Just back! DD's bday visit 10/18- 10/22 Photo added 10/29

J'aime Paris

Living happily ever after
We spent Wednesday-Monday in WDW for DD's 20th birthday celebration.
Stayed at the Polynesian Resort (arrival night at Pop Century because Poly was booked full)
Went to MNSSHP on Fri. Oct. 19th

Resort: Pop Century refurbished room was really nice! Fold down bed was comfortable. It was perfectly acceptable for 4 people for one night. Would have been too tight for an entire vacation, in my opinion.

Polynesian---we were on the first floor in the Niue building. Wonderful location for us! Steps away from GCH to refill our mugs. Super close to the bus stops. And quite close to both pools.
Our room was very clean, no complaints!

Dining: Our best dining experience was at Biergarten Restaurant in Epcot. We thoroughly enjoyed the buffet, beer and entertainment! We were seated with a very nice family from Orlando, and had a nice chat with them.

Food & Wine festival at Epcot was a ZOO on Saturday, so we left early. Way too hot and crowded...not enjoyable for us. (Clearly others didn't mind, since they stayed, lol!)
Less crowds on Sunday, but still busy. The Pomegranate beer was our favorite beverage we sampled!

BOG, Rose&Crown, Columbia Harbour House, and Captain Cook's were a few of the other places we ate meals. Decent, average food for high prices. Not terrible, no standouts.

MNSSHP: We had a blast! We were dressed as the Teal Monorail, and got literally hundreds of comments/compliments!! DD had made our costumes. She did a great job!

It was busy, but very manageable! We went for photos with the 7 Dwarves almost right away. The posted time was 40 minutes, but more like 20 min for us.

The rides also had less wait times than during the day. Some more popular than others, naturally.
We were able to get a good parade spot about 20 min before it began.
We stayed put and had a snack while waiting for the fireworks. Worked out perfectly!

Transportation: Using the boat that goes from Poly to MK to GF and back to Poly was a lifesaver!!!!! After MNSSHP, we were able to board the first boat! The lines for monorails, the ferry (and other boats) and the buses were loooong!
The walking path to the TTC also provided a nonstop monorail ride to Epcot.
And the buses for the other parks only shared with GF.
We were very happy with the transportation, and experience low wait times consistently.

Parks: FOP was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!

The rest of our park experiences was just meh, if I'm being honest.

We've been coming to WDW yearly, or several times a year since 2001 when my DD was almost 3, and this trip was her 20th bday celebration.
I feel we are seasoned WDW vets. We've visited almost every month of the year. Stayed at most of the resorts, at all levels.

The combination of crowds and FP+ has diminished our park experience.
We felt at times that we literally couldn't breathe, couldn't move amongst the crowds.
And I've never gotten used to the FP+ system. I don't like planning my days so far ahead to ride the headliners. I suppose I'm stuck in my ways of the old FP system.

And the refresh/modify strategy on MDE did NOT work at all during this busy time. I read about the strategies extensively, and had zero success. Was never willing to wait in the long lines for SDD, so we never rode it. Looks cute though!

Cast Members: All of our cast member interactions were positive. They were all upbeat, and DD heard Happy Birthday many, many times!!

Conclusion: We spent more time at the pool than any previous vacation, mostly due to the crowds in the parks. We also did more shopping at other resorts and the boardwalk area to also avoid the parks.
Maybe next time we will consider a resort only stay???

We absolutely had a fantastic vacation!!!!
1. We spent time together as a family.
2. DD got to have a well deserved rest/recharge after her college midterms.
3. The weather was hot and gorgeous, we got sun kissed while lounging at the pool.
And it snowed while we were gone back home in Wisconsin!

Last edited:
I enjoyed reading your mini trip report. Glad to hear you had a fantastic vacation. I would love to see a photo of your Teal Monorail costumes, if possible. What a clever idea!

Our best dining experience was at Biergarten Restaurant in Epcot. We thoroughly enjoyed the buffet, beer and entertainment!

We love it there, too!!:)

We were dressed as the Teal Monorail, and got literally hundreds of comments/compliments!! DD had made our costumes. She did a great job!

That sounds amazing! Would love to see pictures!

: FOP was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is an awesome ride!!

Glad you had a wonderful trip!:thumbsup2

I've tried to add a photo, but I keep getting an error message. Says my file is too large.
I don't know how to adjust/fix that.
Sorry!

I've tried to add a photo, but I keep getting an error message. Says my file is too large.
I don't know how to adjust/fix that.
Sorry!
Sometimes I have luck emailing the picture to myself and choosing "Small" or "Medium" file size before sending. Then it's usually ok to upload.

We were there at the same time, for the same reason (and pretty much have the same history!). My kids were turning 21, though! We did food and wine and the Halloween party, too. The weather was almost unbearably hot and humid on Thurs/Fri, I thought, especially standing in the sun waiting for boats (or losing your spot!). Sunday was much better. On our rails tour (lol) we went over to the Poly and thought it was awfully crazy and crowded. (But beautiful! Love nighttime when the torches are lit!)

Biggest issue for us was that technically, drivers licenses expire on midnight of the birth date. So they had some difficulty with being served on their birthday and beyond. They didn't want to get junior oriented licenses (which are vertical, I believe) before they left, and it would've cost $50 or something like that to change them later, so they stuck with their originals. (Plus I'd read here that people said they generally didn't have any issues.) Disney considers it a "gray area" but often errs on the side of caution. Fortunately it wasn't everywhere. (So remember that for next year!)

Glad to hear you had a good trip, thanks for the report. Main restaurant we ate at was Trail's End, and it was good, as usual. We thought the burgers and other sandwiches at Roaring Forks were good, too. Last trip we ate at Biergarten and enjoyed it, as well. This time at F&W we just nibbled around the world, including a bratwurst w sauerkraut at Germany. Oh, and we liked the pomegranate beer, too! There were some drinks at the pizza window in Italy that we enjoyed, too, including the Limoncello one, my fave, and the Peach Bellini! Yum!

I enjoyed reading your mini trip report. Glad to hear you had a fantastic vacation. I would love to see a photo of your Teal Monorail costumes, if possible. What a clever idea!

We love it there, too!!:)

That sounds amazing! Would love to see pictures!

It is an awesome ride!!

Glad you had a wonderful trip!:thumbsup2

Sometimes I have luck emailing the picture to myself and choosing "Small" or "Medium" file size before sending. Then it's usually ok to upload.

We were there at the same time, for the same reason (and pretty much have the same history!). My kids were turning 21, though! We did food and wine and the Halloween party, too. The weather was almost unbearably hot and humid on Thurs/Fri, I thought, especially standing in the sun waiting for boats (or losing your spot!). Sunday was much better. On our rails tour (lol) we went over to the Poly and thought it was awfully crazy and crowded. (But beautiful! Love nighttime when the torches are lit!)

Biggest issue for us was that technically, drivers licenses expire on midnight of the birth date. So they had some difficulty with being served on their birthday and beyond. They didn't want to get junior oriented licenses (which are vertical, I believe) before they left, and it would've cost $50 or something like that to change them later, so they stuck with their originals. (Plus I'd read here that people said they generally didn't have any issues.) Disney considers it a "gray area" but often errs on the side of caution. Fortunately it wasn't everywhere. (So remember that for next year!)

Glad to hear you had a good trip, thanks for the report. Main restaurant we ate at was Trail's End, and it was good, as usual. We thought the burgers and other sandwiches at Roaring Forks were good, too. Last trip we ate at Biergarten and enjoyed it, as well. This time at F&W we just nibbled around the world, including a bratwurst w sauerkraut at Germany. Oh, and we liked the pomegranate beer, too! There were some drinks at the pizza window in Italy that we enjoyed, too, including the Limoncello one, my fave, and the Peach Bellini! Yum!

Thank you for your replies!!
Finally got a photo posted, thanks to pea-n-me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter