Just back and kinda shocked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been the recipient of many nasty looks while on my ECV, particularly when trying to manuever through tight corners in queues. Finding myself bearing the brunt of impatient sighs and rolling eyes often makes me feel so sad. I just don't understand why people feel the need to be so ugly. :confused3

It's especially bad when people see how seemingly easy I am able to leave the ECV and move around for a short while. I have Lupus and Fibro, which makes standing or walking for more than 10-15 minutes absolutely unbearable. They don't know that, though. All they see is a happy, energetic, overweight woman who would rather inconvenience them with a scooter than walk/stand just like everybody else. :headache:

I actually heard a comedienne recently talking about going to WDW, and people on scooters, or as she liked to call them "Fatso Transpo" and how inconsiderate and rude WE are!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I guess even in the happiest place on earth, people are still jerks. :(

I actually heard a comedienne recently talking about going to WDW, and people on scooters, or as she liked to call them "Fatso Transpo" and how inconsiderate and rude WE are!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I guess even in the happiest place on eather, people are still jerks. :(
That's especially sad that people would think that is funny.

I've been the recipient of many nasty looks while on my ECV, particularly when trying to manuever through tight corners in queues. Finding myself bearing the brunt of impatient sighs and rolling eyes often makes me feel so sad. I just don't understand why people feel the need to be so ugly. :confused3

It's especially bad when people see how seemingly easy I am able to leave the ECV and move around for a short while. I have Lupus and Fibro, which makes standing or walking for more than 10-15 minutes absolutely unbearable. They don't know that, though. All they see is a happy, energetic, overweight woman who would rather inconvenience them with a scooter than walk/stand just like everybody else. :headache:

I guess even in the happiest place on eather, people are still jerks. :(

:hug: Forget about the jerks and focus on the good folks.

I guess even in the happiest place on earth, people are still jerks. :(

I wonder how long you have been using a ECV. Not that it's any of my business, and please don't answer if you would rather not. The reason I am saying this is that when I first started pushing my daughter in a WC, everyone in the world was looking. I was very uncomfortable. Now, people hardly notice me. It wasn't everyone else who changed, but my perception of them changed. This change in me took about 2-3 years until I was truly comfortable with my DD needing to use a WC.

I wonder how long you have been using a ECV. Not that it's any of my business, and please don't answer if you would rather not. The reason I am saying this is that when I first started pushing my daughter in a WC, everyone in the world was looking. I was very uncomfortable. Now, people hardly notice me. It wasn't everyone else who changed, but my perception of them changed. This change in me took about 2-3 years until I was truly comfortable with my DD needing to use a WC.

It doesn't always have to do with experience. Unfortunately. Personally, I tend to not even notice if I stop traffic and cause a major accident. :rolleyes: My mom on the other hand? Oh boy, does she notice each and every look, comment and perhaps even what people are thinking. After almost 10 years of wheelchairs, I'm pretty doubtfull that she'll ever get past this stage. :sad2:

I just returned from my second trip using an ECV. I rent offisite when at Disney and don't use one at home. I felt like I was doing pretty good negotiating crowds and stuff - I did have trouble getting through traffic jams because I guess I'm not loud enough. Being down lower in the seat, and back further because of the length of the ECV, and the people in the way being distracted by whatever it is that made them stop usually don't hear me say "excuse me" so then I have to change course and try to go around them. My son on the other hand will see that I'm "stuck" and will say (none to subtley) "That's what you have the horn for" That usually gets people to look around to see what he's talking about and notice that I'm back there. Mostly they are apologetic, and I totally understand - my kid (he's 16 and impatient) doesn't. My hubby and kids have the "run 'em down" attitude - so it's a good thing that I am the one using the ECV and not them! I figure I will get where I am going eventually. Honestly, I haven't noticed too much "bad" behavior when I'm on the ECV - I notice a lot of "oblivious" behavior. But I notice that from my hubby all the time. He is always in his own little world - and he's probably the guy who looks right through you and walks in front of you anyway whether you are on foot or on wheels, because he honestly does not see or hear anything but what he's got his mind on. I figure there are probably a lot of people just like him

Wel my family of 7 have been planning our trip for months now and today my dad informed me that they want to come.
We have been to Disneyland many time when I was growning up but it has always been their dreams to see my kids in Disney as they know all too well what the magic of this place does for the kids and the adults.
We are already booked at CBR resort which we have never stayed at and I know this is a huge resort. I am concerned because my mom has a really hard time walking.
She can get around but its hard for her and it takes her a lot longer then the rest of us naturally.
She does use a cane but as I said she gets around ok.
I am just worried that she won't be able to keep up. My dad also has a broken back but to look at him you would think there is nothing wrong with him.
I am going to be joining their reservation to ours Tuesday morning but I am concerned that they won't be able to join us on our ADR as I already did them too.
I need to know, well what I need to know to make this trip as easy & fun for them as I can. I have never been to Disney with someone who has a hard time getting around.
What are some things I can do in advance to help make this trip easier on them. I want my children to enjoy themselves too after all we only go away once every 5 years so this trip is important to them too. I don't want them to miss out anything but I want to include my parents as much as possiable.
Please advise, what do I need to do and what do I need to know?

I'd suggest asking them to consider using ECVs - power mobility scooters.
CBR is a very large resort and you are right to consider how they will keep up at you. If you rent ECVs from an off-site company, they will have them to use in the parks and at the resort.
If they don't want to rent 2 ECVs, maybe they would consider renting one and sharing - one rides while the other gets off and walks for a while. If you do that, one could rent in the parks.

If you have not checked out the disABILITIES FAQs thread, I'd suggest starting there - post #2 of that thread is about renting wheelchairs and ECVs.

I'd suggest asking them to consider using ECVs - power mobility scooters.
CBR is a very large resort and you are right to consider how they will keep up at you. If you rent ECVs from an off-site company, they will have them to use in the parks and at the resort.
If they don't want to rent 2 ECVs, maybe they would consider renting one and sharing - one rides while the other gets off and walks for a while. If you do that, one could rent in the parks.

If you have not checked out the disABILITIES FAQs thread, I'd suggest starting there - post #2 of that thread is about renting wheelchairs and ECVs.

If you decide to rent an ECV from offsite, remember that there are no elevators at CBR, so be sure to request a bottom floor and have the CM put on the request that your party will have an ECV.

I just had to mention that there are some inconsiderate ECV drivers, just as there are inconsiderate walkers. I've seen many ECVers weaving in and out of high traffic areas where there isn't a lot of room even for the walkers. Just because the ECVs go faster than some walk, doesn't give anyone the right to "push through". I'm not generalizing and saying that's the norm either, but I have been annoyed by ECV drivers trying to make a path where there is none, thinking people should move. They should move at the pace of traffic like everyone else.

I recall chuckling with my wife about having 20 ECVs around us in the Nemo aquarium with my wife, as they were barrelling around the exhibit.

Certainly not saying that is the norm, I just wanted to provide a different side of things. Renting an ECV for my mom (73 year old) on our next trip, will be interesting to see if we get any looks.

Sometimes, there is no path for the ECV. There are a lot of high traffic areas at WDW. You can wait forever and NO ONE will let you through.

Sometimes, there is no path for the ECV. There are a lot of high traffic areas at WDW. You can wait forever and NO ONE will let you through.

But, if everyone is going in the same direction (say, towards the buses at the end of the night), are you expecting people to get out of your way?

I would totally get out of your way if I was standing there and you needed to get by. However, if we were both moving in the same direction and I happened to be in front of you, I wouldn't think that you expected me to move and probably wouldn't. I mean if you started honking at me, I'd move (but I wouldn't have thought of it myself, and, to be honest, I'd be confused as to why you expected me to move). Given that I walk quickly (i.e. no slower than the speed of traffic) I wouldn't expect a walker (again, going in the same direction in a crowd) to expect me to let them go by either (in most circumstances) - not that I walk in a way to purposefully block people.

But, if everyone is going in the same direction (say, towards the buses at the end of the night), are you expecting people to get out of your way?

I would totally get out of your way if I was standing there and you needed to get by. However, if we were both moving in the same direction and I happened to be in front of you, I wouldn't think that you expected me to move and probably wouldn't. I mean if you started honking at me, I'd move (but I wouldn't have thought of it myself, and, to be honest, I'd be confused as to why you expected me to move). Given that I walk quickly (i.e. no slower than the speed of traffic) I wouldn't expect a walker (again, going in the same direction in a crowd) to expect me to let them go by either (in most circumstances) - not that I walk in a way to purposefully block people.

Granted. Don't worry, none of us here are asking for preferential treatment, it's just the people who leap (not always an exaggeration!) in front of me that get me annoyed. I think one of the problems is that, when on wheels, it's sensible to leave a bit of space between you and the person in front, so you don't run up their heels if they stop suddenly :scared1:. Unfortunately, there are some people (nobody here, I'm sure) who see this breaking distance as a nice gap for them to use to get an extra foot further forward. I have before been separated from my partner in a crowd, because of all the people pushing in front, even though we were one behind the other at the start of the crowd. Once we're split up, it's hard for him to find me again, because I'm so low down!

But yes, most people on foot are perfectly considerate, just like most of us on wheels. It's just the few bad eggs in each group that get the bad reputation :sad2:

I never expect preferential treatment when I am on my scooter, but I do expect common courtesy. One night when we stayed for the fireworks and tried to work our way out, going in the same general direction as everyone else, I kept getting held up. Maybe there would be a group standing still and while the walking crowd can just flow around them, I can't just turn and go around them because the people coming up behind me don't slow down for me to do so - so it's either to cut them off or sit and wait. Or maybe its not even people standing there that makes me come to a standstill, maybe it is a trash can, or a pole - something that very obviously isn't going to get out of my way, but I don't have as much maneuverability as I would on two feet.

Mind you, I am not complaining - and I don't run people down - I do try to inch my way out and around, but if I am on foot and I do that and I accidentally step on your foot, it may hurt for a second, but if I accidentally "step" on it with my scooter, you are going to remember it for awhile - I don't want to do that to anyone so am trying to look in front of me, on both sides and behind me to make sure I don't hurt anyone while going through a crowd. For someone to say that we expect preferential treatment is just not so. My husband and kids actually wish I were more aggressive while on the scooter because they get tired of waiting for me to catch up when the crowd closes in front of me. :confused3

Hi to all!

I think that if you are in a ECV, you wouldn't have bothered with the expense unless you needed it! :)

That being said, I have been in and out of wheelchairs for the better part of this millennium, and I have gone to WDW using a scooter, manual wheelchair, and now an electric wheelchair of my very own. I have had a stroke and have other issues (lupus AC is one of those issues, and a mild case of RA is another). As I am in my 30's, I get all sorts of looks, not all of which are pleasant. Usually, I am too tired to care. The cast members are usually great and super helpful, but there are fellow visitors that can make the experience less fun, if I were to let them get to me.

My husband just says that I should run them over, b/c then they would know to not jump in front of my moving vehicle. I respectfully disagree. *giggle*

Truth be told, I have been to many other countries that do not have the same attitudes about personal space that we have in the US, and I keep having to remind myself that it is not always malice or pushy people, but an ingrained way of life that is not meant to offend but to be officiant and expedient. I know that when I last went into Oaxaca, I had a tremendously hard time because they do not have ADA standards for restrooms and buildings. In other places, I constantly get in the way near subways, and I am always slowing down the pace of elevator entrances and exits. I lead a slower-paced life now. This clashes with the lives of some other people. I just try to find the good in people. Most mean no harm, but are merely trying to work around me.

That being said, there are some people that are just in a bad mood and are rather rude...but these people can be found everywhere. Sometimes a smile or a hello softens their outlook or mood. You never know! :)

Keep on scooting and smiling!!! And may pixie dust line your path!! :wizard:

Your description matches my experiences. Since I haven't been in an ECV, I certainly don't have that perspective, and I'm sure it can be annoying to dodge around people. However, as a walker I constantly see them going quickly through the park and see annoyance on the drivers faces when they encounter "slow-moving" (or normal paced) walkers.

ECVs are there to allow equal enjoyment for all. There are those that must have the ECV and those that choose an ECV for comfort or age. The people in the ECVs should not expect to move quicker than the flow of traffic, and walkers should always be aware of ECVs and be courteous. People are always in a hurry to get to the attractions or buses fast, if you couldn't walk as fast as the ECV goes, why would you expect to weave in and out of people walking?

I think there is a reason that ECVs get a bad rep, and I don't think it's simply a one-sided issue.

Of course there are two sides - or even four sides ;) - good and bad ECV riders and good and bad non-riders. The look of disgust you may see on my face as I'm rolling through, is probably discomfort. Even though the ECV is a vacation-saver for me, sitting all that time is uncomfortable too. After awhile my back aches, which is why if there is a short line for something I will park it and go stand in line. Or the look of disgust could be aimed at my husband who walks ahead of me and then stops unexpectedly and turns around. I know he is doing it just to make sure I'm still nearby and didn't get caught in a traffic jam, but when he stops suddenly then I have to stop and if there are people behind me.....well it's a "fender bender" of sorts. I don't intentionally make faces of disgust when I come up on a crowd I am usually trying to anticipate where the openings will be by the time I get to them - sometimes you can see that a group is angling in a certain direction so you can aim for the other side of them, but other times they don't have a clue where they are going so you can't anticipate what they will do. If that scenario happened when walking you could side-step around them. On the scooter you either have to come to a sudden stop, or turn and hope there isn't someone in your blind spot when you move.
Maybe someday I will receive my kidney transplant, get my hip replacement, and be able to start walking at the parks again. But until then, I will be using my ECV, and instead of walking around enjoying the atmosphere and window shopping, I will be watching the people around me who are enjoying the atmosphere and window shopping to make sure I don't run in to any of them and become labeled as an inconsiderate ECV rider.:rolleyes1

I will be watching the people around me who are enjoying the atmosphere and window shopping to make sure I don't run in to any of them and become labeled as an inconsiderate ECV rider.:rolleyes1

I don't know, maybe we should play up to this stereotype, and go on a rampage around Disney!! :rotfl: I'll be there next week, anyone want to join me in flattening a few unsuspecting tourists? :lmao:

For anyone offended by this post, please see my signature; for anyone interested, please see me later :rotfl:

Thanks for the clarifications. I just wasn't sure, by the phrasing of some of the posts, who was expected to be getting out of the way.

There are definitely "good" and "bad" in both ECV users and pedestrians - just like there are "good" and "bad" drivers and cyclist (a currently raging topic in my home city).

When we were in Hollywood Studios last September there was a man in an ECV and my kids didn't see him and walked in front of him. They then realized he was there and moved out of his way and apologized to him. He thanked us told us that he had been at WDW for a week and we were the first people who actually showed him any consideration. That made me feel really sad for him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter