July heat busters for 10yr old?

hollybearsmom

Please send my fairy godmother home, pronto!
Besides the misting fans or cooling neck towel, any hints for facing the heat with a boy who doesn't like drinking lots of fluids?
Thanks

We went in July last summer and it was scorching the entire time. Even in the morning when we went to leave our resort it pretty much hit us when we opened our door to the outside. My kids were 13 and I pretty much just told them they were going to drink water whether they liked it or not (as nicely as possible of course). I am not a water drinker and I made myself do it as well. We started the day with one Brita full of frozen water then another with cold water from the fridge (then refilled with free cups from counter service locations). I also brought along some flavorings (which I don't generally allow but all I was worried about for those few days was getting the fluid into them so I let it go, although we only flavored the last day). I had set them up starting about a month prior telling them they were going to need to drink so when I was constantly on them it was not unexpected. Taking a few swigs of liquid here and there is a lot more pleasant than going down and we did see a woman go down while were waiting for the Tiki Room to open (we had an unopened towel that we passed up to her family and thankfully she was feeling better by the time the wheel chair arrived for her but it was a bit frightening when she went down).

Starting a month ahead is a good idea. I dread the whining and fight it's going to be. Hopefully less than I imagine.

I have always been the type to set them up about everything. Even in just every day life like right now I am about to go tuck them in and will give them the rundown of tomorrow's schedule. For the trip we started walking a few months before, I warned them about the heat (we went 4th of July), the crowds and prepared them to potentially share CS meals (I was paying OOP and really didn't think we would always need that much food). There is no way to know if my constant babbling worked but there were no moments of resistance and sometimes it was actually their idea to share something.

The walking we practice, but the heat I'm just not sure about. Definitely planning evening swim time.

Get him use to drinking water at home before you go. I have taken my nieces on two trips each and I had a rule that if one of us had to go to the bathroom the other one had to try and go to. Since they were young I was able to tell if they were getting dehydrated as they wouldn't have to go when I did. So I would hand them the water bottle and tell them to drink before they started to get sick. Look up all the signs of dehydration online and give your son a copy before your trip. Tell him you don't want to have to spend the day at the hospital with him instead of the park so he is going to have to drink lots of water in the heat.

Plan some indoor shows, restaurants, etc. during the hottest times of the day 11-2 (that's our hottest, FL might have longer). Dole Whip Floats might help-if he likes them.

Don't forget some salty foods to keep him hydrated.

So I suggest taking a look at all the attractions in the park and plan to interperse activities that are indoors throughout the day. I would highly recommend knowing the shows that tend to have less of a wait so that if everyone seems to be at a breaking point you can head to it. Some of my suggestions would be carousel of progress & country bear jamboree @ MK; the Seas & Ellen's Energy Adventure @ Epcot, and A Bugs Life, Nemo show @ AK.

I also recommend going back to the hotel every day for pool time. I find that It really recharges everyone to just chill out in a pool. You may not achieve as much but when it's that hot - the parks are very difficult to take in large doses IMHO.

My older son isn't generally a "drinker", but thankfully, 6 weeks of day camp each summer, where they spend a lot of time outside has gotten him used to drinking water when it's hot. Just keep having him take a sips every so often. You may be surprised to find that he will be thirsty just because he is in the extreme heat.

Have you got any of the wicking shirts, not sure if that is what they are called but they help. Get him used to drinking water. I have found if you start them with really cold ice water, they will drink it better. Also, if people start to get snippy, take a break in the air conditioning. Hall of Presidents is a wonderful one!

My 9 year old DS is a major sweat bucket and his face gets super red when we are in the florida heat. With that said, we take both the fan spray bottle and a cooling neck towel and that is perfect! He likes going up to water fountains to cool down the towel again. We also take a break mid day in the pool. A significant amount of lines are indoors, and in the a/c so I think you will be just fine :) Hope this puts you at ease!

As others have said, afternoon shows, Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamboree, Phillarmagic. Or other indoor activities as the other parks.

Our DD isn't a big drinker either, so we try to give her the Strawberry frozen bars when she is extremely hot.

If you are doing the dining plan, you can also look at scheduling meals at the hottest time of the days in the park. Crystal Palace, CRT, Tusker House in the late afternoon can help cool you off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter