Jet Blue

pat fan

Sad my tag won't fit :(
So my husband needs needs assistance to stand, is there enough room for me to help him up if he has the aisle seat? Also, is whomever in the window seat going to be so annoyed if he can't keep moving for them?? Not sure what else to do. The front row seats (facing wall) were out of our price range.

The amount of space is going to vary by aircraft type. It looks like Jetblue mostly has at least 32" of pitch (the space between a point on one seat and the same point on the seat ahead) which is one of the most generous seat spacings currently available for economy.

I don't know how much help your husband needs, but I suggest you call or Chat Jetblue to discuss how much assistance they can give you. https://www.jetblue.com/at-the-airport/accessibility-assistance/boarding-process-accessible-seating has some information to get you started.

1-855-ADA-LINE (232-5463) for disability services
https://www.jetblue.com/contact-us/chat can be used to add special travel needs and may be able to connect you to disability services via text

So my husband needs needs assistance to stand, is there enough room for me to help him up if he has the aisle seat? Also, is whomever in the window seat going to be so annoyed if he can't keep moving for them?? Not sure what else to do. The front row seats (facing wall) were out of our price range.

I would consider the option of using the window seat if feasible. It’s impossible to say how someone might feel if your husband can’t move for them, but there’s a fair chance that person may have an urgent situation and may have to physically climb over your husband. If that could cause stress or injury, it may be a reason to think about the window seat.

Additionally, as to standing… I’m about 5 foot tall and I can comfortably stand even if in the window seat on most planes. I’ve never been on one where a taller person could stand right in their seat space with the overhead bins above, so he’d have to probably stand in the aisle. That could mean he would be crowded by others standing and trying to get off the plane. So again maybe a reason to consider the window seat where he could wait for others to deplane, you could assist him and he can take his time getting up?

Just trying to think of how to minimize the stress you may feel from other, at times less patient, passengers. From a frequent flyer 😉

While in general people don't like to be asked to give up their seat, it can be worth having a honest conversation with the person in the window seat when you sit down and offer them the option to switch to the aisle (assuming your husband can safely sit in the window seat). Particularly because aisle vs middle is negligible for most people, not like window vs middle

If they say no, the flight attendant can often help you find alternative seats.

In fact, you may be able to speak to the gate agent about this and they may be able to help resolve this before you board.

Of course give JetBlue a call as well as mentioned above, but if the call center person doesn't help you out or tells you it needs to be done day of at the airport, what I previously listed are some options you can try day of.

To be in the aisle seat, he will need to be able to move. So, if a window seat is still available (b/c it does not sound like you have booked yet), I would look for that seat.

It will avoid all the stresses you are worried about.

While in general people don't like to be asked to give up their seat, it can be worth having a honest conversation with the person in the window seat when you sit down and offer them the option to switch to the aisle (assuming your husband can safely sit in the window seat). Particularly because aisle vs middle is negligible for most people, not like window vs middle

If they say no, the flight attendant can often help you find alternative seats.

In fact, you may be able to speak to the gate agent about this and they may be able to help resolve this before you board.

Of course give JetBlue a call as well as mentioned above, but if the call center person doesn't help you out or tells you it needs to be done day of at the airport, what I previously listed are some options you can try day of.

You are correct in trying to solve this prior to flying.
Most flights in and out of Orlando are completely full so changing seats the day of is nearly impossible.
Also if someone has paid for a more expensive seat and is asked to switch seats it’s not fair ask that person to do so.

Most flights in and out of Orlando are completely full so changing seats the day of is nearly impossible.
Also if someone has paid for a more expensive seat and is asked to switch seats it’s not fair ask that person to do so.
I didn't say to ask people to switch seats outside of the row. I said to explain to the person in your row in the window seat the situation and give them the option to have the aisle instead. Also, I have paid more for aisle and window seats on multiple airlines, but NEVER was one more expensive than the other in the exact same row. If that's a thing it is BRAND NEW information to me.

And yes, flights are usually fully booked, but Jetblue has a fare class called Blue Basic in which seats are not assigned in advance. So those seats are "booked" but their actual seat number can fluctuate, so they can be moved around. This is the type of thing gate agents can do. And people in Blue Basic paid zero extra dollars for anything.

I agree. I am picky about where I sit & always pay to upgrade my seat on JetBlue. While I don't object terribly to being ASKED to move, it's really tiresome to be constantly asked to move & then painted as the Devil because I decline to do so. It doesn't matter how hard I try to be courteous about it, somehow I'm evil for declining. Even the flight attendants can be judgemental. I book extra leg room on an aisle in this row on this side of the plane because that is genuinely what I want.

Having said all of that, I have travelled extensively with people with mobility challenges & they have always assured me that they just need to be realistic & as proactive as possible. They "ask, but don't expect", is how one friend explained it.

I get the extra legroom seats when I can, because if I have to spend the entire flight with my knees jammed up against the back of someone's seat (especially someone who can't sit still), my arthritis will be so much worse when I land that I'll need wheelchair assistance even if I didn't before. You can bet nobody else is going to get the seat I was forced to pay more for to accommodate my own disability.

I agree. I am picky about where I sit & always pay to upgrade my seat on JetBlue. While I don't object terribly to being ASKED to move, it's really tiresome to be constantly asked to move & then painted as the Devil because I decline to do so. It doesn't matter how hard I try to be courteous about it, somehow I'm evil for declining. Even the flight attendants can be judgemental. I book extra leg room on an aisle in this row on this side of the plane because that is genuinely what I want.

Having said all of that, I have travelled extensively with people with mobility challenges & they have always assured me that they just need to be realistic & as proactive as possible. They "ask, but don't expect", is how one friend explained it.
Nobody should have to justify why they don't want to move from a seat that they picked and especially if they paid extra for.

Thank you all! I had already booked. I chatted with Jet Blue on the chat service (don't ever do that) about advice on the outbound flight, and instead, she removed us from our front row seats on our incoming flight. Total panic attack. I called them when I got home from work and a wonderful employee gave us back those seats and gave us the same seats, free of charge on the outbound! He couldn't understand why the other person removed us with my husband's issues, but at least it's set and we're ok.

Nobody should have to justify why they don't want to move from a seat that they picked and especially if they paid extra for.
I got BLASTED by a woman who called me every name in the book because I wouldn't move & she was just being a good mom & blahblahblah. Then she stepped OVER the seat AND her child to get into the row she'd booked. I admit to saying aloud (not proud of the snark), "Yeah, great mom." Several people snickered, so I know I wasn't alone. And I'm sure she went & told everyone who would stand still long enough how evil I was for not moving out of my premium seat to accommodate her. <shrug>

I got BLASTED by a woman who called me every name in the book because I wouldn't move & she was just being a good mom & blahblahblah. Then she stepped OVER the seat AND her child to get into the row she'd booked. I admit to saying aloud (not proud of the snark), "Yeah, great mom." Several people snickered, so I know I wasn't alone. And I'm sure she went & told everyone who would stand still long enough how evil I was for not moving out of my premium seat to accommodate her. <shrug>
There are crazy people everywhere. It sure does seem like society has taken a downturn and many feel like they are more important than the rest of us.

There are crazy people everywhere. It sure does seem like society has taken a downturn and many feel like they are more important than the rest of us.
I do hate the term "Karen" & the idea that anyone who expresses an opinion or asks for something is a selfish, horrid person. But, there are selfish, horrid people!

I do hate the term "Karen" & the idea that anyone who expresses an opinion or asks for something is a selfish, horrid person. But, there are selfish, horrid people!
No harm in asking, it is the expecting of it that is the problem.

Thank you all! I had already booked. I chatted with Jet Blue on the chat service (don't ever do that) about advice on the outbound flight, and instead, she removed us from our front row seats on our incoming flight. Total panic attack. I called them when I got home from work and a wonderful employee gave us back those seats and gave us the same seats, free of charge on the outbound! He couldn't understand why the other person removed us with my husband's issues, but at least it's set and we're ok.
Glad to hear you got it sorted.
Most airlines leave the bulkhead seats unassigned ahead of time or only assign them ahead of time to people with disabilities who need that extra space.

Also, don’t be surprised if a disabled person who can’t get out without assistance is required to sit in the window seat. That is so in an evacuation situation no one would be required to crawl over them to get out of the plane. My daughter is a pretty small adult who needs to be lifted into her seat. We book 3 seats in the same row and put her between us. Flight Attendants have told us she is supposed to be in the window seat for evacuation safety, but seeing how easily we crawl over her, they make an exception for us

My husband is disabled and has mostly lost his left side. We always sit aisle and aisle. This way I can help him to get up quickly if need be. Works for us and we've never been told he has to sit in a window seat. I'd never be able to get him out in an emergency. Both JetBlue and Southwest are awesome to fly if you have a disability.

My husband is disabled and has mostly lost his left side. We always sit aisle and aisle. This way I can help him to get up quickly if need be. Works for us and we've never been told he has to sit in a window seat. I'd never be able to get him out in an emergency. Both JetBlue and Southwest are awesome to fly if you have a disability.

This is how I sit with my Mom. Aisle-Aisle. On Delta, the aisle arm rest goes down, so we lower that and then she turns with her legs into the aisle and then, I help her stand up (hold one hand and one near a shoulder). Works well for us and we have never been told we can do that. And Delta knows we have a wheelchair as we bring it with us to the plane (she does walk the aisle). Unfortunately, we have had 2 flights where they changed our seats and we ended up with me in a middle seat next to her and I cannot help her get up nearly as well.

What do you do when the people beside him need to get past him?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter