July 17, 2004 Magic (Western)

Hi Everybody! We're still in the Spring Track & soccer season, but we paid our cruise in full last week! We're not big excursion people (we're happy just to be cruising!) but my son 16 & nephew almost 13 & I would like to swim with the stingrays @ Grand Cayman. Is it better to book on your own through Stingray City or to go through your travel agent? Thanks for any info..it's getting close!!!! Cathie & The gang:grouphug:

Hi, everyone!!!
Well, I just paid our cabin off in full!! That is so exciting!!

Cathie --
We booked on the 11:15 stingray city excursion, which is 2 hours (plenty long enough in our experience) and leaves enough time to visit a beach before heading back to the Magic.

That is the only excursion we are planning to book, though Howard and I loved the jeep excursion in Cozumel. I think we will take more time this trip to relax on the beaches and to enjoy the ship and shipboard activities.

Have a great day, everyone! And be sure to make your final payment today!

Next, we'll have to start a document watch thread!

Hi,

I was wondering the same as Cathie. I haven't had a chance to check out the Capt. Marvin's website. I gather that it is a better deal than the DCL stingray excursion. So, maybe I'll sign up for the 11:15 as well.

The only other excursion we were looking at was the trip to Tulum. I don't know if I will get any documents ahead of time, because I booked through MouseEarsVacations. But it would be exciting to see something from DCL! After all of that money I sent in.

My DS (also 15 but going on 16) is a bit shy, but I don't want him hanging around us the whole vacation. So it would be good for him to meet other cruisers. His email address is itbyrnes@comcast.net. Feel free to write to him.
His brother is invariably watching over his shoulder as he types. My kids haven't had a chance to get excited about the cruise because the end of the school year is so compacted. I expect that after finals, they'll be really busy with planning.

Jeanne

PS: I'm a Univ of MD alumni, so I hope you Penn State folks will still talk to me! ;)

Well, today is the 60 day mark till the cruise and I called and made all of our excursion reservations. We're kind of going all out on this trip since my son Jake's best friend Matt is going with us (both 14). Key West will be kinda low key (low key, Key West get it!). We're doing the Old Town Trolley/Conch Train Tour. In Grand Cayman we're doing the Island Tour and Snorkeling with Stingrays. In Cozumel we're doing the Cozumel Ruins and Beach Tour. We really wanted to do Tulum, but I'm afraid it's going to be way too hot for a whole day of exploring ruins. That evening the boys are doing the Fury Catamaran Teen Cruise. On Castaway Cay the boys are doing the Wild Side in the morning while my husband Brian does the Castaway Cay Bottom Boat Fishing excursion (he is REALLY looking forward to this!). I, on the other hand, will have all morning BY MYSELF!! I think I'll get a float and rent a bike for a while. After afternoon is the best excursion... Brian, Jake and Matt are all going to parasail. I'm not going to parasail, but will be going along on the boat as the "official" photographer! Not that I'm afraid to parasail, but I'm saving up some $$ for my favorite store in WDW...the jewelry room in The World of Disney!! We'll be at WDW for 9 days after the cruise, so I need to pace myself on my spending!!

I actually teared up after getting off the phone with DCL. It's so REAL now, only 60 days away. I booked this cruise in January 2003, almost a year and a half ago. It's hard to believe it's getting so close. The next milestone will be getting the official DCL cruise documents.

Tonight I'm working on our daily itinerary spreadsheet. I know it sounds kinda "anal", but I'm an Accountant and I like to be organized and not forget anything or miss out on anything. It's so funny, just today at work I was talking to another Accountant friend of mine. She's going to a dude ranch in Canada in a month. She told me she was starting to pack, finally. She knows that I've had my suitcase out for a few months throwing vacation related items (new swimsuit, sunblock, etc.) in as I get them. Anyway, I told her that a few years ago I made up a master packing list and put it on a spreadsheet. She laughed and said "I just did that last night!" We Accountants are cut from the same cloth!!

Have fun counting down the days everyone!!

Hi again Everybody!!! Jeanne, my son Travis is 16..his e-mail is soccerplayer1287@comcast.net, maybe they can get in touch before the cruise. We also booked through Mouse Ears Vacations our TA is Pam, she's really nice. Can't wait to see those docs! Thanks for the info about the Stingray excursions. We're going to try & book this week. Talk to all of you soon!! Cathie & The Gang:jumping1:

Hey Dznyacct...Don't worry about being anal...my sis is a legal secretary & we do itineraries for all of our trips ( we just got back from WDW 3 wks. ago. ) I think it's fun to plan out what you want to do , etc & it gets you excited for the trip.We're very organized like you too. We drive the guys crazy!! Have fun planning & talk to you soon!!!! Cathie & The Gang:mickeybar

Hi, everyone!! Okay, I know I am in GREAT company. I have had my packlist from our 5/01 cruise with the kids and the 6/02 cruise for just me & DH and have combined them and updated them. I also took out the spreadsheet I had from the 6/02 Western and started adapting it to a cruise with two major differences -- early dinner because of Jason & Chrissy's little ones (4 1/2 and 20 months) and having our DD15 and DS11 along! It is so much fun to be reminded of all the great shipboard stuff we did last time, like the wine tasting and the Art of Entertaining.

I wanted to respond to a couple things about excursions, based on our experiences. We LOVE Captain Marvin's. We have been to stingray city with his company twice and are doing it again. I like that he doesn't take too many people at once on his boat and his crew was sooo patient letting the kids hold and pet the stingrays. I am sure the other tour companies are great as well, but I just don't have any experience with them.

For Cozumel -- we heard the ruins are absolutely amazing, but incredibly HOT and a lot of walking. So, you will want to be sure to wear very comfortable shoes and hats and plenty of sunscreen (especially on the backs of your calves and the tops of your feet!).

The tropical jeep excursion in Cozumel is easily the most exciting thing Howard and I have ever done!! We and our friends had a jeep to ourselves because we could drive a stick shift (if your party doesn't have somebody who can drive a stick shift, they may reorganize the party to have someone in each jeep who can). The terrain was so rugged and we were driving through forrests and puddles to get to a completely desserted beach, where we played volleyball, lounged under umbrellas and ate a very authentic mexican lunch. It was fabulous!!!!

In Key West, we have done the Conch Trolley Tour -- it was a great way to get to know the island and some of its history and lots of fun trivia. When we got off the tour (I think it was 1-2 hours?), we had fun just walking around downtown - the conch fritters at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville were delicious!

Hope all of this helps!:teeth:

Thanks for telling me about this site, Keenercam!

We're sailing with y'all! (Yes, I'm from the south!) It will be me 42, DH - 46, 3 DSs 23, 19, & 16 and my best friend - 42!

I made our shore excursions and now I'm like the rest of you, waiting on the doc delivery!!

In Key West we're doing the Trolly Tour

Grand Cayman - Stingray City Tour

Cozumel - Xcaret

and just chillin' on CC

16 yo DS is also signed up for the Fury Catamarn Teen Cruise and the Teen Wildside so maybe he'll get to meet and hang with some cool Dis kids!:)

I'M SO EXCITED!! This will be our second cruise but our first Disney and we're staying 4 days in Orlando afterwards.

Good morning, everyone!! Just wanted to say hello and check out my countdown timer!!! :D

Hi All - The Sullivan Family Reunion Checking in. 14 of us in our group coming from Cary, NC; Roxboro, NC, Berkley Heights, NJ; and Marco Island Fl. Our kids are:

Bridgette - age 5
Rosie - age 5
Maureen ("mo") - almost 4
Mickey - age 3
Ellie - age 1
and a new born girl Colleen.

This trip has been in the planning stages for about 3 years - and the kids are very excited. Our girls like to watch the Disney Cruise video as part of "movie night" on a regular basis.

We are working on creating some sort of T-shirts for the trip - so keep your eyes open for us.

The children coming with you are going to have the trip of their lives! Welcome and we'll be on the lookout for the Sullivan Family Reuinon!

Hi everyone.... just checking in, it has been weeks and weeks since I've even had time to check the site. I am glad my DW (Cam) has popped in and helped a lot of you out and said hello. She is a wealth of information and is highly organized and motivated. She's an attorney, not quite an accountant, but on the same level.

I am a PSU alum.. I spent 2 great years (Associates Degree)studying at a commonwealth campus (New Kensington) in the town I grew up. I have spent many weekends at State College and also have been there for several football games too. I am also a graduate of Widener University with a bachelors degree in Business Administration/Management. However, my heart is blue & white forever. I love State College especially in the fall. What a great drive there from Delaware up through the mountains. For all non-PSU Alums, we welcome you with open arms. I have a friend who graduated from Maryland too. Small world.

As the day draws near for our cruise I get more excited. I can't wait to dine at Palo's, sit and relax on the lounge chairs on deck 4. take in a show in the Walt Disney Theater and sip a fruity libation next to the adult pool.

I hope we can all meet on deck prior to us setting sail. In the past the DIS group would wear green ribbons so that we could identify each other. We met on deck and toasted the trip and each other. It will be a great time this year too.

We booked this trip while we were onboard the Magic (western)in June 2002. We had such a great time on the Western, we wanted to share it with our children and friends.

I will check back more frequently as time goes on...keep posting and keep this on the front page. We will undoubtedly get even more people posting who will be onboard the Magic with us.

Thank you!!
:bounce:

Just got my docs for 1 of our staterooms today!! Be on the lookout, guys! Now just waiting on our other cabin's docs!!

Any of you guys doing the Stingray City snorkel & swim @ Grand Cayman? My son 16 & nephew almost 13 & myself will be doing the excursion, probably with Captain Marvin's. I've heard that's one of the best excursions. It's getting close!!!! Cathie & The Gang:mickeybar

We're doing the Stingray city tour ( me, DH, DF, DSs 23, 19, 16) but booked thru Disney. We're doing the trolley tour in Key West as I called the chamber of commerce and the guy I spoke with suggested this was a great way to see and hear about the city. Ds, 16, is signed up for the Fury Teen cruise and Wild Side at Castaway and we're all signed up for Xacret in Cozumel.

Hi, everyone!
We are going to just walk around Key West on our own, since we have been there twice and would like to show our kids around. We will also have our Godchildren for the day --4 1/2 and 20 months and will look forward to showing them around.
In Cozumel, we are just going to go to the beach on our own and enjoy a relaxing day, soaking up the sun and then shopping at this great souvenir shop we've gone to in the past. I think in the evening some of the adults will do Carlos & Charlies.
In Grand Cayman we are doing Captain Marvin's Stingray City 2 hour excursion at 11:15, then off to a beach somewhere.
DD-almost16 is signed up for the Teen Fury Catamaran and the Teen Wildside.
We still have to figure out transportation for us (4) from MCO to Poly; our friends (4) from MCO to Poly a day later; all 8 of us from Poly to Port; us from port to a hotel near airport for Saturday night; our friends from port to airport or to a hotel near airport; then us from airport hotel to airport -- looking into shuttles, rentals, and hotel complimentary airport shuttles! Then also have to find a hotel for us (and maybe our friends) for Saturday night. I am letting them figure out their own flight arrangements since they will be flying out of Newark NJ. Fun stuff
Now, if we would just get the documents, I'd be doing this:Pinkbounc :smooth:
Have a great day everyone!

Hey Keenercam! I think we may be doing the same Stingray City Excursion with Captain Marvin's. I need to talk with my sis this weekend. Maybe we 'll see you there! Cathie & The Gang:wave2:

Hi,

It has been a while since I had a chance to get on. First, I want to say hi to all of the folks who recently posted. I like the idea of wearing green ribbons (or something like that) at the deck party, in order to meet all of you. I really enjoy checking the boards out. I, too, recently asked VerandahMan to send the DD8 in our group a postcard from Minnie. What a great hobby!

Cathie, I know that my DS15 wrote to your 16 year old, so hopefully they can have some fun meeting over the Internet. My kids are caught up in the end of school rush. They have finals next week and then we'll all have more time to think about this vacation. Meantime, they're not willing to sign up for any excursion.

I did sign all 8 of us up with Capt. Marvins for the 11:15 excursion. It sounds like just our speed. I am thinking about the scavenger hunt in Key West. Somewhere on the boards, it was mentioned as a fun thing to do. There is so much to do in Cozumel, it is really hard to make a choice.

Diznyacct: I loved your note. 9 days in WDW!!! and I know you won't see the same thing twice. We have two boys: 13 and 15. Between them and Cathie's crew, there should be enough to fill in some basketball teams.

I gather from our TA (Tim at MouseEars) that we won't actually get our docs until 2-3 weeks before the trip. :-( So we have a bit of a wait.

Catch you all later,
Jeanne

Our reservation was split into 2 seperate ressies because of having connecting rooms (7005 & 7007). I got 7007's docs yesterday and am now waiting on 7005.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter