• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

June 11-16 2017 Bahama Dreamin'

Hey folks. My family and I will be on this cruise with you guys! Myself, DW, DS (12)m DS (11), DD (6) and my stepmother-in-law. We can't wait till June! My DW and I took a Disney Cruise back in 2001 where I proposed to her. We have taken the kids to WDW a lot and just went to DL for the first time back in August. We live in Nebraska.

Passing this on. I found it helpful. My favorite tip was at the very end 51:58.

DIS Unplugged - Cruising Disney with Kids - 11/18/14

In this episode we discuss things you need to know when sailing Disney Cruise Line with children.

This has been posted before, but what fun things can you do that DCL doesn't tell you about?

My list:
  • Join the beer mug club. Gets you 18oz or 20oz pours. When you're done with your drink you turn in your empty mug and get a poker chip. Give the poker chip to another bartender and you get another beer stein. You keep the souvenier beer stein at the end of the cruise.
  • Use the men's/women's locker rooms in the spa at no charge! The locker rooms are quite luxurious. You can get body lotion and shampoo out of dispensers in the shower.
  • Ordering cookies and milk from room service before bed.
  • We always order coffee the last thing before bedtime on the last night of the cruise so we have coffee in the stateroom the next morning (when you can't order room service). It stays warm in the insulated carafe.
  • Bring a bed sheet and some small spring clips to rig a sun shade on the beach at Castaway Cay. If you set it up vertically, you'll stay shaded even when the sun moves.
  • I love that we can take our own beverages aboard beer, wine, spirits. In a checked bag. It's not allowed in public spaces. Limit is 2 bottles or 6 beers.
  • You can't do it all! Don't try! Take a highlighter, sit down with your family at night and go over the next days events. Decide what you want to do and highlight it. Take a highlighter for each member of the family.
  • Ship things to the ship. Like diapers. Our two boxes arrived before our luggage did.
  • Bring an inexpensive hanging shoe rack. Hang it on the bathroom door. Those pockets are great for toiletries, sunblock, cameras, etc.

I've never done these. I'm excited to try them.
  • Go swimming on embarkation day. Bring your swimsuits in a day bag when you board or kids can wear the theirs. That way you can hit the pool right away, before everyone's bags start arriving and it gets crowded. We like to eat lunch poolside and watch the kids swim as soon as we get on board. Then I sneak off to decorate our door with magnets at 1:30, which is the earliest you can get to your room. By the time the kids are done swimming, they head down to change and they get to see my latest masterpieces and a welcome message from me!
  • Breakfast buffet on disembarkation morning.
  • Ride the AquaDuck on Pirate night after dinner. No line whatsoever.
  • The "cake of the day" is on the Room service menu. It's in little printing:
    View attachment 198528
  • Buy the Passporter Treasure Hunt book. I don't have i tyet and it is mostly for WDW but is supposed to have hunts for the ships as well.
  • Speaking of treasure hunts. Don't forget the one on CC. You get your booklet the morning you dock there. It's great fun! For those who have been there before, it gives you something new to do. For those who have never been there before. It's a great way to explore the island. No promises, but you might even find buried treasure!
  • Challenge the kids to an ABC photo shoot (they must find somewhere for every letter of the alphabet to have their picture taken--A is for Animator's, etc.). Makes for a great scrapbook when you get home.
  • Tour the hallways to check out everyone's door decorations. Take a pad of sticky notes to leave messages for doors you really like.
  • Take an autograph book to have all the CMs you enjoy sign. We haven't done this yet, but we have occasional CM signatures in the regular books and find ourselves reading those (nearly always include a note) over frequently. Bonus: you'll have the correct spellings of all the CMs you want to mention by name in evaluations and/or letters.
  • Listening stations in sessions (grab a drink and snack and relax to good music)
  • Borrow a board game from Diversions and play with your friends (Diversions also has chips and salsa out most afternoons--like my chip fix!).
  • Exercise in the workout room at least once--just for the great view of the bridge.
  • Ask for the Hidden Mickey Challenge at Guest Services.
  • Pick a word (thank you or hello is nice though my kids tend to go for ice cream) to learn and see how many languages you can learn it in.
  • Leave a wake-up call. It's Mickey Mouse who will call you. When you answer, hit the speaker phone button so your entire cabin can hear.
  • I never saw this written anywhere, but we found a little "parking lot" of free baby joggers and red wagons to use on Castaway Cay. First come first serve and very handy moving a family over sand. We rode the tram to the family beach and kept walking down the path. They were to the left hand side (the ocean side) of the path. I can't remember exactly where but it was definitely past the Flying Dutchman and before you come to the shopping area.
  • The Golden Mickeys have a red carpet greeting before the show. I saw it on the navigator and thought it meant another character greet, but instead it means that you and your family get to walk the red carpet. It was so sweet because my DD was dressed in her Ariel outfit. When she set foot on the carpet, cast members did a little pretend paparazzi with prop cameras. They were not at all obnoxious, but nicely said things like "Oh! Look, it's Ariel!" "Ariel, please, look over here!" and flashed the cameras. She was definitely used to cameras by that time in the trip, so she walked slowly down by herself smiling shyly and having a good time. It was a fun surprise. If I had known about it, one of us would have gone down in front of her first and taken a picture of it happening. It's not huge, so I don't want to oversell it, but if you are a princess and 3 yrs old, it's definitely a moment! Older kids get interviewed before they go in and it is "broadcast" inside the theatre as a preshow to the main event.
  • When your kid goes to Goofy's Pajama party, they will get a pillowcases to color during the party and they get to take it home.
  • If you are a couple, just past the Buena Vista Theater are a couple of plush chairs with a small table in a small alcove before you get to the rooms. Get a couple of drinks, sit down, and have a quiet moment before going into the theater.
  • The pastry in the Cove Café is free! Well worth the stop in Cove Cafe for an extra special coffee and treat. During the afternooon, they had mini sandwiches.
  • They do pin trade on the ship. They even have a night where you can trade with the officers. We didn't see many unique pins on their lanyards, but they do have alot of cruise pins for purchase on the ship. They also have CC pins at CC.
Link to more tips:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Pg2mG-lswenU_d5chdnQ5VA9R34owEeevcTnQeDYrkA/edit?pli=1

Last edited:
We just booked this cruise yesterday! It will be me, dh, DS 18, DD 14 (15 at cruise), and DD10! My parents also just booked today, so it will be a full family affair!:) I joined the Facebook group, as well!

I
We just booked this cruise yesterday! It will be me, dh, DS 18, DD 14 (15 at cruise), and DD10! My parents also just booked today, so it will be a full family affair!:) I joined the Facebook group, as well!
Is there a Facebook group for our cruise, or just the Dis group?

Hi all,
We will be in this cruise. There is 6 of us, Me, DH, DD 13 (14 at the cruise) DD 11, DD 9, and DS 4.
This is will be our third cruise with DCL.
We are from California and interest to join FE group.

is there a formal night? I wasnt sure since it is a 5 night. I would also like to make reservations for Remy. How do we know the dining rotation so I can figure out what night to do it?

oh btw it will be me and dh celebrating my birthday with wdw week before and then cruise. Very Exited.

Last edited:
is there a formal night? I wasnt sure since it is a 5 night. I would also like to make reservations for Remy. How do we know the dining rotation so I can figure out what night to do it?

oh btw it will be me and dh celebrating my birthday with wdw week before and then cruise. Very Exited.[/QUOT

oh btw it will be me and dh celebrating my birthday with wdw week before and then cruise. Very Exited.

We will be there! We're honeymooning after getting married at WDW :) neither of us have cruised before. We're planning on parasailing, doing aquaventure at Atlantis, And Palo. Any recommendations for which night we should do Palo?

Just booked tonight! This is our 2nd Disney Cruise, first time on the Dream. It will be me, dh, & dd(6).

We need to get excited for this cruise! 126 days away!

Anyone staying around the port on Saturday night? Any insight into best hotel or maybe one with transportation to the ship?

We are flying in on the 6th and will stay at Kidani Village for a couple days then head to Port Canaveral on Saturday morning. We'd like to get on the ship as early as possible on Sunday to maximize time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter