• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Job Fairs

DawnM

DIS Veteran
UGH! I hate them.

Long story short. I went back to work this year for the first time in a LONG time. I was home with the kids. The job I took is far from my home. It is 28 miles away and towards the city, so the commute is not good.

I am still hoping to find another job within this district, closer to home, but I am also applying to the district where my house is located.

They have a job fair tomorrow. However, there are NO jobs available for what I want/need. None.

But I should still go and make an appearance, right? Stand in each line and hand out my resume????

Or would you just skip it and send your interest in via internet as jobs come up???

Thoughts?

I hate them, too, but I would go solely for networking purposes.

I was unemployed back in 2014, and learned right away that networking is key (it's how I got my current job!). I made a ton of contacts solely from attending one job fair. I chatted a few people up, talked to them about what I was looking for, gave them my resume, asked for their business cards, and then when I got home I added them on LinkedIn. When jobs did come up that interested me, they either reached out to me or I reached out to them, and they were willing to submit my resume for me and put in a good word. So I don't think it would hurt if you attended.

Good luck!! I know how frustrating it can be...I'm keeping my eye out myself.

I would go just to get face time with the people in that district. It may not amount to anything but you never know.

I just wonder if employers really remember you if they have talked to 50+ people so far that day and you aren't what they are looking for????

I hate them, too, but I would go solely for networking purposes.

I was unemployed back in 2014, and learned right away that networking is key (it's how I got my current job!). I made a ton of contacts solely from attending one job fair. I chatted a few people up, talked to them about what I was looking for, gave them my resume, asked for their business cards, and then when I got home I added them on LinkedIn. When jobs did come up that interested me, they either reached out to me or I reached out to them, and they were willing to submit my resume for me and put in a good word. So I don't think it would hurt if you attended.

Good luck!! I know how frustrating it can be...I'm keeping my eye out myself.

Never been to one since my job is one you have to exam into. But ita with above, go, try to stand out, Lin with everyone, what can it hurt.

I will go. I just don't want to.

I doubt many of them are on LinkedIn, that just isn't an education thing for the most part, but I will see.

I agree with networking, and also the free pens. I make it my game to see how many little freebies I get- some stalls here have like promotional knick knacks for you to take. My best haul was a whole bottle of branded mayonnaise that they had out for people to take, (restaurant chain that also sells its own sauces in supermarkets) a mini tape measure and a cone of sweets. Plus mini tote bags, a cute little book of sticky notes that's incredibly useful, a lanyard on a carabiner that I now use for USB memory sticks...

I agree with networking, and also the free pens. I make it my game to see how many little freebies I get- some stalls here have like promotional knick knacks for you to take. My best haul was a whole bottle of branded mayonnaise that they had out for people to take, (restaurant chain that also sells its own sauces in supermarkets) a mini tape measure and a cone of sweets. Plus mini tote bags, a cute little book of sticky notes that's incredibly useful, a lanyard on a carabiner that I now use for USB memory sticks...

Yeah, no knick knacks or pens. This is a public school district job fair. I am lucky I don't have to pay to get in! hahaha

I would go. There are no jobs posted today, but there might be a resignation the day after the fair. You will have a better shot at getting it if you are fresh in their mind.

Ok, I am back. It was less painful than I had anticipated, and I met my middle son's principal, so that was good in itself (I told her I can't apply there since my kids would be mortified!)

But she whispered, "Well, I know for a fact that XX school is saying they may have an opening in what you want, so I would go over there for sure!" She was very nice.

I handed out 10 resumes.

It was actually empowering to know I have a job already, so there is nothing huge riding on me not getting a job here. I work in the larger district next door currently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter