• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from first visit to BW (various topics/ little long)

TheWho

DIS Veteran'
First of all, it's me, my wife and two daughters, 5+ yrs. old and 18 months yrs. old.
After a co-worker sold me points for a brief Sun-Thur OKW stay in 1998, I've been curious about DVC and have been lurking these wonderful boards since then. We finally brought last October at BW. Our first stay was at BWV last week in a one bedroom, standard view. In a word, the stay was fantastic. My high expectations were more than met. Let me post some thoughts that came to mind when I was there:

LOCATION. Boy did we take advantage of that. Having two kids in strollers can be a pain the a** when dragging onto buses, trams or a rental car. So many nights we walked to EPCOT for a quick bite. (fish & chips in the UK, nachos in Mexico, pretzels and beer in Germany, or crepes in France). The MGM walk seemed slightly longer but was still feasible. When we used the boats, you are able to stroll the strollers right onto them. A nice perk. Also at night, we also walked to the Beach Club area and ate at Beaches n' Cream or hung at the beach or played in the arcade.

POOL at BWV. My older daughter is 5 1/2 yrs. old and was able to use the slide with "swimmies". This is a kid who barely swims and is just starting to go under water. She loved the slide. Because of this, I didn't wander off to SAB to test the "Pool Hop Ban" which seemed in a high state of alert at BW. My daughter was loving our pool all week.

ONE BEDROOM, STANDARD. We were in room 3075, overlooking the valet area. I saved on the points so I'm happy. Although, I think a BW view would be nice to try once. However, I guess it's a bit of a gamble since some preferred views are better than others. The 48 points I saved does feel good today.

VALET PARKING. I'm one of those people that never use valet parking. As a matter of fact, I usually get my own luggage cart and lug all the stuff up to the room. However, I really enjoyed the pampering w/ valet parking. I know there is a hidden fee called the "tip", but I enjoyed it. The guys were real nice and earned all the tips.

STUDIO vs. ONE BEDROOM. I had guests visit one night and I reserved a studio for them (they were real impressed). I might be in the minority, but the studio might be fine for our next trip. I know many people have posted and said it is diffilcult going from a one bedroom to a studio. However, I am seriously considering staying longer (like ten days) in a studio than one week in a one bedroom. Granted, I would miss the jacuzzi and the washer/dryer, but the point saving would be great. The four of us did stay at AKL for one night and did fine with the room. (of course, the studio has more , the refrig, microwave etc.)

FINALLY, THOSE THREE CRANES AT BEACH CLUB WERE ALWAYS LOOKING AT ME. Like a lot of people after their first trip, I regret I didn't buy more points initially. Although, every where I went, the constuction cranes at the BC villas were yelling at me to save money for next year. I don't know what the exact cost will be or the point structure, but the location is perfect and it's associated with a first class resort. A nice combination.

By the way, when I stayed at OKW in '98, I also loved the feel of the place and plan to go back in future visits. We also checked out WLV and were impressed. The wooded area looked like a great place in the summer heat. Another future visit once we get BW out of our system.

Also, did not use the buses. I got scared off with all the recent negative posts. We drove to MK, Downtown Disney.

I have a lot of other thoughts about kids stuff, eating experinces, etc. As usual, ask any questions or comment freely. Later.

Dave

Glad to to hear that your first DVC trip was so great. I'm sure there will be many more to come. It has got to be great with young kids. In my case, I didn't buy in until my kids were nearly 20. We had been to WDW but it is a whole new ball game with the DVC. We still have great vacations (as a matter of fact when your kids are in their 20s, a trip to WDW is one of the few vacations that they will be interested in). Enjoy. We, me and the boss, will be there for a short week in 99 days.

I am soooooooo excited about going Home, but also have 2 small children (1 and 3) and have so many questions about where, what, when........ as you said, strollers can be a real problem with the buses. How did you like the activity oon the boardwalk? Did your kids let you forget about MK for a bit while being in "Atlantic City"? I am so glad you had a great time! I too think a studio may be the way to extend our stay. 150 points just doesn't go that far, but ya do what ya can do! BTW, did you drive or fly?
Gosh, I didn't realize how many questions I really had! :)
Kathy:earsboy: :earsgirl:
:earsboy: :earsboy:

You're going to love it. It sounds like you are going to bring your own strollers which is smart because there is a lot nice walking along the BW, not to mention over to the Beach Club/Yacht Club area. Even if you enter EPCOT from the resort entrance (BW/BC), the stoller rental is way up in the front of the theme park. So it's smart to bring your own. As far as the BW goes, there's a great bakery which opens at 7 am with seating on the BW. You have little kids so you'll probably be up early. The pool is open 24 hours, lifeguards only between 10am to 10pm. A great candy/ice cream store. An arcade at ESPN and across the way at BC. There's face painting, hair beading, pin sales, carnival games, performers, and you can slightly see most of EPCOT fireworks at 9pm. At dusk/dark is when the BW really gets jumping. My wife and I actually enjoyed watching the people at night even if the kids fell asleep in the strollers. Why? Because it is possible to roll the strollers to the elevators, up to the room and, with a little luck, place them still asleep in the bed. No cars or buses, right from the stroller to the bed. A nice touch. Also, walk over to the beach at dusk and have your kids play in the sand. It's one of those quiet moments I'll remember this winter.
We flew from Newark to Orlando using Delta. Both flights were perfectly on time and my 18 month yr old slept an hour on each flight. She did not have seat. I was a little nervous about her mood on the flight but the plane did have a lot on kids on board. I rented a car through National using the Emerald club. The big expense is the car seat which is $7 a day. However, I wanted the car to drive to Wal-Mart to buy diapers and juice for the little one.

hope I helped. Feel free again.

Dave

I just wanted to make a correction on the strollers. You can rent strollers at the International Gateway at Epcot. They are to the left after you go through the gates. But I highly recommend taking your own because you will need them to walk back to the Boardwalk if you don't take the boat. Have a good time!

We just bought inlast June and have stayed at HH in a 2 bedroom, VB in a one bedroom , and the BWV twice in Dec in 1 bedr and this past Jne in a studio(my dh had to fly for work). The kids and I were very impressed with the studio, it seemed much larger than a typical hotel room. I think you would be happy in a studio, we were. Granted when my dh is with us he insists on a one bedroom. But when he's not I save points and get the studio!

You know what's funny, with all the activity on the BW at night, we really didn't spend much time in the room. I thought with two little kids we would be hanging in the room at night waiting for them to fall sleep. Then it dawned on me, that's what we do every night here in NJ. At BW, we were only an elevator ride away from our room. Our typical day was eat breakfast in room, go to parks by 8:30, come back to room at 2pm ish, nap/relax in room, and then walk to EPCOT/MGM/or just BW at 5 or 6pm and came back to room when kids got tired. I really didn't utilize the one bedroom (except for the washer/dryer and the jacuzzi slightly) In regard to all of us sleeping in one room, last week the four of us actually all fell asleep in the king bed one night. I then woke up around 2 am, opened the couch and had a nice peaceful 4 hour sleep. (that 4 hours alone was worth the $12,000 we paid last fall) Anyway, when considering the point saving, I'm certainly considering a studio next time.

Dave

Dave,

My sentiments as well. It was the location that sold me on Boardwalk Villas. I also agree with you about the lure of the Beach Club Villas. I presently own 150 points at Boardwalk Villas but am holding out to buy another 150 point contract at Beach Club Villas.

I will probably buy a use year at BCV which is 6 months away from my use year at BWV. That way I will have a 11 month booking window all year round at either of the 2 resorts.

Dumbo

Dumbo, Not sure you can do that since you will be buying from Disney, and they will make both contracts the same use year. When we added on, they did that. It might be different when it is a different resort though. Someone here will know for sure.

Dave,
Did you notice much noise coming from the BW at night? I have heard some complaints about the people getting out of the clubs late at night and making alot of noise.

Gosh, I love reading this thread because it just brings so much back. We stayed at BWV this past February (our first stay as DVC members) and faced the Boardwalk. The noise wasn't a problem at all because we were up high. The view was great and was rather exciting.

What's really wonderful about BWV is that you can actually have a WDW vacation and not feel exhausted at the end. It's easy to "retire" from the hustle and bustle and enjoy the pool and the resort activities.

We went to Cirque du Soleil one night in Downtown Disney and were so overwhelmed by the crowds after the show that we hurried back to BWV, walked around a bit, then settled into Beaches and Cream over at the Yacht and Beach Club. It was so enjoyable.

The day care is open until midnight, I believe, and we left our 10 and 8 year-olds after dinner for what we thought would be about an hour. They actually asked us if we could go find something to do for longer. So we went over to Jelly Rolls and Atlantic Dance. Where else can you feel that your kids are safe and entertained and have an incredible night out "on the town"?

We just had so much fun. I kept a diary so that I wouldn't forget all the many things we were able to do from BWV. And don't forget Fantasia Gardens. That's a quick walk and the kids thought they were in mini-golf heaven.

We, of course, had planned to go back next year, to clear BWV out of our systems before we tried another resort, but we just got back from HH, and we really cannot decide where to go next. They are both just so great for families, but they are very different experiences. I think we all have to figure out how to squeeze as much as we can out of those points.

Carolyn

Hi Mickey-Maniac,
As far as noise from clubs, I had a standard view and overlooked the front door or valet area. I have say, the balcony doors are real quality with a tight fit. I can't see much sound coming in. Then again, I have a 1 year old who still wakes up occasionally at night, I can't remember the concept of a quiet night's sleep.

enjoy the BW, it's awesome.

Dave

I have a question for TheWho. You mentioned that there were performers on the BW. When we were there they had the BW Buskers. I heard they were cancelled and I was wondering what performers they have there now?
My kids (11 & 8) loved the Buskers. I just hope the new entertainment is as good.

We purchased a BWV resale, and hopefully will actually stay there someday! Right now it looks like it will be OKW for the first trip, perhaps BWV next year.

I see you're from Paramus...I grew up in Dumont. "Paramus" always makes me think of MALLS! :D Is Van Saun Park IN Paramus? Brought my kids there last year to see where I went when I was growing up. :D

Diane,

If you buy the minimum 150 points or more a second time, it is not considered an add on to the first contract, but is considered a separate contract. You can then choose any use year you want. Even if you are buying at the same resort.

Dumbo

Hi dvcdudes,
Unfortunately, I did not see any performers named Buskers. I never saw the Buskers so I not sure what to think of. However, here's the performers I did see. There was a guy who balanced swords and all other kind of dangerous stuff. A lady who swallowed fire and did some cowboy roping stuff. A guy who rode around playing the piano. (I justed asked my wife, she did see a group of guys playing banjo's and horns) Hope this helps.

Hi MaryAnnDVC,
Yes, I do live right near Van Saun Park. (walking distance) As a matter of fact, I was just there tonight with the kids. I grew up going there too with my Grandfather taking us on the train. Glad to hear from you. Best wishes.

Dave

:D :cool :D :cool:

Thanks for the great images!

We own at BW and are heading
"home" for our 1st stay in Nov.

Can't wait.

We have a real little one,
who will be 11 months when
we go.

Naturally she won't remeber
anything but we will.
She's usually so happy and
loves people so I think WDW
will amuse her to no end.

Must get lots of pictures.
Anyway, thanks again for
spreading a little magic.

- NYTIGGR :D

What a great thread!!

My home is OKW - but I am on the waitlist for BWV for October. (wish me luck)

If you have kids that are around 3-8, they have activities at Community Hall. They have an activity daily - it is a good break after coming back from the parks and before going swimming. Last year, my girls (3 and 4) made t-shirts with stamps on them - every time they wear them we think of "home".

My girls loved watching the Buskers. It seemed like every evening we hung out on the Boardwalk and watched the fireworks at EPCOT from there.

Also, on Friday and Saturday nights there is a DJ that gets the kids involved.

:p

>disvaclub92 said:

If you have kids that are around 3-8, they have activities at Community Hall<

I assume this is the hall near the Villas Quiet Pool - Is this pool truly quiet, or are there children around most of the time.

We are regulars to the Boardwalk, having stayed at the Inn most every year since it opened, and this autumn will be our first visit as DVC members. We are now in the grandchildren phase of our life, and enjoy our quiet time by the pool without children. Will we get that at the Villas side quiet pool, or do we need to 'cross the lobby' to the Inn sise quiet pool?

Andrew

Andrew,

You are correct. The quiet pool is near Community Hall. Every time we went to community hall for an activity, there were no kids in sight. Besides, right around the corner is Keister Coaster - and you know the kids would rather hang out there.

So you should have no problem relaxing.

Have Fun:cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter