• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

July 2013 with a 1 year old...Yes we ARE that crazy! We're back & had a great time

It sounds like everything is starting to come together! Where are you planning to stay? Are you thinking of getting a villa or a suite at AoA to house all those people, or just splitting up between regular standard rooms? (Sorry if you already shared your hotel plans!)

We are still debating the whole driving vs. flying thing. I am nervous about both a long car drive AND a flight with a one year old. Driving would save us big money and we would be able to bring a lot of extra stuff that you need with a LO, but flying would be much quicker and easier. I'll be watching to see how flying goes for you!

I was hoping to stay in a suite at AoA (Nemo) but I've heard a couple people complain about uncomfortable beds?! And worried about the murphy/table bed not having a view of a tv. Everyone likes to watch TV before bed. (well, my mom says it's no biggie b/c she can watch on her kindle)

We could just do 2 Little Mermaid rooms, which is appropriate as I have a daughter, but wonder if there would still be a comfort issue there even with the regular bed?

But I have heard a few people say they slept just fine. I never know what to think. I have never ever had a problem with Disney beds, even at the value resorts I've always found the beds to be quite comfortable and I sleep like a queen! It worries me that they may have lowered the quality of the beds they put in AoA, to save some money.

thoughts??

YAY!!!!

Glad you got a good bonus and DH is on board to go

That's awesome your dad is in.

Since you like your sister's BFF, sure no issues there. You have DH and DD and your mom has your dad, so only fair your sister has someone :goodvibes

Now her BFF is not sure whether she'll go, due to money. Honestly it doesn't matter either way, to me. But I'm sure she'd love to go, as she hasn't been since she was very little.

Joining in! Your daughter is beautiful. :goodvibes Congratulations! I can't wait to read more about your plans.

thanks and Welcome to my report!! So glad to have another reader!

And congrats on your pregnancy!

Oh yeah, the plans! I have a LOT of details to work on....I'm a little overwhelmed but it's all good!

So now that the trip is definitely ON, it's time to introduce the cast!

but first...

the WHEN: Saturday, June 29 through Friday, July 5. (This is because my DH is in school, and this week is his ONLY break until his next one during Christmas week)

WHERE: Well, I know it will be a value resort, unless we can score a killer deal on renting DVC points. I'm considering the AoA suites (Nemo) but just worried about comfort, as I stated in my last post. Maybe if we did 2 Little Mermaid rooms instead of a suite, we'd all have real beds and therefore would hopefully be more comfortable? I'm jus not sure. The LM rooms also seem pretty far from the main hub & bus stops. I know that I would love to stay at AoA and try out the Nemo pools! I won't do the All Stars again. My 2nd choice would definitely be Pop Century, where we stayed for 3 years in a row. My parents & sister have never stayed at Pop.

So is AoA worth it?? That's where you DISers come in. Any suggestions/comments?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and without further ado, the WHO:

The-Who-Music-Wallpaper.jpg

Oops, wrong Who!!....:rotfl2:

First we have my DD, Harper, who is currently 7.5 months old, but will be just 2 weeks shy of her first birthday when we arrive at WDW! She is a little ham, and she LOVES music and "dancing", and is beginning to pay attention to Disney Jr when I turn it on. I suspect she may be walking by the time of the trip! I sure hope she loves all the characters! I know things can change a lot between now and then, but it doesn't take a whole lot for a stranger in the grocery store to get her to smile and laugh, and she absolutely loves when we play "superman" (bring her in the air with my feet, and back down and up over and over again). So hopefully she'll love Dumbo!

here she is with her new shades that she will wear in WDW!
17D195FC-485F-4F44-B0C7-EA6ADF0B4D03-2565-000002A85E418C3C_zps86620fc4.jpg

And at Walmart
97A2F878-3D8B-45FB-BE09-7A72240716ED-2565-000002A8B6D4DB86_zpsc72ed12f.jpg

And when I first greet her on weekend mornings...
EB852E06-0CAB-4107-AB3E-EC5F043EDCAC-2565-000002A8A1499BBE_zps2d59989c.jpg

Then there's my DH, Mike. He's 31 and lookin' for fun. Hah, I couldn't resist the rhyme. He had only been to Disney once, at the age of 6, before my family and I took him to Disney about 6 months before our wedding (in 2006) during the 4th of July. Before we got there he said to me, "Look, if I want to stay behind at any point, just let me, okay?" Clearly, he had no clue what he was in for!
I can attest that at no point during that trip did he ever stay by himself, or even express wanting to stay behind. He was go-go-go with the rest of us, commando trip, fast-pass running, and enjoyed everything! We would then go as a couple for the next 3 years in a row during the free dining promotion.

Here's a picture of him from our trip waay back in 2008
P1010042.jpg

Then there's my DM, Darlene, also known as "Gammy" to my DD (we sure hope she can say Gammy by then) and she is her caretaker when my DH and I are at work so she is very close with her granddaughter. She's "50 something" as she would probably rather keep her exact age a secret, and she is a born and bred Disney enthusiast! I realize it wouldn't seem that way, with so many years between trips, but it was not by her choice! She has been itching to get back and is SO excited to go this year, not only with me but with her one and only grandchild, and see the World through her eyes.

Next we have my DDad, Calvin, also known as Pawpaw to my DD (hope she can say that one too). He's also 50something. He has always had a love for Disney, once my mom's family brought him for his first visit ever--as an adult. My mom said his favorite thing is any water ride, and the water parks of course. He just likes to be extremely careful about money, so it took a little convincing to make this trip happen. He really deserves the vacation though!

Here is a picture of my lovely mom & dad (sorry it's a few years old):

PICTURES1046.jpg

And my Dsis, Tracey, who is 24 (turning 25 in April), is just like DM and I and cannot get enough of Disney! There's one thing that she refuses to ride this year, and that is Tower of Terror. She hates the feeling of dropping! We coaxed her on it during our last trip but she refuses to go on this time, and says she will watch Harper while the rest of us go. If she could see the Rock n Roller Coaster's track, she probably wouldn't ride that one either!

P1011347.jpg

Not the greatest pic, but you get the drift.

Her best friend is not so sure if she's coming. If I find out for sure that she is, I'll post her picture (after clearing it with her). Her name is Marcy and I know she's so jealous that her boyfriend just got back from a WDW trip with his family. Now, he didn't have any complaints about AoA, so that's a positive...

There is so much to think about! Coming up,
  • we'll have to make a decision on where to stay very soon,
  • whether or not we want the dining plan ( I know I do -- so at least hoping for Quick service plan)
  • make a few ADR's (I secretly already made one!!! - Guess which one!) - regardless of dining plan decision
  • book flights (hoping for a DING! fare)
  • research and purchase a new Disney-friendly stroller
  • and more!
Stay tuned!!

WOO HOO

I love me some details

Faunt just stayed in Mermaid rooms . He has a TR on it. Ask him his thoughts.

I visited AOA and it did not seem like a long walk to lobby from Mermaid section:goodvibes

I guess you made an adr at LeCellier

[*] I need to get back into Sunshine Rewards to earn more Disney money! I currently have close to $60, just from doing my shopping through their links, printing coupons, and the daily scratchoff, in the last year or so!
[/LIST]

try and do one survey a day, i did that last year and ended up with about 250 for our trip.:thumbsup2 but congrats on the earning so far.

another nice thing about your dad driving is he can take more booze with in the car for you.:thumbsup2

im guessing you booked chef mickeys for your little girls first character meal:)

Your daughter is gorgeous. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip. It sounds like it'll be a blast

thanks so much! I have a LOT to talk about, whenever I find the time! LOL

WOO HOO

I love me some details

Faunt just stayed in Mermaid rooms . He has a TR on it. Ask him his thoughts.

I visited AOA and it did not seem like a long walk to lobby from Mermaid section:goodvibes

I guess you made an adr at LeCellier

thanks, I did, and lookie loo, he showed up too! :thumbsup2

YES, you're correct! I made an ADR at Le Cellier b/c they are known to book up so quickly! I made it for the 4th of July at 4:45 since I know we will be in Epcot on the 4th. ;) It is subject to change, but we have a little time for that!

try and do one survey a day, i did that last year and ended up with about 250 for our trip.:thumbsup2 but congrats on the earning so far.

another nice thing about your dad driving is he can take more booze with in the car for you.:thumbsup2

If it were easy to qualify, I could probably do that, but I have always had a tough time finding a survey to actually do to completion.

:rotfl: about the booze! Newest development is my dad actually said he might fly!!! I guess if we can find a good enough rate, he'll come with. Fingers crossed! (I'm kinda holding out for a deal or a DING fare to come up...)

thanks for joining in, Dan!

im guessing you booked chef mickeys for your little girls first character meal:)

sorry, Kelly guessed right, it is Le Cellier. I want to book a breakfast at Chef Mickey's but I figured it can't be TOO hard to get in, right? If not, there are a few other options.

So the dates are set, June 29 to July 5. Everyone has their days off work, now we need to get moving! As a lot of things have changed since our last trip, I'm a little rusty, AND I've never been with a baby before, so it's a whole new world!

First, we still need to decide where to stay.

We are just "on-property" people, where the magic is, so there's no question about that. We also don't need frills, so a value resort works great for our group. My parents (and sister) have never stayed at Pop, because it did not exist at the time of their last trip. I personally enjoyed Pop, but I think Art of Animation (AoA) looks awesome and would love to stay there (Nemo pool anyone?) ---BUT--there are a few things that concern me.

1. I keep hearing about how busy the resort is, and buses are packed, etc. I doubt the newness will die down by July, in fact, it should be even more crowded due to the summer/4th of July vacationers. Will the increase in the # of buses for summer crowds pick up the slack? Or will Pop Century be a little calmer in terms of bus lines? (Even if dad drives, we won't have enough room in the car for everyone, so we will be using Disney transportation throughout the trip)

2. I think a regular room is the best option for us, because it's around $300 cheaper than staying in a suite (and even cheaper to stay at Pop) and we wouldn't have to worry about pulling out the couch or pulling down the table into a bed every night. I also think the regular beds provide the most comfort. And we don't really have a need for the kitchenette. We want to spend as much time at the parks as possible, and don't like to "cook" in any way when at WDW, if we can help it.
So at AoA, that leaves us with 1 option - The Little Mermaid section. That theme is fine with me (but I SO wish there were "regular" Nemo Rooms too!) The biggest concern about that is the distance to the main building/food court and the BUS STOPS. In that heat after a long day, with a 1 year old, will make for a long walk! And in the morning, I think every minute counts when it comes to getting to that bus to get to the parks! This is just a rough estimate that comes from experience--starting about 30 minutes before park opening, every 5 minutes, at LEAST 20 people show up to each bus line, which means that 5 minutes you waste in the morning can be the difference between catching a bus or waiting another 10-20 minutes for another. So 8 minute walk from the room to the bus stop means more waiting in line, and showing up to the park later. And while you wait, the lines at the park are getting longer and longer. It's a vicious cycle.

You may call it overanalyzing, I call it thinking ahead.

So the question is: new resort, which may be fully booked/crowded, and require a longer walk to the bus stops and main building, OR a resort we are more familiar with, which may still turn out to require a long walk (kind of a shot in the dark at this point), isn't as nice, the pool area isn't as cool, BUT it may not be as crowded????

Next up: Dining plan options

So the dates are set, June 29 to July 5. Everyone has their days off work, now we need to get moving! As a lot of things have changed since our last trip, I'm a little rusty, AND I've never been with a baby before, so it's a whole new world!

First, we still need to decide where to stay.

We are just "on-property" people, where the magic is, so there's no question about that. We also don't need frills, so a value resort works great for our group. My parents (and sister) have never stayed at Pop, because it did not exist at the time of their last trip. I personally enjoyed Pop, but I think Art of Animation (AoA) looks awesome and would love to stay there (Nemo pool anyone?) ---BUT--there are a few things that concern me.

1. I keep hearing about how busy the resort is, and buses are packed, etc. I doubt the newness will die down by July, in fact, it should be even more crowded due to the summer/4th of July vacationers. Will the increase in the # of buses for summer crowds pick up the slack? Or will Pop Century be a little calmer in terms of bus lines? (Even if dad drives, we won't have enough room in the car for everyone, so we will be using Disney transportation throughout the trip)

2. I think a regular room is the best option for us, because it's around $300 cheaper than staying in a suite (and even cheaper to stay at Pop) and we wouldn't have to worry about pulling out the couch or pulling down the table into a bed every night. I also think the regular beds provide the most comfort. And we don't really have a need for the kitchenette. We want to spend as much time at the parks as possible, and don't like to "cook" in any way when at WDW, if we can help it.
So at AoA, that leaves us with 1 option - The Little Mermaid section. That theme is fine with me (but I SO wish there were "regular" Nemo Rooms too!) The biggest concern about that is the distance to the main building/food court and the BUS STOPS. In that heat after a long day, with a 1 year old, will make for a long walk! And in the morning, I think every minute counts when it comes to getting to that bus to get to the parks! This is just a rough estimate that comes from experience--starting about 30 minutes before park opening, every 5 minutes, at LEAST 20 people show up to each bus line, which means that 5 minutes you waste in the morning can be the difference between catching a bus or waiting another 10-20 minutes for another. So 8 minute walk from the room to the bus stop means more waiting in line, and showing up to the park later. And while you wait, the lines at the park are getting longer and longer. It's a vicious cycle.

You may call it overanalyzing, I call it thinking ahead.

So the question is: new resort, which may be fully booked/crowded, and require a longer walk to the bus stops and main building, OR a resort we are more familiar with, which may still turn out to require a long walk (kind of a shot in the dark at this point), isn't as nice, the pool area isn't as cool, BUT it may not be as crowded????

Next up: Dining plan options

That's great you all got the dates off

No matter what resort you are staying at, they will add more buses when it is super busy, like that time of year

I would not worry about it too much

I am absolutely no help in the planing department but I am here for the ride!:flower3:

Iloved reading your planning! We are bringing our son in may who at the time will be turning one while we are there. People think we are crazy for bringing him but I just ignore those people! :rotfl2:

We are staying at POP. and have a full line up for dining reservations as well.

I will let you know how POP is with a 1yr old when we get back! For the price though we couldn't pass it up.

dont let the bus thing worry you too much...just set the clocks in the room 15 minutes fast when you check in and dont tell anyone.:thumbsup2 then you will be plenty early for the bus line when you choose AoA to stay in.
:goodvibes

:rotfl: about the booze! Newest development is my dad actually said he might fly!!! I guess if we can find a good enough rate, he'll come with. Fingers crossed! (I'm kinda holding out for a deal or a DING fare to come up...)

then if you are all flying let me know i have a "guy" that owns a business as a beer runner in orlando.

much cheaper beer than by the glass at the resorts or the six packs.

I've never posted on here before so I really don't know what I'm doing! But I just had to say you're baby girl is beautiful! We are taking our ds to Disney for his first birthday! Were headed down December 1st and staying at The Wilderness Lodge! I'm enjoying reading your ptr! OH and our baby boy has the same nursery bedding as your sweetie only the boy version in blue! Love it!

Finally joining in! So glad you are going back! Maybe we'll get a completed TR out of it this time? :rolleyes1

Iloved reading your planning! We are bringing our son in may who at the time will be turning one while we are there. People think we are crazy for bringing him but I just ignore those people! :rotfl2:

We are staying at POP. and have a full line up for dining reservations as well.

I will let you know how POP is with a 1yr old when we get back! For the price though we couldn't pass it up.

that's awesome! I say ignore those people too! LOL

Very excited for you!

dont let the bus thing worry you too much...just set the clocks in the room 15 minutes fast when you check in and dont tell anyone.:thumbsup2 then you will be plenty early for the bus line when you choose AoA to stay in.
:goodvibes

then if you are all flying let me know i have a "guy" that owns a business as a beer runner in orlando.

much cheaper beer than by the glass at the resorts or the six packs.

LMAO about setting the clocks. I might have to try that one...we'll see if it flies. ;)

Thanks I'll have to tell the hubby. On 2nd thought...maybe not. :rotfl:

Great PTR! :)

thanks! It'll get to rolling boil soon enough. :lmao:

I've never posted on here before so I really don't know what I'm doing! But I just had to say you're baby girl is beautiful! We are taking our ds to Disney for his first birthday! Were headed down December 1st and staying at The Wilderness Lodge! I'm enjoying reading your ptr! OH and our baby boy has the same nursery bedding as your sweetie only the boy version in blue! Love it!

welcome! I'm glad you've chosen my PTR to follow! Thank you so much! How exciting that you're going for your son's 1st birthday too! I didn't realize they made that bedding in blue....I just love it. Giraffe's and elephants are my favorite. :)

Finally joining in! So glad you are going back! Maybe we'll get a completed TR out of it this time? :rolleyes1

:rolleyes:

talk to the hand! :rolleyes1

wow, she went there :lmao:

she so DID! But it's my own fault.

I'm a meanie :)

yes, yes you are. :sad1:

Ohhh snnnnap!

:rotfl2:

Just catching up ~ "the Who" :lmao:!

I'm so glad that SOMEONE caught that one!! I was beginning to feel a little ancient. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter