Job offer - should I negotiate salary?

lecach

<font color=darkorchid>Will not get out of bed unl
I just got called about the job I interviewed for yesterday for 2 hours. They are offering me the job!!!!!! The pay is $500 less than I made at last job (and they know what I was making before). But they review it in 6 months. They offer fully paid medical, dental drug, life. 2 weeks vacation, 2 weeks sick, 3 personal days and 7 holidays. And they pay a portion of the onsite daycare.

DH thinks I should negotiate for more money. But they know I am unemployed. He said since they are not interviewing anyone else that I am in control. Plus the salary at my last job was actually a pay cut from previous positions. Which I can prove. Any advice?

Also - they said I can take my vacation that is planned for WDW in May but I would only be paid for what I had earned so far.

Any advice about negotiating? For salary or vacation?

I'm obviously going to take it. My unemployment pay runs out Saturday. Hows that for timing? :woohoo: :yay:

Do you always get such good benefits at all your other jobs.

My DH has been with his company 18 years and we still have to pay a large portion of his medical/dental insurance.

Is that $500.00 a year?

We pay $200.00 a month just for benefits.

I'd do backflips if a company paid for eveything that you're getting. Getting paid benefits now adays is almost unheard of.

JMOP

$500 less a paycheck or salary?

You can try to get more money however you have to ask yourself can you afford to lose this job over it?

I regret not negotiating my salary at my current job - or at least more vacation time.

Your opportunity is *now* - once your in the door, it a lot harder to do.

I say at least try and get your $500 - and it's my understanding that most employers leave room for negotiations.

Good luck and congrats!

It's $500 per year. So it's not huge. But I have always heard that bosses expect you to negotiate.

The benefits are much better. At my last job I did get paid medical. But that was about it for insurance. At my last job we got 2 weeks per year for vacation and sick combined. This new place is 2 weeks vacation AND 2 weeks sick. Plus I would have my own office which a huge window that overlooks a wooded park-like setting.

Obviously I plan to take the job. Just not sure about the negotiating.

With all of the insurance and vacation and sick days it seems as though you are being offering lots of extra perks that value far more than $500.00.

In today's economy and work environment, I would accept the job as offered and be very happy!:thumbsup2

With the way things are right now in our economy, I would take the job without negotiating for more money. It sounds like you are better off with the benefits(sick time, insurance)

I'm sure the amount towards the daycare is much more than $500. So in total, it sounds like you're getting a raise. I would be happy with what's been offered and just accept the job as offered.

With all of the insurance and vacation and sick days it seems as though you are being offering lots of extra perks that value far more than $500.00.

In today's economy and work environment, I would accept the job as offered and be very happy!:thumbsup2

My advise too.

I say ask for it, how can it hurt? Will they take away the offer, most likely not, right? My husband was offered 2 weeks vacation and he was coming from a job that had 3, so he asked and got three. I say it just can't hurt. The previous poster is absolutely correct, now is the time to do this, you won't get it later. Ask! Let us know what happens?

I think there is always room to negotiate. I recently changed jobs and was able to get 20% more than originally offered. I was not unemployed so did have more to bargain about which makes a difference.

I wrote a letter stating I was very interested in the position. Stress how you can meet their needs and the skills that will benefit them. Note there was one area you wanted to discuss. Advise what salary you were requesting.

I would compliment the benefits acknowledging that they take care of their employees. I would end the letter or if discussing over the phone with the comment that you are confident a mutually beneficial arrangement could be agreed upon.

Generally the worst they can say is no we can't increase the offer. Good luck and how exciting!

I would take what they were offering and be thrilled and enjoy that healthcare plan and daycare discount. In these hard times you actually landed a great job and should jump on it. We are paying close to 800 a month for our portion of insurance right now for a family of 5. And I feel grateful I am not paying more. A job with free insurance with a 500 dollar a year pay cut would astound me.

DEFINITELY DEFINITELY DEFINITELY NEGOTIATE! They expect it. You don't want to start off at a job that they know they will be able to give you whatever and you won't question them. You need to negotiate to show them you aren't afraid to question things if you feel they aren't quite right. You will earn some respect from them before you even start the job. Also, what could it hurt? The worst thing that could happen would be that they come back and say it isn't in the budget and you take the job anyway. Most places will counter offer rather than just say 'NO', especailly if they interviewed you for 2 hours, you know the job is yours no matter what.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

My thoughts are to compare "total compensation" from prior job to offered job. Under the circumstances with the benefits you will find you are coming out way ahead. My next question is did you know the pay when you interviewed. If they were upfront with what the salary was to start with and you were interested I don't think you should negotiate. When I was doing hiring I hated with a passion when someone would know the starting pay and then come back and say they really needed more money - they wasted their time and more importantly (to me anyway) MY time. However if they gave you a "range" that both numbers fall in - well that's a personal decision whether you ask for more.

My next question is did you know the pay when you interviewed. If they were upfront with what the salary was to start with and you were interested I don't think you should negotiate. When I was doing hiring I hated with a passion when someone would know the starting pay and then come back and say they really needed more money - they wasted their time and more importantly (to me anyway) MY time. However if they gave you a "range" that both numbers fall in - well that's a personal decision whether you ask for more.

I didn't know the salary when I applied or interviewed. They asked what I was looking for and I said low to mid 40's but that work environment and benefits played a large role for me. And they didn't say that I wasn't in the range. During the interview they asked what I made at my last job. And I told them. I didn't point out that my last job was a pay cut from my previous jobs. The offer was in the upper $30's.

Would it be better to negotiate for more money or to say that I was hoping for more but that if they would pay me for my May vacation in full then the salary was agreeable? They said I could take my vacation to WDW but that they would only pay me for the days I had earned (probably about 1 1/2 days).

When your performance is reviewed in 6 months, if you meet or beat their goals for you is there a set amount that your salary would be raised or would that be negotiable?

I don't know about the economic climate there, but I have two family members who have been looking for full time jobs, one for 9 months and one for 5 months, so I think perhaps you should go ahead and accept the job now at the terms they offer, but re-negotiate at the 6 month review. You might be able to go higher than the $500/year difference at that time.

I think with your benefits running out, call, accept the job, but do indicate your willingness to work hard to return to the level you were at in your prior position. I'd also be interested to know if there is a cap on the raise they can give you at the six month window, but regardless, if you like the job, it's a good fit, your benefits are much better, take the job, you'll regret it if you don't I imagine.

Normally I would say negotiate, but since you'll be getting paid medical, you're still going to be ahead of the game while having a smaller salary. And $500 less a year amounts to less than $10 less a week, right? It's not like it's five thousand less a year...

I negotiated before getting my current position. They didn't up the salary, but offered me a 6 month review, just like you. When that 6 month review came, I got the money I asked for. Hopefully, the same will happen for you. Good luck! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter