Just Back and a Review

fbarker

DIS Veteran
We just got back from WDW, we were there from 3/25 - 3/30:

1. Absolutely beautiful weather. Mid 80's, with low humidity each day and in the mid to high 60's at night
2. Stayed at POR. We have been there a number of times but a few observations
a. an ideal setting. So very pretty and well themed
b. We love where its located, a bit off the main drag but so easy to get to EPCOT and MK. Not so bad to get to HS either.
c. Stayed in Mansions, a very easy walk to get food and snacks
b. Some negatives a
i. We arranged for on-line check in and on our arrival day we went straight to HS and spent the day there. I did not receive any text that my room was available and then around 3pm went to POR to find out the status. We did receive a text around 3:30 saying our room was not ready, so I went to the concierge who was able to find a room that was available and assigned us the room. It was a great location
ii. We found the room lacking in available outlets to charge our computers and cell phones. I would highly recommend you bring an electrical strip so you can charge your things at night. This seems odd, for the price you pay that Disney has not upgraded the rooms to accommodate this need. Every hotel on our way down had retrofitted their rooms to accommodate this.
iii. The switches to control the lights are only on one side of the bed, so if the other person wants to turn on or off the light above their side of the bed the must either get out of bed and walk around or ask the other person to do it.
iv. Being Spring Break times there were a number of high school groups. These groups were large, will over 200 and I know of two that were at POR. The kids were all well behaved but when they descended in mass to the eating area the shut it down!!. There were not enough staff to handle this influx of people and they took up most of the eating tables. This impacts the"regular" customers in a major negative manner. Disney must do something to address this issue!!
d. Overall we had a great park experience
i. Positive: Express Bus for park hopping. This is outstanding and at the increased price still a great value. We used it for 10 rides and each time it worked perfectly. I hope they keep it but I don't see how since no bus we rode had more than 6 people on it.
ii. Negative: Washrooms....We found a number of washrooms not up the the Disney standard. We found towels on the floor, dirty stalls and floors.
iii. Positive: River of Lights: We thought this was an outstanding show. We were able to secure a FP+ on the day we wanted to go. Very impressive
iv. Negative: Nighttime Safari. We were underwhelmed by this experience. We saw the lions on the move and a bit or roaring by the male, we also saw a group (tower) of Giraffes, we also had a Rhino who decided it wanted to lay in the road. They had to get the handlers to come our and coax him off the road. But beyond that we could not see much. We truly see more during the day.
e. Magic Bands: Overall ok but we had the following issues
i. Getting the evil blue light when entering the park. It probably happened to us a total of 5 times and if I am asked one more time, What park were you at yesterday?, did you use the same finger as last time?, have you put lotion on your hands? This technology must be improved!! *S*
ii. On our last day, we went to EPCOT when we got to the parking lot neither mine or my wife's magic band would work for parking. The attendant had no idea and charged us $20.00. We then had to go to Guest Services to resolve the problem and get our $20 back. Such a pain!!. We want to the manager of POR and discussed this with him and he could not determine what the problem was and gave us two free snacks for our troubles!!
f. Dining: Table Service: We had great meals and enjoyed them all
i. Coral Reef: Tables too close together
ii. BOG: Main Dining Room. Great and had an outstanding waiter
iii. Tokyo Dining: Great seats by window, very enjoyable
iv. Via Napoli: Our pizza night very simple and tasted good
v. California Grill: Great seats by the window overlooking 7 Seas Lagoon. Great sunset
vi. Grand Floridian Cafe: Good meal but not great service.

That is it in a nutshell. We then had to drive home and had to reroute because of the bridge fire in Atlanta. It was our first time going through AL. A bit slow at times but over all not bad.

Thanks for listening!!

We were there 23-30th. We also notice the bathrooms were not clean. We were at the poly, but did notice many groups in the parks. Probably the main reason we started staying deluxe and bought DVC. Just got tired of groups taking over the resorts. You really feel it on the buses and in the foodcourts. For us the main gripe was the monorails breaking down constantly. We were kicked off monorails twice for maintenance and the other walked to the TTC only to find out the Epcot monorail was down. It stopped on us mid- route back from Epcot luckily for just a minute. But it was enough to convince me that I think I like buses better. At least if they break down I'm not stranded in the sky :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter