Jury Duty

I was called early in Covid. I wasn't thrilled that everywhere I turned I was being told it was dangerous to be in an enclosed area with others for an extended period of time. I was relieved to find out they would allow me to postpone for 6 months. Had to do that twice before I was finally comfortable with the idea. Thankfully they ended up not needing me.

It's a pretty big deal to me since I'm self employed and if I'm not working, I'm not earning a living.

Well, you would have to be in the courtroom to hear it, or look up the transcript of the court action, so yes.
From @fla4fun 's original post

Then we get called into a courtroom and we each had to stand and give our full name and address . . . with defendants in the courtroom who were on trial for kidnapping across state lines and battery on the victim.

I received a notice for jury duty a couple of years ago. It was just as things were starting up again after lockdowns. I’m in my seventies, was barely leaving the house and trying not to get Covid. I’m on lots of medications, including BP meds and a diuretic and would have found it difficult to not be near a bathroom. (I know, TMI). I got a printout of my medications and I wrote a letter, included the printout and asked to be excused on medical grounds, and it was granted. My daughter served on a jury years ago, for a serious trial, and it was weeks. She brought her young children over every day for us to look after. (Same city as Prairie Girl).
Is being over 70 not enough to get out of it? It is in MA.

You realize that is all public information?
I don't believe it should be public information. Just like I don't care what the defendants name is because it does not matter to the case or the outcome. I should be deciding on the facts. My name, address, my children's names ... have nothing to do with the case and should not be public.

I don't believe it should be public information. Just like I don't care what the defendants name is because it does not matter to the case or the outcome. I should be deciding on the facts. My name, address, my children's names ... have nothing to do with the case and should not be public.
Depending on the case your address, your children's school, your, your spouse and children's professions, etc could matter.

Is being over 70 not enough to get out of it? It is in MA.
Maybe, maybe not in CA. Just being over 70 isn't enough, you have to have other reasons.

California has a statutory exemption that allows individuals over a certain age to request exemption from jury duty. A juror over the age of 70, may be excused from duty due to physical or mental reasons.

Most counties require medical note from physician for deferral or postponement.

Depending on the case your address, your children's school, your, your spouse and children's professions, etc could matter.
And depending on the case giving out that information could put my family in jeopardy. Like I live in a place where there are some HUGE cases coming up this year where witness intimidation is already happening. Jury tampering is on the horizon.

I’ve been called twice, first time I was there all day in a courtroom for jury selection for a murder trial. I knew the cop who would be testifying so I was ultimately dismissed but not until 6pm at night as no one was dismissed until the end of the day. The second one was also for a murder trial but it was going to be very long and it was a screening if you could even serve on it. They had you raise your had if you were available for the trial dates and if so come back the following week to be up for formal jury selection. I was out and done by 10:30 am that time. We have our own business serving on a jury for a long trial would be crippling financially.

For those who were screened, but dismissed for whatever reason - were you done after that and didn't have to call or show up again during that time period?

That sounds crazy to me. In my state you're given a day to come in. You can reschedule if it doesn't work for you. As long as you go in, that counts as your service for 3 years (if you're chosen for a jury you need to serve as long as it lasts).
I was called this year and rescheduled to the last day before Thanksgiving break. They didn't need anyone that day and canceled the night before, so I didn't have to go in. But that doesn't count as serving, so I can be called again within three years.
That is how it is where I am you call in the night before and if your number is called and you go in even if there are no cases or you are not selected to serve on a jury you are good for 3 years. If your number is not called or court is cancelled due to weather you can get selected for jury duty again anytime. My DM recently got a summons but she is over 70 and put in for the permanent exemption which got approved.

I got my first notice when I was 19 and ended up on a week long murder trial. For a while I would get it like clockwork every 3 years. One time they did 2 years by mistake and I called and was removed. Sometimes I have gone in and there were no cases or I was not selected and other times court was cancelled due to weather or my number was not called. With my luck I will probably get one now that I am starting a new job. My DH and DM have only gotten one maybe 3 times over the years.

Last edited:
For those who were screened, but dismissed for whatever reason - were you done after that and didn't have to call or show up again during that time period?
If you are called and show but don't serve on the jury you are excused for a year. If you serve on a jury you are excused for 2 years.

We are in the suburbs of NYC and if we get called for Jury Duty for the City it is for quite a long time as OP said. It is also a PITA to get there so if we get called for the City we usually contact our County and volunteer for jury duty there instead. Usually we get our county notice and once that is served we are out of the pool for 3 years.

I probably didn't word it well - if you have to call in for multiple days/weeks and you have to show and you get rejected as a juror do you still have to call in for that period? I would love to serve/get rejected day 1 and not have to call for two months lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter