jumpiness of threads on the dis due to ads

This is definitely one of the worst forums when it comes to performance and freezing/loading issues. It's almost unusable on my phone. I'm thinking it's not just a problem with ads though. Probably something else on the backend too. Seems like they don't give a crap about optimizing the site for performance though...

This is one of my biggest pet peeves on any site. Especially when a huge jump is involved and the ad slows the page down.

That happens on a lot of websites. Part of it may be your internet speed. Part may be the speed of the ad server. Another part is that many of these ads are using up your compute power and they expand when they're ready to run. A slower computer/device might lead to strange jumps as the ad "expands". And as stated, some devices can freeze (short-term or for a while) if they're not powerful enough to process the ad program.

I don't have a problem with jumpiness but freezing yes. I can't load a few pages without it freezing and it's only this site. I thought it was a java problem because every now and then it'll come up with "a script has stop working" and when I stop the script the page works perfectly. However my java is up-to-date and again it's only this forum that has the issue (I visit other forums with the same set-up).

Perhaps if we move this to the Technical Support page it will have a better chance of being looked at?

That happens on a lot of websites. Part of it may be your internet speed. Part may be the speed of the ad server. Another part is that many of these ads are using up your compute power and they expand when they're ready to run. A slower computer/device might lead to strange jumps as the ad "expands". And as stated, some devices can freeze (short-term or for a while) if they're not powerful enough to process the ad program.

I'm a computer using a T-1 line and a quick processer. I don't think internet speed is the problem.

As someone else has mentioned, ad block plus works very well for avoiding issues when on a computer. I have yet however to find a way to fix this on an iPhone. For reference, ABP blocked 6 ads on this page in the time I was reading. That's ridiculous by any stretch.

I'm a computer using a T-1 line and a quick processer. I don't think internet speed is the problem.

Even if it's a fast processor, it could take seconds. I know on my favorite news website, sometimes there's a video ad placed right in the article. I've got a reasonably fast processor, but the ad just expanded at what seemed like a random time. On DIS, I've tried clicking on something, but then my target moved as an ad expanded.

That's the other thing. Some of these ads are programmed/animated and they don't expand as soon as they're loaded and processed.

I originally though that ads by adchoices are from Google because they are everywhere when surfing online.
But I start to feel anxious after I occasionally read a page showing the harm of ads from adchoices and the way of removal.
I tried to install the Chrome adblocke add-on and found that it can't help stop the ads actually. :crazy2:

I've had instances when I'm on the DIS (on my phone) and the App Store opens - I'm not even touching the screen! This will happen repeatedly and then, after re-opening Safari and getting back on the DIS, I'll get pop ups that say "unable to open app" - and that happens repeatedly! It's maddening!

I've had instances when I'm on the DIS (on my phone) and the App Store opens - I'm not even touching the screen! This will happen repeatedly and then, after re-opening Safari and getting back on the DIS, I'll get pop ups that say "unable to open app" - and that happens repeatedly! It's maddening!

The same thing happens to me sometimes too.

On my computer, I use the ad blocker (6 are currently blocked) and the forum still jumps around a bit. The jumping doesn't happen on any other forum I visit.

I am tired of the jumpiness. Not only that but now using my iPad I have to keep signing in. I even hit the check box for keeping me logged in and it does not work. This is frustrating as all get out.

I'm getting the same jumpiness as well. It definitely seems to be the FB link, which I wish you could turn off. I have no interest in ever linking my account here to my real-life FB account.

Anyway, I do come to the DIS for the community board, but I have found that other Disney forums out there are (a) much easier to navigate and (b) have less obnoxious / more informative posters on their park forums. (I don't mind the obnoxious ones here on the CB - they keep it interesting! :rotfl:)

Interesting that people are still having problems with jumpiness. I thought that they resolved the issue, because I find it to be a lot less jumpy now.

I have this happen on my nook, but not my home computer. Drives me nuts!

This keeps getting worse. Now I can't even respond to a thread without it jumping in the middle of my typing. It just did it again. I can't even finish reading a post without it jumping down to the ads. VERY ANNOYING.

Glad to see that it's the DIS causing the jumpy screens; thought it was something wrong but it's been going on for several weeks for me. I sort of have gotten used to but still don't like it.

I've noticed that sometimes my page scrolls down to the bottom of the page while I'm in a thread without me doing anything. I suspect that it's because of ads even though the blocker seems to be doing a pretty good job.

This keeps getting worse. Now I can't even respond to a thread without it jumping in the middle of my typing. It just did it again. I can't even finish reading a post without it jumping down to the ads. VERY ANNOYING.

Agreed!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter