• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jussie Smollett trial

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
Since we're discussing various trials, what do you think of the Jussie Smollett trial?

In January 2019, this famous actor filed a police report claiming that he was the victim of a hate crime -- specifically, that he was attacked by men who spouted hate as they beat him. There was skepticism about his claims right from the start, and police believed the entire event to be false. Smollett was charged with a felony for making an untruthful claim of victimization. The trial began this week, and mercifully is only expected to take one week.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loc...cution-focuses-on-how-hoax-unraveled/2697097/

I think it is a waste of time in the news and a waste of space in the newspapers. Who cares? I'm locaql and never heard of the guy before this.
Famous? Never heard of the guy before he was an *** back in 2019.
I'd never heard of him either before the incident, but it's kind of fitting that his publicity stunt got switched around on him. But I guess he's okay with it as long as we spell his name right.

What I find interesting about this case is that TMZ broke the story & many details just hours after the "attack".

The defense says the two guys from Nigeria attacked him because they don't like him. they have put forth a lot of evidence regarding what his motivation would be to arrange a hoax attack. The testimony alleged that Jussie was not happy with the way the production co. for his show handled hate mail he had received. I guess they are saying he was trying to prove that he COULD have been attacked.

Shows you how much I paid attention to this clown. Until rereading here, I thought his name was Jessie, had no idea it is Jussie. Not that I care either way. :laughing:
You're not alone -- maybe not in good company, but not alone. I thought he name was Jossie!

I think he should be punished publicly and harshly (inside sentencing guidelines of course). Any false police report makes it harder for police to subsequently investigate future crimes. The next time a hate crime as described by him occurs for real people will remember this.

He needs to be an example.

I had pretty much forgotten about him.

Soon after that whole fiasco went down, his name briefly entered the jargon and urban dictionary as a synonym for hoax.

he's being criminally charged with making a false crime report. He might pay a fine or maybe get probation. Not sure how he thought staging a racist/homophobic attack was a good idea. His defense continues to insist he did nothing and the two guys he knew attacked him because they wanted to.

Assuming you can get a jury to convict it will be tossed on appeal. It isn't a legal trial. The DA Foxx already dropped charges and Smollett paid a fine and completed community service. I think the guy is a POS but the government doesn't get two bites at the apple.

Assuming you can get a jury to convict it will be tossed on appeal. It isn't a legal trial. The DA Foxx already dropped charges and Smollett paid a fine and completed community service. I think the guy is a POS but the government doesn't get two bites at the apple.
Isn't this federal, so yes they can?

I think he should be punished publicly and harshly (inside sentencing guidelines of course). Any false police report makes it harder for police to subsequently investigate future crimes. The next time a hate crime as described by him occurs for real people will remember this.

He needs to be an example.
Reading this thread reminded me of that horrible woman dog walker in Central Park that made the false accusations about the guy who tried to talk to her, a year or so ago. Whatever happened there? Was she charged with the same type of offence? (Sorry I cant google it because I’m blanking on the names.)

The DA dropped the charges, he was never put in jeopardy so he can't be put in double jeopardy. That DA Foxx should be disbarred for doing so is whole other conversation, but not surprising in Illinois and specifically in Crook County.

Reading this thread reminded me of that horrible woman dog walker in Central Park that made the false accusations about the guy who tried to talk to her, a year or so ago. Whatever happened there? Was she charged with the same type of offence? (Sorry I cant google it because I’m blanking on the names.)

Central Park Karen. Amy Cooper. Charges were dropped and she was made to attend 5 counseling sessions I believe.

Before I get flamed — let me preface I am not condoning her actions. It all started as she wasn’t following the rules with leashing her dog. However, look into the story and you will learn more than just that snippet of video.

There is more to the story as it is usually the case. Just like the Covington Catholic story, media hasn’t learned to show entire context.

Again, I’m not condoning. But these stories have taught me to dig deeper.

You're not alone -- maybe not in good company, but not alone. I thought he name was Jossie!

Have you seen Dave Chappelle’s bit on him? Hysterical.

Anyway, haven’t heard much about the trial on the news. But from what little I’ve read his attorneys are trying every Hail Mary to save him. Not buying it. He created this for more reasons than I can say on here without getting points.

I am just angry that in our current climate with enough horrible real incidents happening that someone would concoct this mess to fuel the fire. 😡

My guess is he will likely get probation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter