Just Back...Any questions?

peachgirl

DIS Veteran
We got in late yesterday evening from our trip. We were so tired that the luggage is still in the car, but we had a great time! I'll post a few highlights and be happy to answer any questions!

We were at DL 6/29-7/3.

Crowds: We only thought it crowded on the weekdays, Saturday gave a whole new definition to the word crowded! How to get around it? Use EE when you can. Get to the parks 1/2 hour before they open. Leave around lunchtime, then return late in the evening...and make use of the fastpass system!!!

We managed to get a perfect spot for the fireworks...right at the top of the hub as everyone else has reported is a great spot. I wouldn't get any closer than that. You can sit on the street right up to drawbridge area, but I think that is much too close and you'd miss some of the fireworks because the castle would block your view.

It's really very odd, but all the people who sit at the top of the hub sit down! We didn't see one person standing in front of us...no dads with kiddies on their shoulders! However, if you just look to either side..everyone is standing.

Because that's not the best spot to view the parade, it doesn't fill up as fast and it's very possible to get there just as the late parade is ending and find a spot without much trouble. If you want to watch the parade, you can see it just fine, but it doesn't pass right in front of you so you'll have some crowds blocking your view slightly.

A tip for Blue Bayou water view fans....If you get an 11:30 PS, you're virtually guaranteed a water view table. According to the CM we checked in with for our PS, they have 13 tables available for a water view. They fill those tables first with 11:30 PS's and when they're full, so is the 11:30 time slot. Of course they won't say you're guaranteed a water view even you have an 11:30 PS, but that's the way they do it.

A note about food....We never ate anywhere that we didn't think the portions were HUGE! We started splitting plates everywhere we went...right down to sharing our corndogs with each other (what can I say, we're a close group!!;)). Honestly, it had nothing to do with saving money...we just couldn't eat that much food at one sitting.

Btw...The best deal going is the ESPN Zone freebies! There were 4 of us and we all had signed up. Between us, we had $80 in vouchers, got 4 ESPN Zone coolers and $40 worth of game play. We also each had $10 in game play from our passes.

The fine print on the vouchers says that it's one voucher per person, tax not included, but our waitress (without us asking) allowed us to combine our meal and just use as many of the vouchers as we needed. She also included the tax...so other than the tip, the meal was completely free.

We have 4 adults. 3 of us ordered entree's and one ordered an appetizer. We also got a couple of desserts to share. The total bill was just under $60, so we used 3 vouchers and left a cash tip. We used the remaining $20 voucher to buy the sports nut in our group a Tshirt!

We could have easily "spent" less for lunch. Again, the portions were huge and we could have easily spent less by splitting plates. Still, it was free and the food was excellent.

We discovered several "hidden" perks to staying onsite. We stayed at the GC. DCA opens 1/2 hour before their stated opening time but if you're staying at the GC, they have a very short guided tour that they do just before the early opening. If you get to the GC DCA entry gates 20 minutes or so before the early opening, there is a CM who will take those who are there on a quick tour of the front of the park. After the tour, and before anyone else has been allowed into the park you get to ride Soarin!

It was so great! Front row, center seats for Soarin!!! Don't miss taking advantage of this if you can.

Also, definitely use the guest resort line for the monorail...much shorter than the line that forms in DL at the regular line!

We did get to ride Space Mountain! On Saturday, after going to ToonTown Morning Madness, we were headed out of the park to go to DCA and stopped to check out SM and see if they were going to open again. There was a line of about 20 people and the CM's were standing our front. They said they had no idea if and when it would open, but we figured they don't put the CM's out there for nothing so we got in line. It was about 1 hour, but they did finally open!

Ok...enough for now, I could write forever and not tell everything!

Any questions?

Same question I ask everyone who's there this summer-did you get to see the Disney All American College Band perform? They're in red, white, and blue and play at the Flag Retreat Ceremony (as well as other times).

If this is the band that plays just before the parade starts, we did. We didn't see the flag retreat ceremony though.

Whoever the band was, we thought they played very well...it was quite impressive!

peachgirl said:
We have 4 adults. 3 of us ordered entree's and one ordered an appetizer. We also got a couple of desserts to share. The total bill was just under $60, so we used 3 vouchers and left a cash tip. We used the remaining $20 voucher to buy the sports nut in our group a Tshirt!
So, are the vouchers good for merchandise and food? For some reason I was thinking they were only for food. I was planning for the 4 adults in our family to sign up and then redeem the vouchers, but only DS13 and I are planning to eat and play there while the rest of the group is at MM. We will only need one $20 voucher for food so it would be great if we could get some souveniers too.

You can use the vouchers for any purchase at ESPN zone......merchandise, game points or food.

Unless you're really big eaters, seriously consider splitting an entree and splurging on the yummy desserts . My sister's fiance got a triple cheeseburger and he couldn't begin to even eat half of it. Considering that he's 6'4" tall and checks in at about 240 pounds.....well, that ought to explain just how huge it was!

We ate lunch at ESPN last week, it was great food but like Peachgirl said Huge portions... We used our $20 vouchers for the meal, ESPN took both vouchers for the food so it was all free except the tip, the best deal around DL. The service there was also Awesome !!!!

That is such a great deal! DS is a sports nut so we plan to spend the afternoon there and share a meal (with dessert!) before heading to the Angels game.

Thanks for the report, sounds like you had a great time! :goodvibes

and how do I go about getting some? We are heading there in September and that sounds like a great thing. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter