June 2011 No Buy Thread- Keeping our summer spending in check

Good for today: we made it to 11 nights without eating dinner out! :cool1: It's our longest streak since I started tracking no buys 7 months ago!

Bad for today: I broke the best and most expensive pair of sunglasses I've owned. (And I mean BROKE. The frames are now in four pieces.) I'll start shopping for a new pair tomorrow, as I'm a person who wears them even in the fog and rain because I can't handle glare.
Hooray on your streak! That is amazing!

Also, I feel you on the glasses. I have very light blue eyes and the sun just kills me. I've worn sunglasses everyday for years. Both of my boys have the same eyes and they both wear sunglasses and have from basically birth. Sorry you broke your favorite pair.

Someone was actually insulting me recently, telling me I needed to get a life and go out and party more and spend more money. She already was complaining about the amount of debt she has, and she was trying to get a 2nd job so she can pay her bills. I do feel like lack of money is holding me back, but I'm trying to be responsible. SIGH!

That is just rude! What does Dave Ramsey say? It's good to be weird because normal is in debt up to the eyeballs.

Some of y'all are off to fantastic starts this month! :dance3::cheer2:

Our lives are becoming more and more consumerist...I never knew I had to get people Easter gifts until this year! All of a sudden, all these stores are telling that their products would make the "perfect gift for Easter". Good thing my family and friends weren't expecting any.

Going away? Like, away to college or just an end of the year party? I guess I'm lucky that graduation parties aren't a big thing over here. It's just another nice dinner out with the family.

I can't believe someone insulted you for that....

Ok, my first no buy day! DBF treated for a dinner out, so that doesn't take away from my eat out days. :cool1:

Congratulations on your $0 Buy Day! :cheer2: What kind of dinner did you have?

Yes, SO MUCH consumerism! Maybe next year I'll give Groundhog's Day gifts while I'm at it...:rolleyes1

I am a teacher. A bunch of teachers are moving over the summer, so there were going away parties (meals) for those people. Also, most groups of friends at work and/or teams would go out to eat to celebrate the end of the school year.

One person who is leaving prompted someone to set up an event that had a $35 cost, plus bringing the food for the party (potluck style).

Good for today: we made it to 11 nights without eating dinner out! :cool1: It's our longest streak since I started tracking no buys 7 months ago!

Bad for today: I broke the best and most expensive pair of sunglasses I've owned. (And I mean BROKE. The frames are now in four pieces.) I'll start shopping for a new pair tomorrow, as I'm a person who wears them even in the fog and rain because I can't handle glare.

11 Days no eating out! That is quite an accomplishment! I am not sure I could do that!

Bummer about the sunglasses! I also use mine a LOT because I hate glare. I have a $5 pair that I got at a Walmart while on a trip to Nevada. I have a tendency to forget to pack sunglasses, especially when I leave for a trip before sunrise!

Also, I feel you on the glasses. I have very light blue eyes and the sun just kills me. I've worn sunglasses everyday for years. Both of my boys have the same eyes and they both wear sunglasses and have from basically birth. Sorry you broke your favorite pair.

That is just rude! What does Dave Ramsey say? It's good to be weird because normal is in debt up to the eyeballs.

I also have blue eyes. I have heard that blue eyes are more light-sensitive. I don't know if that's true. Personally, I am light sensitive enough that if I'm driving and don't need my sunglasses, then I probably should be driving with my lights on for safety. It's headlights or sunglasses for me....sometimes both, if it's foggy!

Yup, that's what Dave says. I don't follow him to the extent that some people do, but I do like his baby steps, especially 1-3. Once you get to 4-6, I don't think he is the best source out there for investment information. I'm not sure who is, I just know it's not him. :rotfl:

I am actually planning to apply for another credit card soon. I'm going to get a card that has 0% interest for several months to have available to supplement my cash emergency fund (IF needed) through hurricane season.

I almost did a zero today, I stopped to get a tea for $1.10. So close!

6-3 $1.10 for tea
6-2 $105 for heat pump repair
6-1 $45.50 ish (check CC) for car repair stuff & Mcdonalds

Some of y'all are off to fantastic starts this month! :dance3::cheer2:

Congratulations on your $0 Buy Day! :cheer2: What kind of dinner did you have?

Yes, SO MUCH consumerism! Maybe next year I'll give Groundhog's Day gifts while I'm at it...:rolleyes1

I am a teacher. A bunch of teachers are moving over the summer, so there were going away parties (meals) for those people. Also, most groups of friends at work and/or teams would go out to eat to celebrate the end of the school year.

One person who is leaving prompted someone to set up an event that had a $35 cost, plus bringing the food for the party (potluck style).

I think I saw ads for Groundhog day gifts too...Such a shame.

We went to a ramen place nearby.

$35 for a potluck party??? What is she planning to do, hand out loot bags? Rent a bouncy castle?

We went to Kohls today. Hubby has lost 20 pounds, and is trying to lose more, but he had to have something for the in between. He was nice enough to buy me a new shirt and shorts out of his budget, so I bought lunch.

Running Total: Spent $107
$1100 budget... $993 left
$0 Days: 1
Goal is 8 or more!
coupon/sale savings : 9

Groceries budget- $350-54= 296
Wedding dress budget $1100
Disney weekend budget $550

June 1: 33 ( 20 post office, 13 gas)
June 2: 54 ( groceries)
June 3: 0
June 4: 20 ( 13 lunch, 7 Target)

$35 for a potluck party??? What is she planning to do, hand out loot bags? Rent a bouncy castle?

We have these places here that teach you how to paint a picture (on canvas). They are $35 for a 2 hour painting or $45 for a 3 hour painting. I've gone a few times and enjoy it; I think the price is fair.

I just can't afford to go paint a picture that I didn't really like just because somebody (that I don't particularly know well) is leaving. Also, you can bring your own food and alcohol to the painting place, but every time I've gone, people just lightly graze the snacks, so most of the food ends up going back home with you. People are too busy painting to eat a lot. The person organizing this private painting party wanted everybody to bring wine and food to share.

See, now I sound like a whiny non-social person because I don't want to spend the money on something like that. :laughing: I must need to get a life.....:rolleyes1:lmao:

CASH ($400):

1: $2.00 snoball
2: $31.00 school uniform shirts (yes, for me!) and lunch out with colleagues
3: $7.01 Popeyes
$40.00-40.01=$-0.01

4: $0!
5:
6:
$39.99-$0=$39.99

CASH Subtotal: $40.01
CASH $0 Days: 1

GAS ($75):

3: $14.11 ($3.45/gallon)

GAS Subtotal: $14.11
GAS $0 Days: 3 :cool2: :lmao:

Hello No Buy Friends! After a few months off I'm back. We're in our new house, all unpacked and ready to move forward with this phase of our life. I'm still a little iffy on my budget because I haven't gotten a set of utility bills for the new house yet. We're in a much bigger house in a new city with new providers, so I have no real idea what to expect. For this month, I'm hoping for 7 no buys and 7 days under $10. I'm so glad to be back!

June 1 $20 Dh's PT, $35 groceries, $7 took the boys to the movies- tickets were $1 each and I got us all a water to drink, $15 Subway after the movies.

June 2 $6 took the boys bowling- the games were free but I had to pay for shoe rental.

June 3 $40 groceries- had dinner with my parents, they wanted me to bring a few different things so I had to stop at the store and get a few misc. groceries.

June 4 $55 race fees for DH and both boys, $40 celebratory pancakes after the race.

0/7 No Buy Days
1/7 Under $10 Days

:scared1: Ouch! Why do I seem to think you live in Louisiana?

Yep! I live about an hour from NO, in the middle of no where... we each have quite a commute every day, for work and the kids' school. I think we had a king cake discussion back around Mardi Gras? That was my first month attempting no-buy, so far doing much better than I did then! Thanks for all of your ideas, checking this thread every day is definitely helping.

My original goals were 12 no-buy days and to keep up with my daily checks on my budget and expenditures. So far I have 2 no-buy days and I have been keeping up with the budget. 4 days is definitely a streak for me!

Good job on the 11 nights without eating out! :goodvibes

Hello No Buy Friends! After a few months off I'm back. We're in our new house, all unpacked and ready to move forward with this phase of our life. I'm still a little iffy on my budget because I haven't gotten a set of utility bills for the new house yet. We're in a much bigger house in a new city with new providers, so I have no real idea what to expect. For this month, I'm hoping for 7 no buys and 7 days under $10. I'm so glad to be back!

Welcome back 3goofyboys! Hope you are enjoying your new house. :thumbsup2

No Buy Days : 3/12
Gas : 0$ (max 120$)
Car : HOPEFULLY 0$
Groceries : 0$ (max 200$)
Eating out (and snacks) : 5$ (max 100$)
Non-necessities : 0$ (max 200$)

01/06 : 0$
02/06 : 0$
03/06 : 0$

04/06 : 5$ (fries)

Went to a tea party at my friends place today, so didn't have to make lunch! Also, DBF paid for groceries while I cooked it. Would've been a $0 day but Second Cup's chilled matcha green tea was calling my name...

My mom asked me what I'm getting my dad for Father's Day. I have no clue! If he wants something he just gets it.

Overall budget: $400
Gas: $46/70
No buys: 1/10
Eating out: 1/6

I'm going to try to limit how many times I can shop for certain items
Clothing: 0/5
The Body Shop: 0/4
Gifts: 0/4

1-$10.98 (groceries)
2-$2.09 (Burger King)
3-$0
___
$40-13.07=$26.93 (so far, so good!)

4-$5.37 (Second Cup)
5-
6-
___
$40-

Sale/coupon savings: $0

Thanks everyone! We currently rent and live in a one bedroom apartment so it would be awesome if it all works out, since our son would finally get his own room and we can stop throwing our money away. We go to the loan broker on Saturday.

Yeah, so excited for you guys. Believe me the buying is a lot easier than the selling. Which is what brought me to this thread. My house finally sold after being on the market for a year. While packing I realized just how much "stuff" I have. I don' think I will need to buy any shampoo, body wash etc for the rest of the year, if not two. So my goal is to not buy any personal care products, clothes, books, magazines or jewelry this month.

I made so many trips to the recycler and goodwill that it probably cost me a tank of gas.

I'd just like to keep my non-bill spending under $1000.

1- $32.99 Amazon (Zumba for Wii now that I have the okay to exercise!)
2- $59.27 Publix (saved $37.29)
3- $11 Red Lobster, $14.69 Target (saved $2.75), $26.16 Mother Earth (lactation aids), $52.00 Gas
4- $0 :thumbsup2

Sale&Coupon Savings: $40.04

:cool1: So i totally failed on the grocery front last month but am so happy to have achieved what i did so i will change my expectations this month!
:confused:This month it is a juggle between do i finish paying the flights or do i change cash so it will be a week by week thing for us :upsidedowhappy with either or both depending on DH's overtime which is a bit lacking at the moment but we are praying it will pick back up.:goodvibes

goal for the monthVSactual money spent
Grocery's $700($228.02)
Flights $2500 left to pay
US cash$2500 ($800)
Fuel $700$30
Miscellaneous $100($38.00)

June 1 $0 not leaving the house so it's a good start:dance3:
June 2 $867.75( :cheer2:$800US cash costing$781.23:cheer2: phone for DH$24.50 $62.02 grocery's)
June 3 $13.5 drinks at bbq tea:sad2:
June 4 $196 ($30 fuel $166 grocery's)
June 5 $0:woohoo:
June 6
June 7
June 8
June 9
June 10
June 11
June 12
June 13
June 14
June 15
June 16
June 17
June 18
June 19
June 20
June 21
June 22
June 23
June 24
June 25
June 26
June 27
June 28
June 29
June 30

No buy days 2/12

Yesterday was spendy. I got bug killer granules, a blow up pool and a sprinkler at Target for $44.10. Flowers at Lowes were $2.17. Lunch was $11.35. Groceries for the week were $35.92.

6-4 $93.54 (bug killer, pool, sprinkler, flowers, lunch & groceries)
6-3 $1.10 for tea
6-2 $105 for heat pump repair
6-1 $35.33 + 5.57 (car repair and mcDs)

I should have no problem making this June a No-Buy, as I have absolutly no money left! Lightening struck our TV and we have a $250.00 deductible on our home owners. Later the same night the transmission in my car went out costing $150.00 for towing and another $2000.00 for repair bill. These two events took all of my money that had saved for my 40th Birthday trip for Disney in July!:headache::sick::sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1: I am going to begin to rebuild the funds for possibly a January trip. Have never been so sad!:sad1: Best of luck to everyone this month! I gain hope and inspiration from all of the Successess that you guys post so keep em coming because I need some Cheering UP![/SIZE]

Aw that stinks really bad. I feel for you on the car, mine is approaching the age where it's going to start costing a lot money to fix.

should have no problem making this June a No-Buy, as I have absolutly no money left! Lightening struck our TV and we have a $250.00 deductible on our home owners. Later the same night the transmission in my car went out costing $150.00 for towing and another $2000.00 for repair bill. These two events took all of my money that had saved for my 40th Birthday trip for Disney in July!:headache::sick::sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1: I am going to begin to rebuild the funds for possibly a January trip. Have never been so sad!:sad1: Best of luck to everyone this month! I gain hope and inspiration from all of the Successess that you guys post so keep em coming because I need some Cheering UP!

Hey Everyone! I feel off the No-Buy wagon SEVERAL months ago and I'm really feeling it now. I have a lot of big purchases coming up over the next 10 months, so I really need to do better. I've been watching our spending and we are out of control on food (eating out & groceries), so I'm going to start posting here again to keep myself honest!

My Rules: I count my own and my DH's spending. I shoot for $0, under $5 & under $10 days as often as possible. I count everything that goes out of the house - my own day to day spending, as well as, utilities and automatic payments.

Here's my Status So Far:
June 1: $7.30 => under $10 day :thumbsup2
June 2: $126.26 Groceries
June 3: $3.06 => under $5 day :thumbsup2
June 4: $52.53 Household
June 5: $36.35 Groceries
June 6
June 7
June 8
June 9
June 10
June 11
June 12
June 13
June 14
June 15
June 16
June 17
June 18

$0 Days = -/4
<$5 Days = 1/5
<$10 Days = 1/9

meals out: 0/5
current no dinner out streak: 2

Then there is the issue of the eating out. Everybody wants to eat out at the end of the school year for people who are leaving as well as just end of the year celebrations. It is a strain. Fortunately (or not?) I was actually not invited to at least 3 of the going away parties (I didn't know the people well....my school has a large staff).

I totally agree about the problems with eating out more over the summer. Both to celebrate the end of school, but with all the other things that go on during summer. I know we ate out too much last month.

:thumbsup2 11 nights is FANTASTIC! This kind of goal would really help me out. We spend way too much on food a month and part of that is eating out.

Lightening struck our TV and we have a $250.00 deductible on our home owners. Later the same night the transmission in my car went out costing $150.00 for towing and another $2000.00 for repair bill. These two events took all of my money that had saved for my 40th Birthday trip for Disney in July!:headache::sick::sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1: I am going to begin to rebuild the funds for possibly a January trip. Have never been so sad!:sad1:

OH NO! That totally sucks! :grouphug: I know it doesn't make it all better, but to help cheer you up, January is a FANTASTIC time to go to Disney. It's way less crowded and hot than July - and you can always celebrate your Un-Birthday!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter