• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jogging stroller?

pattyT

DIS Veteran
We are going to Disney for 10 days in October.
We have booked one day at Discovery Cove and we will go to Sea World for one day...
heres my question...
I already have a good jogging stroller with canopy - basket under which will work great for my 2 year old on the beach at Discovery Cove etc.
Unfortunately it does not fold up small. I will have two adults with me - as well as two 9 year olds - so weight isn't a big deal but will it be a pain on the transportation?
We are staying at PO FQ
Is there a Walmart or Target nearby to buy a new stroller if I need to?
Thanks!

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

I doubt that the buses and monorail will let you bring it on board. During heavy times they pack the buses.

I have heard that there are stores in the area where you could buy a stroller, but I am not sure where they are.

J

I also have a jogging stroller but I won't be bringing it to WDW. It doesn't fold up very compact and I know that it will take up much too much room in the bus. I have another smaller stroller that I will be bringing. I thought about bringing an umbrella stroller but I hate the fact that they don't recline or have a basket underneath so I bought the next step up.

It does sound like I will have to buy a new stroller too!
The jogging one doesn't fold well and our other one is to big also. I agree that an umbrella stroller won't work either!
I was hoping to bring the jogging because I know it would work great on the beaches at discovery cove! I don't know what I will do there!

We were in Disney in April with ds's 10, 13 and 2yo twins. I also have a jogging stroller, granted its a double, but it weighs a ton and I dont even like using it to go to the mall never mind Disney!

I have the cheapo umbrella strollers I keep in the car for when im not alone and someone else can grab a kid for me. These are what we took to Disney and they worked the best. We used them at the airport and checked them on the plane when we boarded. It helped alot. They fold fast for getting on and off the trams. They wont take up much space either. And as I watched others struggle with bigger strollers I really felt for them. Its alot of work with little ones, you want the easiest possible way around.

On our May 2002 trip, we brought our regular stroller (Metrolite), an umbrella stroller, and a Baby Bjorn. I left the jogger at home, as it is just too big.

We stayed at BWV, and used the "regular" stroller for parks we could walk or boat to and the umbrella for parks we took a bus to. At PO, you'll be taking a bus everywhere. We tried taking our "regular" stroller on a bus once, and it was just too bulky, I can't imagine trying it with a jogger. We actually had the best luck with teh Baby Bjorn, but DD only weighs about 12-13 pounds. You have a 2 yo, so mI'm guessing that won't work for you.

So, did I have a point? Oh yeah... I felt that the umbrella stroller was a must for buses. Although we didn't have a basket or a canopy (we have a hand-me-down umbrella stroller), it really worked best for when we needed to take a bus. I have seen some brands of umbrella strollers that do have baskets (and of course, some with canopies), and I think I may be buying one for our next trip (November). DD will most likely be too be for me to be comfortable carrying her on the BB, and I don't want to deal with a bulky stroller on the buses.

HTH

--Kathy

I figured as much
thank you all for your confirmation.
My DH insisted it would work!

Has anyone ever been to Discovery Cove?
Do they rent strollers there? It doesn't say anything in all that I have read - I will have to call there to see. The only reason I wanted to bring the jogger is because it works so well in the sand.

KathyK - you brought 3 stollers? Sis you fly or drive there? I will have enough to deal with DH,DS and DD's luggage, the car seat and one stroller! :)

Originally posted by pattyT
KathyK - you brought 3 stollers? Sis you fly or drive there? I will have enough to deal with DH,DS and DD's luggage, the car seat and one stroller! :)

We drove, but we 'only' brought 2 strollers. We left the jogger at home, and we also used a Baby Bjorn front carrier. If I had this last trip to do over again, I would have left both strollers at home, and brought only the Baby Bjorn carrier. She is such a lightweight that I didn't even care about the extra weight and we never had to worry about parking the stroller at attractions and bringing it on the bus.

It was pretty funny when we checked our luggage on the last day with bell services and there were 2 strollers on the luggage cart (we used the BB that last day). The guy must have thought we were crazy.

:)
Actually you were smart!
I would bring the backpack carrier but he is 31+ pounds now and very busy so I don't think I dare! Besides it really kills my hair! This is a vaca so I don't want to make my husband work that hard!

I think I will go to the local Walmart and buy a $12 or $40 stroller just for the trip! They have a disney theme (simba) umbrella type stroller. THey have 2 actually - one cheapo no frills model and one with basket under and canopy with reclining seat (great for naps). But is it worth the extra weight and size - AUGH decisions! Maybe I will buy bolth! :rolleyes:

How old is your DD now?
Very young on first trip ahe! My DS weighed 12-13 lb at a month old!

Thanks again!

I've seen the Simba stroller at WalMArt, but not the one with the basket and canopy. I'll have ot keep my eye out in case they get them in stock at the store near me.

My DD was 5 months old on the trip. She was about 12 -13 lbs. at the time (we just had her 6 month appointment yesterday, and she weighed in at 14 lbs. 4 oz.). She was 8 lbs. 1 oz. at birth, but has been a bit of a slow gainer (at 1 month, she hadn't even regained her birthweight).

--Kathy

:) I went to wally-world and bought bolth strollers this morning! The one with canopy and basket that reclines only folds in half vertically - so is still a little bulky! It is nice though it also has child tray & cup holder (removable), adult cup holder (removable) and most importantly with my little terror is harness belts instead of just lap (he can climb out of those!) But the umbrella is so cheap - and wouldn't be comfy to sleep in! But I figure we can try the bigger nice one and if after the first day we decide it is to big we will have the other one!
My mother in law thinks I am crazy to bring 2 but I figure that at naptime he could sleep in the one that reclines near the pool or whatever - the thought of spending 2 hours in a room waiting for him to get up from a nap - AUGH!
My mother in law suggested bringing monitors with me and then letting him sleep in the room and sitting by the pool but I don't think I would be comfortable with that unless we had a poolside room.
Your little girl in a peanut ahe! My little man is the opposite - has always been off the charts - I feel like I was robbed - I never had a 'little' baby. he was 9lb 2oz when born!

Patty I was robbed too!!! my kids were 10.5, 9.14, 9.10 and twins that were 6.12 and 7.4!!! and my boy twin who is 2 is killing me !! I think hes bigger than my oldest (10.5) was at his age. Im so amazed!! my twin daughter is a much slower grower, thankfully, she can get more wear out of her clothes.

When I looked at getting a better stroller for DW, the weight for them was an issue. thats why I stuck with the umbrella, if it broke, it wasnt a big money issue. Ive gotten my moneys worth out of them. Try to get one of those mesh bags you hang on the back, they really hold alot of stuff, it comes in handy.

Wow Tinktwins those are some BIG babies! Even the twins were big - for twins!
Did you have gestational diabetes? I did with DD who is 8 and we knew early enough with son that I was on a VERY strict limited carb diet (which nearly killed me itself :) I can't image his size if I hadn't been on that diet!
I bought the umbrella stroller - and I took him in a walk to DD bus stop yesturday and I HATED it. I am 6'tall and size 9 1/2 foot. I kept stepping on and kicking the wheels - the tires are to close together or something! I don't know if I will get used to it!
AUGH!
My DH thinks I'm going crazy - We have original stroller (bulky that car seat fit on), jogging stroller, umbrella stroller and 'convenience stroller'.
:)

Just remember Mrs. Trigger that my offer to lend you the stroller I bought for our last Disney trip is still open :D The absolutely ONLY problem I had with it (it's an Evenflo Featherlite) is that you can't keep stuff in the basket underneath when you fold it up. That actually wasn't too bad because it kept me from overpacking stuff - if it couldn't fit in the backpack it wasn't coming!!

BTW, at the rate you're going you're going to beat my post # in no time, LOL!!

You caught me Jenny2 :D
You will have to help me get my countdown - I did it once and it didn't work!
I am just happy to have my printer working again YAH
The only way I will borrow your stroller is if you can sew his name onto it like you did hers :p JUST KIDDING!

Although you were right about one thing Jenny2-
I believe the problem was the cable because I put it back to parellel port and it is working!
What are you using for e-mail now? E-mail me the new adress please!

pattyt
No luckily I did not have any difficulties. Even with the twins, everything was great. I was just huge at the end and couldnt walk very well and had heard enough of people telling me I was huge and must be having twins!!!! Gee thanks I hadnt noticed!!!

you know something your right about the umbella im only 5'5" but I trip on it alot too. But getting on and off the trams ect. you need something quick easy and light just remember that. although you have your daughter to help and only 1 toddler. mine take lots of juggling and Im a bit nervous when we are out in public, DS loves to take off running !!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter