Just Back, first trip with MBs and FP+

BuzzinDownToDisney

DIS Veteran
Just getting my first chance to share some details I observed around the theme parks during our trip from 8/25-9/1 staying at BLT with a 3yo son and elderly parents. There was good, bad and ugly, but mostly good.

Good:

New Fantasyland. I know it has taken some hits here, but NFL was easily my son's favorite section of the park. We spent more time there than anywhere else combined. It feels more open and I really like a lot of the architecture. Kinda wish they had nuked the merch tent and kept the Toon Town houses, but overall I loved this area.

SDMT. Again, if you're a thrill seeker, this isn't for you. If you have a 38.5 inch child who just barely makes the height, it was awesome. I get people feel it is too short, but after riding Barnstormer it felt like Small World in length. It is far and away the smoothest coaster I've ever ridden. One major word of advice though. If traveling with a child hold your hand behind their head as you begin your initial climb. There is a sudden jolt that slammed my kid's head back into the seat pretty violently. I padded it on every ride after and he was fine.

SDMT FP availability. This was a huge concern for me because he loved it day 1 and I had no more FPs for it the rest of the trip. I was able to log on every single night after 10pm and easily find availabilities for the next day. 3 days I was able to find overlapping times, one day I broke up the group which worked better because he rode with Mom and I in the morning, then Grandpa in the afternoon using Grandma's MB.

MBs: I loved the ease of having them. I hate having my pockets full so having no keys or wallet was great. Our MBs worked perfect for every FP, shopping, room entry and park entry all week. My only complaint about them is so many people do not understand how to line them up that there were times you got very backed up at park entry because folks didn't know what they were doing.

MM Photographers: These CMs were awesome. Always quick with a cool photo suggestion, magic shot offer or general theme park advice. One day we were just finishing up a magic shot and out CM told us to stay where we were and we'd see a parade and dance party featuring all the big characters. We had no idea this was happening and it was one of my favorite moments of the trip as my son got to see Woody and Jessie for the first time.

CMS in general: Had some great conversations with them. Saw very few that seemed to be there just for the paycheck. The majority of them were into their gig. I was particularly impressed with the ones working the FP return MB kiosks at rides. So many people either pretending to have a FP or not knowing how to use FP and the CMs I saw handled them really well and with a smile.

Bad:
Weekend crowd level. We booked this trip expecting the heat but hopefully offsetting it with low crowd levels. This worked Wednesday-Friday, but Saturday and Sunday were insane at the MK. Granted there were EMH both days making them not recommended, however I never thought it would be so crowded. 40 minutes for Barnstormer crowded. Over at Epcot it took 40 minutes to get through a FP line for Soarin. That was a killer to our touring.

Broke down rides: Seems every time I turned around a ride was broken down. Space Mountain, Pirates, SDMT (At RD no less), TSMM (Also at RD), Muppets 3D, Star Tours, Test Track (With me on it 20 yards from the exit had to wait 30 minutes to be evacuated), Under the Sea (Rode 4 times, stopped for at least 5 minutes each time), Expedition Everest (Closed the whole morning I was at AK) and on and on. Seems they had an unusually high number of breakdowns every day. The only good thing was it gave us TSMM and SDMT FPs good for any other time of day.

Character Meet and Greet locations. It's great they have moved the Fab 5 and Princesses indoors, but the Woody & Jessie and Tigger & Pooh locations felt like standing on the surface of the sun. These are the slowest moving lines in the whole park as each child gets time to interact with them, the least they can do is throw up some fans. At least Buzz' spot is completely in the shade. Brutal.

The Ugly:
MDE website and app. It was 100% useless in the parks. Could not access it at all via cellular or wifi. Because of this I want to condemn FP+ but I can't because had the site worked I think I would have loved FP+. The problem was it was not possible to do anything on it. With our party split so often between bigger rides and kiddie rides it was tough to keep track of all of it. End result was we wasted FPs for TSMM and SDMT and I didn't even realize it till it was too late. Another example was while waiting on the Pooh M&G my kid decided he wanted to ride the ride after. Simple, we had a throwaway FP for Under the Sea the next hour, I could just log on and switch the experience, right? Nope! No access to your FPs, just error messages aplenty. Infuriating because if the technology worked, it would have made for a flawless day.

DHS Rope Drop and Frozen problems. I was very concerned about the RD procedure at DHS prior to my trip and sure enough, I had reason to. The surge to TSMM was insane, I had one psycho woman try to squeeze her double stroller into a one foot gap between my DW and my stroller, and when she could she started clipping my tires till the wheels got intertwined. Had my son not been strapped in, he would have flown out face first. It was ugly. All that fighting only to arrive at TSMM and it was broken down :rotfl2: However they did get it functioning by 9:15 and we were done by 9:30, so I guess I was good at being a fighter :confused3

My bigger problem was what the Frozen fireworks do to DHS. Let's face it, there is not much to do at this park as far as rides go. We had a Fantasmic Dinner at 5:30 at Brown Derby (Best meal of the trip, BTW) and it started pouring just prior to it. We were holding out hope so we went to Muppets 3D and Star Tours after then started walking over to the ampitheater. Problem was every street back there was blocked off already so they made us walk around the entire park to get there. Fortunately at 8:20 the rain completely stopped.....in time for them to cancel Fantasmic at 8:25. We figured we'd make the most of it and ride a ride and see the fireworks, however upon trying to get to Great Movie ride we find that area was blocked off too. I asked the CM if any rides were open and she replied ToT and RaRC. So there were no rides available to any child under 44 inches after 8pm at a Disney World park. That is the biggest sign that DHS needs to be gutted and completely reimagined. We managed to avoid all the Frozen stuff except the Opening Show all day, but this really put a damper on the night.

Overall though we had an amazing trip, BLT was excellent, had some great meals and really enjoyed the time with family. Might even attempt one of those wacky trip reports myself when I get more than a few minutes.

:thumbsup2

I think you had been very even-handed in your expectations prior to your trip, so I was curious to know how things went for you. Thanks for the report.

Thanks for the review.....:thumbsup2.....especially liked the part on the photographers. We have MM for our upcoming Sept trip. Nice to know they're into the special photos.

Doug :goofy:

Thats too bad about MDE. I pretty much agree with you, and park Wifi in general. We were there a one day overlap with you, and we lucked out a little more with rides not being down, but I was never able to get a SDMT FP at all, before or during our trip. We waited standby twice, about an hour. I have Iphone, do you? Were you using a laptop to get your FP+ after 10pm?

Thanks for the report! I had seen some of your posts while you were planning, so it's good to hear how it all turned out.

MB - lining up - they should have a practice Mickey head at the resorts! I haven't been yet, but see a lot of comments like this. How hard can it be? (Says the woman who will undoubtedly be the doofus lining it up wrong at least once) ;)

Did you do any other character meals or ADRs worth mentioning?

Great write up. I have a little one about your son's age and we are going Sept 20-26. We've been lots of times to WDW but this will be our first with a child and our first with MBs and FP+. A bit nervous about coordinating it all

It's funny...we were there at the same time as you, I thought crowds were extremely light (including Saturday the 30th in the MK), we didn't experience any ride breakdowns at all, and I didn't have any problems with MDE except on one evening. Granted, I didn't use MDE much anyway because the ride lines were so short, and I still write everything down so I didn't have to refer to it.

I do agree that the Frozen opening show has turned RD into a total mess at DHS. We had an early H&V reservation, which gave us a front-of-the-rope spot for the JTA line, so it worked out for us, but there was plenty of pushing and shoving and angry people in that line, too.

Glad you had a good time overall! Loved our BLT stay...it's impossible to be that location!

Glad you had fun! We were there right before you I think, the crowds were really low but we left on Thursday before Labor Day weekend.

Thats too bad about MDE. I pretty much agree with you, and park Wifi in general. We were there a one day overlap with you, and we lucked out a little more with rides not being down, but I was never able to get a SDMT FP at all, before or during our trip. We waited standby twice, about an hour. I have Iphone, do you? Were you using a laptop to get your FP+ after 10pm?

I was generally using an iPad on my resort wifi. I was going in through the site though, not the app.

Thanks for the report! I had seen some of your posts while you were planning, so it's good to hear how it all turned out.

MB - lining up - they should have a practice Mickey head at the resorts! I haven't been yet, but see a lot of comments like this. How hard can it be? (Says the woman who will undoubtedly be the doofus lining it up wrong at least once) ;)

Did you do any other character meals or ADRs worth mentioning?

We did a bunch of fun ADRs. Starting with Chef Mickey (Here's a thread I started about that experience: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3322256

Also we did Crystal Palace pre-RD breakfast which was good. Also did Tusker House pre-RD breakfast which was great, Daisy was a star at it and the food was the best breakfast I had. Always loved Garden Grill, still do. Chip and Dale are positively hilarious. However the one experience I had that I will never forget was Cinderella's Royal Table. I booked this solely for my Mom who has always wanted to see the inside, and it became the highlight of the week for my son. Here's what I posted about it on a DisBoards August FB page:

So we booked CRT for my Mom because she always wanted to see it. I was happy for her, but a bit leery. Didn't want my little guy to feel weird in his Mickey t-shirt surrounded by a bunch of girls in princess outfits, also he has no idea who Aurora and Jasmine are and is only vaguely aware of Snow White.
Did not matter at all. The second we met Cinderella I got my first glimpse of what it will look like when my 3 year old is old enough to have a crush. He was so taken with her and she with him, I didn't even want to interrupt them for a family photo (This is done before you walk upstairs to dinner.) that alleviated my fears somewhat, then a princess named Snow White arrived at our table and smashed all my fears. She had a real conversation with him debating the merits of each Dwarf, talked about his school and why he likes going to the park back home. My son is very outgoing but this was something new, this was him connecting with someone in 10 minutes (yup she spent that long with him) on a very deep level.
Aurora and Jasmine were great, but as I suspected he wasn't too into them (Plus he was wearing a huge lipstick kiss on his cheek when they walked up, lol. The he saw her face (Picture the Beatles song popping into his head, now he's a believer) Princess Ariel. He only started watching Little Mermaid a month ago and he really likes it, but mostly for Sebastian. This is no longer the case. If he only remembers one thing this trip it will be the near 30 minutes (over 3 different table visits) she spent with him. The conversations were bubbly (How fast can Flounder swim) to serious (Do you still see Sebastian a lot) to everything in between. She kept hugging him and at one point looked up at me and said "Can I please just stay with him all night?" Then she would be greeting tables on the other side of the dining room and run to our table to just receive the kisses he was blowing her.
There were aspects of this trip I was nervous that would turn me into an emotional mess, and surprisingly the suspects did not today. However during this encounter I had more than a few trickle out and my wife was damn close to a full on ugly face cry.
What I experienced tonight was the definition of Disney Magic at its finest, and I fully plan on printing this post out and sending it the proper Disney feedback email account because they did not only make my son feel comfortable, they made him feel like the most special person in the room.
Oh and Ariel made sure her lipstick mark was bigger than Snow White's!

Aww, it sounds like your son had an amazing trip! Thanks for the honest and even-keeled report. :thumbsup2

It's funny...we were there at the same time as you, I thought crowds were extremely light (including Saturday the 30th in the MK), we didn't experience any ride breakdowns at all, and I didn't have any problems with MDE except on one evening. Granted, I didn't use MDE much anyway because the ride lines were so short, and I still write everything down so I didn't have to refer to it.

Glad you had a good time overall! Loved our BLT stay...it's impossible to be that location!

Saturday we didn't make it to MK till 10pm. From 10-12 it was insanity, supposedly it emptied out for the EMHs nicely just after midnight. AK that morning was empty, but when we were leaving around 11 it was getting packed. Epcot that afternoon was about a 4. DHS for dinner that night was pleasantly empty. It was only MK we noticed the swarm.

The ride breakdowns were odd. Pirates was down almost all of Sunday late afternoon/evening. Maybe the whole thing was more glaring because the had SDMT and TSMM down during our RDs there. One funny thing was when they finally opened SDMT around 9:30 they had a tall CM stand with his hand over the standby wait time for the initial few minutes it was open. Guess they didn't want to mislead anyone (Although the line being stretched around the mountain should have made anyone realize they weren't getting a 10 minute wait :rotfl:)

Saturday we didn't make it to MK till 10pm. From 10-12 it was insanity, supposedly it emptied out for the EMHs nicely just after midnight. AK that morning was empty, but when we were leaving around 11 it was getting packed. Epcot that afternoon was about a 4. DHS for dinner that night was pleasantly empty. It was only MK we noticed the swarm.

AH, so that explains it. We were there from RD until right after the 3:00 parade, then took a nice long break and got back to the park around 8:45, then stayed until just after 1:00 a.m.. We walked right in to meet Tink (no wait) when we arrived at the park and then headed to FL to eat dinner (Finally! At 9 p.m.! Call me MOTY!) and then did stuff back there. We cut through the shops on Main Street and then Tomorrowland to avoid most of the parade crowd. We didn't watch MSEP (other than the glances we caught while walking up Main Street) and didn't watch Wishes (my 4 year old doesn't like fireworks), so we avoided Main Street for most of the night. If you arrived at 10:00, you were caught right in the Wishes crush, which explains why our experiences were so different that day. Earlier in the day, the park was practically empty.

CRT Oh you have me on the verge of full on ugly face cry When you push aside all the crap this is what it's all about !

CRT Oh you have me on the verge of full on ugly face cry When you push aside all the crap this is what it's all about !

Amazing experience! I've spent over 50 days in the MK and this was the single best experience I've ever had there from a magical perspective. As I type this he is eating his dinner with his sword from CRT tucked under his arm. I feel like he'll never be letting that go, lol.

Thanks for the update on your trip. Your CRT experience sounds amazing!!! I'm glad you were able to make so many wonderful memories!

OMG! Your post about CRT instantly brought me back 16 years!! We brought my cute little redhead 3 year old for his first trip to Disney and had an almost identical experience with Snow White!! We still have the photo of his HUGE smile and lipstick printed face! It is one of our happiest memories!! Reading your post out loud to my husband brought us both to tears! Thank you for sharing!!

OMG! Your post about CRT instantly brought me back 16 years!! We brought my cute little redhead 3 year old for his first trip to Disney and had an almost identical experience with Snow White!! We still have the photo of his HUGE smile and lipstick printed face! It is one of our happiest memories!! Reading your post out loud to my husband brought us both to tears! Thank you for sharing!!

This made my day! Thanks Cammie! Those princesses really know how to charm :thumbsup2

Me, too!! My son was 2 1/2 on our first trip and we had a similar experience with Snow White at Akershus. DD, then 4, was the princess crazy one, but DS was the star of the show that meal with his red lipstick print- she even held his hand and let him help her lead the parade! He went around all day showing CMs where Snow White kissed him! Such a great memory. I loved hearing yours, too!

We left the day after you arrived. Great report!
I did not encounter any issues with MDE or wifi in the parks. There was one day, I tried logging in while going through bag check at MK, could not get on, then when went through the Scan the finger Scan was not working, just the Mickey to Mickey. Then walking down Main Street I was able to log on. It made me wonder if these systems were some how entwined. Or just coincidence.
We had a party of 9, 2 parents, 2 grandparents and 5 kids (16, 14, 12, 8 and 5), so we had quite the variety of who would ride what rides. I scheduled all fast passes together, if we had those who did not ride, we just gave the magic bands to those who wished to ride again, worked great.

We encountered the same type rope drop issues at DHS, except with parents running for Jedi Training, it was a nightmare and 45 minutes into it, we got out of the line (well dh and 2 young ones). The Grandparents waited and watched and they encountered many angry parents yelling at their hot and tired children and at CM's for such a terrible set up. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter