June or July?

Amy11401

DIS Veteran
We plan on going back to Disney World in June or July 2021. If we go in June it will be towards the end of June because DH and I are both teachers....if we go in July our dates are more open. Is there really a better month to go? Is weather slightly better in one verses the other? What about crowds/tour groups? The last time we went was in October 2018....there ended up being record heat and the days we were there it was in the upper 90's with feels like temperatures over 100. Thanks!

Others can comment but outside of the 4th it is probably all very similar.

I will say LATE July has a better chance at the 50th anniversary having started but no one has a clue yet.

Can you book and hold both late July and another time? Then decide later and cancel the reservation you won't use?

Between June and July, there really isn't much difference in weather or crowds. As you already know, schools aren't in session, thus crowds. Weather wise you can expect hot and humid, (feels like 100 temperatures normal). An afternoon shower can be expected.

Just plan accordingly. Pack ponchos, cooling towels and misting fans.

Skip the poncho and go with an umbrella. I made this switch and it is way more convenient and cooler. I have been in July a bunch and yes it is hot but after the 4th passes the crowds thin out some. I cannot speak to June, we usually avoid June.

The crowds have been the lightest in the summers for a bit now, except for days like the 4th of July. Conventional wisdom used to be that summers were packed; I've been the past 3 or so Summers, as well as at other times of year, and the crowds were lighter in the summers for sure. I like my first morning being July 5th, as long as the 5th is a weekday, so this year, the 6th may be better, but the morning of the 5th would still be great. The tour groups started coming right at the end of our vacation in July, so that recommend (when to go to avoid them) would depend on where you are staying (they impact the values more than anywhere else IMO).

We went the last week of July the last two years running. It rained Every Single Day, which I expected, but grew tired of quickly. Won’t be doing that again. If June is any less wet, I’d suggest June.
People are saying on these boards that summer is less busy than fall now, so that is something.
At least you get to plan a Disney trip!

The crowds have been the lightest in the summers for a bit now, except for days like the 4th of July. Conventional wisdom used to be that summers were packed; I've been the past 3 or so Summers, as well as at other times of year, and the crowds were lighter in the summers for sure. I like my first morning being July 5th, as long as the 5th is a weekday, so this year, the 6th may be better, but the morning of the 5th would still be great. The tour groups started coming right at the end of our vacation in July, so that recommend (when to go to avoid them) would depend on where you are staying (they impact the values more than anywhere else IMO).
So did you leave around mid July? We are most likely staying at a moderate resort.

We went the last week of July the last two years running. It rained Every Single Day, which I expected, but grew tired of quickly. Won’t be doing that again. If June is any less wet, I’d suggest June.
People are saying on these boards that summer is less busy than fall now, so that is something.
At least you get to plan a Disney trip!
That is going to he one difference for us from what we had last time we went....when we went in October it was super hot but we had barely any rain.

This time we may not have much of a choice. Well unfortunately at this point DS is in school and we don't want to pull him out of school. Also trying to avaid writing a weeks worth of sub plans again (since DH and I are both teachers). Last time we went in mid October hoping to avoid the extreme heat but got the extreme heat anyway and we survived! So we figure if we survived before and still had a good time we could live with those temperatures again. If I coild chose anytime though....I would not choose summer.

So did you leave around mid July? We are most likely staying at a moderate resort.

I think it was around the 9th of July when they first showed up, and I only think I noticed them right then because I was at Pop.

As for the weather, for what it's worth; I'm from the Midwest and the temps in Disney matched the temps at home in July. This summer I went in August and just got back from an October trip right before Halloween; it was hotter in October than in August. And, one July we had short showers every afternoon, the next July it didn't rain at all.

I think it was around the 9th of July when they first showed up, and I only think I noticed them right then because I was at Pop.

As for the weather, for what it's worth; I'm from the Midwest and the temps in Disney matched the temps at home in July. This summer I went in August and just got back from an October trip right before Halloween; it was hotter in October than in August. And, one July we had short showers every afternoon, the next July it didn't rain at all.
Based on our experience and your experience I feel like unless you are going in the winter just expect really hot weather....and be pleasantly surprised if it is not...it is what it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter