June Trip - What would you do

WDWRook

DIS Veteran
Hello all,

We have a trip planned for June 16-23rd. Our trip is with a bit of 2018 banked points, all of 2019 points and a bit of 2020 points. Sept 1st Use Year. I know we can cancel before April 30th and our 2019 and 2020 points can be moved to 2020 and we will lose a small amount of old points from 2018. We would like to go on the trip, but obviously no one knows if the parks will be open in June or not or if our work will allow us to travel in June yet. If we wait past April 30 and then they announce parks are not open we won't be able to book our 2019 points and I doubt we will be able to use them before Sept 1st.

On top of that, our Fastpass date is this Thursday, but we have not purchased park tickets yet as we don't know what is happening and thus we won't be able to book FP+. My guess is main attractions will still have FP+ gone quickly even for this June.

What would you do or what options do you think we have that I may not be thinking about?

I am kinda in same boat. We have June and Aug UY. Had a May trip booked that we moved to June 20-27. We make FP on 4/20ish. I have to buy ticketing for 3 of us (adults) before making FP. I would just wait but I do want to get FoP FP and so I was thinking of getting 1 day non-hopper tix...also wouldn't mind the new Runaway Railway FP so then I might buy 2 day non-hoppers. Book HS and AK FP and then if trip happens I can upgrade tix.

But then what if only MK is open? That is the one park we don't even want to go into (it is DH and I and our twin 21 year old DDs so we don't do much MK these days).

I feel like WDW could open June 1. But might be limited to just MK. Might be a slow opening of things throughout the summer. Might not even open anything until August. I am not sure.

My points...my June are 2020 points (when booked in May they were borrowed and they unborrowed them and moved me to June). My Aug points...44 were transferred to June UY and then banked and will be gone on July 31. There are some regular too. And a few others that are also banked. I think, not sure, I will lose about 50ish points. But then I will have like 212 to use by May 31, 2021 or July 31, 2021....past banking window. We already have a Jan trip booked. We have an Oct cruise and an April 2021 cruise. Would really like to get out of Oct cruise but it's paid in full on some non-refund sale. Waiting to see if Carnival will allow cancels with refund for Oct...right now they are through June I believe. Maybe May. Then I could book off season at Hilton Head DVC. I could maybe try to add to Jan trip, maybe upgrade to a 2BR or add some nights. But I have heard that Jan is slim pickings already.

I wish we could get some idea of what will happen. I know that is asking the to have a crystal ball so I guess we just wait and let it all play out. I think, at this point, I will buy 1 day ticketing and book AK FP on the 20th or 21st (whatever day is my 60 day window).

You are currently in a very tough spot,.,the same one Aug UY faced last month,

I do think they will be open in June, even if it is resort only. But, if you wait and hope for a solution, and one doesn’t come, you will be risking those 2019 points.

Here is one option that is still a risk, but might give you a chance to do both,

If, by the end of the month, you want to keep it, you could make a dummy reservation using some borrowed points....similar to the amount of 2019 you have, Cancel that, and then modify your current reservation without changing anything so it picks up those borrowed points and puts your 2019 points into your account to bank,

Right now, they are putting those back. While that can change at anytime, it does give you a little better chance to do both,

Obviously, the way to save the most points is to cancel, But, you have a few weeks and I do think by end of month we will have a much better idea about a June openings.

I canceled our June trip. 6/23-7/1 BLT 2 BR. I have until Jan 31 to bank my 2020 points so, no problem.

If it were me I would cancel.

I have a may trip planned (cash at beach club) that is obviously getting cancelled. I saw Beach Club rooms in June for even a few dollars less than the really good price I got for may. I could have moved my trip (and since it was cash I have the normal 4 day cancellation policy) - the only semi-risk was the 80$ round trip on Delta airfare.

I was not willing to book it and there was virtually no risk - perhaps the 80 bucks in airfare - with your risk, I would cancel.

Frankly, if everything is open, i bet you can get a DVC room days in advance - I can not see the resorts being 100% full (even if they only open 2) - but that is just a guess.

Our trip is June 9-17. We only lose 9 2018-19 points and we have until May 31 to bank the 19-20 UY. We are are just going to wait until the very last minute to make the decision about the trip and what we want to do about our APs.

Thanks for the responses.

Our 2018 points is only 36. Not the end of the world if we lose them, and we travel a bit for dance and baseball so we might be able to use them via the RCI system. We only have 60 points total. We keep discussion buying new points but couldn't decide where, then got hooked on DCL for the last couple of years.

What do you think the likelihood of getting top FP+, like star wars land and FOP if we don't book them the first day? Normally, the chance is pretty much zero, but it's an uncertain time.

We didn't book airfare yet, but it's cheap on Spirit and not terrible on Delta.

Unless something drastically changes over the next two to three weeks, I do not see parks opening in June. I think they will open DS and the resorts in June. Then they will start rolling out resorts slowly.

Same here....June reservation using September 18, 19 and 20 points. I just have a feeling no matter what, those Sept 2018 banked 106 points are toast!

Thanks for the responses.

Our 2018 points is only 36. Not the end of the world if we lose them, and we travel a bit for dance and baseball so we might be able to use them via the RCI system. We only have 60 points total. We keep discussion buying new points but couldn't decide where, then got hooked on DCL for the last couple of years.

What do you think the likelihood of getting top FP+, like star wars land and FOP if we don't book them the first day? Normally, the chance is pretty much zero, but it's an uncertain time.

We didn't book airfare yet, but it's cheap on Spirit and not terrible on Delta.

I just booked June fastpasses 60 days out for a 6 day trip and there was quite limited availabilty with only good FP on the latest two days of our trip, but we had APs so no extra risk like buying tickets.

I'm in a similar boat with a June reservation. I have a few 2018 points that I will lose and I have until April 30th to bank the 2019 points. I've decided to wait until April 29th to see if we get any more information but if nothing has changed by then I will cancel and bank the 2019 points. I already lost some 2019 points in an April reservation that had June UY so I had no chance to cancel and bank.... that stung and made me feel pretty "un-magical" towards DVC so I'm not looking to repeat the experience.

As for FP, I think you will still see the popular ones book early even in these uncertain times.

Cancel. There will be other trips, especially if you can bank/save points. How much fun can you have under the stress of sickness, everyone in masks, limited food/rides, no characters, spacing rules, etc. Maybe if you are comfortable driving distance, but why risk the points. As we’ve learned over the past month, this isn’t going to be all wrapped up come June.

Our trip is June 20-27, using 200 points banked from UY 2018 (December UY) and another 127 points from 2019. I've been holding off purchasing park tickets for the four of us in case there is an announcement, but I may be doing the same as lovin'fl and just buy tickets with enough days to make the FP+ that we really want and upgrade if the trip happens. I'd hate to lose those 200 points from UY 2018.

Our trip is June 20-27, using 200 points banked from UY 2018 (December UY) and another 127 points from 2019. I've been holding off purchasing park tickets for the four of us in case there is an announcement, but I may be doing the same as lovin'fl and just buy tickets with enough days to make the FP+ that we really want and upgrade if the trip happens. I'd hate to lose those 200 points from UY 2018.
Where are you staying?
I think I will just buy 1 day tix and make AK FP. PAst 2 trips we did all the Star Wars stuff and don't need to do that again and can wait to ride Mickey's runaway railway. So I'll just buy 1 day and book FoP at the end of the week.

Even if (and it’s a big if) all the parks and resorts open on 6/1 which iMHO is extremely doubtful would you feel comfortable going??

We had a trip booked 6/28-7/3 and we postponed it until Jan

Where are you staying?
I think I will just buy 1 day tix and make AK FP. PAst 2 trips we did all the Star Wars stuff and don't need to do that again and can wait to ride Mickey's runaway railway. So I'll just buy 1 day and book FoP at the end of the week.

Riviera in a 1BR. Our last trip was pre-Galaxy’s Edge so I want to be able to at least get some HS FPs if the trip is a go!

Riviera in a 1BR. Our last trip was pre-Galaxy’s Edge so I want to be able to at least get some HS FPs if the trip is a go!
We're at SSR prefer view (hoping for renovated room). I have AKV club and RR studios waitlisted. I had Poly waitlisted but then figured we'd do HS and AK so no need to be near MK. Now I could prob drop RR waitlist though wouldn't mind trying it.

I am debating cancelling. I think they might not open or if they do open in June they won't have everything open. DH says to just hold tight for a bit longer. We do have friends going the same week and if we change then it will just be us. More fun with friends.

Here is one option that is still a risk, but might give you a chance to do both,

If, by the end of the month, you want to keep it, you could make a dummy reservation using some borrowed points....similar to the amount of 2019 you have, Cancel that, and then modify your current reservation without changing anything so it picks up those borrowed points and puts your 2019 points into your account to bank,

Whoa, that's helpful info. I'm aware of the pecking order the system uses for points. So the system will pickup those borrowed points using modify tool? Or do you mean calling MS to modify and basically "reallocate"?

Do you know of a thread that outlines this? I've been searching for a bit. Thanks!

Whoa, that's helpful info. I'm aware of the pecking order the system uses for points. So the system will pickup those borrowed points using modify tool? Or do you mean calling MS to modify and basically "reallocate"?

Do you know of a thread that outlines this? I've been searching for a bit. Thanks!

You just go through the modify process online once you have borrowed points and don’t change a thing and once you hit the confirm button it picks up the borrowed points.

Of course, the risk is the policy changes for borrowed points, but we know at this point it’s a hard no on late banking so if nothing new is announced, it’s something to consider!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter