July 2023 planning and chat thread!

After 10 trips to WDW, we are finally going to DL July 9-11! I have always wanted to go and finally talked my DH into it! It will be the two of us plus our college-aged DD. We are staying at the Disneyland Hotel and my DD & I are both super excited! I do find the planning process to be completely different than our week-long trips to WDW though.

After 10 trips to WDW, we are finally going to DL July 9-11! I have always wanted to go and finally talked my DH into it! It will be the two of us plus our college-aged DD. We are staying at the Disneyland Hotel and my DD & I are both super excited! I do find the planning process to be completely different than our week-long trips to WDW though.
How exciting! You are going to be at the DLH the same time we are!

Please feel free to ask any questions here, someone is sure to know the answer. :)

Heads up everyone!

Tomorrow, March 3rd, is 120 days out from July 1st!

This means we can start making park reservations really really soon!

Dining reservations can be made for July 1st on May 2nd!

My daughters (ages 22 and 15) and I are visiting Disneyland for the first time in July. We’re staying at Desert Inn with 2 days in the parks with park hoppers, and a day to do an LA tour since this will be their first trip to the west coast. Then on to Aulani. We’ve been to WDW many times and are really excited to finally visit the original.

I just bought our 5 day hoppers with G+ and can make park reservations for our entire trip as of Monday!

The tickets were eyewateringly expensive when converted to Canadian $ but I did manage to get the tickets at a slight discount over getting directly from Disneyland.

How are everyone's plans going?

We will be making our first visit to Disneyland all the way from Rhode Island 7/28-8/4/23 staying at GCH. So excited to finally be in Walt's park. GCH and flights are booked.

We will be making our first visit to Disneyland all the way from Rhode Island 7/28-8/4/23 staying at GCH. So excited to finally be in Walt's park. GCH and flights are booked.

Welcome to the thread! I love love love the GCH, we have stayed on the hotel side twice and in the DVC villas twice. It is our preferred place to stay, we are only doing the DLH this time because my sister has never been there and I just know she is going to adore the headboards!

I am here to check-in. :cheer2:
Family trip (my parents and me) end of July with 5 days park hopper and a break day to catch our breaths in between … We stay at the BW Anahaim inn...
We are from Germany and this is a “remake” of our planned but canceled trip thanksgiving 2019 (ended up in an impromptu solo trip for me because my mom broke her wrist).

Right now, I plan on doing a character dinner (only goofys is doing dinner, right?) on our first full day Thursday (non park day and my dad’s birthday) and a break day on Monday to go shopping…
WoC dessert party is also planned but we probably won’t do a Fantasmic package (save some $$$)…

Glad to have found this thread! Just sneaking in with dates of July 31st - Aug 8. It's our first time visiting and we are so excited!

I am here to check-in. :cheer2:
Family trip (my parents and me) end of July with 5 days park hopper and a break day to catch our breaths in between … We stay at the BW Anahaim inn...
We are from Germany and this is a “remake” of our planned but canceled trip thanksgiving 2019 (ended up in an impromptu solo trip for me because my mom broke her wrist).

Right now, I plan on doing a character dinner (only goofys is doing dinner, right?) on our first full day Thursday (non park day and my dad’s birthday) and a break day on Monday to go shopping…
WoC dessert party is also planned but we probably won’t do a Fantasmic package (save some $$$)…

Welcome, glad you both found the thread!

As far as I know, the only character dinner is Goofy's, the rest are all breakfasts.

We're definitely doing the WoC dessert party, WoC was not running when we were there March 2022 so my sister has never seen it! Debating F! dining package since she has not seen that show either and leaning towards the River Belle Premium package so we have somewhere to sit that is not on the ground but I am a bit concerned about how good the view is from there.

No character meals planned, DS is turning 18 while we are there and even when he was little, meeting characters was never high on his list of things to do so we will skip this. Having said that, we have done pretty much all of the character meals in the past (Goofy's, Minnie&Friends, Storytellers back when it was Chip&Dale and friends, and we also did the Surf's Up many years ago at PPH). For us, we enjoyed the Minnie&Friends the best, the variety of characters you met back then was amazing!

Glad to have found this thread! Just sneaking in with dates of July 31st - Aug 8. It's our first time visiting and we are so excited!

First trips are SO exciting! Feel free to ask any questions and I am sure someone on this thread can answer!

First trips are SO exciting! Feel free to ask any questions and I am sure someone on this thread can answer!
I do have one question already, probably the first of many, lol.

We are going on my daughter's birthday. My son wanted to go on his but that will never be possible for us with our work schedules. (his is spring).

Is it possible to label it a birthday trip for them both and maybe get him a birthday button as well? He wouldn't be upset if he couldn't and definitely not the type to make a fuss, but it would be nice to get him one.

I do have one question already, probably the first of many, lol.

We are going on my daughter's birthday. My son wanted to go on his but that will never be possible for us with our work schedules. (his is spring).

Is it possible to label it a birthday trip for them both and maybe get him a birthday button as well? He wouldn't be upset if he couldn't and definitely not the type to make a fuss, but it would be nice to get him one.

You can totally ask for a birthday button for him as well!

We went last March, around 2 weeks after my actual birthday but since the trip was to celebrate me turning 50, I got a birthday button! :)

We are heading west from the Northeast for the first time July 1st-July 4th and staying at GCH/GCV. Post DL trip we are heading to San Diego for a wedding and will be there from the 4th-9th. We are doing the San Diego Zoo for my son's 5th birthday on the 5th, and probably will hit La Jolla at some point in there as well. Excited for the trip west and starting to do our homework on the differences between DL and WDW.

We plan to book storytellers character breakfast for our last day (July 4th) before making the drive to San Diego. Excited to try all the Disneyland food we can. In terms of the extras are there any that you definitely recommend (WOC dessert party? Fantasmic Dining Package?) is it doable to see Fantasmic and the fireworks the same night? We have Churros, monte cristo's, bread bowls and bengal bbq on the list of things to try...anything else we should definitely add on? Anything you would skip as WDW regulars? We are leaning towards skipping Star Wars land as everything seems pretty much identical. However, we were still planning to do most of the other rides, as there do seem to be slight variations between the DL versions and the WDW versions.

Last edited:
We are heading west from the Northeast for the first time July 1st-July 4th and staying at GCH/GCV. Post DL trip we are heading to San Diego for a wedding and will be there from the 4th-9th. We are doing the San Diego Zoo for my son's 5th birthday on the 5th, and probably will hit La Jolla at some point in there as well. Excited for the trip west and starting to do our homework on the differences between DL and WDW.

We plan to book storytellers character breakfast for our last day (July 4th) before making the drive to San Diego. Excited to try all the Disneyland food we can. In terms of the extras are there any that you definitely recommend (WOC dessert party? Fantasmic Dining Package?) is it doable to see Fantasmic and the fireworks the same night? We have Churros, monte cristo's, bread bowls and bengal bbq on the list of things to try...anything else we should definitely add on? Anything you would skip as WDW regulars? We are leaning towards skipping Star Wars land as everything seems pretty much identical. However, we were still planning to do most of the other rides, as there do seem to be slight variations between the DL versions and the WDW versions.

Welcome! I've added you to the list!

So, I can 100% recommend the WoC dessert party! We've done it a few times and are planning on it for this trip again. The last time we did F! dining package was quite a few years ago, back when Blue Bayou gave out seat cushions...I actually think I still have our somewhere in the basement.

As for things to make sure you don't miss vs things you can skip, there are a few attractions that are basically the same, some that are definitely better in DL and some that are better at WDW.

Off the top of my head and in no particular order, although I will see if I can go through the parks logically counter clockwise. :D

Tomorrowland:
Astro Orbitor - better at WDW simply because it is on top of a building
Buzz - better at DL, the guns are not fixed to the car so easier to shoot.
Star Tours - basically the same ride inside, WDW wins out because of the entrance.
Space Mountain - MUST do, it is without a doubt better at DL.
Autopia - better at DL
Finding Nemo Subs - unless you are claustrophobic like me, don't skip this

Fantasyland:
Dumbo - same as WDW but with a worse queue
TeaCups - same as WDW but without the benefit of the covered area.
Peter Pan - Similar to WDW, 100% worse queue at DL but the ride itself I think DL has this one.
King Arthur Carrousel - what can I say, it'a a carousel but if you are VERY lucky and quick, you can grab Jingles.
It's a Small World - I debate which is better, TBH. I love the outside of this at DL but I am on the fence about adding the IP characters.
Do not miss the rest of Fantasyland, especially Mr. Toad!

ToonTown:
Well, just don't skip this at all!

Galaxy's Edge:
You are right, the attractions here are basically identical as at WDW although interestingly the rocks that make up the land are different on both coasts to better fit in with the natural landscape of FL and CA.

Critter Country:
Depends on if Splash is still open but if it is, ride it! Not as big a drop as WDW's one had but this might be your last chance before the refurb.
Winnie the Pooh - skippable but it is cute with a typically short line.

New Orleans Square:
Haunted Mansion - slight differences but because DL's has the Hatbox Ghost, don't skip it!
Pirates: 100% the better version! Longer, with scenes the WDW one does not have, and also this one has 2 drops instead of 1.

Frontierland:
Big Thunder - debates all around for which is the better version so don't miss it and make up your own mind!

Adventureland:
Indiana Jones - same basic ride vehicle as Dinosaur but I think much better theming. Long ride queue, even with a LL so be prepared.
Treehouse - Closed for big refurb
Jungle Cruise - WDW takes this one without a doubt! Longer and with scenes that DL does not have.

I think that is all for DL., DCA will be much easier!

The only three rides I can think of off the top of my head that are similar are Little Mermaid, Toy Story Midway Mania, and Soarin'. Keep in mind, if Soarin' happens to be showing the original Soarin' over California, DO NOT SKIP IT! :)

Other than that, Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout is the same ride vehicle as ToT, but don't skip this, the music and theming is just great!

Phew, that was a short novel but hope it helps!

I also recommend the WOC dessert party. It is expensive but in my opinion worth it because the other options to watch WOC involve standing for quite some time… I did it twice with a FP years ago and I had a hard time enjoying the show because my feet hurt because of all the standing… for me there are only 2 options: dessert party or trying to catch it from someplace outside the designated viewing areas.

There are different fantasmic packages but they don’t differ much regarding your viewing experience (besides the tables at riverbelle). I enjoy sitting down and you have a pretty good view with all of them. I did the BB one twice because I wanted to dine there anyways…and really enjoyed it.

If you do the first fantasmic show (giving there are 2) the fireworks are right afterwards. So it is easiest to just stay where you are in your viewing area (maybe shuffle a bit towards the railings). There are projections on the water fountains and you can see the fireworks above thunder mountain. It’s a little different than castle view but pretty nice. That viewing spot ranks second in my personal ratings behind the the viewing location in front of iasw. (I might have mentioned it, I don’t enjoy standing for an extended period of time after a whole day of waking in DL…;))
Rushing in front of the castle after fantasmic might be doable but I wouldn’t suggest it, especially if you aren’t solo.

Welcome! I've added you to the list!

So, I can 100% recommend the WoC dessert party! We've done it a few times and are planning on it for this trip again. The last time we did F! dining package was quite a few years ago, back when Blue Bayou gave out seat cushions...I actually think I still have our somewhere in the basement.

As for things to make sure you don't miss vs things you can skip, there are a few attractions that are basically the same, some that are definitely better in DL and some that are better at WDW.

Off the top of my head and in no particular order, although I will see if I can go through the parks logically counter clockwise. :D

Tomorrowland:
Astro Orbitor - better at WDW simply because it is on top of a building
Buzz - better at DL, the guns are not fixed to the car so easier to shoot.
Star Tours - basically the same ride inside, WDW wins out because of the entrance.
Space Mountain - MUST do, it is without a doubt better at DL.
Autopia - better at DL
Finding Nemo Subs - unless you are claustrophobic like me, don't skip this

Fantasyland:
Dumbo - same as WDW but with a worse queue
TeaCups - same as WDW but without the benefit of the covered area.
Peter Pan - Similar to WDW, 100% worse queue at DL but the ride itself I think DL has this one.
King Arthur Carrousel - what can I say, it'a a carousel but if you are VERY lucky and quick, you can grab Jingles.
It's a Small World - I debate which is better, TBH. I love the outside of this at DL but I am on the fence about adding the IP characters.
Do not miss the rest of Fantasyland, especially Mr. Toad!

ToonTown:
Well, just don't skip this at all!

Galaxy's Edge:
You are right, the attractions here are basically identical as at WDW although interestingly the rocks that make up the land are different on both coasts to better fit in with the natural landscape of FL and CA.

Critter Country:
Depends on if Splash is still open but if it is, ride it! Not as big a drop as WDW's one had but this might be your last chance before the refurb.
Winnie the Pooh - skippable but it is cute with a typically short line.

New Orleans Square:
Haunted Mansion - slight differences but because DL's has the Hatbox Ghost, don't skip it!
Pirates: 100% the better version! Longer, with scenes the WDW one does not have, and also this one has 2 drops instead of 1.

Frontierland:
Big Thunder - debates all around for which is the better version so don't miss it and make up your own mind!

Adventureland:
Indiana Jones - same basic ride vehicle as Dinosaur but I think much better theming. Long ride queue, even with a LL so be prepared.
Treehouse - Closed for big refurb
Jungle Cruise - WDW takes this one without a doubt! Longer and with scenes that DL does not have.

I think that is all for DL., DCA will be much easier!

The only three rides I can think of off the top of my head that are similar are Little Mermaid, Toy Story Midway Mania, and Soarin'. Keep in mind, if Soarin' happens to be showing the original Soarin' over California, DO NOT SKIP IT! :)

Other than that, Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout is the same ride vehicle as ToT, but don't skip this, the music and theming is just great!

Phew, that was a short novel but hope it helps!
Definitely helpful...thank you for all the information!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter