• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Back... Fresh Takes

I can also do a full day at AK and, in fact, spent 2 full days there last time. Guess it depends on the guest's mind set. Are they interested mainly in rides or do they want to watch the animals and shows?

I think that FP+ has made these parks seem worse. When trying to prebook FPs, it is really noticeable how little there is to choose from, especially because of the tiering. And of course having stuff like Captain EO, the Muppets and Figment as options doesn't help that perception. AK is a bit better, at least there isn't tiering.
Agree .. you definitely see how little attractions there are .. especially when "show heavy" parks like DHS Fast Passes aren't really needed at all in most crowds.

AK - There are 9 attractions to get fast passes for (one of which is a meet & greet and 3 are shows)
DHS - Has 13 - More than half are shows ..
Epcot - Has 11 attractions you can get a Fast Pass for - (less than DHS!)

MK has more than the other three combined I think .. and thus the system works well there.

The tiering system does kill it for DHS and Epcot .. mainly because anything worth fast passing is in Tier 1. I have no idea what to pick for my Fast Passes for my DHS day coming up .. EVERYTHING I would consider getting FP+ for is Tier 1. Everything. The others you don't need passes for at all.

On our last trip I was disappointed to discover that some of our favorite "tier 2" rides were now considered "tier 1". Specifically Living with the Land in Epcot and Great Movie Ride in DHS. I think they are stretching to make it seem like these are tier 1 so they have enough tier 1 FPs to go around.

I'm curious whether you tried to get in early for your ADRS, we were able to a few times last trip but I'm sure it varies.

Great report thanks!
We did try to get seated early for a couple of our ADRs. At Prime Time we showed up 30 minutes early and were told they could check us in 15 minutes early. At BOG lunch we showed up 15 minutes early and were told they could not check us in until 5 minutes before time.

How long were your too long FP waits? Thanks.
One particularly egregious example was 12 minutes for SSE. Admittedly it was during mid-morning, but that is all that made sense given the dingaling FP+ time slots and the painfully limited number f attractions at Epcot.

If you actually count up the rides and shows (things that have a FastPass queue) .. it is amazing how little there are to do at these parks compared to MK .. especially with how old they are. They've LOST multiple attractions instead of gaining them. They really should give you a free hopper pass to go to a non-MK park every time you go to one of these.

At least AK has some great atmosphere and "walking" attractions to see the animals (that I am sure a lot of people just skip over)

We skipped AK the last few trips, but sure enjoyed our return there last week. Had a great breakfast at Tusker House, rode what rides there are to ride, strolled the trails, had a slushie from Drinkwalla, saw Lion King show and ITTBAB, hugged a few characters and made it out well before closing. Glad we did because we needed the rest!

It is telling that AK has surpassed Epcot and DHS by essentially remaining the same over the last several years. People have been saying for years that the hesitancy to add new attractions will catch up to Disney, and it still hasn't yet. I wish them luck in keeping it going.

I meant to reply to this. I would not be happy to miss a major attraction because it was broke down during my FP+ window.
If we had not been able to ride TSMM I was considering going to guest services and throwing a righteous fit. Take TSMM out of the mix and I would not have considered going to DHS for the day. For the first time I can recall, I found myself wandering around Epcot and DHS thinking, "Some people actually paid $100 for this today?" Not that what is there is bad, but it is lacking in substance and quantity.

Having said all this, I would guess our next Orlando vacation will include a heavy dose of MK and Universal. If we return before Avatarland opens (and who are we kidding... of course we will be back before then) I see no reason not to pass on the dining plan and split time between the park we love and Universal which we have not visited in quite a while. Epcot, DHS, and AK just don't seem worth it for now.

*Please don't think this is a yage or a tirade against WDW. I am a pixie dust addict... a true fanboy. I love the place deeply, and eagerly look forward to the time when I can anxiously spend all my vacation money there.

One particularly egregious example was 12 minutes for SSE. Admittedly it was during mid-morning, but that is all that made sense given the dingaling FP+ time slots and the painfully limited number f attractions at Epcot.

Thanks for the response. I haven't used FP+ yet, but 12 minutes doesn't seem that bad to me. Maybe I just have low expectations.

Thanks for the response. I haven't used FP+ yet, but 12 minutes doesn't seem that bad to me. Maybe I just have low expectations.

Yeah, 12 minutes is a bit much for a FP wait. Ran into similar issue on Kilimanjaro Safaris and PotC

I have no idea what to pick for my Fast Passes for my DHS day coming up .. EVERYTHING I would consider getting FP+ for is Tier 1. Everything. The others you don't need passes for at all.

Tower of Terror is not Tier 1, and definitely worth it.

One time I waited in line for 4 hours...4 HOURS to ride the X Coaster at Magic Mountain. I can't even navigate my Facebook timeline in 12 minutes. Add in that FP is free...12 minutes would not be something I personally would get in a dander about.
BUT I can understand how it can be frustrating.

So what happens when you have a FP+ for a certain time but the ride goes down? Do you still get to ride or did you "miss your window?"
Also your time opens totally. For instance, with all the RnRc downtime last weekend, I got an email saying my FP had been updated. My time was still 6:15 but I had until 10pm closing to use it.

One time I waited in line for 4 hours...4 HOURS to ride the X Coaster at Magic Mountain. I can't even navigate my Facebook timeline in 12 minutes. Add in that FP is free...12 minutes would not be something I personally would get in a dander about.
BUT I can understand how it can be frustrating.

Not a dander about the 12 minutes, but I don't think this is what people expect with FPs.

I'm kind of worried about all of the construction going on and the AK construction in particular. How disruptive was it? AK was my favorite park back in the day because I enjoyed the open spaces to stroll around and appreciate the atmosphere. The idea of walls everywhere is kind of not fun.

I'm kind of worried about all of the construction going on and the AK construction in particular. How disruptive was it? AK was my favorite park back in the day because I enjoyed the open spaces to stroll around and appreciate the atmosphere. The idea of walls everywhere is kind of not fun.

My idea of disruptive may vary from yours. I found AK construction to be very noticeable but it did not distract much from our day there. Lots of construction walls around the area leading up to the Tree of Life. The one area that was pretty ugly IMO was the whole walk from the Yak & Yeti area down to Everest. The wall all along the right hand side made things feel cramped and -well -unmagical. Also there was a crew working and a crane (not in use) right in front of the Tree of Life as we walked in. I thought maybe they could have at least tried to cover up the equipment somewhat (ala the way they "hide" the crane behind the castle at MK while it is there during certain times of year)

The good news is the the walk around the base of Tree of Life offered some lovely views. Also the while Africa section was looking very nice.

Did not bother with Dinoland so can't comment on that.

Was at AK Sunday didn't think the construction was all that intrusive I disliked all the walls up around the castle in MK much more.
As for FP experience, it really depends on the attraction and what the stand-by wait is. For instance, Kali stand-by was 100 minutes and we waited in FP line for a good 30 to ride. Space mountain was much better stand-by was 70 minutes and we got in line, rode, and were off in less than 20.
My complaint is the need to use your FP (ticket or magic band) multiple times. I assume the reason is the prevent line jumping and I'm ok with that but maybe some signage and/or direction from CM's that you'll need it again so don't put it away in your wallet that's in your purse that's in your backpack etc this was really slowing lines down. Also, the people milling about right in front of FP entrance searching for their tickets ...grrrr

My idea of disruptive may vary from yours. I found AK construction to be very noticeable but it did not distract much from our day there. Lots of construction walls around the area leading up to the Tree of Life. The one area that was pretty ugly IMO was the whole walk from the Yak & Yeti area down to Everest. The wall all along the right hand side made things feel cramped and -well -unmagical. Also there was a crew working and a crane (not in use) right in front of the Tree of Life as we walked in. I thought maybe they could have at least tried to cover up the equipment somewhat (ala the way they "hide" the crane behind the castle at MK while it is there during certain times of year)

The good news is the the walk around the base of Tree of Life offered some lovely views. Also the while Africa section was looking very nice.

Did not bother with Dinoland so can't comment on that.

Thanks. This is actually comforting. We're planning to stay out of DTD altogether based on what we've been told by friends about construction there. I'm glad that AK isn't that bad (though I'd obviously prefer if they would hurry up and finish everything before my arrival.)

I'm curious whether you tried to get in early for your ADRS, we were able to a few times last trip but I'm sure it varies.

Great report thanks!
We did this at Chefs de France the week before Easter in 2012. We had met characters along our way and got to the restaurant about 45 minutes early and we were all kinda hungry, so I just went up to the podium and asked if they could fit us in earlier, and they walked us right in. I'm sure it isn't always possible but it never hurts to ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter