• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from AKL and Vero

A1A1

DIS Veteran
One week at AKL followed by one week at Vero. Just walked in the door from airport, and am so tired. Thought I'd post tomorrow, but wondered if anyone had questions.

Loved both places. Very suprised at how much I liked Vero. Had completely wrong idea about AKL prior to going there.

So, any questions?:o

How crowded was Vero at the time you were there? I assume this is sort of an off season as kids are still in school, and the winter people should have gone back North.

Definitely want to hear about AKL....did you stay on points? What type of room? Why was it not what you expected?

Rest up... and answer when you're ready! Thanks!

I posted on the resorts board, so, if you like, you can read a bit there about my vacation.

Vero was great. I didn't think it was very crowded. The front desk told me that they were 100% occupied, and I was shocked. It is a small resort, so that 100% is a smaller 100% than BWV, for example. I would definitely go there again, and will look forward to it. I would consider buying points there as well, but probably not more than fifty. The view from the inn oceanview rooms is the most spectacular I've ever seen. This is a relaxation only resort.

AKL was different than I thought, bvecause it wasn't all about the animals. It was all about Africa. The experience is in interacting with the employees, most of whom are from Africa. The artifacts are amazing and interesting. I liked this resort, but felt it was very crowded. There are people everywhere. I didn't understand how they would handle all the people when the resort is completely finished and all rooms are open. This is why I liked Vero better. I didn't feel that there were people on top of me at Vero. You have a lot of space and much relaxation.

To answer: stayed in a fifth floor room, so I guess it was a deluxe. The difference in the rooms is a tiny bit of size. The deluxe room is the size of the balcony bigger. If you are on the bottom floor, you can look up and see that the balconies on the fifth floor hang over the others only the size of a balcony, so it's about three feet deeper than a standard size room. You see animals everywhere. There wasn't a time that we didn't see big animals from our balcony. There was absolutely no smell as some were concerned about earlier. If you go there, take the time to talk to the African people. Your conversations with them will make all the differences in your stay there.

What else would you recommend doing at AKL? Did you do the early morning safari? Did you stay on points for the Deluxe room?

I couldn't find your post on the resorts board. Can you tell me where it is exactly? THanks.

At AKL, I would walk each hall to look at the artifacts, which are located at the middle and end or each hallway. There is a story gathering at the firepit at 7:30 pm, I think. Take the tour at 3:30pm in the lobby. Dine at each restaurant so you can taste all the different African foods. Spend some time at the pool of course. There are events/activities each day for kids in Boma. There are not advertised well, so just know that there is something each day at 1pm there. Most importantly, be sure to talk to the African people working there. My favorite was Bushman #1, he is the artist that works out of Zawadi, the marketplace. He is wonderful and enthusiastic. His art is beautiful, and he loves to talk to the guests.

We did use points for the room. Since we were not concierge, we were unable to take part in the sunrise safari. That is only for concierge.

I'm going to try to link to my post on the resorts board. If it works, this is a first.

http://64.225.125.24/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38121

A1A1, we are going to Vero Beach the end of June after 3 nights at Hard Rock Hotel and 8 nights at the Dolphin! We are staying in an Inn Oceanview room and I have been wondering if there are hairdryers in these rooms? It sounds like you had a great time at VB, I can't wait to go and have some time to relax after the parks! My 7 year old DD can't wait to try the "castle slide"!

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl. Not trying to butt in on this post but I just got back from a VB/BWV trip and we stayed in an ocean view deluxe room at VB. Yes, there are hairdryers in the room. They are attached to wall of the bathroom. And they work well!! The slide was awesome!! Your kids will adore it. Have a terrific time!

Thanks for the info prncssjas!! At least I won't have to pack the blow dryer, any space savings in the suitcase is graet LOL. Just a little over 2 weeks until we leave and I can't wait!

Cheryl

I was lucky enough to just snag 2 nights (7/4 & 5) at VB. The only thing available was a studio. Where are these located and how is the view?

The studios are located around this small resort. There are buildings with various one and two bedrooms and studios. You will have a garden view, most likely, and will be able to hear the rush of the ocean waves. You will really enjoy this resort. Have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter