Just added on 300 pts at OKW direct with Disney at $135 per point thru 2057. Added magical beginnings and that reduced the price to $115 per point.

Willing to share your total price after fees? I did the math on what I was given from my guide and it seemed like RIV was a better deal IF you calculate it over the course of the contract which is longer than OKW, but I don't trust my math as it is not my strong suit. WE do know we wouldn't be able to use all the years, but we could leave it to the kids for them to enjoy longer than the OKW points could be. Did you do this math before you bought? Thanks!
The longer contracts nearly always win out when you calculate it on a point per year basis but most of the time people omit the importance of opportunity cost. With OKW dues being higher and having a shorter contract length and RIV having the higher initial buy in (increased opportunity cost) I'd imagine they're a lot closer in price than people think. IMO, buy the place you're truly happy staying at and be done with it.

And actually this is why we went with OKW direct instead of resale, because the direct OKW points work better overall with our direct RIV points. We at least want the chance to sometimes book RIV at 7months and are ok with preferred view 1BR which has decent 7 month availability. But we also like having the flexibility to stay at some of the other resorts so RIV resale wouldn’t let us do that. So after lots of back and forth, this seemed the most cost effective way to add on for our SAP points, and the bonus of OKW GV for extended family trips is nice too.
Yep this is why I'm not buying anymore non-direct points. I don't know if I'd use them on a 1BR preferred personally but I can see us using them at 7 months on a Grand Villa so we don't have to bank/borrow and use 3 years of our RIV points in one week.

I think it’s a little silly to calculate cost for the LIFE of a 30+ year contract. There’s too many variables - opportunity costs, what dues increases will actually be, whether you will actually own the thing for 30+ years, etc.

I don’t ignore dues (it’s why I won’t buy HHI), but I think up front costs are usually far more important, especially for the kind of deal on OKW now. Sure dues are 10%-15% more on OKW than other properties, but you are talking about getting points for 30% less than anything else out there.

In other words, If you can use OKW points, I wouldn’t fret about the dues with this deal.

I said I wasn’t going to do it… but I did it. I jumped in with 300 OKW points to add to our 300 RIV direct points…

There was a voice in my head telling me I’d regret it if I didn’t do it. Now my biggest issue is finding ways to spend the points (a fun problem to have I suppose).
Niiiiice!

I said I wasn’t going to do it… but I did it. I jumped in with 300 OKW points to add to our 300 RIV direct points…

There was a voice in my head telling me I’d regret it if I didn’t do it.
Yep, I had that same nagging voice! Glad to have company in the RIV/OKW membership. Actually since I finally made the decision last week, I’m really excited about how it could work out. Already booked RIV grand villa for big family trip this summer and plan to swing by OKW to tour the GV there, have brunch at Olivia’s, then take the boat into Disney Springs!

Willing to share your total price after fees? I did the math on what I was given from my guide and it seemed like RIV was a better deal IF you calculate it over the course of the contract which is longer than OKW, but I don't trust my math as it is not my strong suit. WE do know we wouldn't be able to use all the years, but we could leave it to the kids for them to enjoy longer than the OKW points could be. Did you do this math before you bought? Thanks!
Total after receipt of $6,000 MB and with closing costs of $1,057 is $35,557.

Once you go one bedroom you never go back.

We never go less than one bedroom.

I am curious, never stayed in a one-bedroom, only a studio and upcoming stay in a 2-bedroom so we could invite more people.

Sometimes I think about adding on points so I can stay in a one-bedroom. But then I look at the points for a one-bedroom vs. a studio, and I just can't stomach it. It is more than double the points! At least for Riviera... I feel like if I added on, I would end up taking more/longer trips in a studio rather than spending more points for a one-bedroom.

What is it about the one-bedroom that you love and makes it worth that many points? Is it just the laundry? Do you spend a lot of time in the room? Am i just cheap?? (Probably, yes)

Seems typical consensus for a 1 bedroom is: almost always available even tough windows, separation from kids, washer and dryer.

You have to find value in those things to use your points on them.
And more space to spread out, and a King sized bed.
The full kitchen can be nice too if you want to have groceries delivered and have some meals in the room.

I am curious, never stayed in a one-bedroom, only a studio and upcoming stay in a 2-bedroom so we could invite more people.

Sometimes I think about adding on points so I can stay in a one-bedroom. But then I look at the points for a one-bedroom vs. a studio, and I just can't stomach it. It is more than double the points! At least for Riviera... I feel like if I added on, I would end up taking more/longer trips in a studio rather than spending more points for a one-bedroom.

What is it about the one-bedroom that you love and makes it worth that many points? Is it just the laundry? Do you spend a lot of time in the room? Am i just cheap?? (Probably, yes)
It seems the consensus is that Studios and 2 Bedroom Villas are slightly underpriced and that 1 Bedroom Villas and Grand Villas are slightly overpriced from a point chart value perspective.

I would argue that a villa is a completely different vacation experience from a studio. This goes back to the two types of DVC buyers… people who purchased because they wanted “deluxe at a moderate price” vs people who want an elevated travel experience and for it to feel like a vacation home (living room, kitchen, laundry, separate bedroom, multiple bathrooms, king bed in primary suite). You also don’t have the availability issues with villas that plague studios. So, overall it’s a more relaxing vacation experience and many people don’t go back to studios after staying in a villa.

My wife has told me she will only stay in 1Bds (we are normally a 2Bd crew) even if the kids stop traveling with us unless we are trying to sneak into VDH @7m with our limited number of direct points.

Obviously the studio to Villa ratio at VDH and the 100% studio BPK flip shows that DVC believes most DVC buyers are “value” buyers.

Yeah the 1 bedrooms probably should have slightly lower cost to even out availability. Also, don't forget that some of the 1 Bedrooms have a full extra bathroom as well. Kidani village, Bay lake tower, Grand Cal and Disneyland Hotel I think.

Or they could make new 1 bedrooms sleep 6. 2 beds in the bedroom and 1 full/queen in the studio, or the other way around. It has always seemed silly that the studios sleep the same, sometimes more compared to a 1 bedroom

I think it depends on your circumstances. When we 1st stayed at OKW, we were in a studio, DW, me and our DD and DS, who at that time had no issues in the same bed, they were too young to understand differences in boys and girls. But my DW and I quickly decided if we were to ever stay at OKW again, it would have to be in a 1 bed. Our only other comparison to a studio would have have been at Villas at Wilderness Lodge(aka these days as BRV). Even though OKW studios have more SF, VWL felt bigger and less like a nice hotel room, but more like a true villa or efficiency apt.

FF to a few years later, we got a 1 bed at OKW after the kids were getting older and we had began to experience 1 beds at VWL also. WOW, just WOW when we walked into the 1 bed at OKW, it was HUGE, with a very big balcony to boot! The living room/kitchen/dining area was massive, plenty of room for our kids to spread out, and each had a bed, DD took the sofa bed and DS took the seat bed. We never looked back at studios again(though we did stay once at AKL for a quick stay with DS). At that moment, we fell in love with OKW. At that time, VWL was and still is our home resort, but OKW quickly became a really close 2nd in our hearts.

You asked, what makes a 1 bed worth it, So I might get blasted here, and its just my opinion...Studios at OKW feel like a glorified Holiday Inn room, meaning, no where to set as a family except the beds if you are watching TV, in other words, no couch. If I were hitting the parks early, staying late, all I need is a studio, anywhere. But Im fast approaching 60, and the days of hitting the parks wide open are long gone. 1 beds and 2 beds at OKW give us room to move around, have our own space at times, laundry, which means less to pack, and the plus of 2 beds over one, 2 baths instead of 1. Thats a plus where 3 adults are going like our family is these days(DD is married with 3 kids now)so DS is right there with us when we hit the road to WDW. Another plus in a 1 bed, to get ready in the AM, my DW can utilize one shower while I am in other, coming in the evening and 2 folks need a toilet(not trying to be crude, but lets face it, as we age, toilet needs are more prevalent:teeth:).

Its little things, but we are on vacation, I like to feel as if I am. Too many times we put ourselves in cramped spaces with those we love the most when on vacation, and we come back not feeling rested, but rather tired, and too a degree, tired of each other. A WDW trip should be about making memories with those we love, and keeping those memories alive well after those we spent the time with are gone.

DVC does cost a lot, I agree, wish we could go back to the $50 per point that my friends bought in at OKW way back in 91, or even the $72 per point we paid for VWL 10 years later. Those days are gone. But I cant put a dollar amount on all the trips we have made, and raising our kids partially at WDW, or the times spent with my parents as they were aging or taking my Dad to see the Atlanta Braves at spring training, or having the MK mayor walk our DD back to City Hall to get her birthday badge, all the while yelling her name out as others were entering the park and having them all holler back, Happy Birthday Kristian! Lots of other magical moments that occasionally hit my brain and it makes me smile. WDW and DVC created another life for me that otherwise I wouldn't have had. And I have no regrets at all!

Yeah the 1 bedrooms probably should have slightly lower cost to even out availability. Also, don't forget that some of the 1 Bedrooms have a full extra bathroom as well. Kidani village, Bay lake tower, Grand Cal and Disneyland Hotel I think.

Or they could make new 1 bedrooms sleep 6. 2 beds in the bedroom and 1 full/queen in the studio, or the other way around. It has always seemed silly that the studios sleep the same, sometimes more compared to a 1 bedroom
It was pretty shocking that the BC/BW 1Bds have less sleeping surfaces and the same number of bathrooms as studios…

I think it depends on your circumstances. When we 1st stayed at OKW, we were in a studio, DW, me and our DD and DS, who at that time had no issues in the same bed, they were too young to understand differences in boys and girls. But my DW and I quickly decided if we were to ever stay at OKW again, it would have to be in a 1 bed. Our only other comparison to a studio would have have been at Villas at Wilderness Lodge(aka these days as BRV). Even though OKW studios have more SF, VWL felt bigger and less like a nice hotel room, but more like a true villa or efficiency apt.

FF to a few years later, we got a 1 bed at OKW after the kids were getting older and we had began to experience 1 beds at VWL also. WOW, just WOW when we walked into the 1 bed at OKW, it was HUGE, with a very big balcony to boot! The living room/kitchen/dining area was massive, plenty of room for our kids to spread out, and each had a bed, DD took the sofa bed and DS took the seat bed. We never looked back at studios again(though we did stay once at AKL for a quick stay with DS). At that moment, we fell in love with OKW. At that time, VWL was and still is our home resort, but OKW quickly became a really close 2nd in our hearts.

You asked, what makes a 1 bed worth it, So I might get blasted here, and its just my opinion...Studios at OKW feel like a glorified Holiday Inn room, meaning, no where to set as a family except the beds if you are watching TV, in other words, no couch. If I were hitting the parks early, staying late, all I need is a studio, anywhere. But Im fast approaching 60, and the days of hitting the parks wide open are long gone. 1 beds and 2 beds at OKW give us room to move around, have our own space at times, laundry, which means less to pack, and the plus of 2 beds over one, 2 baths instead of 1. Thats a plus where 3 adults are going like our family is these days(DD is married with 3 kids now)so DS is right there with us when we hit the road to WDW. Another plus in a 1 bed, to get ready in the AM, my DW can utilize one shower while I am in other, coming in the evening and 2 folks need a toilet(not trying to be crude, but lets face it, as we age, toilet needs are more prevalent:teeth:).

Its little things, but we are on vacation, I like to feel as if I am. Too many times we put ourselves in cramped spaces with those we love the most when on vacation, and we come back not feeling rested, but rather tired, and too a degree, tired of each other. A WDW trip should be about making memories with those we love, and keeping those memories alive well after those we spent the time with are gone.

DVC does cost a lot, I agree, wish we could go back to the $50 per point that my friends bought in at OKW way back in 91, or even the $72 per point we paid for VWL 10 years later. Those days are gone. But I cant put a dollar amount on all the trips we have made, and raising our kids partially at WDW, or the times spent with my parents as they were aging or taking my Dad to see the Atlanta Braves at spring training, or having the MK mayor walk our DD back to City Hall to get her birthday badge, all the while yelling her name out as others were entering the park and having them all holler back, Happy Birthday Kristian! Lots of other magical moments that occasionally hit my brain and it makes me smile. WDW and DVC created another life for me that otherwise I wouldn't have had. And I have no regrets at all!
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter