Jobs you respect anyone who does it but couldn't do yourself?

I could do it, and work in a funeral home. It probably takes a certain personality. Sensitive, for one thing.

The day of my mother‘s wake when we went in to see her for the first time, I noticed she didn’t have any rosary beads in her hands. This was a lady who said the rosary every day of her life. So I asked one of the workers if she could have some, and he was rude about it. Seemed pissed off to go and them, then gruffly stuck them in her hands so they were weirdly sticking up. I had to fix them. Soured the experience.
That's awful! Obviously, someone who needs to find another line of work.

Trash collector. People who are somewhat underappreciated until there's a strike or a weather delay. Something I know I could never do but it could be kind of cool riding on the back of the truck on a nice day through the neighborhood, obviously with a KN95.

I could do it, and work in a funeral home. It probably takes a certain personality. Sensitive, for one thing.

The day of my mother‘s wake when we went in to see her for the first time, I noticed she didn’t have any rosary beads in her hands. This was a lady who said the rosary every day of her life. So I asked one of the workers if she could have some, and he was rude about it. Seemed pissed off to go and them, then gruffly stuck them in her hands so they were weirdly sticking up. I had to fix them. Soured the experience.
OMG! How insensitive. Not only because of the obvious situation, , but the fact that this person or his business was making a poop load of money off the family.

Hotel housekeepers. A physically demanding job where you never know what ick you will find on the other side of that door.

Anything medical. I’m too squeamish.

These days, anything public facing. People are so rude to begin with, but you never know what might set someone off on a temper tantrum where someone could get injured.

Recently we stayed in a campground that didn't have sewer hook up. They had these two guys who went around and dumped sewers on each RV/trailer. I watched them for a bit and knew without a doubt they were not making enough money to do that job. Yet thankful someone is willing.

Hotel housekeepers. A physically demanding job where you never know what ick you will find on the other side of that door.

Anything medical. I’m too squeamish.

These days, anything public facing. People are so rude to begin with, but you never know what might set someone off on a temper tantrum where someone could get injured.
I lasted 2 days as a housekeeper in a hotel and it was so gross where I work. Granted, not all hotels are like the one I worked at, but one room looked like a crime scene with blood everywhere and it was trashed. Another room had a note that said my tip was in the toilet...they didn't flush a sizeable deposit of poop. Yeah, thanks buddy...

OMG! How insensitive. Not only because of the obvious situation, , but the fact that this person or his business was making a poop load of money off the family.
Yes, and it wasn’t like they were nice beads. They were cheap plastic. Probably gets a case for $9.99.

There were two young women who had taken over the family funeral home after mortuary school. I was casual friends with the younger sister, Natalie. She had been helping at the home for most of her life. In 1987, after only a few months on the job, Natalie and her sister buried my father. They were wonderful, and made sure that my mother, my sister and I were taken care of, and looked after well during the entire process. I'm sorry your experience was not as good. :hug:

There were two young women who had taken over the family funeral home after mortuary school. I was casual friends with the younger sister, Natalie. She had been helping at the home for most of her life. In 1987, after only a few months on the job, Natalie and her sister buried my father. They were wonderful, and made sure that my mother, my sister and I were taken care of, and looked after well during the entire process. I'm sorry your experience was not as good. :hug:
That’s nice to hear. :flower3:

"Jobs you respect anyone who does it..."

Anyone with a job other than telemarketing.

"...but couldn't do yourself?"

Along with what everyone else said,
Retail
Fast food
Restaurant
Working with the public in general.

Ha! I'm a nurse and my husband is a corrections officer.

I could never be a school bus driver. What a thankless job!
Perhaps, but so are yours and since we're all here, let us thank you both for your contributions. Shout out to @Pea-n-Me too, and anybody else in medicine or law enforcement. :flower3:
Funeral director.
:cloud9: That was my dream job and I got a chance to intern about 18 years ago. Alas, the timing just wasn't right for my young family but I could have very happily pursued it as a career. Turns out though, that despite what most of you might think, it's not super-lucrative for the Funeral Director. After certification and about 5 years of experience, the salary tops out at about $50K - $70K, unless you are actually the owner of the Funeral Home. That's actually VERY rare in North America; almost all of them have been absorbed by mammoth corporations (even the ones that still have names like "Smith and Sons" or "Jones Family Mortuary").

I have three teachers in my family, two of which teach Special Education. They do not make enough money, benefits are terrible, and they get no respect from the students. I would not last a week in their job.

Perhaps, but so are yours and since we're all here, let us thank you both for your contributions. Shout out to @Pea-n-Me too, and anybody else in medicine or law enforcement. :flower3:

:cloud9: That was my dream job and I got a chance to intern about 18 years ago. Alas, the timing just wasn't right for my young family but I could have very happily pursued it as a career. Turns out though, that despite what most of you might think, it's not super-lucrative for the Funeral Director. After certification and about 5 years of experience, the salary tops out at about $50K - $70K, unless you are actually the owner of the Funeral Home. That's actually VERY rare in North America; almost all of them have been absorbed by mammoth corporations (even the ones that still have names like "Smith and Sons" or "Jones Family Mortuary").
Thank you. It’s more difficult today than ever. 😕

Nursing Assistant. They get the worst assignments and certainly are not paid enough for what they have to put up with, but if you are a patient, a caring Nursing Assistant is like gold and can make a horrible experience bearable. Thank you to all the Nursing Assistants out there.

Nursing Assistant. They get the worst assignments and certainly are not paid enough for what they have to put up with, but if you are a patient, a caring Nursing Assistant is like gold and can make a horrible experience bearable. Thank you to all the Nursing Assistants out there.
I hadn’t seen your post bef I posted mine. I couldn’t agree more.

Certified Nursing Assistant. Angels on earth.
I firmly believe that a Nursing Assistant saved my life. Back many years, I was in the hospital after surgery, burning up with a fever so high that the nurses would not tell me what my temperature was. It went on for several days and the antibiotics were not working. Finally a Nursing Assistant suggested to the doctor that they lay me on a hypothermic blanket. The doctor shrugged her off, but later they brought in the blanket and laid me on it. It was freezing cold, but my fever broke and I was fine and went home the next day.

Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter