• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

jewelry shopping in grand cayman

cinders28

Earning My Ears
Is the duty free shopping in Grand Cayman really THAT much cheaper than buying gold or diamond jewelry in the US? What about the quality? Anybody do any shopping on recent trips? Hubby is thinking of shopping for earrings as our lucky 13 is coming up during our cruise month!!!!

If you are on the western cruise, save your jewelry shopping for Cozumel. Grand Cayman jewelry shopping isn't that great of a deal - but Cozumel can be!

GOING NEXT MONTH, WHERE DO YOU RECOMMEND IN COZUMEL? CAN'T DO DISNEY THIS TIME BUT HA! I'LL TAKE A CRUISE ANYTIME, ESPECIALLY IN THE WINTER!!!:bounce: :bounce:

We had good luck (and so did my sister on a previous trip) with a place called Rachat and Rameros - don't quote me on the spelling!
They sell jewelry and also loose gemstones. My sister got a good deal on some sapphires and I got a really good deal on an emerald/diamond ring. Last time I was there I couldn't find a deal on what I wanted, but I was in a big hurry and didn't have time to look around a whole lot.
They are probably one of the "recommended" stores with whatever cruise line you are on.

We bought my Anniversary band in Cozemel. Got a great deal - negotiate - never accept their first or second price. We used a reccommended Jewler - I wish I could remember the name - they also had a location in St Marteen cause then the following year I got the matching earings. :bounce: This cruise I'm hoping...actually praying extreemly hard for the matching necklace.:)

Yes, do the shopping in Cozumel. GC is way more costly, especially for jewelry...

Cozemul is the way to go. We were on the 11/23 Magic and I did not make it on to Grand Camen to look for diamonds. But the stone and ring that I found on Cozemul was worth the wait. It was a late 25th for my wife and I was able to get a great price on a 1 1/2 solitare for a lot less than I could get it here. Do some reading on diamonds and get an idea of the type of stone you want. Such as color grading and inclusion grading. I got her a E color VSI1 for such a great price that the money I saved paid for our trip. I was raised in a Diamond cutting family so I have an idea as to the grading quality of the stones. I was also able to get a 12 prong Platinum setting that is very hard to find in the U.S. They get there diamonds almost directly from Johannesberg, so ask to see the Diamond grading card that comes with the stone.
She is so happy with the ring that she is not mad that I was 2 years late in getting her the ring. Did I luck out or what!
:bounce: :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter