November 2021 and January 2023). I believe we next rode Millennium Falcon, Autopia again, then Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Winnie the Pooh, and Pirates. At this point, it was starting to rain moderately. I had a ROTR ILL for my son and I. Before ROTR, we ate a lunch we brought into the parks on the first floor of Hungry Bear by the bathrooms (under cover). I went with my son to ROTR while my wife waited. Afterwards, we went over the Monorail to head back to the hotel around 12:30 for nap and rest time. The monorail had no wait, and two trains were running. We hurried from the DTD monorail station to the GCH. On the way out, people were flooding out of the park in droves which we could see well from the monorail. It was raining moderately and steadily at this point, and rain was in the forecast the rest of the day.

It ended up raining very heavily during our hotel break, while my son napped for over 2 hours. It worked out very well. We had a 4:20 Goofy’s Kitchen reservation, and we walked over around 4:00. It was raining less hard now. We walked across Disneyland Drive past PPH. We were seated immediately, and the experience was great as it has been before.

When we left the DLH around 5:30, the rain had mostly let up. We went to DCA through DTD/Main Entrance to do Webslingers, Soarin’, Monsters Inc., Little Mermaid, Pixar Pal Around, and Toy Story Mania. We had Genie+ and MEP for some of these, but honestly, it wasn’t needed. The park was completely empty because of the rain (even though it was mostly over at this point). We headed back to the hotel again around 7:30. I went back out around 9:00 to DL to do the Matterhorn, which also had no line. It was raining on and off lightly, but still mostly over at this point. I saw Mickey’s Mix Magic with projections only on my way out (fireworks were cancelled because of rain/wind). The park was open until Midnight, and I could have done any ride with no lines because of how empty it was. I went back to the hotel and got to bed around 10:30.

Sunday, 1/15

We started at DL again this day. We arrived at GCH bag check around 6:35, and were about 5th in line this time. Waited and went again to DL turnstiles, but no dedicated early entry lines this time. We were in the front of a DL gate without a problem. The CM at our turnstile was not all with it, and we got bogged down for several minutes trying to scan in. This time we were directed down main street to the early entry area on the right and held until 7:30. This time Peter Pan was closed at opening (not even cycling vehicles yet), so we did Alice, then Mr. Toad, Dumbo, and saw Casey Jr. was open early so did it with a train to ourselves. The weather this day was great – it was cool but it didn’t rain at all until much later in the day. The sun actually came out for several hours.

My memory of exactly the order we did things next is fuzzy, but I believe we did Big Thunder again, then Jungle Cruise, Finding Nemo, Autopia, the train from Tomorrowland to Toontown, Tangled at Fantasy Faire, Splash and Winnie the Pooh and HMH. I believe we then headed out close to 1:00 and rode the Omnibus down Main Street to Town Square. We also met Winnie the Pooh and Eeyore while we were over in Pooh Corner.

We took another several hour break and nap, then headed down to Craftsman Grill for dinner around 4:30. This was one of the bad mobile order experiences we had. I ordered from our room, and we arrived during the pickup time. I checked in on our way down. Despite this, it still took 30 minutes for our food to be ready, and they didn’t have a dedicated pickup area. I had to wait in line once I got the notification our food was ready, all to pick up a bag just sitting there behind the counter. My wife’s order was also incorrect, so we had to wait even longer. The CM at the cash register was not very helpful or friendly.

We headed into DCA at the entrance by GRR, and it was raining lightly at this point, on and off. We walked straight through Buena Vista Street to the Esplanade to head into DL. We did the Carousel, Pinnochio, Pirates and the Tiki Room. I mobile ordered Dole Whip, but it actually took longer than just walking up, and this caused us to just miss a show. We had to stand around in the rain for 15 minutes waiting for the next one.

We then went back to DCA and did Soarin’ and tried Webslingers, but it was down. We went back and did Toy Story, then decided to try seeing if fireworks would happen since it was the last night they were scheduled. We waited on Main Street and it ended up being projections only, but was still neat to see Mickey’s Mix Magic even without fireworks. We went back to the hotel and into bed around 10:30.

Monday, 1/16

We got a bit of a later start for a DCA morning, and opted to try the Corn Dog Castle entrance. We arrived third in line at 7:05, and were held outside security until 7:20, then were held next to Corn Dog Castle until 7:30 when released into the park. This entrance is great if you have a later start. We walked to Webslingers, but it was down. We were among the first people there at all from any entrance. We decided to do Soarin. We then went all the way back to do Toy Story standby, then Maters twice in a row with no wait. It rained very lightly to start the day, but was mostly done by 9:00, but it was a cool day in the mid-50’s.

After Mater’s, my son and wife rode the trolley a couple of times, then we did Phillarmagic, then Monsters Inc, then animation building, then Disney Jr. After this, we did the Disney Visa Meet, which ended up being Stitch. Afterwards, we walked to Storyteller’s for our 11:20 breakfast. This was a great experience, with great food and character interaction – also very convenient to DCA. We left there just after 12:00 and saw the Spiderman show, then did Webslingers with LL. We went back to the hotel for rest/nap, but my son would not nap this day. We headed back out around 3:30.

We went into DL for the first time of the day, and rode Big Thunder again, and tried Splash, but it was down all night. We were able to do Winnie the Pooh yet again, then ate at Hungry Bear via mobile order. After eating we rode HMH, Pirates, Star Tours, and took a roundtrip on the Monorail. We headed to DCA to do Toy Story several times with a bunch of MEP’s we had accumulated, before getting Mango ice cream from Frosted Treats. We headed to the yellow section for WOC’s 9:00 showtime. We arrived at 8:40 and it was pretty empty still. We waited for the show, then watched it and left right through the Corn Dog Castle exit to the GCH. We got our son to bed around 10:00 this night and packed up as much of the room as possible to leave the next day. We could hear the new WOC testing from our room around 11:30, but we didn’t go onto the balcony to see any of it.

Last edited:
Tuesday, 1/17

We got up and had breakfast around 6:30, as well as packed more. We managed to make it down to the DTD security entrance around 7:00 and the line was backed up, but it only took about 5 minutes. This was a cooler morning, starting at about 42 degrees but with full sun.

We made it to DL before it opened and were in the park shortly after 7:20 and just shortly back from the front of the EE rope. We made it onto Peter Pan after waiting 10 minutes for it to cycle. We did Dumbo and Toad again, then Casey Jr. We then did Big Thunder and Splash, then Winnie the Pooh right at 9:00 to finish things off. We headed back to the GCH to finish packing up our room, leaving to head to the lobby around 9:40. My wife went shopping in the gift shop for a couple items she wanted, then we headed out to the front for our Anaheim Town Car shuttle back to SNA. The shuttle showed up at 10:05 – basically on time since I scheduled it for 10:00. Our flight was scheduled for 11:52, and I always find that I have too much time at SNA. We arrived at SNA at 10:22 – yes, less than 20 minutes. We checked our bags and headed to security. The regular security line was very backed up, halfway down the terminal. We have precheck and breezed right through with no one else in line.

We ate at McDonald’s, then found out our plane was going to be slightly delayed – only 20 minutes. We had a fast trip home, touching down at about 4:45 CT. Our bags came out quickly and we headed home with a family member who picked us up, getting home in about 20 minutes. We were starting to unpack our stuff in our house at about 5:30 CT, only about 6.5 hours after we left Winnie the Pooh in Critter Country! I’m always amazed with how easy it is from where we live to travel to SoCal, as long as everything is on time – if only our schedules allowed for more visits.

I’ll finish up with one final post about trip thoughts and recommendations.

Thank you for sharing! It sounds like you had a wonderful trip and accomplished a lot!
You're welcome, thanks for reading! It was a great trip with a 3 year old. It's such a great age to be able to go. Now we just have to figure out when we can go back!

You're welcome, thanks for reading! It was a great trip with a 3 year old. It's such a great age to be able to go. Now we just have to figure out when we can go back!
We took our daughter last June right before she turned 3 at the end of July so that she was still free! I’m taking her without my husband and some diff ent family this March. She loves it!

We took our daughter last June right before she turned 3 at the end of July so that she was still free! I’m taking her without my husband and some diff ent family this March. She loves it!
Fantastic, have a great trip - please report back! I've never been in March and look forward to hearing experiences about visiting that time of year. March is spring break season where we live, but I know spring break is mostly around April in CA.

Fantastic, have a great trip - please report back! I've never been in March and look forward to hearing experiences about visiting that time of year. March is spring break season where we live, but I know spring break is mostly around April in CA.
Yes, I'm a teacher so we are going on our Spring Break. We went during Spring Break prepandemic and it wasn't any worse than our Summer trip. From what I've seen, my week of March 20-24 may not be as bad as some of the other Spring Break weeks, but I could also be very wrong!

Final Thoughts
  • SNA – Great experience at this airport and still our family’s preference. Would think differently without nonstop options, but we’re fortunate to have 5 daily nonstop options to SNA. We’re also fans of ONT (harder transport options) and LAX is manageable if it’s significantly cheaper (always factor in transport costs and time).
  • Anaheim Town Car – Great and reliable options to/from DLR with a car seat provided. Highly Recommend.
  • GCH – The hotel’s convenience is obviously great, but it is not our family’s first choice. The DLH theming better suits our tastes. We really missed out with the cold weather, so we didn’t get to take advantage of the pool. Still torn about onsite vs. offsite. The early entry is a great perk for us because of the time change, but there’s only a limited amount open at the parks each morning and rides are often broken down. I hope the cost of GCH allows us to stay there again in the future, as it’s normally out of budget. Might look at DVC point rentals the next time.
  • Early Entry – As noted above, early entry is great for us because of the time change. We accomplished a lot. The one frustration is the ride closures every morning and not being aware of what will or will not be open. Peter Pan and Webslingers were closed during 2 of our mornings.
  • Genie+ - Big fans of it for DLR, especially using some of the tricks to take most advantage of the system. It includes Photopass and helps maximize time.
  • ILL – Absolutely hate it. I hope this eventually goes away. Our family is not a huge fan of ROTR, so it doesn’t impact us a lot for DL. We do love RSR and presumably will like MMRR, so will have to evaluate ILL and Rope Drop for these.
  • Park Hoppers – Still big advocates of it. Can’t imagine doing DLR without hoppers. The 1:00 restriction never much bothered us since we have a toddler, but I’m thrilled to see it moving up to 11:00. I can imagine spending a whole day in DL without going to DCA, but I can’t imagine a DCA day without DL, so another reason why we’re not fans of one park per day tickets.
  • MLK Weekend – Coming around to really like this as a travel weekend. Two lowest level MK’s are blocked. Not as many out of towners because it’s right after the holidays. Two big caveats – rain and Disney 100. It rained at some point every day, which certainly lowered crowds. Disney 100 also started 2 weeks later – presumably lowering crowds some too. Still have to imagine one of the better holiday weekends to travel of the year to DLR for lower crowds.
  • Rain – This is an unfortunate possibility traveling in January. It rained at some point on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Despite the rain, there was a lot of dry time, and the rain was completely manageable. We came prepared for it with the right mindset and equipment, and powered through. We were prepared for the rides that close and visited those during dry times. Overall, we were impressed with how well the parks continue to run in the rain and how much there is to do in the parks in the rain. Just be prepared for something like Winnie the Pooh – the ride loads outside even though everything else is inside.
  • Magicband+ - Big fans. Such a great convenience. The little one liked the lights on the rides and shows. The cost is a bit steep, but it’s reusable. I don’t find the charging to be difficult – we charged during afternoon breaks and at night. You don’t even need any charge to scan into parks and rides. I often kept mine turned off and it still worked.
  • Ride Refurbs – Another negative about MLK weekend. Either iasw holiday or HMH will always be closed – this year it was iasw. Another major ride is also likely to be down – this year Indy. Also, GRR is almost always going to be closed. Also, Fantasmic was not shown during our trip, and it often goes dark for a few weeks in early January. Fireworks were not scheduled on MLK Monday either, but were scheduled over the weekend (cancelled every night due to rain/wind anyway). Toontown was also still closed, which was a bit unique this year in terms of additional down time.
  • Ride Breakdowns – I believe the issue was slightly worse than prior trips, but honestly, rides have always broken down for the entire 30 year history I’ve visited DLR. I hope this issue is improving compared to reports from last fall. Just be flexible and adapt as much as possible. I tried to view it as a positive for the MEP’s. Our son was disheartened to see BTMR or Splash down, but we would come prepared with alternatives and check back when things were online again.
  • Character Dining – Goofy’s Kitchen Dinner and Storyteller’s Brunch were great. Expensive, but really impressive experiences. We used a Disney Visa to get 10% off. The Disney Visa also got us 30% off hotel rooms. We never otherwise use the card, but have had it for years stored away.
  • Crowds – As noted above, it’s Disneyland and it’s always crowded. Certain parts of the park are always congested, but ride wait times were not bad. DCA at times felt empty especially on MLK Day. I know people want to go during summer, Halloween, Christmas, etc. (I do too), but there are still times of year when crowds are lower – this is one of them. Everyone must balance the tradeoffs of ride closures vs. lower crowds.
  • Summer vs. Winter – I’m still personally a fan of summer, partially due to nostalgia. I love that the summer has max entertainment, nightly fireworks, max park operating hours, max ride uptime, and warm/hot weather for pool activities. It’s more crowded, but I think rides not being down for refurb, no rain, and nightly fireworks (maybe a parade) all make up for it.
Overall, another great DLR trip and our family can’t wait to go back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter