Just back and kinda shocked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, maybe we should play up to this stereotype, and go on a rampage around Disney!! :rotfl: I'll be there next week, anyone want to join me in flattening a few unsuspecting tourists? :lmao:

For anyone offended by this post, please see my signature; for anyone interested, please see me later :rotfl:

It's that British sense of humor that Americans don't necessarily "get". Looks like DH and I will be there some of the time you will be - we leave tomorrow (YAAAAAY) and will be there until the 14th.

we even have a point scoring system for idiots -

:rolleyes: 1-2 points for the slightly annoying, but not too inconvenient drift in front
:headache: 3 points for someone who means we have to slow down or change direction fairly quickly
:mad: 4 points for the completely unthinking
:eek: 5 points for those who look straight at you (or should I say 'through you'?), then deliberately walk in your way anyway

We are going for the first time in December and DS is in a power chair. While non-verbal he will love this point system and laugh each time we give out points. Thanks for the fun idea. :rotfl:

I injured my foot and this will be my first trip with a scooter. I'm going to print this out, laminate it, and put it as a sign in front of my scooter basket. Wish I had the ability to set up some kind of bell or whistle that could go off like pinball machine sound effects.
Just creating my own Toy Story Mania on the streets of Disney!:rotfl:

My DH just suggested that I put on a sign that says "If you can read this sign you are too d*mn close!"

I'll write it in 10 pt. font.

Jokes aside, the more I read on the ECVs here on the boards, the more it enforces my experience with many annoying drivers that have a sense of "owning the road" while scooting around at Disney.

It's a wonderful thing that ECVs exist, and it allows those who typically could not enjoy the park to enjoy the park! Anything that allows more people to enjoy the magic is a good thing.

That said, I keep reading many serious posts, not just jokes, that drivers get dirty looks, stared at, etc.. In the same breath, I hear people upset that they are walked in front of, have to slow down for someone, or they have to go around someone. Hmmm, that doesn't sound much differently than walking in the park! Yes, it is hard to manuvuer, however just because you can move faster, doesn't mean you should if walkers are having trouble themselves walking at a normal pace. If someone rang a bell or horn at me, you bet they are going to get a stare and dirty look. I don't enjoy waiting for people either when I'm WALKING in a crowd, but let the magic of disney help you overlook things. If you're getting stares, I wouldn't assume someone is judging you as to why you're in the scooter, I would look at the way you're driving around in it. I don't have patience for people that don't respect others.

The scooters should be looked at as a wonderful tool to even the playing field for those that need it, it does not mean you have the right away because you are driving a motorized piece of equipment. I think it's a form of road rage that some of these people have. The park was built for people that walk, and expanded to allow people that have a difficult time walking to utilize motorized scooters. I believe most people with disabilities don't want to be treated any differently than people without them, so look at the annoyances as just that, something you have to deal with because you are unable to walk the park. Why not just appreciate that you can still experience the park like everyone else? The world infrastructure was built for the masses and those that don't conform will experience many more inconvieniences than those that do. Fair? Not at all, but that is the harsh non-disney life.

When we go in January, and my mother (70s) is in a wheelchair or ECV, we'll be yielding to those walking around us, just like we do with our stroller. It's amazing how good manners can reciprocate good manners. Try it.

When we go in January, and my mother (70s) is in a wheelchair or ECV, we'll be yielding to those walking around us, just like we do with our stroller. It's amazing how good manners can reciprocate good manners. Try it.

I read this and it hit me soo wrong :mad: so I went and read my Facebook and piddled around, and came back and read it again - and it still makes me mad. Not that you are taking your mother and that she may be using an ECV - good for her! I truly hope she enjoys her trip......and I will be so interested in seeing how your attitude changes after seeing her experiences. What is abosolutely making my blood boil is "It's amazing how good manners can reciprocate good manners. Try it." Even the first part I was ok with - the "Try it" is what got me. Do you honestly think we are hot rodding lunatics gunning for old ladies and small children? No - we are mothers, fathers, husbands, wives - people who are just trying to stay with our families. You say that you "get" they are harder to maneuver.....I don't think you do - I really don't. I can't speak for everyone on an ECV, but I can speak for myself. When I am on mine I try to maintain a small distance behind my husband and kids - that is so when they change directions or speeds I can adjust and stay with them. In your descriptions of Disney its as if there are nice neat orderly lines with everyone going at the same speed and ECVs weaving out of control plowing people over (yes, I am exaggerating). But the fact is, people are not moving at the same speeds (walkers or riders), they are not going in the same direction, the crowds get congested and then loosen up. And the fact also is that when I leave a couple feet between my husband and me, invariably somebody on foot will see that as their opening to cut across and get where they are going a little quicker. When they do that I let up my speed so I don't hit them, and sometimes the opening in front of me closes and and I lose sight of hubby and kids because I am behind them and they can't see what is going on.
Going through the bag checks is another place where "being polite" puts you at a disadvantage. I watch the lines before I get to them, I pick one (like everybody else) that looks relatively short, I go to one where I can go through on the right side, so I can hand him my stuff with my left hand and still use the "gas" with my right hand. People usually go through in groups - they shuffle around while waiting, backwards and forwards, again I try to leave a little space (less than when walking - but enough that the person in front of me doesn't step back on my cart) Even when walking I leave space - I don't like crowding people. But other people have no problem crowding. I saw one gal squeeze ahead of an older lady on an EVC , the young gal had a backpack on, and this lady's EVC was different than mine - somehow the gal with the backpack had her backpack on the lady's controls and it was powering the cart - right into her. The lady on the ECV was flustered and didn't know what to do - there was no where to go because they were in between the baggage tables at Epcot. The gal with the pack thought the lady was doing it on purpose. It didn't take long to clear up - but the young gal probably had sore legs from being run into by the ECV because of being impatient and inconsiderate and the poor lady on the ECV was a mess. She was traveling with another older lady and when they got through the check they went and sat along one of the little wall areas for a while. She was really upset and it looked like she needed a few minutes to settle down. She sounded like she was new to the ECV because when it was ramming the girl she was asking "how do I stop it". I think people on foot have unrealistic expectations of what an ECV can or can't do. Even those people who are traveling with someone on an ECV doesn't necessarily understand. So, in January, take your mother, enjoy your trip, and come back and tell us how you feel about ECVs.

This will be my first ECV trip.
I am very worried about hitting people.
I plan on always having it on the lowest speed.
I walk very slowly. So, going fast or having people in my way who are too slow is a completely foreign concept to me and I highly doubt I will feel impatient by not being able to move fast enough.
That being said, I plan on having it for half a day around my resort before I hit the parks to get used to it. I will be DEVESTATED if i hit anyone.
I am actually considering getting a stack of Disney dollars and if I run into anyone, apologizing (even if they stepped in front of me and are oblivious...it is Disney, people are not going to be paying attention they are looking at all the wonderful stuff and talking to family), and then handing them a disney dollar and asking them to settle out of court.
I thought this might keep everyone smiling about it (plus, I'm a lawyer, so I think it's super funny).

btw, I'll be there sept. 29-oct.5 and i'm trickin' out the scooter as the "Tinkmobile". Stop and say hi if you see me!

I read this and it hit me soo wrong
I really only have a few comments about your post:

1). Why do you even go to Disney, it sounds like a horrible place based on your description.

2). If your family doesn't stay behind with you, I suggest having a heart to heart with them before you leave. You're mad at people in your way because your family doesn't stay behind? It seems to me that your anger is misdirected.

3). Do you think strollers are that much different? We've been 4 times with a stroller, and take the polite approach, it works fine. You'll find an exception frequent enough, but just as you find people inconsiderate in line. I have seen rude people on the ECVs, with strollers and I have seen rude walkers.

From many of the posts I see here, people are so prepared for "looks", people walking in front of them, and rudeness, that they probably are a bit sensitive to begin with. There are wayyy too many stressed, angry, impatient people. You will not get anywhere by thinking a horn, or sign will solve your problem. How about getting some of the Disney spirit and trying patience and politeness?

""I really only have a few comments about your post:

1). Why do you even go to Disney, it sounds like a horrible place based on your description.""

I have never implied Disney is a horrible place - I have only suggested that you are unaware of the obstacles that those of us using an ECV have to encounter. And that not all of them are our fault or are avoidable no matter how polite you are.

""2). If your family doesn't stay behind with you, I suggest having a heart to heart with them before you leave. You're mad at people in your way because your family doesn't stay behind? It seems to me that your anger is misdirected.""

I am not at all mad that my family walks on ahead. I prefer it that way - they can see what attractions have long lines and which don't and can work their way to them. I am back just far enough that I can follow them through crowds. This is only when it is crowded, mind you, if we luck out and the walkways are relatively open we are together - but if we are "fighting traffic" it is easier for me to hang back a little ways so they can make a hole in the crowd for me to follow than it is for me to try to do it. And I don't believe I ever said I was "mad" at the people who cut across the space that I leave. No, I don't like it, I deliberately try to leave space so I don't hit anyone and if someone inconsiderate enough to step into that foot or two of space that I left then I am frustrated, yes, mad - no. Now, if they walk in the space that I left and I have to let off my speed and somebody behind me isn't paying attention and stumbles over me then I am more upset. Not at the person who stumbles over me, but at the one who made me stop, causing the "accident" because they are long gone and the person who stumbles thinks I am just another one of those "inconsiderate ECV drivers"

""3). Do you think strollers are that much different? We've been 4 times with a stroller, and take the polite approach, it works fine. You'll find an exception frequent enough, but just as you find people inconsiderate in line. I have seen rude people on the ECVs, with strollers and I have seen rude walkers.""

I did strollers for years with my kids - and yes, I do think, as a driver, strollers are a little different. When you stop walking the stroller stops going (unless you push it on ahead of you) With the ECV when you let off it still rolls just a little bit even though you feel like you are coming to a jerking stop - and that is just if you let go completely to avoid a collision. If you ease off of it so you don't have such a jerky stop then you are still moving forward with a very heavy machine. As far as the space it takes up and people around you not paying attention - in that way - yes strollers and ECV's are similar - but bottom line is if someone cuts off a walker or a stroller and gets "hit" it won't hurt near as much as if they cut off an ECV and get "hit". I am aware of that and try to avoid as much congestion as possible

""From many of the posts I see here, people are so prepared for "looks", people walking in front of them, and rudeness, that they probably are a bit sensitive to begin with. There are wayyy too many stressed, angry, impatient people. You will not get anywhere by thinking a horn, or sign will solve your problem. How about getting some of the Disney spirit and trying patience and politeness?""

In this case I know you are not addressing me (or at least shouldn't be) I do not put signs on my cart or use my horn. I don't pay much attention to the looks or comments that may go on around me - I am there to enjoy my vacation not worry about what a complete stranger thinks of me. But I am big on personal space I don't like being unnecessarily crowded - I know Disney can be a crowded place, and if we are leaving after fireworks I expect to be in crowds, but if we are in line, people don't need to use the back of my seat to lean on, or the bottom platform as their foot rest, I also don't expect to have to sit and wait for half the park to rush past before I can move. I don't mind being polite and have some Disney spirit - that is what I go there for, but I also don't feel that being polite and Disney-ish means that you let everyone walk all over you (literally or figuratively)

We are going on 2 more trips before the end of the year, and back again in June. That will be 4 trips in a 12 month period, obviously I wouldn't be going so often if the bad outweighed the good. If I couldn't use an ECV I would not be going at all, so obviously there is more good to the ECV than bad also.

And despite this exchange, I believe if we actually encountered each other at Disney neither of us would have a problem with the others behavior.

I am going to close this thread at this point.
It is not going anywhere good and has become mostly responses to one poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter