Just Back from 3 days/2 nights at DLP, some thoughts

duder92

Earning My Ears
Just returned home from 10 days in Europe with myself and the wife. We started with 3 days and 2 nights at DLP before moving on to Paris and Belgium, and I wanted to deposit my thoughts while they were fresh in my mind. Hopefully this is interesting to some, or possibly helpful for those who are planning on visiting.

Some of our history just for some background on where my thoughts/opinions are coming from. We both love the parks (we were married in Epcot), but I am fully able to see their shortcomings and where things have fallen and where they are getting better. Been to WDW and Disneyland numerous times and have had two visits to Tokyo Disney/Disney Sea. Our last and only visit to DLP was in 2019, and it was a single day trip from the city and we did not visit the studio park. We enjoyed that trip, but it felt disjointed and like we didnt really experience it.

I tend to think you cant get the full experience and vibe of the various disney parks until you are able to stay on property and wake up and go to sleep within the Disney bubble (for better and worse). This time, we booked two nights at Sequoia Lodge and spent the better part of 3 days in the parks. Im going to deposit most of these thoughts into shortish bullet points to keep this somewhat short and legible. Here we go:

-Took pre-booked car service from CDG to the Hotel. Highly recommend doing this over taxi and public transport. Its more expensive, but I highly advocate spending a little more for peace of mind and minimalizing stress.

-Weather. Man was it cold. We live in Portland, OR and are not strangers to chilly weather, but Ill admit we were probably not prepared for sub freezing temps the whole time. We had on plenty of layers, but at that temp, eventually it breaks you down a bit. Luckily it was dry, but I would gladly have taken another 5 or 10 degrees and then we would have been fine.

Sequoia Lodge Thoughts

-We booked Golden Forest Club and im glad we did, the Hotel was packed! Lobby was a zoo, so it was great to walk right to the Golden Forest Reception for a quick check in and bag drop off. Breakfast buffet was good each morning and avoided the need for reservations and high crowds as well.

-Hotel Christmas vibes were great and the common areas were nice. Similar vibe to Wilderness Lodge, but without the wide open lobby.

-Rooms are definitely dated and in need of a refresh, which we knew going in. Best word to describe them - serviceable.

-Easy walk from Hotel to Parks, felt about the same distance as going from Disneyland Hotel to the parks, similar vibe as both take you through Downtown Disney

Disneyland Park Thoughts

- What a beautiful park! Based purely on themeing and asthetics, it is head and shoulders above the other castle parks (havent visited HK or Shanghai)

- Going from Main Street>Frontier Land>Adventure Land may be my favorite stretch of any Disney Park. The storytelling, space, theme, atmosphere is top notch, and it really feels like a fully formed vision from its creators, right up there with the best parts of Disney Sea and Animal Kingdom

-Phantom Manor, this was closed for refurbishment last time, which was a heartbreaker, but man, this is right near the top of my favorite attractions. I love Haunted Mansion, and this is clearly my favorite version of it. Love the story of the Bride and how well…haunting it is. Genuinely some creepy moments as the Phantom looms over her. Loved every bit of it.

-Thunder Mountain. The pinnacle of this ride, no other version is close.

- Pirates. The best parts of WDW and DL combined to tell a story that makes sense, best version by far, although the movie tie ins does feel the most out of place.

-Fantasy Land. Admittedly the area I tend to spend the least amount of time in. Love having Casey Jr and Storybook Boats. Peter Pan and Pinocchio are always fun, didn’t ride Snow White. Small World was closed for refurbishment.

-Discovery Land. Like all of the “Tomorrow” lands, probably the part of the park that struggles to keep a cohesive theme. I would love for them to lean back into the Jules Verne aspect and give the whole area a proper refresh, but I doubt that will happen. The Star Wars overlay for Space Mountain is pretty terrible if Im being honest. I would love to have experienced this attraction in its original form. For those that did, was the que always so sparce? Only the last little bit has any theming, was the rest removed for Hyperspace or was this always the way it was?

-Main Street/Castle Hub. Just incredible. Love the Arcades on either side of Main Street and the working gas lamps. Everything looked to be in good shape. Loved the steam coming out of the coffee sign, lots of great little finishes that really makes this Main Street shine. The castle is a stunner, and the dragon and walk-through make it my favorite.

-30th/Holiday additions. The additional 30th and Christmas decorations were great. Always something to look at. I enjoyed all the character statues around the hub, and the Christmas decorations were great. Just a great energy in the park.

-Walts. We had a late lunch at Walts, and it was great. The space itself is just jammed packed with details; I wish it wasn’t so crowded so I could have had more time to explore the walls without feeling like I was hovering over the diners. The food was also better than I was expecting. Nothing earth shattering, but it was nowhere near being bad. Also had great service.

Studio Parks Thoughts

-I was pretty curious to see the worst Disney park, and while I understand why it holds that title, we did have fun with our time there. We basically treated it as another land, visiting for a couple of hours before closing and rope drop followed by a couple of hours riding rides before going back to DLP.

-Avengers Campus. Havent seen it at Disneyland yet, so this was my first visit to an Avengers Campus. Visually its not much to look at, but it was clean and in good shape. The outside of Flight Force was pretty cool, kind of reminded me of test track.

-Web Slingers. These game attractions do nothing for me, and this one was no different. Disappointing that this is what they built around Spider Man.

-Avengers Flight Force. For a retheme of Rockin Rollercoaster, this exceeded expectations. The building and Iron Man animatronic are top notch. The story is nonexistent. The ride itself is fun, and it kind of feels like a beta version of what they ended up doing for Guardians at Epcot. Not amazing, but we did enjoy the experience. Feels like all the budget went to the building and pre-show, then they threw 3 or 4 screens inside the ride building and called it a day. Why can Disney not do a bona fide starfield on any of these indoor space rides?

-Tower of Terror. It was great to ride a ToT that was not in terrible shape like the one of WDW. Really liked the little girl focus of this version. The projections were crisp and the drop profile felt long and really diverse. Great ride.

-Ratatouille. If you can make yourself ready for a cute C ticket attraction, its enjoyable, but its hard to not see how it could have been so much more. I did enjoy how it ended at the restaurant, which helped tie things together.

-Remy’s. Worth eating at for the theme, as they nailed it. Food was firmly average at best.

-Crush’s Coaster. This was very fun. Some nice show elements before it sends you into the main ride building, which is kind of like a much better version of Primeval World or Goofys Sky School. We liked it, but would not wait the normal hour plus for it. We did it at the very end of the night with a 15 minute wait.

-Like I mentioned above, our first visit to Studios was to go for a 6pm Remy dinner, and after dinner we were able to walk around, ride Ratatouille, Web Slinger, Flight Force, Tower, and Crush all before the park closed at 9pm. This is probably the best way to experience the park. The lighting at night was great and that stretch of time was some of the most fun we had the entire trip. As an all day park where waits quickly build at all the rides, its severely lacking, but for a night out riding some fun attractions, it was great. Tons of room to expand and improve if they ever decide to sink more money into it. Even with the Frozen expansion, it will still be a half day park at best I think.

Conclusion

This is already too long, so Ill just wrap by saying that it was a great trip to DLP. Overall the park is in great shape, and in many ways are head and shoulders above what we have in the States. It is great to be able to travel out of the country again and visit places like DLP and Tokyo Disney where the magic is alive and well. Something I cant really say for WDW, but I wont deviate this into another thread about whats wrong in Orlando. Cast members were welcoming and it was a warm holiday vibe around the parks. Great time, and cant wait to get back. Now I need to decide where it stack in my personal rankings of Disney Parks.

Hope some of you find this interesting. If any of you are planning visits, Im happy to answer any questions based on our experience.

Thanks for the impressions. We are going to DLP for the first time in June. We are regulars at WDW, but didn't know anything about DLP other than "it is similar to DL/DCA". From what I was reading, your assessment of Studios aligns. We are also staying at Sequoia for 3 nights and we will have 2 1/2 days in the parks. I was originally planning on hitting DL on our arrival day, but may switch that up to Studios. I don't have firm arrival times yet as we will be flying into CDG from Rome in the afternoon. Either way, we will have 3 evenings to sort it out.
Other than Sequoia being dated (which is what I read), what were your other pluses? Restaurants, shops? We have a main building lake side room booked. I didn't want to spend the extra $$ for the Golden Forest level. We don't spend a lot of time in the room except to sleep.

j

Thanks for the impressions. We are going to DLP for the first time in June. We are regulars at WDW, but didn't know anything about DLP other than "it is similar to DL/DCA". From what I was reading, your assessment of Studios aligns. We are also staying at Sequoia for 3 nights and we will have 2 1/2 days in the parks. I was originally planning on hitting DL on our arrival day, but may switch that up to Studios. I don't have firm arrival times yet as we will be flying into CDG from Rome in the afternoon. Either way, we will have 3 evenings to sort it out.
Other than Sequoia being dated (which is what I read), what were your other pluses? Restaurants, shops? We have a main building lake side room booked. I didn't want to spend the extra $$ for the Golden Forest level. We don't spend a lot of time in the room except to sleep.

j
As someone who stayed at Sequoia and did not do the Golden Forest (stayed there in early Dec, currently writing a trip report).

The gift shop was decent. I was disappointed with the food choices. We came back to the hotel hungry a couple nights. The only option we could find was the buffet. It had a long line and we also didn't want to pay for a buffet. So maybe if you don't have dinner in the park grab some food while walking through their Downtown Disney.

Also, if you like characters there was a character meeting each night after park close for a few hours. We saw Goofy, Max and Donald all in kind of REI inspired outdoorsy outfits.

This is very helpful thank you! We are going to DLP in July and honestly am trying to decide between one or two days. We just did 2 weeks at WDW in August, so really we are just wanting to do DLP to say we did it while we are already going to France and England.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, overall sounds like you had a fun time :)

Great trip report -- Thank you!

I've been to WDW 35 times (offsite visitor normally except for three visits at Fort Wilderness growing up - parents had a motorhome, and two onsite stays at the Contemporary and one at POFQ (on these DH had conferences at the Contemporary). And I've been to Disneyland in California twice (once as a four year old and once in my 50s). In September 2023 I'm super excited to say we will be visiting Disneyland Paris for the first time.

All the details of your report were of great interest to me. We'll be staying overnight in Paris for four nights (I was an exchange student in Paris back in 1976 when I was 16 and this will be by first time back -- 47 years later), then staying at Sequoia Lodge for three nights, and then heading to Belfast for three nights. We will have an evening and two full days in the parks.

I originally was just going to do a day trip from Paris for one day and hit both parks, but decided to extend our European trip by a few days since I'm traveling with DS who is a huge Disney fan. Thought the longer stay would make it a little more chill out which sounds super fun.

Just going to add on to this a bit since we were there at the same time. I loved Walt's as well and would do it any day of the week over the restaurant at Pirates. Same with Rémy, but I have to say Pym kitchen was the sleeper winner for us! The themeing is amazing, the food is cool and it really enhanced our experience to the Avengers campus. I agree with the evaluation of flight force (although I love rockin roller coaster so I would ride it any time), but we LOVED web slinger! If you are a fan of Toy Story mania this is like that on steroids. For WDW fans think of it like avatar is to soarin- same ride, way better tech!

We stayed at Marvel for our second time and once again loved it- we got a corner room and we're able to take time to enjoy the pool. We had sequoia booked, then switched to Santa Fe (so my teen boys could have semi separate beds) but finally ended up at Marvel when I found a decent deal on Booking.com. If you are worried about dated or plugs you will find none of those issues at marvel but the price can be intimidating but budgeting and Disney rarely go together and since we like the Deluxe resorts (was just at yacht club over thanksgiving) it was a great choice for us!

Thanks hmkenn0. What a great trip for your family! Bet your teen boys loved the Marvel theming . And wow, staying at the Yacht Club sounds amazing too -- so close to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios and evening extra magic hours.

We're not concerned about dated rooms (just three nights and we'll be in the parks for so much of the time too) and I already have the right plugs for France and a multiple outlet strip I plan to take with USB and regular outlets to plug into that. Appreciate the warnings though. I let DS who is in this 20s choose out of a few choices that were within my budget, and he went for onsite and this one. He loves a US national park theme, but it does seem pretty weird, I have to say, to go all the way to Paris and go for that. I was actually surprised at the price we got for a package ($318 a night which includes four days of park admissions for the two of us, (but we'll only use three) and taxes). This was lower than I expected. Going in September when kids are back in school seems to be the main reason for the lower pricing (unusual for us to be at a Disney theme park at a less popular time - but no tie to the school schedule for once). We booked from the UK rather than US website which was a little less expensive for our dates. And although refundable I paid in full because the dollar to pound exchange rate looked really good and it seemed like a good idea to me to lock that in.

Since we're so far out I haven't seen room only on the third party booking sites yet.

Last edited:
We will be in Paris for a week at spring break (the week before Easter). I'm debating a day trip to DLP with one of my teen daughters; she and I love Disney, going to Disney World this February.

Do you think it's worth doing a day trip? And if so, should we do both parks, or not bother with the studios?

Thanks for any input!

We will be in Paris for a week at spring break (the week before Easter). I'm debating a day trip to DLP with one of my teen daughters; she and I love Disney, going to Disney World this February.

Do you think it's worth doing a day trip? And if so, should we do both parks, or not bother with the studios?

Thanks for any input!
Yes and maybe. What do you like when you go to a Disney park?
The week before Easter should be a decent time to go, the vacation in France starts as off Easter. Go on a weekday.

Thanks for any input!
How often do you get to Paris and will you be back?

For me and DS who are huge Disney fans, we would in your shoes do a day trip and get a park hopper to see both parks, even if we spend most of our time in the Disneyland Paris. In fact this was our original plan on our Paris trip when DH was coming along too (He was going to do a food tour while we did a day trip to Paris as he's not a theme park guy). For us though it's unlikely we'll be back to Paris, and we are such huge Disney fans that one reason to go to Paris is that Disney is close by. Paris though is fabulous and well worth it even without Disney in reality. (I was an exchange student in Paris when I was 16 and I just got a huge kick out of things that were so familiar yet different -- like McDonalds. And Disney would be something like that. Disney didn't exist then, but I personally think you and your daughter would love a day trip there (so fun with something that is familiar that you love, yet so different). It's just an hour each way by train, so easy to do. I personally wouldn't miss it and I personally would regret not seeing both parks too if I just did Disneyland. If you'll be in Paris again and will have the opportunity to go a different time, that might be a whole different story.

How often do you get to Paris and will you be back?

For me and DS who are huge Disney fans, we would in your shoes do a day trip and get a park hopper to see both parks, even if we spend most of our time in the Disneyland Paris. In fact this was our original plan on our Paris trip when DH was coming along too (He was going to do a food tour while we did a day trip to Paris as he's not a theme park guy). For us though it's unlikely we'll be back to Paris, and we are such huge Disney fans that one reason to go to Paris is that Disney is close by. Paris though is fabulous and well worth it even without Disney in reality. (I was an exchange student in Paris when I was 16 and I just got a huge kick out of things that were so familiar yet different -- like McDonalds. And Disney would be something like that. Disney didn't exist then, but I personally think you and your daughter would love a day trip there (so fun with something that is familiar that you love, yet so different). It's just an hour each way by train, so easy to do. I personally wouldn't miss it and I personally would regret not seeing both parks too if I just did Disneyland. If you'll be in Paris again and will have the opportunity to go a different time, that might be a whole different story.
Thanks! I doubt we will be back to Paris for quite a while. I’m going to try to make it work..

I would definitely try to get out for a day trip. Beyond the parks being great and worth the time, it can also break up all the museums one tends to visit in Paris. I would recommend spending a night at DLP to allow yourself to take in the parks a bit more leisurely, but I understand thats tough to do sometimes, and hotel transfers can be a pain.

Thanks for your report. We are also from Portland and have had many trips to DL and a few to WDW. We will be in Paris post-cruise in May and just decided to add on a couple nights at DLP. We are also planning to stay at Sequoia; I find it amusing to stay in a hotel in Paris that looks like something from my neighborhood. I really know nothing about DLP so just starting to research. Looks like we have some things to look forward to and will plan accordingly for Studios.

-Discovery Land. Like all of the “Tomorrow” lands, probably the part of the park that struggles to keep a cohesive theme. I would love for them to lean back into the Jules Verne aspect and give the whole area a proper refresh, but I doubt that will happen. The Star Wars overlay for Space Mountain is pretty terrible if Im being honest. I would love to have experienced this attraction in its original form. For those that did, was the que always so sparce? Only the last little bit has any theming, was the rest removed for Hyperspace or was this always the way it was?

The que is pretty much exactly the same like it was when it was the old Star Tours (including the Star Wars characters). I like the ride a bit more now because of the hundreds of different movie combinations you can get (each trip is different).

I also agree that this part of DLP needs a bit more love. Next to Star Tours is a big 4D cinema that people seem to miss a lot, it looks very outdated so people might think it's a kind of service building or something.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I've been to DLP tons of times (I live in Belgium), I have never visited any other parks :-)

Phenomenal review, thank you very much. I'm also American planning my first visit for 2025. How was transportation around the resort? Comparable to DLR or more WDW in terms of getting from place to place on property? You said you did a prepaid ride share- do you happen to remember who it was through? I'd likely want to do the same.

Did you have any language barrier issues with either the ride share or the park? I obviously speak English and am also relatively good with German, but I think all I remember from my last trip to France is how to order two orders of fries. :smooth:

Phenomenal review, thank you very much. I'm also American planning my first visit for 2025. How was transportation around the resort? Comparable to DLR or more WDW in terms of getting from place to place on property? You said you did a prepaid ride share- do you happen to remember who it was through? I'd likely want to do the same.

Did you have any language barrier issues with either the ride share or the park? I obviously speak English and am also relatively good with German, but I think all I remember from my last trip to France is how to order two orders of fries. :smooth:
It's more like DLR for moving around the resort. The two park entrances are near each other, then the Disney Village sits between the parks and the hotels. It's walkable, but there's also shuttle buses if you need them (depending on your hotel it's 10-25 minutes to walk).

We haven't had language issues at the park, the cast members speak both English and French. My French isn't good so they usually take pity and switch to English when I try :laughing:

If you are unsure look at the name badge on each cast member they will have flags for each country with the spoken fluent languages. Most cast members must speak 2 languages. For English look for the union flag from United Kingdom.

Like said before me, if you have been to Disneyland then you will be familiar with what its like going from the onsite hotel to the parks. 10-15 minute walk through Downtown Disney to the park entrances, which are next to each other.

For airport transfers, and transfer from Disney to our Paris hotel we used Inter Service Prestige which I saw recommended elswhere on these forums. Driver was waiting for us at the airport and service was as advertised.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter