Just a thought about reopening...

I also don't understand the people who say WDW is too hot and humid to require masks. Where I live is both hotter and more humid than Orlando. We are currently 93 degrees with a "feels like" temp of 100 degrees. We are the third most humid city in the US, way ahead of Orlando. Yet, our county requires masks, and if you're caught without one, you're sent home.

Because this is the US and I don't think people will stand for it. Color me skeptical. I won't do it and I know a lot of other people that won't either. "But Wilson, then they won't get in the parks." Yeah. We'll see about that when Disney figures out the dollars lost associated with it.
I'm not sure what everyone thinks. But seems like if it's a short-term requirement (maybe 6-18 month?) until we hopefully get on the other side of the virus, it's not going to be a big deal to many people.

I never thought I'd have to wear a mask to get my groceries, but I am. If I need a cloth mask for entry to the Magic Kingdom, then I'll make sure I have a nice one with Mickey and Minnie on it.

I didn't intend for this to be controversial, nor did I suggest it would be a requirement. I have some disney fabric and I just thought it would be fun to design some disney themed masks. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Maybe we won't have to wear masks in the sunny (UV rays), hot and humid climate of FL. Based on study done by USDHS the virus is killed much faster in this type of environment. I know this isn't conclusive but it's hopeful. :wizard:

Still hoping that ends up to be true but Singapore, which has the equivalent of August Florida weather right now, is having a big surge in cases.

Masks, such as surgical or procedural masks, do not protect you from the disease. It protects others from you spreading the disease from you to them. You need to wear a respirator with a tight seal to protect you, especially if you have other medical conditions that make it easier for you to get the disease (and in that case, you'd be better off staying home). So you only need to wear a mask if you are active with the disease. There are so many people who just don't understand the reasoning behind the masks. People are going to be passing out if they have to wear an N95 respirator around the theme parks in hot/humid Florida weather.
This is just a story to deter people from hoarding surgical masks. If surgical masks were useless to protect wearers, they would not be given to nurses in hospitals. The CDC advised healthcare providers that, when N95 masks are not available, surgical masks are a good alternative for taking care of patients unless aerosolized procedures are performed.

I also don't understand the people who say WDW is too hot and humid to require masks. Where I live is both hotter and more humid than Orlando. We are currently 93 degrees with a "feels like" temp of 100 degrees. We are the third most humid city in the US, way ahead of Orlando. Yet, our county requires masks, and if you're caught without one, you're sent home.

I am from Louisiana. It very humid here. FL humidity is awful - but if you drink plenty of water it helps. I see that Houston is #3 on most humid cities and Orlando is 4th.

Our parish is not requiring masks. I just went to Sam's Club yesterday. The store had no wipes for the carts and so i went back to my car and got one. Even before all this, I keep antibacterial wipes and germ-x in my car. We keep these all the time and so we have plenty right now. IF and big IF our WDW trip is still on for May 24 then I will bring a box masks and plenty of antibacterial wipes.

stay safe.

I guess in the end we all have to do what makes us feel safe. We wear our homemade masks and gloves to the grocery store, they won't let you if you don't have a mask. I live in NJ, FYI it's very humid here in the summer!

Still hoping that ends up to be true but Singapore, which has the equivalent of August Florida weather right now, is having a big surge in cases.
Well, I'd have to find the paper, but Singapore is not in a temperate zone (i.e. - it's between the tropics). I was looking at a paper as to why places like Miami, for instance, which is mostly 80's year round has a flu and cold season. Those authors said that seasonality is only in temperate zones (above and below the tropics) and that places in the tropics did not have as much seasonality, but had lower rates of flu and colds, but they were year-round. However, in temperate regions, it was seasonal and their thought was that it was a combination of not only heat and humidity, but also the higher amounts of UV radiation that occur with longer hours of sunlight. So, they thought it was at least a combination of all 3 (and there could be other things).

Now, that study was for the flu and colds, but a number of cold strains are actually caused by Coronaviruses, so I suppose there is hope. However, until we actually see what happens, no one really knows with this strain...

I would think if the situation dictates a requirement to wear a mask, Disney will not be opening. Wearing a real mask that would offer any type of protection in the Florida summer heat 100% of the time, no thanks!!

I think that they actually sell these in the Asian parks already...
Really? It never occured to me. I have a pattern, and disney fabric, but elastic is hard to find these days. My sister had to order 125 metres of the stuff. I hope she's sending me some. :tink:

If they do require them can you just imagine the sunburn/tan lines that people will have from wearing them out in the sun all day?
Yeah, that would be interesting. I'm hoping this is all under control before I go back. Wishing and hoping... and planning for spring 2021.

Masks, such as surgical or procedural masks, do not protect you from the disease. It protects others from you spreading the disease from you to them. You need to wear a respirator with a tight seal to protect you, especially if you have other medical conditions that make it easier for you to get the disease (and in that case, you'd be better off staying home). So you only need to wear a mask if you are active with the disease. There are so many people who just don't understand the reasoning behind the masks. People are going to be passing out if they have to wear an N95 respirator around the theme parks in hot/humid Florida weather.

Exactly! I keep reading about parents saying they need to get masks for their little ones "to protect them". I'm like, sheesh, read up people! I guess it makes them feel better, and more protected, but that leads to laziness, and danger.

People who are claustrophobic may have a problem wearing a mask or respirator all the time. I used to do fit testing for a hospital and often found nurses who couldn't last five minutes with the N95 respirator and had to wear a PAPR, which could also be claustrophobic.

The other issue is what does Disney do with all the contaminated masks. You can't wear the same one for days at end; you need to replace it when it gets wet. Gloves are pretty much worthless unless you can change them often. You touch a surface and the gloves are contaminated and need to be changed. I see people wearing gloves in the grocery store and worry about everything they have touched.

Really? It never occured to me. I have a pattern, and disney fabric, but elastic is hard to find these days. My sister had to order 125 metres of the stuff. I hope she's sending me some. :tink:

You can get elastic on Amazon. I ordered some last weekend, waiting to receive it now. Good luck, hope you find some. princess:

Well... most people in the US will not wear them. Very few areas of the country are trying to mandate masks, and most sheriff’s departments are refusing to uphold these mandates. It is about personal freedom. It’s not constitutional. Lawsuits are in process. Sure Disney is private property but that doesn’t allow them to do whatever they want to people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter