Jesus Christ Superstar live

SamFaniam

DIS Veteran
I know this is a rerun from a couple of years ago, but I didn’t see it the first time around. It’s pretty good, and John Legend can really sing. But he’s not much of an actor. The guy playing Judas is really good, although that is the showiest role in the musical anyway.

Andrew Lloyd Weber is using YouTube to screen his musicals every Friday (a different one each Friday). Last Friday it was Jesus Christ Superstar. The show tonight is part of that bunch of shows that were filmed "live" for television, I believe.

There are two different productions. The productions that Andrew Lloyd Weber airs on YouTube on Fridays for 48 hours. That one has already expired. (It was actually a better production, IMO. I was pleasantly surprised. And I'm fussy when it comes to watching JCS, as it's one of my favorite musicals. I posted my review of it on the Broadway thread.)

Then there's the one on now on NBC with John Legend. In comparison, after watching the other one, with a stellar singing and acting cast, this production is too much in the style of talking/singing for me. Where people talk much of the lyrics instead of singing them.:headache:

I know this is a rerun from a couple of years ago, but I didn’t see it the first time around. It’s pretty good, and John Legend can really sing. But he’s not much of an actor. The guy playing Judas is really good, although that is the showiest role in the musical anyway.

Judas is played by Brandon Victor Dixon. He’s an actor/producer on Broadway. He’s been nominated for a Tony, and played Aaron Burr in Hamilton for a while. I watched this show when it was first broadcast, and agree he was really good. I would have liked to have seen him play Jesus, because I think he would have been much more charismatic than John Legend. I kept thinking “who would want to follow this meek guy?” about Legend’s portrayal of Jesus, but of course he is a name lots of people know, and a way to get eyeballs for the show.

I love the JCS film from ‘73. All the productions I’ve seen since that one have been disappointing to me. To me Yvonne Elliman is the definitive Magalene.

John Legend and his wife’s politics are a turn off to me. I can’t help the way I feel.

I would have liked to have seen him play Jesus, because I think he would have been much more charismatic than John Legend. I kept thinking “who would want to follow this meek guy?” about Legend’s portrayal of Jesus,

You would have really liked the production that was aired on YouTube. Too bad they only left it up for 48 hours. They should have extended it over Easter. That Jesus was modern, edgier, more down to earth, street-wise and had some real depth to him. He could act. Here is my review over on the other thread:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...hings-broadway.2061008/page-252#post-61765594

I saw it when it first aired and enjoyed it and I usually don’t like the televised live productions.

You would have really liked the production that was aired on YouTube. Too bad they only left it up for 48 hours. They should have extended it over Easter. That Jesus was modern, edgier, more down to earth, street-wise and had some real depth to him. He could act. Here is my review over on the other thread:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...hings-broadway.2061008/page-252#post-61765594

I would like to see that, so hopefully they’ll decide to show it again. I guess I should’ve been following the Broadway thread!

Are you familiar with the filmed one where Glenn Carter plays Jesus? I like that one because it has Tony Vincent in it, and he’s one of my favorites. We saw him 20 years ago on Broadway and he was playing Judas and in that version.

Ted Neely was the original and best. I feel the same about Carl Anderson's Judas too. I ♥JCS.

There was a touring production a number of years ago with the rockstar Sebastian Bach playing Jesus. Carl Anderson was Judas. As part of his contract with the tour he was provided with a massage therapist at each location. My friend's dad was his massage therapist while he was in our town. We went to see the show, in which he was wonderful, and Sebastian Bach was Sebastian Bach, and then we got to go backstage and meet him. He was very kind.

There was a touring production a number of years ago with the rockstar Sebastian Bach playing Jesus. Carl Anderson was Judas. As part of his contract with the tour he was provided with a massage therapist at each location. My friend's dad was his massage therapist while he was in our town. We went to see the show, in which he was wonderful, and Sebastian Bach was Sebastian Bach, and then we got to go backstage and meet him. He was very kind.
Cool!🥰

I can't believe Anderson's been gone for 16 years. Time flies...

Last edited:
Are you familiar with the filmed one where Glenn Carter plays Jesus? I like that one because it has Tony Vincent in it, and he’s one of my favorites. We saw him 20 years ago on Broadway and he was playing Judas and in that version.

No, the only other filmed production I've seen is the Ted Neely version that others have mentioned. I like his interpretation. He was a Jesus that had one foot in this world, yet, you could tell, he was seeing into other (heavenly) realms and could lead a flock as a messiah. John Legend, not so much.

The YouTube version of Jesus, was, as I said more down to earth. He could have been a coworker sitting next to you, named Jesús, pronounced HAY-soos. ;) He has the desk next to yours. As you get to know him, you realize he's saying some really profound, inspirational and empowering stuff. As others learn of him, they start listening too. As he gets popular, people referred to him as Jesus instead of Jesús. And we get the start of Christianity, from the coworker, at the desk next to yours. :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter