JUST BACK FROM AULANI

poohgirl6

I dream of Stormalong Bay
Hi All! We just got back Sunday from a week long stay at Aulani. The resort was so beautiful and the weather was absolutely perfect. DH and I took or DD and DGD (5 1/2 yrs) and we all had a blast. We stayed in a 1 BR villa with Ocean View (1512) and the view was wonderful. All cast members were so helpful and friendly. The whole resort had a laid back vibe (except for the whole pool chair nonsense). We ate breakfast at Ama Ama twice and did the luau. Prices were high but expected, as this is Hawaii + Disney. Can't recommend this lovely resort enough. If you're considering going....just do it. I don't think you'll regret it. We are not DVC, I made reservation through WDW using the 30% winter code. I will try to post some pics later when I have time.

Hi All! We just got back Sunday from a week long stay at Aulani. The resort was so beautiful and the weather was absolutely perfect. DH and I took or DD and DGD (5 1/2 yrs) and we all had a blast. We stayed in a 1 BR villa with Ocean View (1512) and the view was wonderful. All cast members were so helpful and friendly. The whole resort had a laid back vibe (except for the whole pool chair nonsense). We ate breakfast at Ama Ama twice and did the luau. Prices were high but expected, as this is Hawaii + Disney. Can't recommend this lovely resort enough. If you're considering going....just do it. I don't think you'll regret it. We are not DVC, I made reservation through WDW using the 30% winter code. I will try to post some pics later when I have time.

Can I ask a few questions? Did your purchase one of the refillable mugs? Just wondering if they are still the same blue or brown and character designs, and if they have gone to the chipped ones yet. Did you notice if they still have a refillable popcorn bucket at Ulu?

Thanks! Taking my mom in May and making plans. My last visit was in 2017 so I am trying to get caught up on any changes :)

Regarding that pool chair nonsense, I was at bay Lake Tower this weekend and my friend asked if the staff put towels on the pool chairs every morning because so many people had already run out put towels on chairs and then went back inside. Aulani was one place I had no qualms about moving the stuff if it was abandoned for too long!

Can I ask a few questions? Did your purchase one of the refillable mugs? Just wondering if they are still the same blue or brown and character designs, and if they have gone to the chipped ones yet. Did you notice if they still have a refillable popcorn bucket at Ulu?

Yes. I am not OP but was there Jan 5 - 17. Character mugs with blue and green lids and the blue and brown/red other mugs. No chip. Same popcorn bucket that I’ve ever seen online, too.

Thanks! Taking my mom in May and making plans. My last visit was in 2017 so I am trying to get caught up on any changes :)

Regarding that pool chair nonsense, I was at bay Lake Tower this weekend and my friend asked if the staff put towels on the pool chairs every morning because so many people had already run out put towels on chairs and then went back inside. Aulani was one place I had no qualms about moving the stuff if it was abandoned for too long!

Obviously I just need to PM you my questions, lol! Thanks! I know exactly where my mugs and popcorn bucket are :) Now I can buy the photopass with the $$ I save on those :)

I see another poster answered your question about refillable mugs, which is a good thing: I didn't buy one or ever see them in use lol

Glad you had fun. What’s the whole pool chair nonsense? Going in September and want to be prepared for it. Lol

Glad you had fun. What’s the whole pool chair nonsense? Going in September and want to be prepared for it. Lol
People getting up early and putting towels on chairs to "save" them for hours later. Aulani CM are pretty vigilant and if you are not have used the lounger in 1hr they typically remove the items to free up more seating. Common name for these people that do this is called "chair hogs".

People getting up early and putting towels on chairs to "save" them for hours later. Aulani CM are pretty vigilant and if you are not have used the lounger in 1hr they typically remove the items to free up more seating. Common name for these people that do this is called "chair hogs".

I have another name for them but yours is much more polite.

Yes, the pool chair struggle is real, especially at the Menehune Bridge area (kiddie pool). However, there really are adequate chairs around most areas, you just need to keep looking around corners, down a few steps etc. Almost daily on our trek through the pool areas to the beach we'd discover another new area with lounge chairs. They might not be in exactly the spot you prefer, but there's alot scattered around. The staff did try to inquire, straighten up, etc but people seem to abandon their wet towels on their chair instead of taking them to towel return and leaving their lounger free when done. This whole thing sounds worse here on the boards than it really is in person. It's about the only thing I found to complain about at Aulani...lol. Also, as others have noted, there is always plenty of open loungers on the beach.

CHogs:bitelip:

On cruises I’ve seen pool staff put stickers with code/time on the back on loungers when they observe guests leaving, but still holding down the chair with a personal item.

when we were there we had a hard time the first morning trying to find chairs. My DH went down early and got coffee and saved to chairs for us and the kids as we aren't there the whole time, but someone usually is. If you go down and just put a towel on the chairs they get removed when the pool opens. You have to literally sit down there to keep it. But going before pool opens helps.

So, trying to upload a few pics from our trip from a few weeks ago. We've already booked a return trip with another grandchild in May. Can't wait to return!

Here's DD & DGD with Moana (we literally just ran into her) 49899888_10155788823022657_9217422845724852224_n.jpg

50012336_10102638233715831_3204401427971571712_n.jpg Aulani Lagoon around sunset

50072390_10102639504479211_7118951088174137344_n.jpg DH taking a quick ukulele lesson at luau

50192607_10102641268613871_5722738408011333632_o.jpg DGD with her favorite: Mickey Shave Ice

50250773_10155787484152657_3314077188856217600_n.jpg DGD throwing a shaka while we listen to live music at sunset

50309647_10219409170686814_1236553348312727552_n.jpg DGD & I showing our tattoos at luau50471994_10102641268698701_7810215938342518784_o.jpg 50543001_10219436651173809_1587023336796323840_n.jpg 50574083_10219453213227850_2048949362993659904_n.jpg

Attachments

• 50057262_10102639037050941_1647422907829190656_n.jpg
    50057262_10102639037050941_1647422907829190656_n.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 13
Awww thank you so much. I really appreciate the compliment because after 15 years of coloring my hair, I let it go grey last year :hippie:
Well it looks awesome! I’m not ready to quit coloring mine just yet, but when I do, I hope it looks as good as yours! Like the cut too.

Thanks for the review and glad to hear that you had such a great time! I visited Aulani in 2012 and it was amazing. The resort was not completely done being built, so the pool chairs weren't an issue and we felt lucky that we got to experience it less crowded. The DVC villas are the way to go though and really one of the best resorts in the collection. Thanks again for sharing.

We saw a lot of people doing the chair hog thing when we were there last week. We are early birds, so we just went down there at 8 am and picked our chairs and hung out in the sun all day long!

You got my vote for coolest Grandma ever
#GrandmaGoals
Now I am dreaming of taking my grandkids (that dont exist yet) to Aulani

also, I LOVE that mug! Think I will need to get one next time...

Last week we saw someone put down towels and then say "ok, let go get the rental car..." Seriously?!?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter