• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jiko or Boma

skorpie

Love the magic
I know that this has been asked before but couldn't activate the search engine. For our first experience at the AKL, should we try dinner at Jiko or Boma. We will be going to WDW from Dec. 28-Jan 2. My DH is a little hesitant because he loves his fish meals at Akershus, Kimonos and Flying Fish. Is there one restaurant over another that would appeal to a fish lover? I just want to go to the AKL!!!! Any advice is appreciated!

I can't answer about Jiko, but during our stay there was only ever one fish entree per evening at Boma. It was either something wrapped in banana leaves or nut-encrusted. Both were wonderful. Most (but not all) evenings there was also the Moroccan Seafood Stew, which was also outstanding!

There was one exception - on Memorial Day. They had some sort of shrimp done on a skewer; however, it was a one-time offering. They couldn't keep up with the demand. ;) 'Nuff said. ')

Overall, the food & service were excellent! DH says it's the "best restaurant on the planet!"

Hope this helps,

Deb

Jiko has some incredible fish dishes.....Flying Fish used to be our absolutely favorite restaurant...now it its Jiko with FF a close second.......

Monk fish dish was mouth watering a few trips ago..and I think I recall a seaBass dish also that was wonderful...

Forgot to mention we actually have PS's there on Dec 30th this year...can't wait...

We have eaten at Jiko and Boma both. My DH really enjoyed the salmon at Jiko. If you are looking for good dishes for a fish lover, I would say Jiko.

Jiko is a beautiful sit down restaurant with wonderful ambiance and excellant service .. on par with the Flying Fish. Boma is a buffet in a busy kinda loud big room. Don't get me wrong .. I love Boma, but they are really 2 differant things.

Plan to arrive ahead of your PS and explore the resort. Walk outside and see the animals. Have a seat in the rocking chairs. It is a beautiful place.

We ate at both on our last trip. Boma is wonderful and the food is great and selection is huge. We found Jiko to have bland and boring food. The service was terrible and I hated the atmosphere very dark and stark. I also felt it was WAY over priced. Go to Boma it is wonderful.

Renee

Jiko is our favorite restaurant at WDW. We have eaten there many times and never had a bad meal. They have several great fish dishes. Start your dinner with one of there flatbreads, they are fantastic. We ate at Boma for the first time on our last trip and really enjoyed it also. They had salmon on that night and it was very good. You will not go wrong with either choice.

I would say both if you can!!

They really are very different and my wife and I love each of them for what they are. Our service at Jiko and Boma has been incredible. If you are looking for a more formal dining experience, Jiko is it. If you want to have a dining adventure and love to try lots of different types of food, go for Boma!

There have already been some excellent replies here on the differences between Jiko and Boma, but I'd like to give my perspective. I personally prefer Boma because I really enjoy being able to sample the many different offerings. At Jiko (or any traditional sit-down restaurant), you get to try one or two entrees only. There's just too much good food to skip!

I can also jump in here a min to give you a small bit from the Chef's themselves. We took the culinary tour so this may help you out.

Boma - Great place to try lots and lots of different things. Fish was awesome here, very tender, melted in your mouth and had wonderful flavors.

Boma is where they really try to capture the African tastes, they try to cover several of the many countries of Africa and you'll find a wide range of flavors.

Like others have said Boma is more upbeat and casual. Our service was fantastic and since we went later it wasn't real crowded and so it wasn't too loud. A very relaxing experience.

Jiko - We wanted to try this place, but with our youngest in tow this trip we figured we'd save it for a future one, I don't think Jiko is going anywhere anytime soon!! I did get to sample some items there on our tour and if they are an example of Jiko you won't be disappointed.

This place is very beautiful and very different in decor then Boma is. It is very quiet and more on the romantic side, not like Cali Grill or V&A's but right up there. It is a darker restaurant, but I didn't think it was overly dark, fits the mood I think.

They have a wonderful open kitchen that they use to prepare some of the menu items. As to their menu and foods, they are not an African dining experince, as many folks think. The chef said they use an small bit of African influence, but they also take from several other cultures, as well. At times the smells coming from this place were so heavenly.

I don't think either place would be a bad choice, guess it comes down to what you want from the experience. Good luck, this is a tough one!

Pammy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter