Just Back: 50's PT Cafe Review!

Wef

Earning My Ears
We hit MGM on a day it was absolutely pouring. I'm not one for thrill rides, so DH rode ToT and RR while I waited in the gift shops (thank you, Fastpass!). We ran around and hit most of the highlights before lunch. I had made a PS for 11:30, but around 11:00 we were soaked to the bone and really hungry, so we dropped in early.

Let me say right off that DH had wanted to go to the Brown Derby. It's not that he had been there before, but it does have a reputation, which he considers is a safer bet than an unknown. But from what I read on the DIS boards, PT sounded like so much fun. I was a little hesitant, though, because DH does not like to be singled out, and if he's in a certain mood, he won't play along. Oh well. Life is nothing if we don't take risks, right?

We showed up 1/2 hour early for our PS and they took us right in!! YAY! The waiting area is really neat--like a tacky fifties living room with really cool furniture. The servers called each party by yelling "Smith kids!! Dinner's ready!!"

Since we were so early, we had a prime table at one of the countertops with our own TV. DH was amazed at the decor--how it looked like we were sitting in a real kitchen. There's a metal basket on the counter with napkins and silverware and crayons. I warned DH to set his place and to keep his elbows off the table!

Our server was Auntie Elaine. She was fun and efficient and kept it low-key with us, probably because we didn't have kids. In the next room, I heard a server introduce a young girl from one table to a family at another table "This is your cousin, Patty. You probably don't recognize her--she's grown so much!!" There were two other tables of people in our kitchen. Auntie Elaine had us say which state we were from--then I heard her saying to one of the tables "We like to play around and have a little fun here--we don't try to hurt anyone's feelings."

Onto the food...We started with onion rings. They were more like those onion ribbons you occasionally find...very, very thinly sliced and tangled together, fried in crumbs. Very crunchy and good. They were served with a horseradish dipping sauce.

At the suggestion of Auntie Elaine, DH ordered the pot roast and I had the fried chicken. When the runner came out with our meals, she put the fried chicken down in front of me and said, "You make sure to eat all your dinner." I looked at the enormous portion and felt all those onion rings I just ate and said, "I don't think I can do it." The runner turned to DH and said, "You're going to have to help her out. Us girls have to watch our figures, you know."

My meal consisted of three pieces of fried chicken--drumstick, breast, and thigh--a big scoop of mashed potatoes and gravy and a very large side of fresh green beans, nicely accented with shreds of carrot. The food was hot, fresh, and sooooo good!! Totally exceeded my expectations. DH's pot roast was a thick slab with carrots and celery, sitting atop a pile of mashed potatoes with gravy poured all over. I'm no pot roast fan, but it was marvelous. We chowed down!! It tasted exactly like something our mother's would make, which, after a week of restaurant food, was very welcome, indeed.

The dessert menu is on a viewmaster, which is a fun idea. We flipped through the selections, but knew we were too full. We would have tried the S'mores (found the recipe on All Ears Net--will make it at home!) DH finished his coffee and raved about what a good choice PT was. :teeth:

Wef - Great review. We went there for the first time on our last trip two years ago. We have a PS for our next trip in 5 weeks - can't hardly wait. My DD and her friend were both 14 last trip. Our server (can't remember his name) made them stand up in the middle of the place and sing I'm a Little Teapot. Then he actually chased DD's friend through the restaurant with a fork full of green beans. I guess we were "picked on" because we had teenagers, but this is what we wanted. We had a ball and laughed the entire time. (The girls were doing thinks on purpose to get yelled at, lol) Can't wait until this time, they will both be 16.

50's is one of our favorite and we have tried the fried chicken before and it is yummy. Ah the memories. Only 7 more months and we'll be able to order our own! Great review.

Excellent review - I can almost taste the food:teeth:
I couldnt take my family to PC their table manners are atrocious;)

Thanks for the great review. We love this restaurant, it is one of 3 "must-do" restaurants we eat at every time we go to WDW.

We have PS's and I hope it will be okay, my DD will be 6 and is very prone to cry if being made fun of, I will prepare her and hope it works out. I am sooo hungry now!

Microcell I know what you mean about a crying child. (I think I may have mentioned this in another post) my DS is mildly autistic and jokes go right over his head. When we were at 50's the CM started taking our order and joking well DS didn't get it and the CM cued right into him and left him alone. As a matter of fact, (after I explained to him) he rushed our order out in record time. Just mentioned something in passing and I'm sure they'll get it.

PS I'm hungry too!

We went to PT when my boys were 6 and 7. We were there with another family and grandparents. All the adults loved it. The kids from the other family loved it--I think they were 6 and 10. Our boys said they never wanted to go back. I got in "trouble" twice. Once I had to eat some of my veggies via the airplane--I hate veggies and the boys know it. Another time, I don't know what I did, but I had to sing the tea pot song. Mind you, it did not bother me at all. However, the boys were very upset that the waiter had treated me that way. (They did not say anything until we left.) They were so upset that it was almost comical. I tried to explain that it was all in fun and not to worry. However, they kept saying that it is not okay to make fun at the expense of someone else. Also, some of the rules completely offended them. For example, my DH is heavy due to a very slow metabolism. As a result, we have no clean plate rule in our house. Instead, you eat until you are full. (We give small portions, so you can't eat all of one item and claim that you are full.)

We are going to try it again when the older--heck I think they might be delighted to see me in trouble some days! I wish I had explained it to them before we went there.

I suspect they will love it the next time we go back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter