Jingle Bells....AKL....Disney for 10 Whole Days! ** Updated June 2015: Videos Added**

thornton0511

DIS Veteran
Jingle Bells...AKL.....Disney For 10 Whole Days!

Okay the title may not be that creative but it's the best I could come up with :upsidedow

Anyways...Hello everyone and welcome to my first official TRIP REPORT! My family and I traveled to the world this past year, in early December, and I would like to share our adventures with anyone who wants to follow along. We spent 8 nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge and one surprise bonus night at POP Century at the beginning of our vacation. This would make trip #3 for our family of four and a first ever trip for my DMIL and DFIL. We are typically May visitors to the world so December was a first for us this year. This report should be full of surprises, Disney drama, plan changes, and of course magic bands and fastpass+....oh boy!

Here is a link to my attempt at a pretrip report if anyone is interested:
SupeRcAlIfRaGiLiStIcExPiAlIdOcIoUs

Table of Contents

Lunch at Pizzafari and Saying Goodbye
A Mini Birthday Trip Report Interruption
Mini report continued.....

Link to Video Part 1: Getting there

Link to Video Part 2: Checking in to AKL

Link to Video Part 3: Animal Kingdom
Link to Video Part 4: Hollywood Studios
Link to Video Part 5: Holiday Highlights at WDW
Link to Video Part 6: Magic Kingdom
Link to Video Part 7: Polynesian Restaurants
Link to Video Part 8: EPCOT
Link to Video Part 9: Club Cool

Last edited:
Who Are We?

Good question. I suppose you might be wondering who the people are in this trip report so I will start with me

I'm Jenn a 32 year old Disney fanatic, wife and mother to two wonderful children. I love most everything Disney, like probably most of you, and have to always have a trip planned to Disney at some point or I will go crazy and have Disney depression. I am usually the one planning everything and that is how everyone in my family likes it. Just tell them where and when :) My favorite ride is Peter Pan.

Next up the DH. This is my wonderful husband of 13 years. He is 36 years old and the one responsible for most of the funding of my Disney obsession. He too likes trips to Disney but wants nothing to do with the planning. He also cannot get excited until like the week of the trip otherwise it's seems too far in advance....I know I don't know how he can stand it either. I get excited thinking about trips I want to take to Disney years in advance lol. DH's favorite ride is Dinosaur.

Up next is our oldest DS Cory. He is 12 years old and in middle school. :faint: His excitement for Disney has faded out a bit over the years but when he is there he really has a good time...he just doesn't want to talk about it like he used to. He is very academic and loves to play baseball in the spring. His favorite ride is thunder mountain.

This is our DD Sydney. She is 7 years old and in 2nd grade this year. This is my little Disney partner all the way. She loves to talk about it nonstop like me and with three trips under her belt now she sees herself as quite the Disney know it all. :blush: Her interests are in gymnastics and Disney shows like Jessie and Austin and Ally and will watch Teen Beach Movie a gazillion times in a row if you let her. :headache: She gets straight A's in school but unlike her brother who loves to learn she is more excited to go to school so she can give her friends new rainbow loom bracelets that she makes the night before :hyper: Syd's favorite ride is the peoplemover.

Lastly we have my DH's parents. We decided to invite them along this year because they have never been and we thought it would be great for our kids to have this memory with their grandparents. They are extremely go with the flow type people and we just really wanted to share the Disney experience with them. They decided that their favorite ride was Primeval Whirl.

So that is everyone and now you guys have faces to go along with this story. The adventure begins with the next post where we find out that Winter Storm Cleon was planning on rearing his ugly head on our departure day. Would his ice and frozen rain postpone our trip? Hmmmmm..........

Life Lesson Number 1: There is no such thing as a "foolproof plan"

Our original plan for this trip was to fly out of DFW at 6am on Friday, Dec 6th. This would put us landing at MCO around 9:30am. I had learned from a previous trip to never make big plans on your arrival day to Disney if you are using air travel as you way of getting there. You never know what time you will arrive. Things happen. This being said I made our first day an easy one. Checking in, counter service lunch somewhere, a little time at AK, then back at the resort for a later dinner. The only ADR I made was for Boma at 7:20pm with a backup Boma later in the week…just in case.
As we got closer to our trip date we started to discuss driving to Dallas the afternoon before and staying the night close to the airport. We live about 2.5 hours east of Dallas so if we left the morning of our flight that would mean getting up around 1am to start our first day. I did not like the idea of crashing from exhaustion halfway through our first vacation day so it was decided to leave Thursday afternoon and drive to Dallas. We booked two rooms at a hotel across from remote parking and made plans to have dinner at the Rainforest Café and watch Frozen at the AMC since it had just been released. This would make it Disney related and a great start to our Disney vacation. Foolproof plan….right?
Fast forward to the weekend before our trip. I had started checking the weather for both Orlando and Dallas around this time to make sure everything looked good. Disney was showing promising sunny weather with highs in the mid 80's and lows in the 60's. There was some concern about a winter storm that was brewing in the northwest and it was forecasted to be in our part of the country around our departure day. I started watching this storm like a hawk. By Tuesday it was clear that Winter Storm Cleon was going to cause some problems to the Dallas area so we called our airline to see what we should do and the possibility of changing our flight. The problem was we purchased non refundable tickets and since there were 6 of us we would have to pay a pretty hefty amount of money to change. Crap. The only way out was to wait and see if the weather got bad enough for the airline to lift the change fee to allow people to change their flight. My biggest concern was that the weather was supposed to get really bad on Thursday night and our flight was first one out Friday morning, and the weather was only going to get worse for the days to follow. Which meant this storm might not cause us to be delayed for just a few hours, maybe a few days. Ugh. At some point I think we even discussed renting a car and start driving Thursday night and fly back. The airline squashed that too by telling us if we did not show up at DFW on Friday morning for our flight we would be charged a fee for that also, to the tune of about $1800 for all 6 of us total. Seriously?! I really felt stuck…and sad….and ticked off.
Wednesday morning I went to work with the weather forecast looking worse by the hour. I called every two hours checking to see if the change fee had been lifted for our flight. No luck. I called one last time before leaving work to pick up the kiddos from school around 2:30 with still no change. After picking up my DD I headed to the house (since we live down the street from the school) because I had about 20 minutes to kill before picking up DS from middle school. On a whim I checked the weather channel online and noticed that the Dallas area went from a winter storm warning to a watch. I immediately thought to myself that maybe this would change things for our flight. With my heart frantically beating out of my chest I called American Airlines again. The lady on the other end informed me that yes at this time the change fee has been waived and we can change our flight with no charge. OH MY GOODNESS!!! I almost started crying as the nice lady tried to find 6 seats on the same flight for Thursday….and she did. We would now be flying out of DFW Thursday morning instead of Friday morning at 6am….wait 6am? It was now 3:30 Wednesday afternoon and our new flight was leaving in 14.5 hours….and I haven't even informed anyone yet of the changes….or packed! How in the world could I possibly make this work?

I'm in, Jenn! I love the AKL so that pulled me right in to your report.

I can't wait to see how you pulled everything together a day early - the winter weather has been terrible to everyone this year! (But one more day in Disney? Isn't that always great?!)

I'm joining in! Sounds like you are off to a great start...I mean you are going to get to Disney a day early. :cool1: Looking forward to your report.

I'm in...we left the World on the 4th...right before you got there!!

We are also very similar...I'm 32 and have a 7 year old that shares my love for Disney as well! We are actually planning a girl's June trip...and are staying at AKL!! So can't wait to read!

Joining in. We were there the some of the time at SSR.

I'm in, Jenn! I love the AKL so that pulled me right in to your report.

I can't wait to see how you pulled everything together a day early - the winter weather has been terrible to everyone this year! (But one more day in Disney? Isn't that always great?!)
Hello there and welcome :wave2: I am glad to have you follow along! We LOVED AKL too! So far its our favorite. Yes this winter has seemed a bit extreme especially for our northern neighbors! I have to say though today our high here in Texas is almost 70 so not going to complain about that :upsidedow
I'm joining in! Sounds like you are off to a great start...I mean you are going to get to Disney a day early. :cool1: Looking forward to your report.
:welcome: and thanks for tagging along! Yes anytime you start a Disney trip a day early is always a good thing :thumbsup2
I'm in...we left the World on the 4th...right before you got there!!

We are also very similar...I'm 32 and have a 7 year old that shares my love for Disney as well! We are actually planning a girl's June trip...and are staying at AKL!! So can't wait to read!
First of all hello :wave: and welcome! Wow we do seem to have some similarities for sure. Isn't it neat to have a kid who shares the same interest in something that you do? So excited for your upcoming June girls trip...that sounds like a lot of fun! We loved AKL too :) That is so cool that we were almost there at the same time in December!
Joining in. We were there the some of the time at SSR.
Awesome! Glad to have you join in and I hope that I can keep it interesting for you guys! Early December seemed to be a time when a lot of people here planned their trip this year! Oh and :welcome: aboard!
Following along :goodvibes
Hi there :wave2: glad to have you join in!

Disney Ninja Skills

Once the shock left me from changing our flight I realized I was about five minutes late for picking DS up from school. Whoops. I frantically gathered my things, as well as DD and we headed toward the school. DS was waiting and once I told him that we were leaving a day early and he was going to have to miss all of school tomorrow he decided not to be too mad at me for making him wait. Now it was time for me to put my Disney Ninja planning skills into action. First I called the in laws and my DH and told them about the flight change. DMIL somehow managed to get our Dallas hotel reservations cancelled and refunded…she apparently had some ninja skills of her own, and I got to work on contacting teachers to let them know the kids would miss a whole day tomorrow instead of half a day,and making new reservations….Disney reservations.
Since we were booked at AKL with rented DVC points and using Disney Magical Express I knew first of all that wherever we stayed Thursday night had to be on Disney property so we could still use the Express. Since we were staying DVC it would not be possible to just add a night to our reservation so I needed to make a new ressie for one night room only. The simple thing would have been to just stay one extra night at AKL but that would come with a pretty hefty price and we might still have to change rooms. I did not want to make our bonus day crazy extra expensive so I figured a value was the way to go. I gotta tell you guys it is really exciting to call Disney and tell them that you need a ressie for a room for the next day. The CM I spoke with was super awesome and once I told her the situation and that we needed two value rooms she started to work her magic. I really wanted to stay at the Art of Animation Resort but unfortunately they were booked. She was able to find two rooms at POP though and that was my second choice so POP it was! We booked two rooms for $121.50 each which I thought was definitely worth it for an extra day at Disney….wouldn't you agree?

The next order of business was to reschedule DME to pick us up a day early. Since it was less than 24 hrs away I would have to call them myself to make the arrangements. The only disadvantage was since we would not have luggage tags to attach to our checked bags with the new resort and date we would have to pick them up and take them ourselves to the resort. No big deal. Now with all of that taken care of I knew there was one more thing I was missing…….oh yeah I need TO PACK!!!!
I LOVE to plan but I really HATE to pack. Seriously I morph into a beast that no one wants to mess with. This is why I think I put packing for a trip off until the last minute. Being such a good planner and all I do at least organize and make a list beforehand so that when I do go into beast mode I can still get the job done….otherwise….well let's just not even go there. So with the DH bringing home pizza for dinner (we had to eat at some point) I started to literally go down my list and throw and stuff items into suitcases. I didn't care at this point what went where as long as it was going with us. Did this mean that DS's underwear might be touching DD's stuffed animals? Probably. By this time everyone else in my house was chowing down on Pizza Hut so no one had a say in the packing order. Finally I finished and once we got the kids cleaned up and put to bed it was time for us to do the same…or try to anyways.
I laid there really trying to sleep but with no luck. It had been such an exciting emotional rollercoaster of a day and I could not stop thinking about tomorrow and actually being in Disney. Meanwhile DH was sound asleep. At least one of us was getting some sleep.

Finally around 11pm I got up and started to get myself dressed and ready. I changed our Disney countdown calendar to 0 days, read up on the disboards for awhile and checked the weather. Before I knew it our alarm was going off and that meant only one thing……TIME FOR OUR DISNEY VACATION TO OFFICIALLY BEGIN! But how long would I make it with zero sleep on our first day?

Adventures In DFW
My in laws made their way to our house and we had their minivan packed and ready to go by 12:45am.:drive:

The drive to DFW was pretty uneventful and I found myself dozing off and on once we were on the interstate. We arrived at the remote parking for the airport around 3am. Now when we left our neck of the woods the temperature had already started to drop but it was NOTHING compared to the cold air we felt in Dallas as soon as we opened the door of the car. Do any of you remember seeing the movie Day After Tomorrow? There is a scene in that movie when the temperature drops so fast that as soon as you come in contact with the outside you freeze….to death….literally. That is what this felt like. Okay maybe I am exaggerating a little but let's not forget I was still on zero sleep and it was cold people.

We made our way to the shuttle station with all of our luggage. That would consist of 5 checked bags, 6 carry on suitcases, 6 personal items including duffels, backpacks, and laptop bags and one partridge in a pear tree….for 6 people. You would think that we were moving to Disney World with all of this. Good grief. Once inside the "station" we paged a shuttle to come and pick us up to take us to our terminal. I was so grateful that my in laws were with us because they travel A LOT and I would have been so lost in this huge airport. :confused3

The shuttle arrived pretty quickly and we were on our way. This is when I noticed something interesting about my DFIL. Apparently he likes to talk to strangers.This is so opposite from me. I am extremely socially awkward and if I could grow a turtle shell on my back I would almost promise you I would hide all the time. He immediately became best friends with the bus driver and they just talked and talked the whole way to the terminal. I made a note that it will be helpful to have someone like him on this trip in case we are in a situation where no one talks and it becomes weird for everyone. We have all been there, I know you know what I mean. Little did I realize at this point in our trip that this habit he has would not always come in handy and would in fact have a less positive effect in some situations.
We arrived at our terminal around 3:30am.

In a discussion earlier when we were deciding what time we should leave for our drive to the airport the majority decided that the earlier the better…..do you know what happens when you get to your terminal at 3:30 for a 6am flight?

You wait. Why? Because the airport does not even open until 4am! That's right we were there before the airline people, TSA, even our fellow travelers. At least we were first in line. :thumbsup2 We passed the time by doing various things and my DFIL found amusement by hauling our checked bags one by one up to the weighing machine and weighing each bag. Just for fun. Why not?

Finally more travelers started to show up and a small line was formed behind us. That's right people you have to get here pretty darn early in the morning to beat us in line….finally we were checked in and through security. :dance3:

The time was now 4:30am. We found our gate and used our mounds of luggage to form a fortress around "our spot". Sydney found her travel buddy and was content to snuggle in her chair with her friend.

Cory did what all 12 year old boys do…plop down, put on the headphones, and ignore their surroundings…

Then DH, DFIL, and I left to find breakfast. I had one thing on my mind and that was a cinnamon dolce latte from Starbucks. I needed caffeine stat. Once we found Starbucks and a McDonalds we waited until 5 am for everything to open. Never getting this early to an airport again…ever. :sad2: I cannot remember what the in laws purchased from McDonalds but besides my coffee we decided on a donut twist thing for the kids to split and DH and I split a slice of pumpkin loaf.

It was okay but the coffee really hit the spot.

I had a free drink loaded on my rewards card but they would not honor it at the airport locations. This made me sad.:sad: Any who we finished our breakfast just in time for them to start loading everyone on the plane. We were unfortunately not able to get all 6 seats together but we did manage to get me and the kids in a row, the in laws together, and DH in the middle seat in front of me and kids. Not to shabby for a last minute flight change. Once we were settled in I sat back and waited for the engines to start up and take us up and away to the most magical place on earth…..pixiedust:

Day 0: Here We Go!

Our flight took off at promptly 6am. Since it was before sunrise and still dark outside you could see all of the lights from the runways as we were lifting off and it was kind of neat. I liked that it was still dark because it made it harder for me to see things. I do not like heights and have a natural fear of flying.

As soon as we got the go ahead DD had the Ipad out watching Despicable Me 2 and DS opted for the movie the airline was playing on the TV's…I honestly do not remember what movie was playing. What I do know is that it finally registered with my body that I was at 24 hrs with no real sleep. I could tell I was nodding off again and at one point I was just at that sweet spot between awake and blissful unconsciousness when I was awoken by the rolling of the drink cart down the aisle. There would be no solid sleep on the plane for me this morning.

The sun was up and I spent the rest of the flight trying to fall asleep but not quite getting there. Sigh. Soon enough we were at our destination and the plane was landing at MCO. Landing is my favorite because with every second we are that much closer to the ground and I figure my chances of survival are better. We were off of the plane and in the airport a little after 9:30am….making very good time.

We made our way to the only thing I like about MCO….riding the fake-o-rail!

We had just missed one train so we patiently waited for another.

We always try to find a seat on the end so you can watch the track as you go. Once we were off we headed over to pick up our bags. There were hardly any people and our luggage seemed to be the only ones on the conveyor belt. This seemed strange to me because anytime I have been here there always seem to be a mob of people and suitcases. I thought maybe because it was so early in the morning this meant no crowds. This is me foreshadowing something. So, with our ALL of our luggage in tow we headed to the first information booth I could find. Why you ask? This was our first time to use DME and I have read too many posts here from people who get lost trying to find it and end up on the wrong side of the airport. I had no problem sending my DH to ask for directions. What? I wasn't going too. Good thing too because we would have totally gotten lost. We found where we needed to go and when I saw the signs with Mickey I got really excited. This was it! We were really here! AHHHH! Since we did not have magic bands yet for our new additional day our DME vouchers we scanned and I am guessing it pulled up our new reservation and we had no problem getting through to the line. The line. Remember that foreshadowing? Yeah no crowds my booty. Where did all of these people come from? You were not in luggage pick….up…..doh. I guess most people here did not have to get their own….luggage….so that would explain….it. So we waited and waited. Finally we got to the front of the line and I had my fingers crossed that we would get an actual Mickey Bus.

Did we get a Mickey……

Yes we did! The only not so great thing was we were one of the last in line for this bus which meant no picky choosey on our seats, which happened to be kind of in the back.

Ah well we were on a Mickey bus and that was awesome enough. It was now about 10am and we were on our way.

Then came that moment when we were about to enter the Disney Bubble. Love the Disney Bubble!

This was the closest I could zoom in for the picture. Ha, this is a good as it gets from the back of the bus people! I cannot remember all of the stops this bus was going to make, but our first stop was here….

And then our stop here….

It was now 10:45am. We were happy, excited, sleep deprived, and delusional all wrapped up in one!

Once we got off the bus we were immediately greeted by friendly cast members and Christmas music was playing over the speakers at the entrance. Love Disney! While DH and DFIL were working on getting all of our luggage together and loaded up on a cart thing the kids played a game of bean bag toss.

Before we knew it everything was ready to go and we headed through the doors to check in to the POP. How would our first experience with Magic Bands go and what would I think of this new Disney technology…..

An extra day at Disney is a good thing and POP is a nice resort.
You really did get to the airport early.
I hate flying too but I need a window seat. It is really bizarre. LOL
Glad you are there and have your bags and made it to the resort.

An extra day at Disney is a good thing and POP is a nice resort.
You really did get to the airport early.
I hate flying too but I need a window seat. It is really bizarre. LOL
Glad you are there and have your bags and made it to the resort.

LOL we really did get to the airport very early. Too early. I was the only one voting for leaving a bit later than everyone else and lost that argument! I have gotten a bit better with flying but I still hate it. I wish Amtrak would fix the leg of track in the south that hurricane Katrina destroyed so that there would be an alternate way for us to travel to WDW, especially with the cost of flying being so expensive. We decided in May 2012 to drive instead of flying and that took about 18 hrs. :crazy2: Ah well I suppose if we just moved closer to Disney none of this would be an issue :scratchin

A Day With No Plans and Oh Those Magic Bands...

We walked into the main building of the POP to check in and immediately I was impressed with the resort. I honestly did not know what to expect from a value and I thought the attention to detail was just as awesome as a moderate or a deluxe. I loved the décor from all of the decades and could have probably spent a good amount of time looking at all the items in the lobby. Anyways moving on. We got in line and there were quite a good number of people checking in and out at this time. I did notice quite a few CM's with tablets but we did not check in with one of them. When it was our turn we walked up to the desk and told the lady that we had two separate rooms so it was two separate reservations but were checking in together. She wanted to start with my in laws and get them checked in and then would do the same with us. Made sense to us. She first asked if we had our magic bands mailed to us. I explained the whole adding a day and making this reservation yesterday and that no for this one night we do not have our MB's. She then walked over to a shelf with lots of MB boxes and found the two that had our names on them. I thought this was kind of cool. Then she took the bands out and proceeded to try to activate them with her Mickey head scanner thing. I did not work. Ugh. Gotta love technology! After many tries she had to get a supervisor to help out and FINALLY they were able to get the bands ready to go. We were also given KTTWC without asking for them and told that our rooms were in the 90's section and connected! YAY!! We then headed out of the main building and walked towards our rooms.

DS wanted to have his pic taken inside one of the giant numbers.

The view from our room.

We were on the top floor which I like because I have heard too many stories about snakes sneaking into ground floor rooms while mousekeeping is cleaning&.and I hate snakes. We had no problem getting into the room with our bands and I loved the convenience of just scanning a bracelet on your wrist.

The room was very nice and other than being a little on the small size I thought was perfect for our one night stay. I am not sure if I would want to stay value for an entire vacation but I would definitely do a split stay and spend a couple of nights in one.

The first thing I did was turn the TV on to Stacey....of course!

I tried to take a few pics of our room before the luggage was delivered. Since we were only staying for the one night I was not planning on unloading our suitcases.

After freshening up a bit we realized that we were pretty hungry. We decided to head to Downtown Disney for lunch and exploring. It was so relaxing to not have any plans or reservation to get to, and to be able to do whatever, whenever. This would not be the the case for the rest of the trip. We headed down to the bus stop and waited for a Downtown Disney bus. The time was now 12:00pm.

Lunch at Downtown Disney

I don’t remember having to wait too long for a bus to Downtown Disney and soon enough we had arrived. It had been our first Disney bus ride of the trip! After being dropped off at the Marketplace we were trying to decide where to eat. It was after all the prime time for lunch and so we had to take that into account. We narrowed our selection down to either Rainforest Café or T-Rex Café. That may seem like an odd choice considering the time and the crowds but since we are Landry's Select Card Members we get in quickly with usually little or no wait…or reservation.

Since the kids grandparents had eaten at a Rainforest Café before but never T-Rex we decided to dine with the dinos! We had our first experience with the T-Rex last May and thought it was pretty cool. The kids loved it but my favorite is still the Rainforest. Plus I found the T-Rex to be a lot louder than the Rainforest. We made our way over to the restaurant and DH waited in the check in line. A few minutes later he had us checked in with about a 15 minute wait and also informed me that he requested for us to sit in the Ice Room even if it meant a little longer wait. I was surprised that he remembered on our last visit that we wanted to sit there the next time we ever ate at the T-Rex. Props to the DH! It was now 12:45pm and we had made our way into the store section of the restaurant and were browsing around and taking pictures while we waited.

At 1:00pm our name was called and we were taken to our seat…….

In the Ice Room!

The kids were given their menus and dino hats. Apparently some of the adults wanted hats too so of course they made that happen.

Our server came by and took our drink order and gave us time to look at the menu. On our reservation that started the next day we had somewhat reluctantly decided to pay to have the regular dining plan added. This was something I went back and forth on for several months, crunching numbers both ways, and finally gave in and had it added. We would most likely not be saving any money this way but the convenience of it would be better this time around especially with my DH parents. That being said we knew that we would be paying out of pocket for everything today so we took that into account when ordering. While we were waiting we enjoyed our awesome surroundings….

The kids went with what they always get: shrimpkins with potato chips. Everytime. Why have to choose between chicken and shrimp when you can have them both. Makes sense to me. For some reason I do not have a pic of their food….weird. So moving on, DH and I went with Colosso Nachos for two and the Supersaurus Sampler to split. The in laws did the same.

Wow this food was insane! I was really hungry and this food was really really good. I had forgotten how big the portion sizes are here and we soon realized that we could have easily split the 2 between all four of us! We had a lot of uneaten food left over. Ah well live and learn. The total bill for the six of us was $95.20 (not including tip) We had a gift card with $100 on it that we had been holding on to for this trip so that worked out well!
We now had our bellies full and decided to do some Downtown Disney exploring before heading back to the resort. But with our tummies being so full how long would we make it before the sleep deprivation kicked in?

Great report! All caught up and ready to hear more. What a delightful whirlwind of a start. I would love to go to WDW during the holidays one day.....::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter