• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Back from 2 wks at SSR & BCV--a much too long review

jennypenny

DIS Veteran
Whew, 2 weeks is a long vacation. We've never taken one that long (anywhere) and I'm really having trouble adjusting to the real world. But I'll try and recap the trip. Now that we've visited SSR, we've stayed at every DVC except Vero, so I can judge a little. But I have to say we like what we like, and you like what you like, so TO EACH HIS OWN. Take what I say with a shaker of salt because everyone is different.

SSR: I didn't want to stay here, but my family wanted to try it so I was overruled. It was much more charming than I expected. The rooms weren't as stuffy as they looked in photos, and the main street and pool area were very nice. We stayed in a 1 bd in Congress with a view of DTD. Check in was smooth and we got our room at 10am. She said that they were trying to give people available rooms now instead of pre-assigning them. I found this to be the case at BCV also (got in our room at 11am). Manager told me the resort was at 50% capacity (he seemed disappointed by this) the week we were there (aug 6-12) and said they expected that number to drop for the following week. He said occupancy was down for those two weeks (aug 6-20) because many people were waiting for the free dining plan. When I questioned him on this because DVC members wouldn't use the dining plan because they already had accomodations he had no answer. I had a similar conversation at the BCV because they were also "light" the week we stayed there (aug 12-20).

Some positive notes: The rooms were not as stuffy as I thought, and the main street/pool area was charming. Community hall was fun, staff very nice, pool very nice, and the food at Artists Palette was tasty (and we like the non-fried food disney is trying to incorporate).

OK, now the other: Almost once a day we waited over an hour for a bus. I realize they were only at 50%, but that's no reason to make us stand for an hour in very hot weather. We saw other families having fits about the busses also. One poor family waited 1 1/2 hours for a bus to Blizzard Beach at lunch time. Definitely a problem, and my hubby says (even though he liked the resort) we won't be going back until we hear that they have fixed the bus problem. The only other problem was Artists Palette. The food was great, but it takes too long to get your food. I think the problem here is that they are trying to make restaurant quality food at a counter service place. I like the food, but it's not worth the wait--especially when you're standing there in a wet bathing suit for 30 minutes waiting for two flatbreads. One morning I ordered breakfast and waited 25 minutes even though I was the ONLY ONE THERE. Too long. We liked the food but it got to be too much of a pain.

BCV: This is our home resort and we have a lot of experience here. I have had some issues with this resort in the past (front desk in particular) but no problems this trip. They were obviously not near capacity, so that may have something to do with it. We spent Friday Aug 19 at Stormalong Bay, and I have never seen it so empty. All afternoon there were maybe 10 families in the whole place. Never a line for the slide. It was very nice. The room was fine (although it faced the carport) and everything went smoothly at checkin. Again we were told that they were trying to get people into available rooms, and we got ours at 11am--unheard of at BCV.

Positives: SAB is all open now (was closed when we went in Feb) and it's very nice. I wish it was open later at night though. They are definitely checking for room keys and handing out wrist bands, but no towel patrol because there was no need last week.

Negatives: Well, a view of the driveway isn't high on my list, but I guess you can't always get a great view. No front desk problems this time, and bus service was unusually reliable this time (but I still don't like sharing the bus with YC, BW, Dol, Swan--too many stops).

General Observations:
* It was really empty for summer time. We've gone in August twice now and I really recommend it. It's a nice compromise between weather and crowds and school vacations (depending where you live).

* The first week was fine, but last week was hot ( 4 our of 5 record high temps for Orlando--wow). But we still managed to do a few things in the morning, then swam and hung out at epcot many nights. Not much rain, but lighting most nights.

* Did the water parks. Crush and Gusher was fun, although there is no amount of sunscreen for a 98 degree day at a waterpark in August. We reapplied every two hours and still fried. There were no afternoon storms or clowds to help with the sun. I'm still sore.

* Loved Soarin, Lights Motor Action, and my boys were thrilled to see the power rangers pull up in their vehicle and sign autographs at MGM. Made robots in innoventions and the kids had a blast. Seemed like there were quite a few new things to do--and we were just there in Feb!

* BCV Marketplace is great now. Love the gelato--ask to sample flavors before you buy, you might be surprised by what you like. Salads and sandwiches were very good. Nice to have another option for lunch (took everything poolside most days). The mugs have not changed since Feb. Actually, they haven't changed in years.

* Make PS's for your meals--I think the dining plans are clogging up the restaurants a little. I saw many uphappy people. More than once I heard "but the park isn't even busy, why don't you have a table?" I'll post a dining review on that board and include more info if you're interested.

OK, that's enough. I'm sure I'll think of more but I need more coffee first. If you have any questions, just ask. We did almost everything (parks, DTD, waterparks, DQ) so ask away.

Jenny

Great Review.

I have one comment as to why you would get such a lousy view at BCV when the resort is only 1/2 full. This is something I cannot understand.

Also, I too think the restaurant quality and service is going to suffer with the Dining plan in full swing.

I think we will be planning to go out for dinner off-site more this trip in September than ever.

Thanks again for the review

Hi,

Glad you had a good time. Thanks for sharing!

Disney Fanatic said:
I have one comment as to why you would get such a lousy view at BCV when the resort is only 1/2 full. This is something I cannot understand.

Well, on the reservation we asked for NS and nonHA, and when she started looking for a room, I mentioned that we liked being on an upper floor, near an elevator, oh and did she have anything that was ready then? She gave us all three. That's 5 requests met. I felt that also asking for a view was going to the well too many times. :teeth:

Jenny

Hi :wave2: thanks for the great report...do you remember your room number..have a great day :sunny: ...amy

jennypenny said:
General Observations:

* It was really empty for summer time. We've gone in August twice now and I really recommend it. It's a nice compromise between weather and crowds and school vacations (depending where you live).

* Make PS's for your meals--I think the dining plans are clogging up the restaurants a little. I saw many uphappy people. More than once I heard "but the park isn't even busy, why don't you have a table?" I'll post a dining review on that board and include more info if you're interested.
Thanx for the outstanding report, Jenny.
We visited at The Poly a couple weeks back, and completely agree with your above comments.

I thought forsure it was going to be a mob scene, but to my surprise it was quite tame for summer.

We didn't have a hard time getting a PS, but we did have a hard time getting the seating times we wanted.
I wonder what it would've been like if the parks were very busy?

Thanx again for the report... :drinking:

MG

Thanks for sharing a great report.

Thanks for your report. We're staying at SSR in Oct and not planning on renting a car so the bus report makes me a little nervous.

Thanks for an interesting report.

Can anyone explain the free dining plan?

Many thanks

Disney Fanatic said:
Great Review.

Also, I too think the restaurant quality and service is going to suffer with the Dining plan in full swing.

I think we will be planning to go out for dinner off-site more this trip in September than ever.

Thanks again for the review
I hope DVC is taking this opportunity to "freshen" some of the more used rooms (the ones with the great views) during this slow time...could that be the reason? Just an idea.

Of all the things you mentioned the one that would really get my goat is the bus issue. Did you complain to management? To DVC? We are paying for those buses. At least the SSR owners are. I think that is unacceptable.

I would've called a taxi. The cost of the taxi would be lower than the cost of lost time at the park -- at least to my mind. Then I would have complained and probably shown the management my taxi receipt.

I think I would be reluctant to stay at SSR or OKW without a car anyway. But we drive and prefer a car regardless of our DVC resort.

jennypenny said:
. . . . and bus service was unusually reliable this time (but I still don't like sharing the bus with YC, BW, Dol, Swan--too many stops).

I thought BC/BCV/YC stopped sharing a bus with all those resorts? :confused3 So how many stops to or back from, say, MK?[/QUOTE]

Sometimes the buses only stopped at YC/BC and sometimes it did the whole YC/BC/S/D/BW thing. I noticed it did the longer route when it was slow (middle of the day) and also the first bus in the morning that took people to early PS's at restaurants (I think the 7:15am bus?).

BC is the 4th or 5th stop on the longer route. Of course, on the way to the parks it's one of the last pickups, which is nice. If you're staying at BWV then you can jump off at the first stop (Swam) and walk over to the BW which is faster. There is no point in jumping off early for the beach club though.

Jenny

OneMoreTry said:
I would've called a taxi. The cost of the taxi would be lower than the cost of lost time at the park -- at least to my mind. Then I would have complained and probably shown the management my taxi receipt.
Taking a taxi is a good idea, especially if you are trying to get to the park before it gets too crowded. BUT, if you are going to the Magic Kingdom, tell the driver to take you to the Polynesian and then get on the Monorail. Otherwise he'll take you to the TTC, which invariably has a long line early in the morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter