Just back from Aulani

AustinTink

DIS Veteran
Just got home from our 5 nights at Aulani. The goal for this trip was total relaxation and Aulani did not disappoint! This trip was a stopover for us on the way home from Australia. So, we were mentally and physically fried when we arrived from the sensory overload of our first time down under.

We spent the majority of our time in the lagoon. We would float out to the buoys and hang out away from the crowd with just the sound of the peaceful motion of the water. Pure heaven. We also did stand up paddle boarding and the catamaran cruise. We truly spent 75% of our water time in the lagoon, 20% adult hot tub and the other 5% getting a drink from the pool bar.

There’s a lot to cover but my brain is mush from the 18 days of travel. I’ll come back to this thread and add more when I have slept for a solid 8 hours.

Mahalo for all the tips before this trip. They came in very handy.

Hello,

We're arriving in Waikiki on Oct. 11 and then going on the 14-night DCL Cruise to Sydney. After staying in Sydney for 5 nights we're heading back to Oahu to stay 5 nights at Aulani. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your experience in Australia, where you went, what you saw and where you ate etc. Also, did you fly Quantas back to Oahu from Sydney? It seems pricy, but not much else for a one-way flight from SYD to HNL.

Hello,

We're arriving in Waikiki on Oct. 11 and then going on the 14-night DCL Cruise to Sydney. After staying in Sydney for 5 nights we're heading back to Oahu to stay 5 nights at Aulani. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your experience in Australia, where you went, what you saw and where you ate etc. Also, did you fly Quantas back to Oahu from Sydney? It seems pricy, but not much else for a one-way flight from SYD to HNL.
Hi-

We flew Hawaiian airlines back from Sydney to Oahu. The price was much less than Quantas. We chose the extra comfort seats for this leg of the trip. It was bearable but just barely. Hawaiian is by far the worst airline we have flown as far as amenities, food, communication and major delays go. Couple that with the fact that we flew Polaris class on United out to Sydney, the flight back paled in comparison.

Highlights from our Sydney trip… there are so many, this trip was truly the trip of a lifetime and Sydney blew us away.

1) Manly Beach- the cutest little seaside town. We wished we had more than one day there. We also went to Bondi Beach but we preferred Manly Beach by a mile. Bondi felt so touristy while Manly was so laidback. Make sure to take the “scenic walk” along the coast it’s so relaxing with breathtaking views. You can easily access Manly Beach via ferry from Circular Quay.

2) Circular Quay- this is your hub for all things transportation including ferries, trains and Metro. You can buy your Opal card there or at any EZ Mart convenience store. They are everywhere. That is your metro card for all forms of transportation. Also in Circular Quay you will find lots of places to eat as well as the Sydney Opera House.

3) Opera House- please, please, please take in a performance and if you have time do the daytime tour as well. The tour was fascinating. The concert hall where the symphony performs is absolutely beautiful. We were lucky enough to be there for the symphony’s 50th anniversary celebration. It was incredible.

4) Pitt Street- our hotel was in the CBD (downtown central business district) on the corner of Pitt and O’Connell. Pitt street is a major artery that will take you to the shopping district in one direction and the harbour in the other. It’s impossible to get lost if you stay close to Pitt.

5) Bondi Beach area- You can do Bondi Beach, North Bondi, Rose Bay and Double Bay in one day. The two bay villages are very cute with great shops and cafes along their main streets.

6) Taronga Zoo- a pretty immersive zoo pretty much cage free. It’s a half day experience and a nice ferry ride to get there. At the ferry landing you can either walk the steep hill to the entrance or take a bus there. We walked and by the end of our half-day we wished we hadn’t. The zoo is like a maze and we took a lot of extra steps trying to find our way out. 😂

7) The Rocks- historic district just steps from where your cruise ship will dock. Lots of shops and cafes in there. There is also an outdoor market on the weekends with shopping and international food stalls. We ate at the Orient Hotel our first night in their outdoor beer garden. Great people watching. They also had a great band playing just inside the pub. We also ate at Pony which was a more upscale modern Australian restaurant in the rocks. Squire’s Landing is very popular at the cruise terminal and has fabulous views of the opera house. Behind there is Campbell’s Cove with 3 or 4 restaurants it’s a really pretty walk at night to that area with the city and the Opera house all lit up. We took so many pictures in that area.

8) Darling Harbour- more shopping, dining, sea museum and aquarium. We spent a few hours there.

9) Harbour Cruise- there are several hop-on/hop-off cruises that operate out of Circular Quay. They run about 90 minutes and it’s good to do on your first day to kind of acclimate yourself to the city and surrounding areas. The you know where you want to return to when you see an area that piques your interest.

10) Coffee- if you are a coffee drinker you are in for a treat. Australian coffee is the best coffee I’ve had thus far in all my travels. The Australian “flat white” was my morning cup of coffee daily and it’s the most velvety taste of perfection you will ever try. I’ve been dreaming about it ever since we got home. Have a TimTam with it for an afternoon snack for the total Australian experience.

11) Royal Botanic Gardens- beautiful green space. There are a few different tours and walks you can do through the gardens.

12) Safety- I spent 5 mornings on my own exploring while my husband was at work and I have to say I have never felt more safe in any big city. The people of Sydney were truly lovely and the city itself was so clean and welcoming. It’s a very walkable city so bring your walking shoes and get ready to explore!

That’s it for now. Hope you have a fabulous time in Sydney.

Hi-

We flew Hawaiian airlines back from Sydney to Oahu. The price was much less than Quantas. We chose the extra comfort seats for this leg of the trip. It was bearable but just barely. Hawaiian is by far the worst airline we have flown as far as amenities, food, communication and major delays go. Couple that with the fact that we flew Polaris class on United out to Sydney, the flight back paled in comparison.

Highlights from our Sydney trip… there are so many, this trip was truly the trip of a lifetime and Sydney blew us away.

1) Manly Beach- the cutest little seaside town. We wished we had more than one day there. We also went to Bondi Beach but we preferred Manly Beach by a mile. Bondi felt so touristy while Manly was so laidback. Make sure to take the “scenic walk” along the coast it’s so relaxing with breathtaking views. You can easily access Manly Beach via ferry from Circular Quay.

2) Circular Quay- this is your hub for all things transportation including ferries, trains and Metro. You can buy your Opal card there or at any EZ Mart convenience store. They are everywhere. That is your metro card for all forms of transportation. Also in Circular Quay you will find lots of places to eat as well as the Sydney Opera House.

3) Opera House- please, please, please take in a performance and if you have time do the daytime tour as well. The tour was fascinating. The concert hall where the symphony performs is absolutely beautiful. We were lucky enough to be there for the symphony’s 50th anniversary celebration. It was incredible.

4) Pitt Street- our hotel was in the CBD (downtown central business district) on the corner of Pitt and O’Connell. Pitt street is a major artery that will take you to the shopping district in one direction and the harbour in the other. It’s impossible to get lost if you stay close to Pitt.

5) Bondi Beach area- You can do Bondi Beach, North Bondi, Rose Bay and Double Bay in one day. The two bay villages are very cute with great shops and cafes along their main streets.

6) Taronga Zoo- a pretty immersive zoo pretty much cage free. It’s a half day experience and a nice ferry ride to get there. At the ferry landing you can either walk the steep hill to the entrance or take a bus there. We walked and by the end of our half-day we wished we hadn’t. The zoo is like a maze and we took a lot of extra steps trying to find our way out. 😂

7) The Rocks- historic district just steps from where your cruise ship will dock. Lots of shops and cafes in there. There is also an outdoor market on the weekends with shopping and international food stalls. We ate at the Orient Hotel our first night in their outdoor beer garden. Great people watching. They also had a great band playing just inside the pub. We also ate at Pony which was a more upscale modern Australian restaurant in the rocks. Squire’s Landing is very popular at the cruise terminal and has fabulous views of the opera house. Behind there is Campbell’s Cove with 3 or 4 restaurants it’s a really pretty walk at night to that area with the city and the Opera house all lit up. We took so many pictures in that area.

8) Darling Harbour- more shopping, dining, sea museum and aquarium. We spent a few hours there.

9) Harbour Cruise- there are several hop-on/hop-off cruises that operate out of Circular Quay. They run about 90 minutes and it’s good to do on your first day to kind of acclimate yourself to the city and surrounding areas. The you know where you want to return to when you see an area that piques your interest.

10) Coffee- if you are a coffee drinker you are in for a treat. Australian coffee is the best coffee I’ve had thus far in all my travels. The Australian “flat white” was my morning cup of coffee daily and it’s the most velvety taste of perfection you will ever try. I’ve been dreaming about it ever since we got home. Have a TimTam with it for an afternoon snack for the total Australian experience.

11) Royal Botanic Gardens- beautiful green space. There are a few different tours and walks you can do through the gardens.

12) Safety- I spent 5 mornings on my own exploring while my husband was at work and I have to say I have never felt more safe in any big city. The people of Sydney were truly lovely and the city itself was so clean and welcoming. It’s a very walkable city so bring your walking shoes and get ready to explore!

I am saving this for our potential Australian trip in 2025.

Hi,

Thank you so much for all of the great information. We can't wait to arrive in Sydney. I'll be checking flying back to HNL on Hawaiian.

I am saving this for our potential Australian trip in 2025.
I hope you go! I never thought I would take a trip down under. But, wow, I’m so glad we did. I loved every second of it. I hope to go back someday.

Reactions: rlk
Just got home from our 5 nights at Aulani. The goal for this trip was total relaxation and Aulani did not disappoint! This trip was a stopover for us on the way home from Australia. So, we were mentally and physically fried when we arrived from the sensory overload of our first time down under.

We spent the majority of our time in the lagoon. We would float out to the buoys and hang out away from the crowd with just the sound of the peaceful motion of the water. Pure heaven. We also did stand up paddle boarding and the catamaran cruise. We truly spent 75% of our water time in the lagoon, 20% adult hot tub and the other 5% getting a drink from the pool bar.

There’s a lot to cover but my brain is mush from the 18 days of travel. I’ll come back to this thread and add more when I have slept for a solid 8 hours.

Mahalo for all the tips before this trip. They came in very handy.
We are heading to Aulani next Tuesday and was wondering how the weather was? Crowds? Did you do dinner at AMA'AMA? Thanks for the review!

Aulani trip highlights:

I mentioned in my first post that the lagoon was the highlight for us. We spent hours each day floating, swimming, paddle boarding etc. It was just our speed.

Other observations:

Room: we loved our ground floor room. For us, it was truly the best room in the house. My husband was always on coffee and breakfast duty, popping over to Ulu for provisions. Then we would take our time eating on the lanai. It was lush around the trail to our patio and felt very private. We considered it our own little cabana and would take breaks on the patio chairs a couple times a day. It was so relaxing to hear the water sounds and the Hawaiian music while we chilled out. Room was 10/10.

Food: We are older empty nesters so no character breakfast for us. We ate on our patio each morning and it was heaven. Lunch was poolside every day alternating between the poolside menu (great burgers!) and Ulu (husband is addicted to the poke bowls!) The bar next to the former adult pool is where we would order our cocktails in the afternoon. Husband loved the Lava Flow and I liked the blended strawberry margarita. What can I say I’m a tequila girl. For dinner Longhi’s was our favorite and the Olelo room came in 2nd place. They felt more comfortable for us traveling without kids… more adult. Longhi’s food was excellent with a nice bottle of Brunello.

Pools: We did the lazy river once but really when we were not in the lagoon we were in the adult hot tub. Our other spot was the former adult pool near the bar. They really need to make this an adult pool again. It’s really only fair. There are so many other options for families traveling with kids, they don’t need this pool. At any rate, we liked that it was off the beaten path around the corner. Easy place to chill.

Hotel grounds: we must have a hundred pictures of the buildings, landscaping, beach area, walkway to the other hotels, etc. I honestly could not fathom how beautiful and well-done Aulani is until I saw it with my own two eyes. It makes the Four Seasons look so basic in comparison. The dancers and guitar player were performing in the lobby when we first arrived and it just felt like we stepped into “Hawaii Land”. The whole resort was themed like only Disney can do. Bravo.

Excursions: We had a circle island tour booked and decided not to go at the last minute. The tour buses were loud and crowded and we just didn’t want to break out of full relaxation mode on a bus full of screamers. So we hopped off the bus before departing and did another resort day. Best. Decision. Ever. Lost a bit of $$ but who cares.

As you can probably tell the name of the game was relax. Our Sydney trip during the 9 days prior to Hawaii was go, go, go and walk, walk, walk. Aulani for us was eat, sip, float. We did just that.

So it turns out Aulani can be as much or as little action as you want it to be. If you want to just hang out and enjoy the scenery it’s very easy to do just that.

We will return but for sure we will always choose off season as we did this trip. There were no lines and the common areas were manageable. Any crowd more than that and it would have been a whole different vibe.

We even talked about buying DVC…

We are heading to Aulani next Tuesday and was wondering how the weather was? Crowds? Did you do dinner at AMA'AMA? Thanks for the review!
The weather was perfect maybe a high of 84 each day, it felt cooler though. The lagoon water was not too warm or cold, just right. The pools were also just right. Lazy river was a tad chilly but easy to get used to. Hot tubs were right on.

Crowds were very light. No lines for food or anything really. We had no problem whatsoever getting chairs at any hour. Our longest wait for a table was about 15 minutes for Olelo walk up.

We didn’t do AMA AMA there was not much for me to choose from on their menu given my food allergies.

Hope that helps.

Forgot to mention Monkeypod in my review. We were not feeling it. I had the steak with jalapeño mashed potatoes, both were gross. Can’t remember what my husband had. I will say the pies were delicious we had the chocolate pie and the coconut pie. We also shared a bottle of Prosecco with our meal. It made the entree much more palatable. :-)

Desserts: The pie/dessert winner for us overall was the warm Macadamia Pie with caramel sauce and topped with ice cream at Longhi’s. We also tried the chocolate lava cake there too. Both decadent but Mac Pie won by a mile. I need to find a recipe that looks like a match so I can make it at home. DH ate the leftover Mac pie for breakfast the next day. Lol.

Olelo room desserts are worth passing on, btw. We tried two and both were forgettable. I literally can’t remember which ones they were. Just remember we didn’t like or finish them.

Yes, it was a two dessert vacation for us with every dinner. The only way!

Olelo room desserts are worth passing on, btw. We tried two and both were forgettable. I literally can’t remember which ones they were. Just remember we didn’t like or finish them.
😮 You take that back! 😁 I make it a point to escape to the olelo bar at least 1 or 2 nights to have their pineapple cobbler with an island bliss

One of my favorite desserts anywhere

Hi-

Ahhh...ok, I saw you on another thread....see you did Austrailia and then a stopover at Aulani on the way back. Very cool. Also very interesting to read you flew Polaris out to Sydney. We flew United Polaris on the 767-400 from Newark to HNL (direct flight which was great) and were hoping in the weeks before that we'd get the actual new refitted interiors (the 767s are the last in the United fleet to get the updated pods)....and we did! And boy...was that sweet. But interesting notes that make *no* sense with respect to United Polaris....is that because Newark to HNL (direct flight.....11.5 hours) was domestic, even though we had the pods, we didn't get the mattress cover for our lie-flat seat. And also, we didn't get the updated Polaris menu....food on the way out was decent ( hot breakfast and a hot lunch)....on the way back, the "chicken katsu" was just awful. I let United know about that. The final breakfast before landing wasn't so bad. But we really loved the new pods...and on the 767...the odd window seats were best as you had two windows to yourself and lots of privacy. We saw the layout and since our flights switched seating about 48 hours before our flights as the configuration on the new interior was totally different, we snagged odd window seats. We've been married for 25 years....told each other...."see you in Honolulu!" ;).

Glad you had a great trip!

I'll enjoy reading about your Australia trip. Definitely high up on our list as well. We met two couples who had stopped over in Hawaii....one on the way back from a long trip to Australia....another from Japan. We decided we'd do the same some day :). Makes total sense. We were right next to you....over at the Four Seasons Ko Olina for a few days before heading to the Big Island.

Forgot to mention Monkeypod in my review. We were not feeling it. I had the steak with jalapeño mashed potatoes, both were gross. Can’t remember what my husband had. I will say the pies were delicious we had the chocolate pie and the coconut pie. We also shared a bottle of Prosecco with our meal. It made the entree much more palatable. :-)

Desserts: The pie/dessert winner for us overall was the warm Macadamia Pie with caramel sauce and topped with ice cream at Longhi’s. We also tried the chocolate lava cake there too. Both decadent but Mac Pie won by a mile. I need to find a recipe that looks like a match so I can make it at home. DH ate the leftover Mac pie for breakfast the next day. Lol.

Yes, it was a two dessert vacation for us with every dinner. The only way!

We didn't do Monkeypods....but boy do a lot of people talk about it. We stuck to the Four Seasons for our time there...kept it simple and the food was good.

Ahhh...ok, I saw you on another thread....see you did Austrailia and then a stopover at Aulani on the way back. Very cool. Also very interesting to read you flew Polaris out to Sydney. We flew United Polaris on the 767-400 from Newark to HNL (direct flight which was great) and were hoping in the weeks before that we'd get the actual new refitted interiors (the 767s are the last in the United fleet to get the updated pods)....and we did! And boy...was that sweet. But interesting notes that make *no* sense with respect to United Polaris....is that because Newark to HNL (direct flight.....11.5 hours) was domestic, even though we had the pods, we didn't get the mattress cover for our lie-flat seat. And also, we didn't get the updated Polaris menu....food on the way out was decent ( hot breakfast and a hot lunch)....on the way back, the "chicken katsu" was just awful. I let United know about that. The final breakfast before landing wasn't so bad. But we really loved the new pods...and on the 767...the odd window seats were best as you had two windows to yourself and lots of privacy. We saw the layout and since our flights switched seating about 48 hours before our flights as the configuration on the new interior was totally different, we snagged odd window seats. We've been married for 25 years....told each other...."see you in Honolulu!" ;).

Glad you had a great trip!

I'll enjoy reading about your Australia trip. Definitely high up on our list as well. We met two couples who had stopped over in Hawaii....one on the way back from a long trip to Australia....another from Japan. We decided we'd do the same some day :). Makes total sense. We were right next to you....over at the Four Seasons Ko Olina for a few days before heading to the Big Island.
Ok, so I’m embarrassed to admit this but we ate like pigs on the Polaris flight out to Sydney because the food was so GOOD and plentiful. They just kept offering and we just kept responding yes! Lol.

We had the fully updated Polaris menu. We didn’t think they would be serving a full dinner since our flight left at 11pm but they did. So, before the dinner we had already been munching on the cheese plate and warm nuts, wine, etc. Then they brought the dinner menus. I had the braised short rib, potatoes and roasted carrots. It came with a very fresh green salad and another side dish of creamy goat cheese and chilled veggies and assorted bread. Then I had an ice cream sundae for dessert. Mind you, we had just left the Polaris lounge at LAX where we had a full dinner (the Polaris burger is incredible, husband had butternut squash ravioli) plus snacks and cocktails just hours before. The Polaris lounge at LAX is pretty awesome and our favorite lounge so far.

We slept for about 6 hours after that and they came around and offered grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup (along with other snacks) since it was not quite breakfast time yet. We said but of course! Then a few hours later it was time for breakfast. I chose French toast with fruit salad and yogurt on the side. I think DH had the omelette.

We were on the 787 Dreamliner and it was over 15 hours to Sydney so we did have the full treatment as far as the pods go. We had the mattress pad, blanket, duvet, two kinds of pillows and the cute little amenity kit by Away. I love those little suitcase shaped amenity kits. We also asked for the pajamas early because sometimes they run out.

Gotta say we arrived in Sydney pretty pain free flying Polaris. I’m glad we chose United for our flight out over Quantas.

We’re married 26 years but we still chose the two pods together that actually make into a nice private super pod when the divider is down between them. I’m a nervous flyer so I have to have him next to me, whether he likes it or not! 😂

😮 You take that back! 😁 I make it a point to escape to the olelo bar at least 1 or 2 nights to have their pineapple cobbler with an island bliss

One of my favorite desserts anywhere
That’s what we had, the pineapple cobbler and the coffee cheesecake. Sorry I cannot tell a lie, I just didn’t like it. It tasted mass produced.

Now the warm Mac Pie at Longhi’s is drool worthy!

Hi-

Thanks for the great info for a potential trip there!

Ok, so I’m embarrassed to admit this but we ate like pigs on the Polaris flight out to Sydney because the food was so GOOD and plentiful. They just kept offering and we just kept responding yes! Lol.

We had the fully updated Polaris menu. We didn’t think they would be serving a full dinner since our flight left at 11pm but they did. So, before the dinner we had already been munching on the cheese plate and warm nuts, wine, etc. Then they brought the dinner menus. I had the braised short rib, potatoes and roasted carrots. It came with a very fresh green salad and another side dish of creamy goat cheese and chilled veggies and assorted bread. Then I had an ice cream sundae for dessert. Mind you, we had just left the Polaris lounge at LAX where we had a full dinner (the Polaris burger is incredible, husband had butternut squash ravioli) plus snacks and cocktails just hours before. The Polaris lounge at LAX is pretty awesome and our favorite lounge so far.

We slept for about 6 hours after that and they came around and offered grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup (along with other snacks) since it was not quite breakfast time yet. We said but of course! Then a few hours later it was time for breakfast. I chose French toast with fruit salad and yogurt on the side. I think DH had the omelette.

We were on the 787 Dreamliner and it was over 15 hours to Sydney so we did have the full treatment as far as the pods go. We had the mattress pad, blanket, duvet, two kinds of pillows and the cute little amenity kit by Away. I love those little suitcase shaped amenity kits. We also asked for the pajamas early because sometimes they run out.

Gotta say we arrived in Sydney pretty pain free flying Polaris. I’m glad we chose United for our flight out over Quantas.

We’re married 26 years but we still chose the two pods together that actually make into a nice private super pod when the divider is down between them. I’m a nervous flyer so I have to have him next to me, whether he likes it or not! 😂

Ha...there's no shame in that game! We got the updated pods and it says "Polaris" in the cabin, but on the United Reddit subthread they call it "Fauxlaris". No access to the Polaris lounge as it's domestic (again...11.5 hours!!). Also, apparently there's a ton of reward travel used on the flights to Hawaii and not so much business travel, so they're just not going to pull out all of the stops. On the flight back....which departed at 2:50pm, arrived 6:30 am in Newark....in domestic, they did not serve a meal!! Only offered "snacks for sale". I couldn't believe that....on an 11 hour flight!

We'll fly the *real* Polaris for the first time when we go to South Africa in September of 2024 (too early to even book it yet), on the Dreamliner. And then, we'll choose those middle seats as it makes sense. On the 767, the closest you can get to your partner is to sit on the "window" seat that faces away from the window and the middle seat that faces toward the aisle, but when laying down...you can't see each other. You'd have to lean all the way forward to see each other. But on the 787, we'd choose the seats you guys did.

And you'd better believe that we'll get to that airport early to check out that lounge.....the tickets ain't cheap, and I want to see it....lol! And now I know to ask for the pajamas early.....thx for the tip! Don't know if I'll wear them....but I will want them...lol. I haven't had an ice cream sundae on a flight since the late 90s when we got upgraded on United from SFO to EWR....we were young and it was our first time flying up there. And it was the old business....which is "still business" on older international flights now (we've flown it to Cabo a couple of times).....but still, it was pretty cool back then. I'll fast for a day or so if need be for flight to South Africa :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter