• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Juneau port

Claireywalsh

Mouseketeer
Hi all - we are on the 26.8 sailing to Alaska and we have a split day for Juneau where we are only in port until 1pm. As we are limited for time i don’t want to commit to a costly port adventure if we can explore a bit of the town by ourselves. We have visited before and done mendenhall and dog sled etc so wouldn’t mind just exploring town. Does anyone know if there is a bus from the port we can catch or if it’s walkable from the ship? We were bussed to excursions last time so I didn’t take much notice of the port when we got off the ship. TIA

It's a loong walk. I remember there are bus routes nearby but not the eschedule. We rented a car from Juneau rentals (pickup right there on the AJ dock) for less than $100. Parking was easy and it afforded us flexibility without wearing us out.

Yes walkable, but a long walk. DCL had a free bus to town when we were there.

Maybe do the team for an activity? If the weather is clear, the views are awesome.

We did the tram but the raptor center and restaurant weren't open and the views weren't great because of clouds so it was a bit of a letdown and not worth the money IMO. You could do a whale watching excursion. We got back from ours at 12:30, which is a bit tight, but maybe there are others that get you back sooner. I also think the PP advice to rent a car is good if you think you might want to explore beyond what is walking distance to the ship. I skipped a couple of shops because I just didn't want to schlep there with my toddler.

Are there taxis available at the port in the morning?

I have what must be the strangest "excursion" ever planned for a cruise...I am going to Costco in Juneau. :crazy: I live in Korea but have my Costco membership rebate check to redeem. Since that has to be done in a US Costco, Juneau it is. Crazy - but then this short "excursion" will pay for all the other excursions we have planned. :D I just need to hit Costco when they open at 10;00, cash my rebate check, and get back to the port by noon.

I have what must be the strangest "excursion" ever planned for a cruise...I am going to Costco in Juneau. :crazy: I live in Korea but have my Costco membership rebate check to redeem. Since that has to be done in a US Costco, Juneau it is. Crazy - but then this short "excursion" will pay for all the other excursions we have planned. :D I just need to hit Costco when they open at 10;00, cash my rebate check, and get back to the port by noon.

I love this excursion! We enjoy visiting Costco in other cities, and when we were at Aulani a few years ago, we picked up souvenirs and Hawaiian shirts at the Costco there.

I don't recall seeing any taxis, but we were focused on getting the rental so I may've missed them

I don't recall seeing taxis right at the port, but if you take the shuttle from the dock to the area by the tramway, you should be able to get one there. It's only a few minutes away from the dock. Tour vendors are set up in that area, so if all else fails, you can ask them to help you get a taxi.

I took a taxi from the port to the Avis car rental office in 2014. As I recall, I had no trouble getting it. I walked back to port after dropping off the car at the end of the day.

How long is a long walk? 10 mins? 15? 20? Can the free shuttle from ship to town take wheelchairs? Is it an open air tram or like a bus?

I just got back from an Alaskan Cruise on RCCL. We had a stop in Juneau and I’m a little confused on what I’m reading in this thread.. we were on the Ovation of the Seas which I was told was the largest ship to dock at that port and the walk to the town was about 2 minutes. Now there is a larger (locals) part of town where a Costco is and such but I doubt you are talking about going there? The way this thread is sounding seems more like Skagway, where the dock is at least a 20 minute walk to the town. Juneau was a joke compared that. The Celebrity Solstice was there also and was right behind our ship so their walk was short as well. I guess it just depends on which dock you get that day, maybe they just keep the bigger ships closer to the port, who knows!

Disney usually uses the AJ dock in Juneau, so not right in town.
0176C50A-3895-4808-9A78-BACE327012FC.jpeg

I was interested to hear about people wanting to visit Costco while in Juneau. I have a good friend who lives in Sitka. She and a group of friends take turns coming over once a month on the ferry in a big SUV to stock up at Costco.

I believe that there were taxis at the port but you could always look up a taxi company in Juneau and pre-book one at a specific time to help save you time.

We were at the AJ dock on our recent cruise. There were two other cruise ships in port that were definitely docked a lot closer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter