Join the letter writing campaign re: new Loews program

I'm bummed about these changes too but I can't help but laugh at people who are saying they'll take their business to Disney instead. Yeah, because Disney has ever given something for nothing at their hotels. :laughing:

You could stay 100 times. You'll probably get struck by lightning twice before you get a welcome gift and a suite upgrade at a Disney hotel.

Well, one positive (only positive) is that now I'll be able to book at the lowest rate possible (APH!?) without having to consider spending extra for a qualifying rate!

I'm bummed about these changes too but I can't help but laugh at people who are saying they'll take their business to Disney instead. Yeah, because Disney has ever given something for nothing at their hotels. :laughing:

You could stay 100 times. You'll probably get struck by lightning twice before you get a welcome gift and a suite upgrade at a Disney hotel.

No, but if your nights don't count, it isn't worth staying at Universal anymore with the high cost of gas when you are actually visiting Disney.

Most of us will have our status for 18 months. A lot can happen in 18 months. Loews has a pretty great track record with their guests and customer service, so I am optimistic that things will work out.

No, but if your nights don't count, it isn't worth staying at Universal anymore with the high cost of gas when you are actually visiting Disney. [

Most of us will have our status for 18 months. A lot can happen in 18 months. Loews has a pretty great track record with their guests and customer service, so I am optimistic that things will work out.

goofy, i have always agreed with you and think like you do.
18 months from now can bring many changes.

when i go solo, disney is more of an expense for me than universal.

i always stay at disney resorts then transfer over to universal for five nights during hhn time.

i use the AAA for a 10% discount for room only at disney.
let me tell you this:
booked 8 nights at disney for value resort. cost $95 + 13.5% tax for weekdays. additional $10 charge for weekends. (fri and sat)

the above is with the AAA discount for room only.

so i pay out over $110 for weekdays and add $10 more to that for weekends per night.

i would be better off financially, staying off site and using shuttles to the disney parks. i won't rent a car and pay the $14 for wdw parking and have the car sit in a lot all day. better using a shuttle even with limited hours.

disney is about to lose my business. the hotel rates for value resorts is not worth it to me. this is just me saying that, families do come out ahead staying at value resorts.
a one day ticket with no hopping at disney is now at $75 a day.

i think i will rather stay at universal at the rph and use the AAA discount or super saver and come out ahead.
fotl, no car rental needed, plenty of places to grab food at

then if i do disney, i'll do the $14 rt mears shuttle for the days.
the shuttle will be cheaper for me in the long run.

i am going solo to orlando. if i took my sons with me, no, it would not be the same for costs. my system would not work out well money wise then.

I just emailed all the addresses given on this thread. I just achieved Gold status this year and now this, one can't one . . . :confused: :mad:

Well, one positive (only positive) is that now I'll be able to book at the lowest rate possible (APH!?) without having to consider spending extra for a qualifying rate!

I did not realize this until I received an email response from Loews this afternoon alluding to this fact. This is definitely a plus to be able to book at the APH rate and still get the Loew's amenties.

Here is the "form letter" response I received to my email. I was a little annoyed with the email since 3/4 of my email was stating very positive things about Loews and how I will continue to be a loyal customer. I only expressed disappointment with the number of stays required to keep my Loews status v number of nights, especially considering that they have a very limited number of locations for the business traveler (me) to be able to maintain those 10 visits a year.

Here was the response:
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our new YouFirst program. While we are sorry you are disappointed, we sincerely hope that you will give the new program a chance and enjoy many of our new benefits including free internet access every time you stay. Additionally, the definition of a qualifying stay has been greatly expanded, so more of your stays will count towards points under the YouFirst program.

We understand that change is often difficult, but are confident that the YouFirst program will ultimately delight you as much as the previous program did. We truly appreciate your business and hope to see you at a Loews Hotel again soon.

Your Friends at Loews Hotels

My email was addressed to the VP but I imagined she has been swamped with emails and phone calls. Only Goofy got the personal touch! LOL!!

I did not realize this until I received an email response from Loews this afternoon alluding to this fact. This is definitely a plus to be able to book at the APH rate and still get the Loew's amenties.

Here is the "form letter" response I received to my email. I was a little annoyed with the email since 3/4 of my email was stating very positive things about Loews and how I will continue to be a loyal customer. I only expressed disappointment with the number of stays required to keep my Loews status v number of nights, especially considering that they have a very limited number of locations for the business traveler (me) to be able to maintain those 10 visits a year.

Here was the response:
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our new YouFirst program. While we are sorry you are disappointed, we sincerely hope that you will give the new program a chance and enjoy many of our new benefits including free internet access every time you stay. Additionally, the definition of a qualifying stay has been greatly expanded, so more of your stays will count towards points under the YouFirst program.

We understand that change is often difficult, but are confident that the YouFirst program will ultimately delight you as much as the previous program did. We truly appreciate your business and hope to see you at a Loews Hotel again soon.

My email was addressed to the VP but I imagined she has been swamped with emails and phone calls. Only Goofy got the personal touch! LOL!!

I don't think that the APH will be a qualifying rate. What I meant is that because I take only 1 or 2 trips a year, I'll be at best a blue member. It's more important to me to save money than to mantain just a blue membership, therefore, I'll book at the cheaper, non-qualifying rate such as APH if available, instead of a qualifying discounted rate.

I don't think that the APH will be a qualifying rate. What I meant is that because I take only 1 or 2 trips a year, I'll be at best a blue member. It's more important to me to save money than to mantain just a blue membership, therefore, I'll book at the cheaper, non-qualifying rate such as APH if available, instead of a qualifying discounted rate.

I totally read your other post too fast! You were clear in your statement. I guess I am curious by what additional rates qualify based on their statement in the email: "Additionally, the definition of a qualifying stay has been greatly expanded, so more of your stays will count towards points under the YouFirst program."

Could APH rates now qualify?

Could APH rates now qualify?

Nope.

Paragraph 2 from the YouFirst Terms and Conditions...

YouFirst benefits and points awards are based on completion of a qualifying stay at any Loews branded Hotel. A qualifying stay is one at any standard rate published by the hotel. Group, volume corporate and consortia rates do qualify under the terms of the YouFirst Program. Third party, government, Universal Passholder and Universal Florida resident rates do not qualify, nor do rates through any other discount program, coupon, complimentary or promotional offer

Nope.

Paragraph 2 from the YouFirst Terms and Conditions...

YouFirst benefits and points awards are based on completion of a qualifying stay at any Loews branded Hotel. A qualifying stay is one at any standard rate published by the hotel. Group, volume corporate and consortia rates do qualify under the terms of the YouFirst Program. Third party, government, Universal Passholder and Universal Florida resident rates do not qualify, nor do rates through any other discount program, coupon, complimentary or promotional offer

Then how did the heck is the definition of a qualifying stay greatly expanded as stated in their email? :confused3 I only used AAA and supersaver rates but they were always a qualifying stay. I'll have to call them back tomorrow and ask if I have time. I'm confused but that is not unusual for me. I am taking solace that in the next 18 months Loews may decide to evaluate the program again. They really did have the best frequent stay program of any other hotel chain out there. It just stinks that all good things come to an end!

Then how did the heck is the definition of a qualifying stay greatly expanded as stated in their email? :confused3 I only used AAA and supersaver rates but they were always a qualifying stay. I'll have to call them back tomorrow and ask if I have time. I'm confused but that is not unusual for me. I am taking solace that in the next 18 months Loews may decide to evaluate the program again. They really did have the best frequent stay program of any other hotel chain out there. It just stinks that all good things come to an end!

The person who told you that the qualifying stays were greatly expanded may be the same person who believes that this new program will excite and draw new members into the program. Although initially great for platinum members such as myself, the changes are definitely bad for new members and if unchanged bad for most of the rest of us except a true business traveller that has multiple short stays at Loews.

i figured the new program all out now. it is not to my advantage to stay with loews program once my current level expires.

after i use my platinum card two more times, i am switching to another program.

Here was the response:

Hmmmm, form letter. I got the same one. Verbatim. Nice.

Dear Mr. Doe,

Sincerely,

I never got an e-mail and we are platinum. I called the public relations department and left a message - hopefully someone will get back to me. I called Loewsfirst to clarify the qualifying rate and they were clueless:confused3 I said it was supposedly expanded and she told me to call reservations and they might know.

There is no easy way for anyone to keep platinum and they have to know that. We are only a two hour drive from Universal. We usually go down for three or four night week-ends. This year we have been in Jan and April and June. We are going in Sept. for my husbands birthday, In Oct. for a short weekend(to meet Macraven!!) , for Thanksgiving (4 nights) and a week-end in Dec. for Christmas. Even with all that, under the new program we would not qualify for platinum. Basically we will have to go one weekend a month to keep our status- that is a LOT of driving and I am not sure it is worth it. We might have to go with Florida res. or passholder rate and just book two rooms.

i figured the new program all out now. it is not to my advantage to stay with loews program once my current level expires.

after i use my platinum card two more times, i am switching to another program.

I'm with you Macraven. DH and I were discussing this further and we agree keeping status just isn't worth it to us either. I would have to shell out at a minimum $1800 plus the additional $1600 we usually spend to stay at the Hard Rock on the club level to keep my platinum status. Crazy. Especially since usually DH and I stay on club with the 2 queen beds which means no upgrade to a suite, so the only benefit of continuing my platinum status would be for the $100 credit and free gift. For the $1800 I would save I can buy a lot more at the hotel, City Walk, or US/IOA. ;)

This year will be the first time I have been upgraded to a suite at the Portofino, so I will take advantage of it, this year and possibly next year while I am still platinum, after that, it is back to the Hard Rock club level. :)

You will love the suite upgrade at Portofino. That is what stinks for us. Paying for a standard and getting a suite at Portofino is a great upgrade. The portofino suite has a huge bedroom and huge parlor and two bathrooms- much nicer than a standard room. But at Fla/passholder rates we can still get two rooms pretty cheap so that is what we will do after platinum expires.

I just got off the phone with Loews new customer service - 1-877-LOEWS14 to inquire which stays qualify under the new program that did not qualify under the old. The CSR was obviously confused. She tried to tell me it depends on my level. I told her I believe she was wrong. She also told me that I need to have two qualifying stays by 1/1/09 to keep my Platinun status. I told her it was only one stay. She is going to send my question back to "corporate customer service" and will email me when she gets an answer. I have sent a reply email asking the same question. "What does greatly expanded" mean in their email and what rates now qualify that did not before. I'll post back when I hear something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter