• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jury duty....but living and working out of state

This thread is particularly relevant for me because I have jury duty tomorrow. Interestingly, best I can figure the perp is charged with one of three crimes (about all that goes on around here) - domestic violence/child abuse, DUI, or drug possession/manufacturing. I've had family members victimized by DUI and child abuse, so when they ask about that and I answer positively, I'm sure I'll be removed. If they ask me about my thoughts on drug laws, I'll probably be excused from the jury right away.

My daughter is living and working three jobs in her college town over the summer. She just got a notice for jury duty and we are wondering if her living and working conditions warrant an exemption. She did message the courts about her situation but they wanted to have proof of her school schedule, but she's not taking any classes over the summer.

And for the record, we are not opposed to jury duty - I actually got a notice for the same day and will be serving.

Thanks for any information!

Can't she just ask for a deferment to another date? In my state you can choose a date to delay it for up to 11 months.

Can't she just ask for a deferment to another date? In my state you can choose a date to delay it for up to 11 months.

I'm guessing she will still be out of town over that time because the school year would have started.

Last edited:

She just sent in the notice with a request for referral. I think that when she filled out the juror survey online, she may have requested an exemption instead, which was refused but they asked her to send in her school schedule (but she isn't taking classes this summer). She is working on gathering her work stubs to send them too.

Thanks for all of the help!

I think it might depend on the judge or the state? Is her address her permanent address? And is she a resident of that state? Where I live, if you are here for 6 months continuously you are a resident, and that is usually a good reason not to show up for jusry duty in another state. I'd say write it on the jury summons in the space they give to write reasons, and send it in and see what happens. Or if you are worried, you can always call the courthouse and explain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter