• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

July Trip: Are we completely NUTS?

mchames

Mouseketeer<br><font color=red>Desperate times cal
We are diehard off-season travelers. We live in Atlanta and have been known to drive down for spur-of-the-moment overnight Disney trips which by the way, we consider perfectly normal. On the other hand a trip in July just seems plain old crazy to me, but since I've never been one to turn down a chance to go to Disney, we're going to go ahead and give it a shot.

This never-ever-considered-before-July-trip came about when my husband and I decided that we would spend our 10th anniversary on an Alaskan cruise (July 11-18) and leave our DD6 & DD4 with my parents (for the first time ever) who have just recently moved to Ocala, FL. Since we're leaving the girls for a week, we thought we should plan a vacation for them too. We suggested a week at the beach or a 4-day Carribbean cruise, when DD6 said "Don't Grandma and Grandpa live near Disney World? Let's just go there!!" and DD4 excitedly agreed, we knew we were sunk. If you knew my girls, you would know that they NEVER agree on anything, this decision was unanimous and no amount of cajoling or bribery was going to get them to change their minds.

So, here we are, planning a trip to WDW in July and for the most part I am clueless. We've done several off-season trips. We've done moderate crowds (MLK, super-bowl Sunday when super bowl was in Tampa, Labor day) and heat (May & September), but never both at the same time. This is what I have planned and any advice would be appreciated.

Sunday, July 18- DH and I will be arring at MCO (from our cruise) at 10:45pm. We will check into VWL (rented points) and get settled in.

Monday, July 19-
Morning- get up early drive to Ocala to pick up the girls, visit with my parents and do a grocery stop hopefully getting back to VWL by 4pm.
Evening- head over to MK.
GOALS: 6:30pm PS at Liberty Tree Tavern, meet Minnie Mouse (at dinner), see Spectro and Wishes any rides that we are able to do at this time will be bonus.
This is an E-Night, but I don't think we will be staying, with the park closing at 10pm I think E-Night will be just too late for us.

Tuesday, July 20-
Morning- breakfast in villa, AK for opening
GOALS: Safari, Dino Dumbos, KRR, Lion King and/or Tarzan shows
Afternoon- lunch either counter serve at AK or at hotel, leave AK between 12-1pm to swim and NAP
Evening- 5pm PS at Whispering Canyon head over to MK
GOALS: Start hitting the rides. I'm thinking of concentrating on Adventureland and Frontierland rides like Magic Carpets, Splash, BTMRR, HM and saving Fantasyland for EE on Thursday morning. What do you think?

Wednesday, July 21 -
Morning- EE at EPCOT and 10:10am PS at PSB in Norway
GOALS: ride Test Track and Mission Space during EE, see princesses at breakfast
Afternoon- leave EPCOT shortly after breakfast, swim, NAP
Evening- MGM Fantasmic Dinner Package at Mama Melrose 6:10pm
GOALS: see Beauty and the Beast and/or Little Mermaid, dinner and Fantasmic. We have yet to see Fantasmic and I am really hoping we don't get rained out.

Thursday, July22-
Morning- breakfast in villa, EE at MK
GOALS: Hit Fantasyland first- Dumbo, Pooh, Peter Pan, Philharmagic, Goofy's Barnstormer, and Minnie's house then Buzz and any Frontierland/Adventureland attractions that we missed
Afternoon- stay until we can't take the heat and/or crowds, lunch at counter service or hotel, swim and rest
Evening- 6:05 PS at Kona Cafe, Girls' choice of park: either EPCOT for Illuminations or back to MK for anything we missed

Friday, July 23-
Morning- breakfast in villa, check out. We will either head to Downtown Disney for some shopping or if we're up to it one of the parks for anything we missed. Have not decided if we will be heading straight home this day or spending the night in Ocala with my parents and heading to Atlanta on Saturday. We're pretty flexible at this point and want to see how we're all doing after all of this travelling.

NOTES: We will be using APs, so I don't mind not spending ALL DAY in the parks. Things I have listed as GOALS are the things that are "must dos" for my girls. I'm hoping that I don't have too many.

Thanks for reading this long-winded post.
Mary:teeth:

We also have a July anniversary and have celebrated many times (including this year) at WDW. I think your goals seem very do-able and realistic. Being from HOTlanta you know just to keep a slow pace, take it easy, cool breathable clothes and lots of water. Also remember the suncsreen for shoulders/arms and little noses!

My advice on Fantasyland is to get there right at park opening and be persistant in tackling the attractions until you are finished. If Dumbo is a priority hit it the very first thing. Don't forget to utilize fastpasses as well.

You'll do just fine. Your plans sound awesome! Enjoy your trip!!

We were there in early June. It was in the 90s every day but the humidity wasn't as bad as during a previous July trip. That said, I couldn't get my two DSs, 6 and 8, out of bed for EE. We rested every afternoon but they were just dog tired from all the walking and the heat. Just a thought...

We have been in July the last two summers and celebrated our anniversary there in 2002. It rains almost every afternoon, so be sure to take a poncho or umbrella if you're going to the park. That's the only other advice I can give. Have fun!

You'll be in the world the same time we are! This is our 2nd July and we also had 2 August trips. Your plan sounds doable. What lucky girls!

mchames,

Sounds like you've thought it all thru!! We're going the same week you are! We're staying at WL. This is our first time in July also. We always go off season. We'll be in it together!!! I'm just as excited and looking forward to this one as all the others. Have a great time and look for the lime green mickeys!!::yes::

It may not be for you, but what I'd do (and did it w/my DD4 & 6) is Wed the 21st take a long afternoon nap and then hit e-night at MK. The e-night was really the only time on all of our park visits I could completely relax, not worry about crowds, and take it all in.

Sleep in Thursday morning (no need for EE at MK now) and then get a late afternoon start at MGM. Make PS's for Mama's Thursday evening and take in Fantasmic as the conclusion of your park visits.

Thanks everybody! I just needed some reassurance that we haven't completely lost our minds.

My big concern is trying to do everything we want to do at MK with the large summer crowds. On e-nights are the evening crowds larger than non e-night nights in the hours leading up to the time that e-night actually starts?

Deweysgirl: It is a family tradition to hightail it to DUMBO upon entering the park. No stopping for pictures, no admiring the scenery, just a mad dash for the flying elephant. Once that has been accomplished DD4 is good to go for the rest of the trip without ever riding the elephant again, though Aladdin and the Dino Dumbos at AK are must do's as well!!:teeth:

Cooldisneymom: We've never "needed" to go in the summer before. DD6 has just finished kindergarten and since we take a few short trips throughout the year we've been able to go with her only missing a day or two at a time, so off-season travel really hasn't been a problem. With my parents now living in Ocala, I see opportunity for more trips to WDW. :teeth:
OT: By the way, where in Atlanta do you live? Perhaps we'll see you a the WL.

BrianMonk: I thought about doing an e-night, but our girls are usually in bed by 7:30 so the 10:00 closing even with a nap is probably pushing it. A couple of years ago, we did MVMCP and it was like wrestling alligators to get them to take a nap when they were not tired so that we could go to the park at night when they were tired. I'm hoping with the heat and early mornings that they will be more willing to rest. I am considering the Monday e-night, though, (since it's our first night) if everybody is up for it and post-poning AK Tuesday morning. I'm hoping to play that one by ear. Do you have to buy e-night tickets by a certain time?

Thanks again everybody. It's good to see that I'm not the only crazy one :D

Mary

Originally posted by mchames
Cooldisneymom: We've never "needed" to go in the summer before. DD6 has just finished kindergarten and since we take a few short trips throughout the year we've been able to go with her only missing a day or two at a time, so off-season travel really hasn't been a problem. With my parents now living in Ocala, I see opportunity for more trips to WDW. :teeth:
OT: By the way, where in Atlanta do you live? Perhaps we'll see you a the WL.

Mary,
School is the same reason we can't go off season anymore. DD13 is now in 7th grade and there's no way she can miss more than a day or two! The homework is enormous!! BTW, we live in Buford (approx. 45 mi. north of downtown) Hope you have a good time!!! Maybe we'll see you in the lodge.:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter