Just back from Girls Only trip 10/4-10/7

Kuilima

Mouseketeer
I'd consider myself a Disneyland veteran who attends the parks yearly. This trip included my mom and three sisters.
Pros:
- made forever memories with Mom and sisters
- Courtyard Anaheim Theme Park Entrance was fabulous
- great food and service at Blue Bayou
- pretty good food and service at Carnation Cafe
- mobile ordering was easy and convenient
- Genie+ worked okay at Disneyland
- overall nice guests and CM's

Cons:
- ride closures and breakdowns at both parks
- still waiting for my $75 ILL refund for RSR which went down for hours
- Genie+/ILL was a total waste at DCA due to closures and early park closing
- insane crowds
- dirty bathrooms
- no fireworks and practically zero entertainment
- sewage smell
- rundown rides with elements not working

Everything is a money grab. Luckily we were a group of adults this trip, but families with kids must pay a pretty penny to avoid extremely long lines. I witnessed several irate parents who bought ILL/Genie+ only to be disappointed by ride closures. First time park goers, especially foreign visitors, would not be impressed with Disneyland/DCA parks as they currently operate. If Disney is hoping to reduce crowds by pricing people out, it's on the right track. But the saddest thing was seeing frustrated guests due to ride closures. I've never experienced so many closures in a three-day period. Whatever the excuses may be, it's unacceptable.

I thought the Halloween Screams was doing the nightly light show? I know fireworks went off on the 7th (we are here) as did Fantasmic!.

Curious about the crowds--would you say they were nuts every day?
BFF & I are doing 1 day both parks Oct. 18, starting at DCA as Oogie Boogie is there that night.

I'd consider myself a Disneyland veteran who attends the parks yearly. This trip included my mom and three sisters.
Pros:
- made forever memories with Mom and sisters
- Courtyard Anaheim Theme Park Entrance was fabulous
- great food and service at Blue Bayou
- pretty good food and service at Carnation Cafe
- mobile ordering was easy and convenient
- Genie+ worked okay at Disneyland
- overall nice guests and CM's

Cons:
- insane crowds
- dirty bathrooms
- sewage smell
- rundown rides with elements not working

Everything is a money grab. Luckily we were a group of adults this trip, but families with kids must pay a pretty penny to avoid extremely long lines. I witnessed several irate parents who bought ILL/Genie+ only to be disappointed by ride closures. First time park goers, especially foreign visitors, would not be impressed with Disneyland/DCA parks as they currently operate. If Disney is hoping to reduce crowds by pricing people out, it's on the right track. But the saddest thing was seeing frustrated guests due to ride closures. I've never experienced so many closures in a three-day period. Whatever the excuses may be, it's unacceptable.
I'm glad you were able to make nice memories with your mom & sisters — What a great idea for a trip. I've heard great things about Courtyard Marriott but haven't gone myself yet.

That's such a bummer about the cons, especially the ride closures. I'm surprised they are still happening so frequently.

How long were you there? Was there anything you especially liked?

I'm glad you were able to make nice memories with your mom & sisters — What a great idea for a trip. I've heard great things about Courtyard Marriott but haven't gone myself yet.

That's such a bummer about the cons, especially the ride closures. I'm surprised they are still happening so frequently.

How long were you there? Was there anything you especially liked?
We had 3-day hoppers. Other than spending quality time with my mom and sisters, there was nothing about the parks that stood out in particular. Paying for Genie+ and ILL Rise saved us time and energy in DL. My 67-yr-old mom appreciated not having to stand in those long lines.

Well, there was one exciting event! We saw a celebrity. Rebel Wilson was taking pictures with Chewbacca and Rey when we were waiting to redeem our Rise ILL. I got great pictures and video.

I thought the Halloween Screams was doing the nightly light show? I know fireworks went off on the 7th (we are here) as did Fantasmic!.
Yes, fireworks and Fantasmic are offered on weekends. We left Friday morning. Halloween Screams is nightly with projections only. We saw the full show pre-covid, so seeing it without fireworks didn't appeal to us.

We had 3-day hoppers. Other than spending quality time with my mom and sisters, there was nothing about the parks that stood out in particular. Paying for Genie+ and ILL Rise saved us time and energy in DL. My 67-yr-old mom appreciated not having to stand in those long lines.

Well, there was one exciting event! We saw a celebrity. Rebel Wilson was taking pictures with Chewbacca and Rey when we were waiting to redeem our Rise ILL. I got great pictures and video.
That's so cool!

I was there for a mother-daughter day on the 7th and the ride closures were incredibly disappointing and there were A LOT of irate people because of it. Haunted Mansion, Indie, and BTMRR were all closed for at least the first hour. BTMRR and HM opened at around 9 but by the time we walked over to BTMRR at 9:20 it was down again. Indie didn’t come up until around 10. We walked into DCA around 2 and Goofy’s Flight School was down and it didn’t come back up until 7pm. RSR was off and on all day causing crushing lines at the other two CL rides, as well as Monsters and GotG. We had a glitch with G+ and went to guest services where there were a lot of really upset parents with one mom who was crying because they’d rope dropped DCA, had 1-park tickets, and had only been on 3 rides and none of the rides were their “must do” rides because those ones broke down every single time they were in line for them. I can’t imagine paying that kind of money and for it to be that miserable. I

We had a fun day but only because I forced myself to go with the flow and let my daughter take the lead with ride decisions. We have Keys so we can come back and redeem a bad day. It’s terrible for people who are here on a yearly trip.

BFF & I are doing 1 day both parks Oct. 18, starting at DCA as Oogie Boogie is there that night.
Also not the OP but October is very busy. I would check the app on the weeks and days leading up to your trip to get an idea of how the parks are.

Crowds are normal for fall break. However, ride closures and lack of entertainment results in long lines and congestion. Hyperion theater closed. Fantasyland theater closed. Toontown closed. Same amount of people, less areas/attractions to spread out the crowds.

I suggest you arrive early for rope drop, ask a CM what rides are down (RSR was down for our rope drop), use single rider, be flexible, go in with low expectations. If you get genie+, use it sooner rather than later.

Good point about closed entertainment congesting other areas.
Planning to be at DCA at 7AM, use single rider, maximize G+, possibly use ILL.
Good tip to ask what is down at rope drop!
Will expect waits.
Head to DL when done at DCA/after 1...we have until midnight to get it all in!

Cons:
- insane crowds
- dirty bathrooms
- sewage smell

We were there from September 22-25, I noticed the sewage smell at several spots. Outside by the restrooms near Red Rose Tavern was the worst.

I'm sorry to hear about the ILL refund status! I've never bought one and would be totally irked if I paid and couldn't ride the attraction I paid extra for!

I was there for a mother-daughter day on the 7th and the ride closures were incredibly disappointing and there were A LOT of irate people because of it. Haunted Mansion, Indie, and BTMRR were all closed for at least the first hour. BTMRR and HM opened at around 9 but by the time we walked over to BTMRR at 9:20 it was down again. Indie didn’t come up until around 10. We walked into DCA around 2 and Goofy’s Flight School was down and it didn’t come back up until 7pm. RSR was off and on all day causing crushing lines at the other two CL rides, as well as Monsters and GotG. We had a glitch with G+ and went to guest services where there were a lot of really upset parents with one mom who was crying because they’d rope dropped DCA, had 1-park tickets, and had only been on 3 rides and none of the rides were their “must do” rides because those ones broke down every single time they were in line for them. I can’t imagine paying that kind of money and for it to be that miserable. I

We had a fun day but only because I forced myself to go with the flow and let my daughter take the lead with ride decisions. We have Keys so we can come back and redeem a bad day. It’s terrible for people who are here on a yearly trip.
This and OP's report are disheartening to read as an East Coaster who loves to visit Disneyland. My sister and I wanted to go for Oogie Boogie Bash next year but we've decided to indefinitely postpone that trip since we don't think going is worth the money and stress right now due to the insane crowds, long ride downtimes and rides having broken effects. I understand fall/Halloween time is typically busy but this is a little too stressful since we're not Magic Key holders and can't go with the flow.

This and OP's report are disheartening to read as an East Coaster who loves to visit Disneyland. My sister and I wanted to go for Oogie Boogie Bash next year but we've decided to indefinitely postpone that trip since we don't think going is worth the money and stress right now due to the insane crowds, long ride downtimes and rides having broken effects. I understand fall/Halloween time is typically busy but this is a little too stressful since we're not Magic Key holders and can't go with the flow.
Yeah kinda wishing we could postpone…but it is what it is so will go with the flow!

Crowds are normal for fall break. However, ride closures and lack of entertainment results in long lines and congestion. Hyperion theater closed. Fantasyland theater closed. Toontown closed. Same amount of people, less areas/attractions to spread out the crowds.

I suggest you arrive early for rope drop, ask a CM what rides are down (RSR was down for our rope drop), use single rider, be flexible, go in with low expectations. If you get genie+, use it sooner rather than later.

It kills me that nothing is showing at the Hyperion…. That and Mickey and the Magical Map were great shows that drew crowds away and were easy to see if you needed a break from the lines etc. I do not understand why they haven’t recast these shows. They also need a daytime parade like yesterday. I realize it’s coming back in the spring, but oh man. They need it now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter