Jungle Cruise Ride updated?

Haven't seen much from WDW version with the changes, but there was a video posted yesterday from DL updated version. The changes looked good.

WDW seems to be mid-change right now. I've seen a few videos where something was removed, one new thing was added, the something else was removed, another thing added, etc. They seem to be working on it bit by bit.

WDW seems to be mid-change right now. I've seen a few videos where something was removed, one new thing was added, the something else was removed, another thing added, etc. They seem to be working on it bit by bit.
That's what I 've seen as well. Saw they were adding the crashed ship, updated the rhino pole, added Trader Sams trading post which looked interesting.
Looking forward to seeing it when its finished.

Jungle Cruise is one of my favorite attractions…
This is one update that is overdue and it does seem to be an improvement and interesting twist to the adventure story.
DVC Files Magazine featured an updated article with more information about the new movie starring Dwayne Johnson and details about the attraction. I am planning to visit the MK later today. Hope the line is not too long to check out the progress… Also can hardly wait for the holiday season Jingle Cruise! And I have pre- purchasedTheatre tickets at Disney Springs AMC opening day for the new movie.

I have learned , I am usually wrong with my criticism for change. I miss the old versions always. But old & new memories created by a Disney Imagineer willl always remain for my lifetime with a happy heart.
Thank you Disney

I rode it 4/10 & 6/6. Saw changes happening both times in different parts. It was still in progress the last time I rode it so I assume more was coming.

Some the skipper pointed out & others they didn't (probably based if the ride dialogue has been changed for it yet).

"Silly PC Reasons" = "It is denigrating to people other than those like myself so what's the big deal . . ."

Tribal dancers, a group of spear-throwing tribespeople that "attack" the boat, Trader Sam the headhunter, along with the hippos, rhinos, and snakes all represented the dangers that one might encounter on a jungle boat ride through darkest Africa and Asia. When the ride was created do you think Disney made up those depictions or historically do you think those were real things that actually happened to people years ago and Disney chose to mimic them through caricature?

Disney is a woke organization. I have no choice but to accept that. But I'm going to call a spade a spade, not a gardening tool, when changes are made for these reasons. There is still a Trader Sam restaurant in DL hotel where they have no problem selling you an $18 cheeseburger. “Mystery, romance and adventure await you at this bewitching tiki bar inspired by the world-famous Jungle Cruise.” But lo’ and behold it’s verboten for us to actually look upon the fictional character who the restaurant is named after. This will never stop because of things that people find “denigrating.” Many, many of us adore the age-old things Disney is known for and we don’t get easily offended when satirized.

Last edited:
Tribal dancers, a group of spear-throwing tribespeople that "attack" the boat, Trader Sam the headhunter, along with the hippos, rhinos, and snakes all represented the dangers that one might encounter on a jungle boat ride through darkest Africa and Asia. When the ride was created do you think Disney made up those depictions or historically do you think those were real things that actually happened to people years ago and Disney chose to mimic them through caricature?

These "depictions" were never accurate and are based on 19th century racist caricatures used by Europe to justify colonialism. Hollywood compounded the situation with decades of jungle films. It's not any different that the wild stereotypes and generalizations used to portray Native Amercians in film and television into the '60s. At the time, no one bothered to ask an anthropologist. That people don't recognize that these are caricatures, or even took time to think about it, just shows how media has deeply ingrained these racial stereotypes are in society. People just assume they are true because it's the way it's always been shown.

I have learned , I am usually wrong with my criticism for change. I miss the old versions always. But old & new memories created by a Disney Imagineer willl always remain for my lifetime with a happy heart.

That's kind of the neat thing with this type of update for Jungle Cruise, there's still the strong thread of the old but it introduces a space for some new jokes and themes that the skippers can work off of. Like the seasonal re-theme for Jingle Cruise, it still contains the classics but mixes in material that is new... new...ish, getting less new...ish each holiday season. It's kind of the perfect ride NOT to remain static, but rather finding new lines that build on added items or on the shared knowledge and expectations from the history of the ride. Even with the changes there's still room for "the 8th Wonder of the World! The backside of water!" ("I don't get it...", "I think, the humour comes from them overplaying something that isn't that spectacular as being very spectacular... sort of a P.T. Barnum or Albert Falls moment... maybe..." "Best to laugh along.")

These "depictions" were never accurate and are based on 19th century racist caricatures used by Europe to justify colonialism. Hollywood compounded the situation with decades of jungle films. It's not any different that the wild stereotypes and generalizations used to portray Native Amercians in film and television into the '60s. At the time, no one bothered to ask an anthropologist. That people don't recognize that these are caricatures, or even took time to think about it, just shows how media has deeply ingrained these racial stereotypes are in society. People just assume they are true because it's the way it's always been shown.
Headhunters were a real thing and territorial African tribes were and are still a real thing. And the depiction in JC is probably not that far off considering it likely intended to depict the early 1900's when Africa was still untamed and mysterious. Colonialism was real. Most of the indigenous fought the aggressor and others try to prosper. Trader Sam is a lampoon in that regard, wearing a top hat from one of the heads he has shrunken and making trades for trinkets. It's a goof meant to entertain people. Do you have to take the air out of everything that's fun?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter