• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Back From 3 Days in the Parks - Jan 3-6.

Flattes

Mouseketeer
Just wanted to check in and give a quick rundown of our trip in case it helps anyone else out there...

Myself, my mom, and my 2 kids (DD aged 10 and DS aged 6) just got back from a 3 day trip which we added on to the end of a 2 week cruise. I naively added it without researching - I was convinced it would be a "quiet" time at Disney since Christmas, etc was done. It was only afterwards that I found out that the 3 days we were in the parks were the last 3 days of the "holidays" and the first time APs were allowed back in. I wasn't sure what to expect but went with the attitude that we would do what we could do and not stress or try to kill ourselves....

We pre-booked a shuttle from San Pedro pier to out hotel - Homewood Suites. We used Lansky on the recommendations of this board and it was excellent! The driver texted us while still on the ship to let us know he was 5 minutes outside of the pier and all we needed to do was text him when we were outside. We did this and he arrived within a few minutes. The car was clean, the driver was friendly and professional, and they provided a booster seat at requested!

We stayed at Homewood Suites - last time I went we stayed at Park Vue and I was hoping for something that close again. Unfortunately, the price difference between an "ok" place across the street and a Hilton further away made it more sensible to go with a nicer hotel. The Homewood Suites was excellent - we had the family suite, which was huge. The kids loved the bunkbeds and I loved the kitchen. The free breakfast was a great start to the day and I really liked the free dinner and alcohol from 5-7pm Mon-Thurs! Nice touch! The best part of the hotel was that it was a 5 minute walk to the Toy Story lot so we were able to take the free shuttle back and forth to the parks. The shuttle was great because there is a dedicated security line for people using it so we never had to line up in the HUGE line that formed from the street!

I had pre-purchased tickets via Expedia.ca as when I tried to buy the Canadian resident ones on Disney they site wouldn't work. (Don't even get me started on the hours I spent on the phone trying to buy these tickets)! I would caution anyone thinking of buying through Expedia NOT to do it! Even though I had pre-purchased, I still needed to wait in the ticket booth line to redeem the vouchers. The line was huge - it took an hour and 40 minutes just to reach the window. Then the cast member couldn't pull up my order so needed to get another cast member to help. The other one couldn't do it either so they restarted the software. No joy. They then called over a 3rd cast member. It turned out (or so they said) that Expedia had not loaded the vouchers into the system, so even though I had a confirmation, bar code, and my credit card had been charged, Disney did not have actual tickets for me. By this time we had already been in line over 2 hours and my 6 year old with special needs was literally lying on the floor in the fetal position! Not my idea of fun! A supervisor was called and she did something to override something else and I eventually got our 3 day park hoppers BUT it had taken 2 hours and 15 minutes to do so!

After the long wait to get our tickets, we opted to go to California Adventure as there was no line to get in the park. It was very busy inside but not awful - we took it easy and strolled around, hopping on rides that didn't have crazy lines. We were able to do Monsters Inc, Turtle Talk, everything in Bugs Life/Flick's Funfair, Jumping Jellybeans, Silly Symphony, and Zephyr with very minimal waits. We ate a late lunch at the Wiener place, simply because we were hungry and it was there! Later we grabbed some mac and cheese at Festival of Holidays. We had reservations for WOC dessert party and arrived around 7:45pm. We were 10th in line at that time. They started checking in at 8:15pm and gave us wristbands. We were on a high top at the rail and had a great view. I had been looking forward to the blue alcoholic drink but by the time we had sat down it was getting chilly so we all opted for hot drinks instead (actually, the server only offered hot chocolate, tea, or coffee - no mention of any other drinks). We got the bread basket and out dessert plates (I would have liked more bread as there wasn't enough for the amount of cheese, but none was ever offered). The desserts were excellent and we got a box to pack up the leftovers to take with us. WOC was superb and we were felt we got value for money with the experience. We didn't stay for the fireworks as we had been on the go all day but I heard that they were cancelled half way through.

Jan 4th - Thursday - was our magic morning day. The parks opened at 7am but we didn't make it as early as we had planned. After breakfast at the hotel we took the shuttle and got to the park around 7:45am. There were minimal lines so we headed to Disney and straight to Tomorrowland. We grabbed a fastpass for Star Tours with a return time of 10:15-11:15. We then did Nemo, Buzz, and Autopia - each having about a 15 minute wait. By the time we were done with these we were able to use our fastpass for Star Tours. We hoped to get a fastpass for Space Mountain but return time was 1:30pm and we had lunch reservations. We decided to go to Fantasyland - and this was the point that the day took a turn for the worst. It seemed that every person in the state of California decided to go to Fantasyland at that exact moment! There were so many people, and huge lines for everything. 90 minute wait for Small World, 2 hours for Matterhorn, 45 minutes for the carousel. Fastpasses were giving return times for 5pm and later...no thanks! We headed down to Frontier Land and were shocked that Pirates had a 2 hour line up, too. Indiana Jones was 90 minutes. Luckily, the kids were content to do Tarzan's Treehouse and then it was time for our lunch reservation at Rainforest Cafe (kids' choice, not mine!). Lunch was fine - nothing spectacular but pretty much standard for Rainforest Cafe! We checked out the stores in Downtown Disney after lunch and then headed back into Disney around 4pm. By this time it was truly insane in there - to the point where it was unpleasant and a little scary. There were a few times where it was so bottlenecked that we couldn't move forwards or backwards and the little guy got a bit panicked. After trying to battle the crowds and not really getting anywhere fast, we decided to cut our losses and head back to the hotel for the free dinner and drinks offered. It was a frustrating end to the day and we felt that we hadn't really done much in the parks!

Jan 5th - Friday - we set out with a plan today! We made a list of the "must do" rides and planned on buying the max pass as soon as we hit the park. We originally had reservations for Fantasmic premium dining for the evening, but after the crazy lines and crowds the pervious day we decided to cancel as we didn't want to have to deal with that late at night. I was sad that we would miss Fantasmic, but it was definitely the right decision! We got to the park at 8am and headed straight into Disney and purchased the max pass - we grabbed a fastpass for Matterhorn and then rode Pirates that had NO LINE! We then went back and rode Small World, which had a 10 minute wait. After this we used our fast pass to ride matterhorn and immediately booked a pass for Big Thunder Mountain. After redeeming this one we booked for Soaring. We walked around Disney and checked out the stores, stopped at Toontown and rode Roger Rabbit - Gadget coaster was down, then headed to California Adventure. We had a 30 minute wait for Grizzly River but I'm glad we waited as shortly after we rode it was down for a few hours and then backed up until the evening. After Grizzly River we did Soaring and grabbed a fast pass for Goofy's Sky School. We ate lunch at shake place near Soaring - it was painfully slow to get served but we were hungry and it was there! After lunch we used out pass for Goofy's Sky School and felt very happy that we had done every ride we set out to do by 3pm! We shopped a little and had ice cream and then decided to leave on a high note and head back to the hotel as we had a 3am start for home next morning.

Lessons learned:

1. NEVER do Disney during the holidays again! Although it was great to see the decorations, I am not a fan of that number of people and I really didn't like the crowds!

2. Have more faith in what the kids can handle! There must be some magic in the air at Disney as both kids had no issue waiting in lines for rides - any other time they whine and complain at the smallest of waits but at Disney I didn't even hear "How much longer will it be???" I was totally gobsmacked at how well my 6 year old handled the 3 days.. He has DCD and SPD so is unable to stand or sit still for prolonged periods. He is also very sensitive to noise, touch, and stimulation so I was prepared for meltdowns - I even considered going the disability access route so he wouldn't have to stand in line. Surprisingly, he did just fine and not one meltdown or complaint (other than mine!!!!)

3. MAX PASS!!!! This was a lifesaver on the last day. The only reason we didn't get it before then was that the wifi in the park sucked and my phone plan (being from Canada) costs a bucketload in data roaming. Luckily, my mom was able to add on to her plan and get a good price for long distance roaming. Best $40 we spent!

4. Initially I was a little disappointed that we had only really done the rides. We didn't do fireworks, shows, parades, Fantasmic. However, I think if we had pushed ourselves to do these then we would have been miserable/frustrated/tired and not enjoyed the experience anyway. We made the best use of the time that we could handle in the situation and ended up having fun!

... We made the best use of the time that we could handle in the situation and ended up having fun!

So glad to hear that, overall, your trip went well! Initially, when you first announced your trip dates and expectations, I was concerned for you. But I think your attitude was a healthy one and the crucial key to the success of your trip. So great to hear that the kids did well and had a fun time! The magic in the parks really is amazing, isn't it?

Thanks for the report. Tell me more about the dedicated security line for the shuttle, where is it? Was there a lot of waiting for shuttles? We’ve always stayed at Park Vu too, so I’m curious if it adds a lot of time. How far is the walk from the hotel?

Thanks for the report. Tell me more about the dedicated security line for the shuttle, where is it? Was there a lot of waiting for shuttles? We’ve always stayed at Park Vu too, so I’m curious if it adds a lot of time. How far is the walk from the hotel?

When you are dropped off from the Toy Story shuttles, they sometimes drop you off on the south side instead of the north side if the crowds for security are backed up. Then they dedicate the far south security lines to people getting off the shuttles. Generally it looks to be shorter and faster than the other lines.

The walk from Homewood Suites to the Toy Story shuttles is pretty short. The hotel is directly next to the parking lot. It is less than a 10 minute walk for our family.

When you are dropped off from the Toy Story shuttles, they sometimes drop you off on the south side instead of the north side if the crowds for security are backed up. Then they dedicate the far south security lines to people getting off the shuttles. Generally it looks to be shorter and faster than the other lines.

The walk from Homewood Suites to the Toy Story shuttles is pretty short. The hotel is directly next to the parking lot. It is less than a 10 minute walk for our family.

This was our experience for the 3 days (not sure if it's always this way or just when it's busy). The shuttle dropped at the very far left security line up (not sure of my North and South) and this area was fenced off from the regular security line ups and there were cast members preventing anyone from the street or other transportation from going into these lines. This meant that you could ONLY go through the security lines there if you got off the shuttle. It saved us a lot of time on the two days we arrived at opening as the other security lines were huge. The lot for the shuttle was super easy to walk to and we could see it from our room at the hotel so had an idea of how long the lines were to board. I have to say, the shuttle was super well managed - the first day we got to the hotel around 11 so went to the shuttle at noon and the line was really long. I thought it would take us forever to get through but the shuttles literally just keep on coming one after another so we were through the line in about 10 minutes or so. All of the other times, we had no wait for the shuttle in either direction.

This dedicated security line sounds interesting. In my experience, when lines are long and backing up to Harbor, those getting off the shuttle on the left often just butt their way into the front of the line. Perhaps Disney put up the fence to prevent that? Seems awfully unfair to those waiting in the other security line though.

We stayed at the Homewood Suites in October and used the shuttle. I didn't noticed that they specifically dedicated the south security lines for those on the shuttle, but it just seemed to happen naturally that way. The line backed up into the shuttle drop off area and there wasn't a way for those coming from the street or other shuttles to get in that line. Maybe there was a gate and I didn't notice. I did notice that our line was shorter than the ones on the other side though, and I was super grateful for that.

This was our experience for the 3 days (not sure if it's always this way or just when it's busy). The shuttle dropped at the very far left security line up (not sure of my North and South) and this area was fenced off from the regular security line ups and there were cast members preventing anyone from the street or other transportation from going into these lines. This meant that you could ONLY go through the security lines there if you got off the shuttle. It saved us a lot of time on the two days we arrived at opening as the other security lines were huge. The lot for the shuttle was super easy to walk to and we could see it from our room at the hotel so had an idea of how long the lines were to board. I have to say, the shuttle was super well managed - the first day we got to the hotel around 11 so went to the shuttle at noon and the line was really long. I thought it would take us forever to get through but the shuttles literally just keep on coming one after another so we were through the line in about 10 minutes or so. All of the other times, we had no wait for the shuttle in either direction.
It is not always this way with security. Our last trip was early November. May be they do this during busier times. Our next trip is March so I look forward to this!

I’m so glad you liked HomeWood suites. That’s where we stay. I it.

For future reference or others booking... I know for sure last minute travel sells tickets at a steep discount. They emailed me my actual ticket the day after I paid. We will go direct to gate. I got a free annual membership. ‍♀️

Your 2nd park day sounds like a waste and disaster. I’m so sorry. I wonder if you’d had maxpass it would have helped.

Glad you got so much your 3rd day. You really deserved it.

My lo has FASD and spd is one aspect of it. We get the DAS for lo because the crowds cause major upset-3 yo.

It is not always this way with security. Our last trip was early November. May be they do this during busier times. Our next trip is March so I look forward to this!

I’m so glad you liked HomeWood suites. That’s where we stay. I it.

For future reference or others booking... I know for sure last minute travel sells tickets at a steep discount. They emailed me my actual ticket the day after I paid. We will go direct to gate. I got a free annual membership. ‍♀️

Your 2nd park day sounds like a waste and disaster. I’m so sorry. I wonder if you’d had maxpass it would have helped.

Glad you got so much your 3rd day. You really deserved it.

My lo has FASD and spd is one aspect of it. We get the DAS for lo because the crowds cause major upset-3 yo.

We couldn't get max pass on the 2nd day as the Disney system was down- I'm sure this added to the lines and wait times! We booked one ticket through last minute travel for my mom and she did get an actual ticket emailed so didn't have wait in line. Of course, it didn't really help as she still had to wait for us! Next time I will make sure we get tickets rather than vouchers!

My DS is usually super affected by crowds and external stimulation but for whatever reason, Disney didn't seem to bother him! I think I was more bothered than him! Lol! The only time he really came close to meltdown was while waiting to get the tickets!

That’s great.

For 2 hours and that many people that had to help you they should have given you a couple of fast passes imo. :(

We couldn't get max pass on the 2nd day as the Disney system was down- I'm sure this added to the lines and wait times! We booked one ticket through last minute travel for my mom and she did get an actual ticket emailed so didn't have wait in line. Of course, it didn't really help as she still had to wait for us! Next time I will make sure we get tickets rather than vouchers!

My DS is usually super affected by crowds and external stimulation but for whatever reason, Disney didn't seem to bother him! I think I was more bothered than him! Lol! The only time he really came close to meltdown was while waiting to get the tickets!

Just to clarify, this setup of a blocked off security line for the Toy Story shuttles seemed entirely dependent on the crowd level. We went on Dec 18-20 and Jan 3-4 and had very different experiences depending on the overall crowd level. For our first trip, when security was backed up, we got dropped on the south side but it was not blocked off. Other times during the day when security was not backed up, we were dropped off on the north side as usual. For our second trip, things were much busier and the blocked off security was there in the morning (but when we came back in the afternoon, we were dropped off on the north side as usual)

We were there January 3-5 too and had a good time because of Maxpass. We were able to do plenty of rides. Multiple Experience passes are awesome. On the night of the 4th we were at the hotel hot tub. There was another couple there. They had four kids like us and seemed shell shocked at how crowded the parks were. They didn't really understand the fast pass system, and only got one fast pass the whole day. Unfortunately, it was for IAJ. That line still took an hour so I don't think they were impressed. Needless to say, I tried to unload as much information on them as I could about fast passes and Maxpass. I hope I didn't overwhelm them, but knowing the system makes a difference between a good trip and an awful trip when it is crowded. It makes me sad to see families have a rough time because they don't understand the fast pass system. This family picked last week because they thought schools would be in session and the crowds would be low. They were completely unprepared for reality.

It makes me sad to see families have a rough time because they don't understand the fast pass system. This family picked last week because they thought schools would be in session and the crowds would be low. They were completely unprepared for reality.

Without MaxPass, this last trip would have been terrible. But you are right: without really understanding how to maximize it, it is difficult to get the value from it. Very glad we added it to our APs and have researched the heck out of it.

We were there January 3-5 too and had a good time because of Maxpass. We were able to do plenty of rides. Multiple Experience passes are awesome. On the night of the 4th we were at the hotel hot tub. There was another couple there. They had four kids like us and seemed shell shocked at how crowded the parks were. They didn't really understand the fast pass system, and only got one fast pass the whole day. Unfortunately, it was for IAJ. That line still took an hour so I don't think they were impressed. Needless to say, I tried to unload as much information on them as I could about fast passes and Maxpass. I hope I didn't overwhelm them, but knowing the system makes a difference between a good trip and an awful trip when it is crowded. It makes me sad to see families have a rough time because they don't understand the fast pass system. This family picked last week because they thought schools would be in session and the crowds would be low. They were completely unprepared for reality.

I am totally in tune with the family you were speaking too! I, too, thought Jan 3-6 would be quiet and although I was more prepared for reality after reading these boards I was still STUNNED at the sheer number of people and the length of the lines. I enjoy Disney but I definitely wouldn't call myself a diehard fan so I found it baffling and intriguing that anyone would be prepared to wait 2 hours to ride on an attraction for a few minutes! I also didn't really understand the maxpass concept so wasn't planning on getting it at all - I had hoped to be able to use fastpass more as we weren't planning on doing super popular rides like California Screaming, Space Mountain, etc. Little did I know that even the generic rides would have fastpass return times of many, many hours later - so that kind of messed up our plans and we did get maxpass the last day. Even then, I'm not sure we used it to it's full potential - we had no clue how the photopass thing worked as none of the rides we went on seemed to have pictures (or, if they did, we didn't see where to get them). I had zero interest in lining up to get pictures with characters so we didn't use the photopass at all. I also didn't get how to pull a second fastpass with it - the first one we got had a return time between 10am and 11am and said we could get the next pass at 10:01am. I took that to mean that I could pull another pass even though I had the first one but it seemed I had to redeem the first pass before I could get another - so if we didn't get to the ride until 10:30am I couldn't get a pass until then? It was kind of confusing and the crappy wifi frustrated me so much that I made my mom call her phone company and add a roaming package!

AND I just realised today, now we are back at home, that we completely missed doing or seeing Carsland! LoL! That was the one area I figured DS would be stoked to see and we forgot to do it! Luckily, neither child seemed to miss or notice that we skipped it!

I agree that Thursday was a complete disaster with Max Pass being down! I had 2-day 1 park so I spent it in DCA and holy cow all the "big" attractions had triple digit wait times! We waited for toy story (140 min standby) but truly only waited 70 min, which was a relief. We actually did do a lot but I was frustrated most of the day that my purchase of maxpass never went through as the hours passed.

Also, multiple experience is given when a ride goes down during your return time. It can be used at any time, for any ride (max pass/fast pass capable) exclusive to the park the ride went down in.

Example- Guardians goes down during your 9:30-10:30 return time, that max pass turns into a multiple experience and you can use it for Cars at any time during that day.

What is a multiple experience pass?
When you have a FP for a ride and it breaks down during your FP window, it converts to a multiple experience fast pass that is good the rest of the day on most other FP rides in the park. The app will tell you which rides it is good for. It isn't always good for the most popular rides. For example, we had a FP for Goofy Sky School at 11:20. It broke down and it converted to a ME pass around 11:10 (I'm not sure why they converted it early), so I went on the app to get another FP. They were distributing Goofy Sky School for 11:25. I got that and the ride was still down so that converted to a ME pass too. Then I went to get another FP. Goofy Sky School again for 11:30. By 11:30 it was up and running. With the ME passes: 2 kids went on Screaming and the other 4 of us did Toy Story, then we all did Goofy Sky School, then we all did Soarin' with the other ME pass. All in about an hour. Stuff like that doesn't always happen, but it was almost hard to use the FP fast enough.

The multiple experience pass may be changing how it works. There is some discussion in the maxpass thread.

Op that is a total bummer about Carsland. :(

A lot of people have said the park would be better without fast pass. From your day I disagree completely!

The multiple experience pass may be changing how it works. There is some discussion in the maxpass thread.

Op that is a total bummer about Carsland. :(

A lot of people have said the park would be better without fast pass. From your day I disagree completely!

We got one multiple experience fastpass on Thursday and it worked great. No issues. Not to say it can't change, just adding another experience to the list.

When you have a FP for a ride and it breaks down during your FP window, it converts to a multiple experience fast pass that is good the rest of the day on most other FP rides in the park. The app will tell you which rides it is good for. It isn't always good for the most popular rides. For example, we had a FP for Goofy Sky School at 11:20. It broke down and it converted to a ME pass around 11:10 (I'm not sure why they converted it early), so I went on the app to get another FP. They were distributing Goofy Sky School for 11:25. I got that and the ride was still down so that converted to a ME pass too. Then I went to get another FP. Goofy Sky School again for 11:30. By 11:30 it was up and running. With the ME passes: 2 kids went on Screaming and the other 4 of us did Toy Story, then we all did Goofy Sky School, then we all did Soarin' with the other ME pass. All in about an hour. Stuff like that doesn't always happen, but it was almost hard to use the FP fast enough.

Our family calls it the Golden Ticket :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter