Just back! 3 night Merrytime

daisyx3

DIS Veteran
We disembarked from a 3 night Merrytime yesterday. I was told we had 1800-2000 on board. It did feel empty to me. I have only cruised in the summer or end of March before. This was my 6th cruise.
Our rotation was Animators-Enchanted Garden--Royal Palace. Server was Hedu and assistant was Christian. They were wonderful.
A few items that were anamolies for my limited experience;
1) we didn't leave until 6 on Friday. It had rained all day but stopped about 3. They did page someone to deck 3 a few times. Later that night Captain Thord made an announcement that we had a very late arriving guest and that was part of it, plus something wasn't working right so the ship was only going 16 knots and not 19. The guest thing made me assume they must have been a VIP perhaps? Why would they hold it so late? All aboard was 345.
2) due to those issues we arrived in CC about 10 and got off the ship about 11. They did add character appearances and an extra movie showing to make up for the late arrival and moved all aboard to 515 but we started moving at 510, so everyone must have been onboard. Because of high winds, I think just about every activity on CC was canceled. I bought DH some snorkel gear for his bday but even the snorkle trail was closed
3) a cold front came through Sunday (sea day) and the high (in the morning) was 71. Clouds came in big in the afternoon. The Captain had told us that late afternoon we were going to have 20 foot waves and take motion sickness meds if needed, so I got a couple from guest services. A crew member said Sunday night was the biggest waves since the cruise restart. Walking around on deck 3 I was weaving back and forth! But with those waves I slept like a baby!
4) when we were lined up to go back onboard at CC they had two medical emergencies come on board. A man on a golf cart had a big toe that was really sliced up and bleeding, and he said "That's not the worst of it" when we commented on how sorry we were. A couple of women also rushed a child wrapped in a blanket onboard. As we left CC the captain said we had to do a medical evac at Nassau so we got there about 1130 PM. I assumed it was one of those two, but I've heard since on the cruise FB group that it was one of the pastry chefs and that he sadly didn't make it. I feel awful for his family and the crew.
5) the Christmas trees and garlands etc. were gorgeous. I was sad that we didn't get to see the gingerbread house unveiled. They were working on it when we boarded, and it smelled fantastic, but they never took the barrier down. I'm guessing this is tied to the pastry chef as well.

Oh noooo. How tragic regarding the pastry chef.

I did see instagram stories of how large the waves were and the Magic backing into dock at CC. It looked really wild.

We sail this Saturday on the Magic. It is our first time sailing her. I look forward to the beautiful decorations.

The guest thing made me assume they must have been a VIP perhaps? Why would they hold it so late?
Could be someone who booked flights through DCL, and since the ship was delayed for a mechanical issue anyway it may not have been held just for the passenger.

So sorry to hear about the medical issues and possibly the pastry chef.

I did see instagram stories of how large the waves were and the Magic backing into dock at CC. It looked really wild.
I was actually worried on the Dream Saturday because I've never missed CC and it was so windy. But Captain Thord was a champ!

We were on that cruise as well as saw the evacuation from our room. I was wondering what was wrong with him because he just had a regular mask on (no oxygen) and he was sitting up and alert. He was waving to what I assume were other crew members as they put him in the ambulance so I didn't think it was so serious that he would have passed away. That's a shame.

Last edited:
We were on that cruise as well as saw the evacuation from our room. I was wondering what was wrong with him because he just had a regular mask on (no oxygen) and he was sitting up and alert. He was waving to what I assume were other crew members as they put him in the ambulance so I didn't think it was so serious that he would have passed away. That's a shame.
Was this the pastry chef that was being evacuated? Maybe he is okay after all.

Could be someone who booked flights through DCL, and since the ship was delayed for a mechanical issue anyway it may not have been held just for the passenger.

So sorry to hear about the medical issues and possibly the pastry chef.
And they may have had Disney Travel Insurance. They held the ship for 90 minutes on our cruise for about 15 passengers who arrived via Disney buses, like 3 per bus, including one bus that entered the boarding area so fast that it squealed it's tires. Rumor on board later in the week was all booked their flights through Disney, ground transportation through Disney and had Disney Travel insurance, and some had expressed concern when they got their flight information that their flights were arriving too late to make the ship. Disney would have been on the hook for a lot of money if they hadn't held the ship.

Oh noooo. How tragic regarding the pastry chef.

We sail this Saturday on the Magic. It is our first time sailing her. I look forward to the beautiful decorations.

We sail Saturday too, cannot wait to board her, its been 26 months since our last cruise. I hope I don't blubber like a wimp.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter