Just a Pinch.. Post for the women here

My son was big, he was my first baby and I tore badly with him. Lots of stitches, took 2 doctors to stitch me up afterward, they kept taking turns. Anyway, there was a lot of pain after and they said it was normal for that degree of tear and it would go away. At my 6 week follow up appointment I tried to describe the horrible pain and the doctor said it sounded like nerve pain, sometimes that happens when women tear like that, it will go away. A month later I'm back in his office crying trying to describe the pain, just shooting pain all the time, felt like I was on fire. Again it was dismissed, he told me that my only option was a nerve block but that he didn't recommend doing it. Walked out of there in pain and too scared to go back. It's so sad that women's pain gets ignored or dismissed. The nerve pain did eventually fade but it took a year. Imagine a doctor telling a man that he had to endure nerve pain in his privates for months on end with no offer of treatment or pain relief and unsure when or if the pain would ever go away!

Like most women I've endured many painful gyne procedures in office with little or no pain relief. Biopsies of internal and external things; had part of my cervix cut off; had an ablation. I think they do know it's painful because I had one male gyne look at me in amazement after he cut a growth from the scar tissue on my perineal tear and asked me, "can't you feel that?". When I replied that I could but it wouldn't do much good to scream and cry about it he called me, "stoic". It's not stoicism, it's the product of decades of having pain dismissed by doctors! What's the point in us shouting about it, no one cares! I also have fibrocystic breast disease and the flares are extremely painful but of course there's no treatment and no offer of pain meds, nor for my ovarian cysts or endometriosis--the answer is always that there's nothing they can do, and they tell you to pop a couple ibuprofen and go about your day.

This is timely because I was just reading about lack of pain management for uterine biopsies in my hormones group. Many, many women shared the same experience. It hurt like hell! That being said.....what would an appropriate pain management plan be for a uterine biopsy? Twilight sedation? Valium? I'm not ruling out having one in the future and I want to be prepared. I have gone through enough painful procedures in my life that I have no tolerance for them now...lol.
Please take everything with a grain of salt. In my early 40s I got a blood clot and had to immediately stop the pill. I was crying at the idea of an IUD as I never had children and heard it would be an awful insertion.
Nope. No pain, super quick and I went right back to work. Had 2 iUDs inserted and removed and never needed a Tylenol. I had Mirena and loved having no periods.
Find a doctor who does a lot of insertions.

I remember when I had my IUD inserted (prior to my hysterectomy) the nurse standing at the head of the table stroking my hair and telling me to breathe as I moaned. It felt like I was in the delivery room...and it sucked.

Please take everything with a grain of salt. In my early 40s I got a blood clot and had to immediately stop the pill. I was crying at the idea of an IUD as I never had children and heard it would be an awful insertion.
Nope. No pain, super quick and I went right back to work. Had 2 iUDs inserted and removed and never needed a Tylenol. I had Mirena and loved having no periods.
Find a doctor who does a lot of insertions.
That was my experience with insertion of the Mirena, also. My GYN is older and very experienced.

Ugh, yesterday my doctor said I have to get off hormone BC pills. Suggested a Paragard IUD which I thought sounded like no big deal until I came here. And then read reviews elsewhere online :scared1: I'm 45 so would likely just need to do it once but IDK what to do.
I had a Paraguard inserted 15+ years ago and don’t remember it being a big deal. If there was any discomfort during or cramping after, it must’ve been mild enough that I’ve completely forgotten it. I don’t think they gave me anything for pain because I know I drove myself home. After nine years, I removed it myself at home and I know for a fact that was completely painless. (I don’t think self-removal is recommended, btw. Don’t be like me. :laughing:)

I’m not some hero when it comes to pain tolerance, either. I’ve had cervical exams that had me crawling the walls, natural childbirth was a mistake I’ll never make again, and Zoom teeth whitening practically left me with PTSD, but the IUD wasn’t an issue going in or coming out. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I had a Paraguard inserted 15+ years ago and don’t remember it being a big deal. If there was any discomfort during or cramping after, it must’ve been mild enough that I’ve completely forgotten it. I don’t think they gave me anything for pain because I know I drove myself home. After nine years, I removed it myself at home and I know for a fact that was completely painless. (I don’t think self-removal is recommended, btw. Don’t be like me. :laughing:)

I’m not some hero when it comes to pain tolerance, either. I’ve had cervical exams that had me crawling the walls, natural childbirth was a mistake I’ll never make again, and Zoom teeth whitening practically left me with PTSD, but the IUD wasn’t an issue going in or coming out. 🤷🏻‍♀️
:laughing: I know this post wasn't intended to be funny but your excellent turn-of-phrase has me chuckling. No disrespect to your suffering intended. :flower3:

Ugh, yesterday my doctor said I have to get off hormone BC pills. Suggested a Paragard IUD which I thought sounded like no big deal until I came here. And then read reviews elsewhere online :scared1: I'm 45 so would likely just need to do it once but IDK what to do.

I have posted in this thread about the pain that I experienced at my most recent removal and insertion of my Merena IUD. Please don't let posts like mine scare you aware from it. My first two were much easier than my current one. This said, the discomfort was short-lived and worth it for the fact that I have no periods. I've basically been period free for almost 11 years and it's so worth it!

I have posted in this thread about the pain that I experienced at my most recent removal and insertion of my Merena IUD. Please don't let posts like mine scare you aware from it. My first two were much easier than my current one. This said, the discomfort was short-lived and worth it for the fact that I have no periods. I've basically been period free for almost 11 years and it's so worth it!
The one she’s getting doesn’t suppress periods. In fact, it can sometimes make them heavier. It’s a great option, though, for someone who needs a long term or hormone-free form of birth control.

Just to clarify, I am not sticking up for anyone, because, as I mentioned on that thread, I’ve been through many of these procedures myself. And now I know enough to take 800mg of Motrin beforehand ;) as well as to bring a hot water bottle with me for the ride home and get a hot coffee or tea, etc.

But when I really noticed the individual differences in tolerance for procedures was when it comes to hysterectomy, ie when I was looking into that issue myself, as in, about to have one. Besides the fact that most hysterectomies are a day procedure now when they used to involve a four day hospital stay, many women said they went back to work within a week after their procedures. Wow. Hmm. Why is it, then, that some take six weeks or more to recover? Well, IME it’s a combination of tolerance and maybe even some misinformation, which comes at both the heels of the medical team (when they don’t provide enough education) and the patient (when they don’t seek out enough information OR don’t pay attention to it).

But basically when it comes to most procedures, every experience is unique. For some, they’re easy, and for some, they’re not. Not very different than pregnancy or even breastfeeding experiences, really.

As others have said, not all hysterectomies are created equal. A coworker had one of those quick recovery situations, but hers was able to be done laparoscopically. Mine was open from belly button to pubic bone with EVERYTHING removed, including my appendix and hours scraping endometrial tissue from bowels, bladder, etc. So they can vary widely depending on the situation.

I’ve had so many procedures, I wouldn’t be able to describe them all. My poor mom had several cervical biopsies. I remember her talking about how bad they hurt. I had an endometrial biopsy. It was painful.

I dealt with endometriosis and infertility for years. The pain from endometriosis can be debilitating. I was told on a scale of 1-4, I was a 3.5. I had 2 laparoscopies which are out patient and was told I would just need one day off work after to recover. What a joke. The recovery was not easy. Anyone ever experience that shoulder pain? Then came all the fertility procedures. My obgyn was compassionate and tried to work with me to ease pain and symptoms, but there really aren’t a lot of options. Unfortunate he is retired.

I have scar tissue that makes paps and pelvic exams very uncomfortable. My doctor one time was concerned that I about came up off the table during his exam. He also sent me for an ultrasound because I have an ovary that is the size of a grapefruit when it should be a kiwi. He was surprised I wasn’t experiencing pain from it. It turned out to just be scare tissue but I appreciated his being proactive. Now that I’m post menopause many of my issues are past, but I was always disheartened by the lack of options for women suffering with endometriosis.

And why can’t they find a better way to screen for breast cancer? I joke that I’m going to go slam my boobs in the door to get ready for my mammograms.

On tiktok there have been a ton of videos lately about the pain women feel during "minor" procedures like IUD insertion and how we are just ignored and told to take some advil. There are hundreds of comments on these videos about how painful IUDs, biopsies etc are and how we are offered ZERO pain management before, during or after. There are comments from Drs talking about how they were taught that the cervix doesn't have nerve endings (um what??) and that none of these things are any more painful than a period. Of course there are women who commented saying it really wasnt that bad, and others who say it was worse than unmedicated child birth (just a shorter duration). Yet if a man gets a vasectomy he gets numbed and real pain meds. I had 2 c sections and got vicoden for 2 days and sent home with advil... Another thread here made me think about this too and how often women are not really given all the information by medical providers that they need to make an informed decision. I know personally I've had it happen 3 times to me with different drs each time. 1 was a dr blowing off my PPD and saying it was just hormones and it would go away. 2 (maybe tmi) pregnancy left me with horrible hemorrhoids which required surgery. I asked the dr many times about the recovery and how painful it would be after reading about it online. She told me it wasn't really that bad, and that people only write about their negative experinces online and its greatly exagerrated. OMG, I'd rather have another csection before Id do that again. and 3, went in to talk about having long periods and the possibility of an ablation. Dr said sure, while your here lets go ahead and get this test done and then we can schedule it. That test was an endometrial biopsy. She said you'll feel a little discomfort. nooooooo.... I had to have DH come get me because I was shaking so bad I couldn't drive home.

Why is this so common??? Thoughts?

I can't speak for the rest but I got no pain meds for mine. Of course they gave me a local anesthetic for the procedure because there was an incision and cauterization but I was told if I was sore ice and take Advil.

I can't speak for the rest but I got no pain meds for mine. Of course they gave me a local anesthetic for the procedure because there was an incision and cauterization but I was told if I was sore ice and take Advil.

With my husband's vasectomy, he got the local shot to numb it and the doctor did give him some kind of prescription for pain meds. Not really sure what it was because he never filled it. My husband said that it was a bit sore for a day or two and after that it was like nothing happened. I got to watch the procedure and it is the tiniest of incisions and the tubes that they cut and clamp are right under the skin. So much easier and less invasive then something like a woman getting her tubes tied.

I know this thread is old, but I have an endometrial biopsy next Tuesday. And I AM getting sedation. I told my female GYN I had a very low tolerance for pain and she said post menopause it might be more difficult and painful and she was fine doing it out-patient.

My question for all of you is how about post procedure coming home. How uncomfortable and for how long and what worked for you to manage any latter discomfort?

I know this thread is old, but I have an endometrial biopsy next Tuesday. And I AM getting sedation. I told my female GYN I had a very low tolerance for pain and she said post menopause it might be more difficult and painful and she was fine doing it out-patient.

My question for all of you is how about post procedure coming home. How uncomfortable and for how long and what worked for you to manage any latter discomfort?
I didn’t realize this was an older thread at first, but looks like I answered your question (for me) back on page 1:

And now I know enough to take 800mg of Motrin beforehand ;) as well as to bring a hot water bottle with me for the ride home and get a hot coffee or tea, etc.
I usually took the motrin as I was arriving for the in-office procedure.

Good luck, I hope you have a good experience.

My mother had an endometrial biopsy in the office at age 93 and barely flinched! It’s so individual!

Oh geez. I’m happy I found this older thread. My GYN is recommending a biopsy (didnt think to ask of what) and Mirena IUD insertion next month. I really really love my doc. I asked about sedation, based on the tik tok videos and he said I would be absolutely fine. Now I’m wondering if I should “pre-game” for the procedures

Oh geez. I’m happy I found this older thread. My GYN is recommending a biopsy (didnt think to ask of what) and Mirena IUD insertion next month. I really really love my doc. I asked about sedation, based on the tik tok videos and he said I would be absolutely fine. Now I’m wondering if I should “pre-game” for the procedures
Perhaps an endometrial biopsy? I had one years ago and they told me to take some ibuprofen. It wasn't enough.

I hate the use of the word “tolerance” if I’m being honest. Like some women are “better” at pain and others are wimps is sort of how I personally feel when a medical provider has used that word with me. It’s like shaming me to say ok, I’ll try harder not to be in excruciating pain. What it makes us do is suffer without saying anything.

I’ve had 2 IUDs. One was just a small pinch. One was excruciating. I also had strings disappear and had a procedure where the Gyn was trying to find the strings inside, and she tried for 15 minutes before almost giving up and even that wasn’t as bad as the IUD placement. I think some providers are better than others. I don’t believe it was my tolerance that made the difference.

Thank you. Based on all my reading stories of women, I am going to insist on something more than ibuprofen
yes. If HE says why... ask him if he would have an "simple procedure" on his junk with just an ibuprofen? If he hassles you, then ask him HOW he knows it doesn't hurt... just how many IUD insertions with cervical biopsies has he had?

I admit I have a bias... I personally want my Ob/Gyns to actually have the 'equipment' that they work on. I just think that fellow 'V' owners are more 'gentle' with that speculum.

I think it is very individual. My daughter (21, no kids) had a very rough time during a recent IUD. First attempt was a no go.... so we 'pre-gamed' on our own for round 2 which helped..... 100% worth it. Being (perhaps needlessly) a little high and def. not feeling pain was just fine by me .... as opposed to 'sober' and potentially hurting.

Last edited:
I wish I had seen this thread when it was first posted. A few months later, I had a hysteroscopy and biopsy of a uterine polyp. The procedure was described as minor and pain wasn't even mentioned. No one told me to bring someone to drive me home, but luckily I brought my husband with me.

I did read that hysteroscopies could be uncomfortable, but nothing I read prepared me for the experience. The procedure was excruciatingly painful. There were no numbing injections or anesthesia used or offered. Immediately afterward, everyone left the room, and I was told to get dressed. As soon as I got up, I felt like I was going to pass out. I sat on the floor for 10 minutes until someone came in, and that was only because they needed to get the room ready for another patient. There was no way I could have driven myself home.

According to the research I did afterward, 30 to 40% of women experience intense pain after hysteroscopies and IUD insertions, while many others experience moderate pain. Post-menopausal women (like me) are more likely to experience severe pain. This information is known, yet women are expected to suffer unnecessarily when pain control options are available.

The experience destroyed the trust between my doctor and me. How can you be an advocate for your patient when you don't provide accurate information about procedures and aren't willing to manage pain during a procedure?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter